Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman complains about getting "groped" in video game, makes national news

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Woman complains about getting "groped" in video game, makes national news

If you need proof how stupid, petty, and hypersensitive this world is getting, read this: https://medium.com/athena-talks/my-f...2ee#.nofv8esw6

A woman named Jordan Belamire claims she was "groped" in a VR game called QuiVr.

In between a wave of zombies and demons to shoot down, I was hanging out next to BigBro442, waiting for our next attack. Suddenly, BigBro442’s disembodied helmet faced me dead-on. His floating hand approached my body, and he started to virtually rub my chest.

“Stop!” I cried. I must have laughed from the embarrassment and the ridiculousness of the situation. Women, after all, are supposed to be cool, and take any form of sexual harassment with a laugh. But I still told him to stop.

This goaded him on, and even when I turned away from him, he chased me around, making grabbing and pinching motions near my chest. Emboldened, he even shoved his hand toward my virtual crotch and began rubbing.

There I was, being virtually groped in a snowy fortress with my brother-in-law and husband watching.

As it progressed, my joking comments toward BigBro442 turned angrier, and were peppered with frustrated obscenities. At first, my brother-in-law and husband laughed along with me— all they could see was the flat computer screen version of the groping. Outside the total immersion of the QuiVr world, this must have looked pretty funny, and definitely not real.

Remember that little digression I told you about how the hundred foot drop looked so convincing? Yeah. Guess what. The virtual groping feels just as real. Of course, you’re not physically being touched, just like you’re not actually one hundred feet off the ground, but it’s still scary as hell.

SJWs and feminists everywhere picked up on this story. Rather than becoming fodder for jokes, as it properly should, this is being taken seriously as an actual crisis in the world of gaming. It's being labeled as a "virtual reality sexual assault".

Mind you, the player being "assaulted" does not feel anything, nor do they see any private parts or have any indication they are being "touched" other than seeing a cartoonish hand reaching for them.

The developer of the game stated to CNN that his "heart sank" when he heard about this story, and he immediately created a new control called a "personal bubble", an option you can select which forces players to stay out of your personal space (lol).

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/25/tech...d=hp-stack-dom

Also, I have to wonder if there is a financial motivation to this author expressing such outrage, which she likely knew would appeal to feminists and man-haters everywhere. Despite being married, under the blog it clearly states, "Jordan Belamire is the author of the upcoming novel, Swaying Magnolia, an adult f/f romance."

So this OMG-men-are-victimizing-me-online blog might be a perfect marketing tool to promote Jordan's lesbian romance novel, which is likely to appeal to the type of person who finds her blog worthy of sympathy.

Additionally, I have to wonder if the author's lesbian tendencies are contributing to her hypersensitive nature regarding being "touched" in a video game. If you already dislike men and see them as disgusting sexual predators, you're much less likely to laugh something like this off.

Comments

SysOp: so raged you typo'd the title, try to relax

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Interestingly, Jordan Belamire just deleted her Twitter: http://twitter.com/JordanBelamire

I wonder if her blog backfired, and got her a lot of unwanted attention or criticism.

Here is the only picture of her I can find, which was also deleted from the web when she closed her Twitter.

Name:  belamire.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  4.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the blog, Jordan tried to explain how the VR-groping felt real. She mentioned earlier in the blog that she stood on a 100-foot virtual cliff earlier in the game (before the groping), and it felt real and scary to look down through the VR goggles.

She attempted to convince the reader that being groped was basically the same sensation -- something scary and unnerving which feels real, even if you know it isn't.

But that comparison fails for a big reason.

When looking down over a cliff in a VR game, it makes sense that you're scared because your eyes can only see a huge, scary drop below you, and therefore it can feel like you will actually fall if you step off of it.

However, the same isn't true for physical contact. If it were, nobody would play games involving physical battles, as being shot or punched in the game would feel paniful and traumatic.

Notice that Jordan does not complain about any unpleasant sensation regarding being physically attacked by zombies or shot with arrows (both of which are part of the game). For some reason, attacks of physical violence in the game were totally fine, yet a cartoonish hand grabbing at her VR body was traumatic and felt real? I doubt that.

You can't have it both ways.

If physical contact sensations in VR feel so real, then you shouldn't want to (or enjoy) playing games involving blood, gore, and death.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some guy made a video commenting on this.

Most interesting is his claim that, at the time of Jordan's blog, there was no BigBro442 on QuiVr, which means she either got the name wrong, changed it, or made the whole thing up.

Load Metric
    what is this The Lawnmower Man?
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    what is this The Lawnmower Man?
    I think its Max Headroom.

Comments

LarryLaffer: nice call

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Next problem:

According to my database, no Jordan Belamire exists in the United States.

She claims to live in Redwood City, CA.

Now I am really doubting this story.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Next problem:

According to my database, no Jordan Belamire exists in the United States.

She claims to live in Redwood City, CA.

Now I am really doubting this story.

your database?

LOL what database. you mean the yellowpages?

Comments

SysOp:
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    lol nice tilt over a fake story.

Comments

LarryLaffer:

PLOL: hof

Load Metric
    So druff expressed real outrage about a a fake story about something in virtual reality. Thats outrageous.

Comments

SysOp: this gets rep

Suicide King: Nails

LarryLaffer: legit this is fucking comedy gold

gimmick:

Corrigan: hof
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    So druff expressed real outrage about a a fake story about something in virtual reality. Thats outrageous.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    between this and druff touting his extensive "database"

Load Metric
    Time to give Druff the bag
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Was her VR persona attractive/young enough to be e-assaulted?

Comments

SysOp: oh yes this is funny
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Was her VR persona attractive/young enough to be e-assaulted?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Listen up you trollish retards.

I read this blog a few days ago when it was going around social media. I didn't bother posting it here because it looked like it might be fake, and even if it were real, it wasn't exactly thread-worthy to post a blog of some closeted lesbian whining about being groped by a video game character.

However, today when I saw it on the CNN front page, where they went as far to talk to the game designer who implemented a new feature to prevent it, I figured the due diligence was done, and this actually happened, as stupid as it might be.

I even googled "jordan belamire hoax" prior to posting it here, just in case CNN was asleep at the switch. Got nothing except for that fat dude's video I posted earlier, and even he wasn't doubting that Jordan herself was real.

A few minutes after posting the thread, I wondered if Jordan even existed at all, especially considering the dearth of pictures of her on the internet. I checked my database, and yeah, she turned out to be fake.

Which I think is a pretty interesting discovery given that CNN front-paged the story today and there isn't a single post I can find on the internet stating that the victim doesn't actually exist.

Laugh at my database all you want, but I actually do have one, and it's been very useful for matters large and small that have come up over the years.

Bottom line is that I put out real effort to bring interesting content here, which is important given that nobody is going to have anything to talk about in two weeks when the election is over and the Cubs have choked for their 108th year in a row.

Load Metric
    Druff answer the question about your database and does it involve binders of women? Also what is the first name of my third oldest cousin?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Listen up you trollish retards.
    You really shouldn't lash out at your users like this druff, you've been very angry lately. is it the Dodgers losing that's got you all worked up?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Druff answer the question about your database and does it involve binders of women? Also what is the first name of my third oldest cousin?
    Let's not regress to 2012 now

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Probably related, gamergate (whatever that is) red pilled or gave rise to a shitload of the alt right.

Thread Information