Thread: can't dupe us no more! India government shuts down call center that was conning US citizens

Load Metric

can't dupe us no more! India government shuts down call center that was conning US citizens

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...izens-3066247/

The persons operated from call centres in Mira Road locality, which comes under the jurisdiction of Thane Rural Police, and posed as officials of US Tax Department, which is equivalent to the Income Tax Department in India, police said.
    They would call up the US citizens and demand their financial and bank details, failing which they would allegedly threaten them with dire consequences, including legal action.
    Oh what a shame, these dirty fucking assholes can't call the USA anymore and trick gullible people into sending them money.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's a positive first step in bringing back these scamming jobs to needy Americans.

So that is that. Case closed. India crushed. No need to question the Indian accent based calls anymore.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I can't believe these were originating from just one call center. This is probably one of many within Indian, which has a population of over a billion people.

The sad thing is how quickly they disconnect the call back numbers. I keep collecting them from friends who get these scam calls, for use on radio. By the time I call them, even just days later, the number is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I can't believe these were originating from just one call center. This is probably one of many within Indian, which has a population of over a billion people.

The sad thing is how quickly they disconnect the call back numbers. I keep collecting them from friends who get these scam calls, for use on radio. By the time I call them, even just days later, the number is gone.
    If you do get through to the scum get one of them to send you a pic holding up a sign like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Already done.

Name:  druffmarryme.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  27.9 KB

This is real, not photoshopped.

Already done.

Fo' reel????? HaHa

Quote Originally Posted by CrackPipes and Kakfights View Post
    Already done.

Fo' reel????? HaHa
    Maybe you shouldn't have treated this like a joke. She probably has enough booty to satisfy

Load Metric

They likely bought a large range if Direct Inward Dial numbers from their carrier. Simple process to turn on then turn back off.

Load Metric
    Indian call center employees posing as the IRS may have bilked Americans out of millions
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...381_story.html

The call centers were making more than $150,000 a day through scams that took place for a little over a year, police said.
    The callers told their American victims they were conducting a “tax revision” or that they had defaulted on payments to the IRS and would then obtain their personal financial information and withdraw money from their bank accounts, according to Param Bir Singh, a senior police officer in Mumbai who led the raid.
    Meanwhile, in another call center in a suburb of New Delhi, workers allegedly duped thousands of American citizens by offering to remove a virus from their computers, police said. On Sunday, police in Noida arrested six people for running a call center that sold insurance to Indians by day, but allegedly tricked American consumers by night with fake offers of tech support to correct malware and viruses.
    I figured that they would get in trouble for "impersonating" IRS employees and the computer scam (which they have ran for years), they call you up claiming to be from Microsoft and get you to download malware/viruses and then try to extort money out of you to fix the problem.

Both of these scams run out of Indian call centers target older Americans over 65 years old because they will listen to these calls and are more likely to be fooled by these schemes and then they send these guys their money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some asshole Indian at Dell sold my info to his scammer buddies. They were calling up Dell customers, "proving" they were Dell by telling the customer the info they had (such as the customer's service tag #), and using that old your-computer-infected-with-viruses routine to charge hundreds of dollars to "repair".

I screwed with them for awhile and recorded it, though the sound quality wasn't great since I did it on the fly and didn't have the equipment set up to record it properly.

MP3 file: http://toddwitteles.com/dellprank.mp3

They even had a (now defunct) website called dellsoftwarehelp.com

I put a lot of effort into reaching corporate Dell (very tough to do) and reporting this to them, and demanding something for them allowing my info to be stolen.

I eventually talked to someone fairly high up in the Austin office, but she decided to basically give me the finger and offered me something laughable like $100 off a computer purchase of at least $500 -- and NOT combineable with any other offer. When I told her that this wasn't any better than a coupon I could find online in 5 minutes, she slightly improved it by telling me that she'd allow it to be combined with an existing offer.

I told her that it was still a terrible offer, and they'd still be making a profit. I said I wanted some money BACK from my previous purchase to where my info was stolen, or I was going public with all of this. Surprisingly, she told me to go public if I wanted, and that she wasn't budging any further.

I told her to eat shit, that I wasn't ever buying another Dell, and that I was going to blow this up huge on the internet.

I never did attempt to go public other than on PFA, but I did stick to my guns with never ordering another Dell.

Load Metric
    might be interesting if they flip the top dogs and use them to expand laterally into the entire call center culture there, otherwise this is less than a dewdrop in the ocean.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Some asshole Indian at Dell sold my info to his scammer buddies. They were calling up Dell customers, "proving" they were Dell by telling the customer the info they had (such as the customer's service tag #), and using that old your-computer-infected-with-viruses routine to charge hundreds of dollars to "repair".

I screwed with them for awhile and recorded it, though the sound quality wasn't great since I did it on the fly and didn't have the equipment set up to record it properly.

I put a lot of effort into reaching corporate Dell (very tough to do) and reporting this to them, and demanding something for them allowing my info to be stolen.

I eventually talked to someone fairly high up in the Austin office, but she decided to basically give me the finger and offered me something laughable like $100 off a computer purchase of at least $500 -- and NOT combineable with any other offer. When I told her that this wasn't any better than a coupon I could find online in 5 minutes, she slightly improved it by telling me that she'd allow it to be combined with an existing offer.

I told her that it was still a terrible offer, and they'd still be making a profit. I said I wanted some money BACK from my previous purchase to where my info was stolen, or I was going public with all of this. Surprisingly, she told me to go public if I wanted, and that she wasn't budging any further.

I told her to eat shit, that I wasn't ever buying another Dell, and that I was going to blow this up huge on the internet.

I never did attempt to go public other than on PFA, but I did stick to my guns with never ordering another Dell.

correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this a PFA Alvin Finklestein call? or there was something like it?

I just caught the show where Nigel called the sound card people and asked for the lady in the commerical
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh, I should tell you guys the second part of this story.

I started relentlessly harassing the scam call center, as there was an inbound 800 number on the website. I just kept hammering it over and over, first telling them that I knew what they were doing and that I was going to clog their lines with junk calls, and then actually did so.

I hammered them with thousands of calls one day using an autodialer, and they were going crazy. Sometimes they were shouting obscenities, most of the time they were just hanging up. Laughably, they were answering the phone for hours while I was doing this, even though it seemed the operation wasn't very big and I was recognizing the same few voices taking the calls.

Finally I called back as myself and demanded to speak to the owner of this scam. Surprisingly, they put him on.

At first he tried to deny he was scamming anyone and played dumb, but I told him that I knew exactly what he was doing, that I would flood his call center every day until he shut the number down, and that I might just shut the number down on my own.

He then broke character and admitted that he was scamming people, and bragged to me that he makes more in a week than I will make in my entire life. We then proceeded to talk shit to one another, but at the same time I could tell he was a little bit intrigued with me.

He conceded that I could probably get his 800 number shut down, but told me that he could easily change it. I said that I could come up with the new one very quickly, and he said that he could always shut down the entire operation and move it to a different website which I would never find. I told him that he would have to do this, because I would be hammering him all day and all night with autodial calls. I told him I was an old school phone hacker and could make his life hell. He said he believed me, but had ways around "people like me" going after him.

At one point the call almost became civil, and we stopped talking trash. He admitted having an accomplice inside Dell, saying that it was actually someone in the Austin office who was feeding him the information. He said that it was someone "they would never suspect", which was why he was so confident telling me that. I didn't believe him, as it didn't seem like a coincidence that he was Indian and their entire call center is in India. Clearly he got it from someone there, and not from an American in Austin. He still insisted it was someone in Austin. I told him that I knew he was lying, as the data he had didn't include the customer address, which Austin would have had but tech support wouldn't.

He asked why I was doing this, and what I was looking for. I told him I didn't want anything but to shut him down. At that point he just hung up on me.

I hit his center with a bunch of more autodial calls, then I got bored with it and quit. Eventually it shut down anyway, though this was possibly because Dell took some kind of action.

I wish I recorded the whole thing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post

correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this a PFA Alvin Finklestein call? or there was something like it?

I just caught the show where Nigel called the sound card people and asked for the lady in the commerical

No, this call came in to my home phone, which they had from stealing the info from Dell.

Load Metric
    The government should have sent in the military to take care of this. Perfect opportunity to use a tactical nuclear strike.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Thread Information