Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kristy Arnett scammed for 20k was karma biting her in the ass

Load Metric

Kristy Arnett scammed for 20k was karma biting her in the ass

I used to read card player magazine which is owned by barry schulman. He got a subscription poker site up and running hoping poker would be legalized and he would have a huge player base. There where about 10,000ish players on there. He had some pretty big prizes which included a 30k monthly feeroll. Everyone knew Arnett was a promoter of the site and received a paycheck from them. Low and behold the maybe 10th freeroll she played she binked for 7,000 usd and had a player field of around 4,000 or so. Aside from the rig aspect people where up in arms that a paid employee was allowed to play and shouldn't have been. She never played another tournament on the site. Just another shady dealing with Barry Shulman.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Unless Kristy is an owner or works in some capacity in management at CardPlayer, there is no reason in the world she shouldn't be able to play in their games.

Players can contribute to and support various magazines without being restricted from playing in sponsored events just as poker pros for PokerStars can play on PokerStars' tables. It takes more than simply receiving a paycheck to make that person an insider.

More generally speaking, characterizing Kristy, of all people, as a shady character is a real stretch. There are few people in the poker world who are as much of an open book as is Kristy Arnett.
    Last edited by SantaCruz; 10-13-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Kristy that had any merit to it.

As for winning this freeroll anything can happen. If they ran it 10 times and Kristy or other cardplayer employees made up 3 of the winners then I'd question the integrity too, but not from just one tournament. She played it 10 times and won once? The odds are rare for anyone to win a 4000 entry field but if you play 10 times then 10 people are going to win those events so it's not crazy for her to bink one.

Kristy's main flaw in being scammed is because she is too nice that a thief took advantage of her gullibility.

With her involvement in the poker world Kristy should have questioned things going on before jumping in but she got excited with a business idea too much that she just went with it.

If I recall Kristy mentioned in her podcast about how she discussed this mentor business with her husband first so if he was skeptical a bit he should have talked her out of it or done more due diligence himself before they invested.

Kristy clearly got screwed over and didn't deserve to be but she could have done much more investigating, which she admits.

Comments

SantaCruz: Exactly

Load Metric
    It was her first 10k tournament and last , she never played on spade club again. binking against 4,000 player field? comeon now.

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news...esss-39-arnett

Maybe im wrong but would it be above barry to rig it up for her? huge lol at questioner asking her how she heard of spade club in the link above. It was the 2nd 40k freeroll in history of the site she didn't play it 10 times. It was her highest tourney she ever won!!! Get out of town Kristy!

Barry shulman is such a slime bucket. His reasoning for advertising for lock when Lock stopped paying players was a legal obligation. Its not possible he could have programmed the software for the win? 4000 is a lot of donks and she won it on the second time it was run in history of the site and never played at spade club lol again.

Comments

Ryback_feed_me_more: TinFoil hat much there Frankie?? So did you play in this same tourney and you got hosed by Kristy it sounds like..
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 10-13-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    First of all, she's a pretty good player.

Secondly, it's pretty hard to fathom that she is some kind of one time superuser.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Is this a joke?

Load Metric
    Most ridiculous shit I've ever read. Terrible read.

Load Metric
    how about a link to whatever the title of the OP is about? ffs
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Frank, I disagree with you about Kristy. While the Shulmans are scummy people for promoting Lock Poker long after they KNEW it was a scam, I have no problem with Kristy, and I don't believe she did anything wrong here.

Regarding her getting scammed for $20k, here is the story: https://www.upswingpoker.com/kristy-...20k-taught-me/

That's Kristy explaining it in her own blog. I believe everything she wrote.

Kristy is a nice girl, but she seems a bit gullible and too trusting. She is also a big believer in Choice Center, which puts an ever bigger exclamation mark on the "gullible" part.

She actually rationalizes at the end of the article that the experience of getting scammed for $20k was a "success" because she learned a lot from it.

Um... no. You can learn to avoid scammers without losing anything. And even if you do need to learn from experience, you can learn it for a hell of a lot less than $20k. Hell, guys like cla, Templar, or Jasep from this site would have been happy to scam Kristy for $200 to teach her this "lesson".

The alleged scammer was Chris Sweis. He wrote a rebuttal to her story here: https://medium.com/@coolbearcjs/ever...58e#.d29zloby8

Chris has a Twitter, which is http://twitter.com/coolbearcjs

He follows me on there, and sometimes listens to PFA Radio. He is a big supporter of Donald Trump. He's obsessed with bitcoin, and had some big falling out with Micon due to some Seals-related business deal gone bad. Chris attempted to explain to me over the phone what happened, but it was unclear to me who was actually at fault. He also gave me a bunch of "confidential info" regarding all of these terrible legal consequences Micon was about to face (this was after his initial encounter with police in February 2015), none of which came true (or even came close to coming true).

In May 2016, I was looking for bitcoin fast (same day), and Chris DM'd me on Twitter. However, he wanted to charge me some awful markup (like over 10%), and I refused in principle to pay it. So no deal was made. While he had the right to charge whatever markup he wanted, I was irritated that a PFA Radio listener (and someone who told me over the phone that he "really respected" me) would try to gouge me like this.

From reading both sides of this story, along with my exposures to both Kristy and Chris, I am guessing that he really did scam her, and that her story is pretty accurate. However, I have not investigated this to any extent, so I can't say for certain.

Anyway, I think Kristy has a lot going for her, but as Stanley Kubrick once famously said about Steven King, Kristy "feels too much and thinks too little".

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: Ok fair enough just thought unlikely legit she does seem really sweet

LarryLaffer: thanks for the relevant links/info.

Load Metric
    Besides traveling around the world, did Kristy make any real money working for PokerNews?

She became a "professional poker pro" then she and her husband moved to San Diego.
    Are there poker pro's that are making a living in San Diego?

Her tournament winnings are about $17K lifetime.
    Her husband has the biggest tournament score in her family, finishing 28th ($211K) at the WSOP main event in 2015.

She is a writer, speaker, fitness trainer and wants to be a life coach because of her experience with the Choice Center (Daniel Negreanu paid for her to do it a few years ago).

An APP for on-demand mentoring? She must have been high on drugs no way you could make money off that.

Comments

LarryLaffer: I have an idea for an app that is a snap chat type filter that turns your face into a juggalo

Daniel72: good looking

Ryback_feed_me_more: reality is most poker pros who make money arent on Hendon Mob and also HM doesnt track cash games and second reality most pros make their money in cash games not tournies usually due to tournies having much more variance overall vs cash games

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    I used to read card player magazine which is owned by barry schulman. He got a subscription poker site up and running hoping poker would be legalized and he would have a huge player base. There where about 10,000ish players on there. He had some pretty big prizes which included a 30k monthly feeroll. Everyone knew Arnett was a promoter of the site and received a paycheck from them. Low and behold the maybe 10th freeroll she played she binked for 7,000 usd and had a player field of around 4,000 or so. Aside from the rig aspect people where up in arms that a paid employee was allowed to play and shouldn't have been. She never played another tournament on the site. Just another shady dealing with Barry Shulman.

I'm not sure if this allowed, but I'd love to comment on this. I've never commented on SpadeClub until now. I know this thread is pretty old, but it's my name, and truth is important to me.

SpadeClub was born from the Shulman's who owned CardPlayer. When they started the company, they made it separate from CardPlayer but existed under the same roof. It was clear whether you worked for SpadeClub or you worked for CardPlayer. Because we were totally separate, SpadeClub employees were not allowed to play but CardPlayer employees were encouraged to play, try out the beta, and give feedback.

Every month there was a "Main Event" and the top prize was $10,000. I played all of them with not much luck until the one I won. As CP employees, we ALL played because the layover was so big! I remember sitting on the couch playing and I was so nervous!! When the last card was dealt, I was in disbelief. It was more money than I'd ever come close to winning before. I was so happy.

When I came to work the next day, I was excited, but quickly felt self conscious because it didn't seem like anyone was really excited for me. My boss, Justin Marchand was always in my corner and said, "Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong." But I remember SpadeClub managers needing have a meeting for how they were going to handle me winning since there were already SpadeClub members irate because I won. They kept posting RIGGED everywhere. If any other CardPlayer employee had won, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but I was one of the faces of the company.

I really appreciate this website because it gives people the opportunity to share and tell truths to prevent other people from getting scammed. I also am really aware of how dangerous it can be when throwing people under the bus with the words "scam." It's really important to understand these are real humans. Before you post something like that you want to have REAL evidence.

I also appreciate those who have commented about my character.

And just quickly, about me getting scammed- you know the saying, "If you never get bluffed, you're calling too much?" -That's how I think about it. I choose to see the best in people while of course being smart and learning from my mistakes. It was embarrassing to talk about all the mistakes I'd made, but I wanted to prevent other people from getting scammed as well.

Thanks guys.
    Kristy Arnett

Comments

Charham: Thanks for your thoughts.

anchordraw: Kristy is class act. Definitely not a person I think would scam anyone.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Thank you for your comments, Kristy.

(Also, it's verified that the above post was really her.)

I don't feel you did anything wrong regarding Spade Club, nor do I think it was rigged in any way.

You've always seemed like a very nice person, and I felt very bad for you when I read your heartfelt blog about being scammed. I completely believed your story.

Thanks for posting.

Silver
    Load Metric
    She can and should sue for her $20k imo.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    She is playing on a LATB streaming WSOPC Final Table on Youtube right now. 9th is 20k. First is 217k. 1700 buy-in.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I just saw this on twitter.

Kristy sure was a luck sack in this hand.

You probably have to click the image to see it but what a sick run out.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    She cashed for like 55k last week

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Johnnie Vibes, husband of Kristy, calling Chris Sweis out again:

https://twitter.com/JohnnieVibes/status/1326361805288067073

Comments

shoeshine box: "It takes to much time" Vibes. In Re: to make a you tube video..Thx,Pal.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's some other history on Sweis, who apparently has been accused of scamming before, dating back to 2008:

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports...of-40000-61835

https://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/.../20081117.html

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Johnnie Vibes, husband of Kristy, calling Chris Sweis out again:

https://twitter.com/JohnnieVibes/status/1326361805288067073
    Minor correction. Kristy is married to Andrew Moreno, Johnie Vibes brother.
    Last edited by AhoosierA; 11-11-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    First of all, she's a pretty good player.

Secondly, it's pretty hard to fathom that she is some kind of one time superuser.
    Wish her all the best. Semmes like a genuine and nice person. I was out of bounds. She didn't deserve to be scammed for 20k.

Comments

duped_samaritan:
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 11-11-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Thread Information