Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolled: A Diabetic Saga

Banned
    Load Metric

Rolled: A Diabetic Saga

July 26th: I find out via the ER that I'm rushed to that I have diabetes. Normal blood sugar levels is 90, I'm at a staggering 628! I'm told that I'm lucky to not be in a diabetic coma, I spend 12hrs in the ER being shot up with potassium (which hurts), multiple bags of fluids and eventually insulin that I can actually taste in my mouth while being injected.

So, I dodge a bullet but I need to make drastic changes in my life, immediately. First up, carbs. I just cut that shit almost all together out of my life. According to my dietitian I'm allowed 45-60 carbohydrates per meal and 20 for snacks and I literally cut them down to around 10-20 per meal and skip snacks. i'm like 300 pounds and my arms are as flabby as gare and his low-t.

Honestly diabetes scared the shit out of me, so changing my diet immediately wasn't that difficult of a challenge and I just start cruising on that low carb high protein plan. Plus taking the minimal dose for metformin (500mg, twice daily with food). At first I heard that metformin fucks with your stomach and a lot of people try and get off of it. This was not the case, at least for me. It also aids in weight loss. Fast forward to today and I've lost 52+lbs (since July 26th) and I'm still dropping weight. So I start to throw in exercise, I'm jogging every morning, doing sit ups, push ups and hindu squats.

The first thing I notice is the pain in my feet almost immediately goes away, I was definitely on a path of perm. Neuropathy in my hands in feet. They would go numb and the pain was excruciating! But that shit almost immediately went away for me!

One thing I've noticed is that I'm not as hungry as I used to be and when I am hungry I can slam the shit out of veggies, salads and high protein meat. I'm sure the next thing I'll hear from my primary care physician is that my salt levels are skyrocketing, but ill have to deal with that later.

All in all, I feel amazing, I feel like im 25 again! I'm like the energizer bunny, I never get tired anymore and I just constantly do cardio workouts when I get up to take care of something/anything at all really.

My goal right now is to get down to like 180-200 and start throwing around weights instead of just working on my cardio.

Beat: Type 2 Diabetes
    Brag: Lost 50+ pounds since July 26th
    Variance: A1CS + Clothes no longer fitting

Comments

Muck Ficon: Glad you are doing better. Keep it up!

Sanlmar: High sugar and forum content rep

Crowe Diddly: holy shit I never realized you were a fat fuck rep

LarryLaffer: YES!!! glad to hear you beat it.

lol wow: rofl

sonatine: fucking terrifying, congrats on weight loss + path to wellness

BetCheckBet:

adamantium: 576

Buck Nasty: congrats on the positive changes

big dick: nice job. gl

Lord of the Fraud: eye of the tiger

wrenchjockey: Fuck that diabetes right in her Pussy, broseph

Baron Von Strucker: There must be a weed based medicine to cure this

BeerAndPoker: GET EM BRUH. LEWFATHER GO LEVEL 25

IamGreek: a YUUGE OPA! to you

herbertstemple: +1

nunbeater: earned train of green

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: what's this one do?

Dupe_Fiasco:

BCR:

simpdog:

Load Metric
    Diabetes kinda scares me too since my dad has it, and I drink 12 or so mountain dews per day, and my feet sometimes go numb. I checked my blood sugar yesterday though and it was normal.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Did you get follow up blood work and a 2nd opinion any chance

Rushed to ER and on the spot accepting a life altering diabetes diagnosis seems quick. Also think people can get false diabetes type blood work if they had eaten certain foods within some hours of the test. Low Potassium btw wonder if it would have been so low if you had just eatin' a banana for example.

Either way great to make them changes you have good luck

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    You looked surprisingly fresh even after that half gallon of vodka yesterday

Comments

lewfather: Vodka and many other liquors actually lower your blood sugar count, the more you know.

Load Metric
    You would probably also feel better loosing the sperry top siders, people stopped wearing shoes like that in the late 80s- early 90s

Comments

lewfather: sperry topsider gold cup editions are god, please reframe from derailing my thread.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    You would probably also feel better loosing the sperry top siders, people stopped wearing shoes like that in the late 80s- early 90s

Nah they are kinda hip in the boating circles

If you have a Subscription to Sailing Magazine Sperry Topsiders are likely right in you're wheelhouse

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SetofKs View Post
    Diabetes kinda scares me too since my dad has it, and I drink 12 or so mountain dews per day, and my feet sometimes go numb. I checked my blood sugar yesterday though and it was normal.
    My Mother and Grandfather both had it and they both are on the shots, I suppose it was inevitable for me but my diet was horrific before finding out the bad news. I was drinking way to much pop and pounding down snacks that are super high in carbs.

Literally scared the shit out of me to the point of switching out sugary drinks for diet and water wasn't really an issue. Then skipping otu on eating chips was pretty easy for me as well because you can substitute in shit like beef jerky, very high in protein extremely low in carbs as a snack instead of pringles.

The really hard part is just basically saying goodbye to pizza and pasta for good, I mean I'm allowed 45-60 carbs a meal but essentially that is like 2 slices of pizza. So, you can eat it but if you want to fill up you're better off eating some other shit.

Plus, the days that I do splurge and go over on pasta and shit, I make it a point to go for a jog because even if i I go over on my carb limit, as long as I workout it will counter act it.

Also, it's a huge benefit to eat shit that is high in fiber because for every gram of fiber that you consume it counteracts any carb grams.

For instance, a hard taco is like 12 carbs but also 3 grams of fiber so essentially making it 9 total carbs. The best part is that you don't really have to calorie count, just kind of stay away from carbs.

But if you're experiencing Neuropathy you should definitely go to your primary care physician and check your A1CS, because that is a much thorough examination of your blood glucose levels over a 3 month span, instead of just randomly checking it by yourself.

Remember that Neuropathy cannot be reversed, so you should definitely take caution with that.

Comments

Dupe_Fiasco: keep working on it!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post

Nah they are kinda hip in the boating circles

If you have a Subscription to Sailing Magazine Sperry Topsiders are likely right in you're wheelhouse
    Big Dog lewfather aint no sailor I can tell you that much

Comments

lewfather: drunk like a sailor, maybe.

Load Metric
    Not that there is anything wrong with sailors, I hear they clear around 12K a month these days

Comments

lewfather: lollercaust

buzzy: 12k a month in the SIU

Muck Ficon: Wins the thread.

ToasterOven: lolled

nunbeater: got heem

Kuntmissioner:

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
    Did you get follow up blood work and a 2nd opinion any chance

Rushed to ER and on the spot accepting a life altering diabetes diagnosis seems quick. Also think people can get false diabetes type blood work if they had eaten certain foods within some hours of the test. Low Potassium btw wonder if it would have been so low if you had just eatin' a banana for example.

Either way great to make them changes you have good luck

Hence the last part of my OP, variance A1CS. I have no idea what my actual blood sugar levels are since I exited the ER. I was not prescribed a testing unit and I'm far to jewish to bother paying for one much less the test strips that are mind numbingly expensive. But I am due back to my primary care physician in a few weeks to check my A1CS and other various things. Since I've been crushing it ever since July 26th I decided no need to bother paying for that shit, if prescribed I can get it all for free. Which I will forsure have my Doc write out a script for me then.

Load Metric
    So a few minutes ago I polished off a German Nut Roll slathered in rich, luxurious icing.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    So a few minutes ago I polished off a German Nut Roll slathered in rich, luxurious icing.

I've actually never been tempted by sweets, my problem was always drinking calories with pop and snacking too much. But that group of delicacies would be a death sentence for me. I hope you're excorcising because eating that will have a negative impact regardless. Whether it be diabetes or a heart attack from being grossly overweight

Load Metric
    thread ruined the enjoyment of this garbage breakfast at Perkins.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 665
Size:  1.65 MB

A reminder of how random life and health is. The life test is the attitude and you don't detect one shred of denial or angry Lew.

This is how you win

Comments

The Shrink: I used to love Perkins. Granny's Country Omelet ftw. Haven't seen a Perkins in a decade.

herbertstemple: How does the food stay on the plate?

Load Metric
    I feel that people who cannot rotate pictures should not be mocking anyone ever

Comments

Muck Ficon: Lol

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post
    I feel that people who cannot rotate pictures should not be mocking anyone ever
    Is the picture off? Looks ok to me.

Load Metric
    How does Bucky feel about your new loss of mass? You taking him on long walks and runs and shit?

Load Metric
    You need to get back to your NWP glory days weight

Name:  lew.jpeg
Views: 1171
Size:  6.5 KB

Comments

lewfather: Lmfao

Load Metric
    I'm only 205 but have almost all the same symptoms lew posted.

hmmmmmmmm..........
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    I do remember in the radio chat a few weeks ago you lamenting on this. Glad you beat it!
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBet View Post
    You need to get back to your NWP glory days weight

Name:  lew.jpeg
Views: 1171
Size:  6.5 KB
    Only one problem with that pic, it aint him

Thread Information