Thread: The benefits of an MBA?

Load Metric

The benefits of an MBA?

I currently work as a Budget Analyst for a major communications company.

I have a Bachelors in Finance and am currently looking to get into the banking side of the industry. With that said I won't even get looked at for a Financial Analyst position without an MBA.

I have started looking into graduate schools and have a few I am planning on applying to. I am nervous about having to take out more loans and whether it will be cost effective and beneficial to obtain an MBA just to get a pay bump in a job, that let's be honest, is not guaranteed.

Anyone hold an MBA? Are you glad you obtained it? Has it aided you in your career?
    "I hit that shot because it was a defining moment and when a defining moment comes along, you either define the moment or the moment defines you" Roy "Tin Cup" Mcevoy

Load Metric
    You gotta admit there is humor in an MBA candidate that can't do a cost benefit analysis on the value of an MBA.

Some people pursue advanced degrees because they are intellectually curious about a subject which interest them.

If you are considering a career or education that is simply an exchange of your time for money then you are squandering the short time you have left. It goes fucking fast.

Some people actually like what they do. They would like to learn more. It ain't a cost benefit issue. Those people generally do well. They are usually happier and healthier.

Looking back on my life as I riff there was only one subject in school that actually had me walking out of class saying "that is fucking cool" and that was electronic engineering. I veered wildly off course. I now have trouble with my phone.

I will say the worst career decisions were those I made for the money. Always ended in regret and misery. I was always a terrible soldier.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegnation22 View Post

I have a Bachelors in Finance and am currently looking to get into the banking side of the industry. With that said I won't even get looked at for a Financial Analyst position without an MBA.

I have started looking into graduate schools and have a few I am planning on applying to. I am nervous about having to take out more loans and whether it will be cost effective and beneficial to obtain an MBA just to get a pay bump in a job, that let's be honest, is not guaranteed.

Anyone hold an MBA? Are you glad you obtained it? Has it aided you in your career?
    If you have a pretty good idea what you want to do you're probably better off getting a more specialized designation like a CFA. If you are unsure but looking for a career change or to work in a different area of business then a MBA can be the way to go. One of the most valuable aspects of a MBA program is the connections you make leading to future job prospects.

For that reason I wouldn't recommend doing an online MBA, wouldn't recommend going to a school in an area you don't want to live in after graduation and wouldn't recommend going to a MBA program that isn't considered really good. They can be extremely worth it or a colossal waste of money depending on the situation and school.

Personally if I was fighting a serious addiction I wouldn't even consider it unless I had been clean for a long period of time.

Comments

Henry: Solid

Tegnation22: Thanks

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegnation22 View Post

If you have a pretty good idea what you want to do you're probably better off getting a more specialized designation like a CFA. If you are unsure but looking for a career change or to work in a different area of business then a MBA can be the way to go. One of the most valuable aspects of a MBA program is the connections you make leading to future job prospects.

For that reason I wouldn't recommend doing an online MBA, wouldn't recommend going to a school in an area you don't want to live in after graduation and wouldn't recommend going to a MBA program that isn't considered really good. They can be extremely worth it or a colossal waste of money depending on the situation and school.

Personally if I was fighting a serious addiction I wouldn't even consider it unless I had been clean for a long period of time.
    Thanks for the response.

Yes, I am fighting an addiction but I function daily. I go to work and have many hobbies, but I do need to clear my head and focus.

I wouldn't be enrolling until Fall 2017 so that does give me time. I am looking to attend the Carroll School of Management at Boston College and it has high rankings from many lists. I am also looking at Boston University or go back to Seton Hall....I currently live in Boston and plan to live/work here for a long time so I will be living in the area I get the MBA from unless I choose Seton Hall

I have limited knowledge about the CFA but I do know it takes about 4 years to get the charter. I guess I should delve further into which would help me advance my job prospects.
    "I hit that shot because it was a defining moment and when a defining moment comes along, you either define the moment or the moment defines you" Roy "Tin Cup" Mcevoy

Thread Information