Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a American Express Platinum Card?

Load Metric

Does anyone have a American Express Platinum Card?

I just got a mailer saying they want me to join. But its $450 a year membership fee, which is not a big deal at all but not used to paying an annual fee (I have three credit cards with lines of $25,000 and no balance whatsoever, 780 credit score btw).

But it is semi cool to have a AMEX card with a platinum facing. You know, you throw that shit down at a bar and instant baller status from the bartender and other patrons.

Anyone have one and what are the benefits other that personal status. Thinking about pulling the trigger, but I don't want to flush $450 down the drain each year unless you get some type of benefit.

Load Metric
    From my experience nobody from bartenders to other patrons give a shit about a credit card. As long as it doesn't get declined they don't even notice.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Draymond View Post
    I just got a mailer saying they want me to join. But its $450 a year membership fee, which is not a big deal at all but not used to paying an annual fee (I have three credit cards with lines of $25,000 and no balance whatsoever, 780 credit score btw).

But it is semi cool to have a AMEX card with a platinum facing. You know, you throw that shit down at a bar and instant baller status from the bartender and other patrons.

Anyone have one and what are the benefits other that personal status. Thinking about pulling the trigger, but I don't want to flush $450 down the drain each year unless you get some type of benefit.

Comments

SchoenfeldsJawMuscles:
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Can you get a personalized inscription that says "300k liquid" on the card?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    From my experience nobody from bartenders to other patrons give a shit about a credit card. As long as it doesn't get declined they don't even notice.
    I disagree. If I open a tab with a platinum card and some slob opens a tab with a debit card, who is getting better service and better drinks? That's right, its the platinum card.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I disagree. If I open a tab with a platinum card and some slob opens a tab with a debit card, who is getting better service and better drinks? That's right, its the platinum card.

I thought you quit drinking?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The bartender isn't going to give a shit.

This is especially true because so many cards call themselves "platinum" nowadays.

You should get the business version of the card if possible (you need a TIN), because that's superior. The business version comes with free Gogo internet for planes, whereas the regular version does not. I believe they have the same annual fee. If you have your own plumbing company and don't work for someone else, you should qualiy.

The main benefits of the Amex Platinum are:

- Perks at hotels. Certain hotels will give you a food credit (as much as $100) AND a free breakfast. You also get a late checkout. Again, this is only at pahticipating hotels, not all hotels. Also, there is a huge law of diminishing returns here, because your benefits for a 1-night stay are identical to benefits for a 7-night stay.

- Free Centurion lounge at airports which have it. This is a nice perk, and you can bring a few guests with you.

- $150 worth of incidental charges on airlines per year. But you need to pick the airline in advance, and you can't change it until the following year. This covers things like luggage or onboard food/drink purchases. It does NOT cover Gogo internet (but you'll get that free if you have the business version of the card). Since I know you like to get drunk a lot, this might be a great perk for you.

Load Metric
    I have an Amex Platinum card. In my experience nobody thinks any better or worse of me for it.

I know you fly off to Perth, the Caymans, Bermuda and wherever else several times per year. The plat card comes with a $200 waiver of airline expenses if you paid those expenses with the Amex. Technically it's only for "fees" like baggage charges, change fees, on-board purchases etc., but IME you can get it applied to any airline expense. The only thing is you have to choose one airline to apply it to for the whole year, though you can change any time you like until you actually use the waiver. If you don't use the whole waiver in one shot you can only use it on the same airline for the rest of the year. Still, it's nice, and knocks your effective annual fee down to $250.

Also with your busy and extensive travels you'll be happy to know the card gets you into a number of airlines' lounges, and comes with a free membership to Priority Pass Select which gets you into a lot of other lounges all over the world. And best of all it gets you into the Amex Centurion Lounges which are in a small but growing number of airports and have top top food, alcohol and service.

The card comes with free 24-hour concierge services which I've found useful for restaurants and other suggestions.

Also, you build up membership rewards points which can be used for a lot of things. You can use them 1 point per mile to purchase frequent flyer miles if you need to top off your account to get a free ticket, you can buy gift cards and lots of other things, you can even use them to pay off your card balance, but I don't use them that way because the redemption rate isn't good--1.25 points per cent you want to pay off, whereas you can get at least 1 point/cent or even better on other redemptions.

The card has no credit limit, which I know is important for a megaballer such as yourself. It also has no foreign transaction fee and you get the best exchange rates, not like most cards.

Finally, Amex has by far the best customer service of any credit card company. If you feel a merchant has screwed you, you can count on Amex to help put it right. They are very good about this. They are also very good at customer service regarding Amex itself. I've received nothing but the most helpful, courteous and satisfying service from them.

There are loads of other benefits that I am not even thinking of right now. There are places that give you free upgrades and etc. Dig deeper and read about the benefits, it's impressive.

The one thing is that not as many places take Amex as take Visa and MC, so you cannot have an Amex as your only card. Still, I find it's worth it.

Comments

Sanlmar: Funny

Load Metric
    This is 1000% false.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    The other person.....because you are a pretentious asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    I have to just put this to rest; You can pay with your card or keep the tab open, but if you are serious about getting good service from your bartender, hand them a $20 on the first drink you get, and let them know that you want them to take care of you while you're there. I use this method if it's really crowded or it's a private party and you want to skip ahead in line like you own the joint.

Load Metric

I had it for a long time as the travel benefits were good. For a while they had a buy one business class get another ticket free deal. I don't travel much anymore so I dropped it. You still get $100 credit on airlines with Gold. With some leg work you can usually replicate the travel benefits as well so I do not miss it at all. My American Airlines card gets me Admirals Club and free bags and priority check in so its much better and not a big annual fee. The centurion club access could be great, depends on how much you travel of course. Also with Gold, you still get points, which are easy to turn into gift cards. They more than cover the Gold annual fee.

Load Metric
    I hope the restaurants in Perth take American Express.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Can you get a personalized inscription that says "300k liquid" on the card?

I knew this was the same dude. lol

sick brag
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post

I have to just put this to rest; You can pay with your card or keep the tab open, but if you are serious about getting good service from your bartender, hand them a $20 on the first drink you get, and let them know that you want them to take care of you while you're there. I use this method if it's really crowded or it's a private party and you want to skip ahead in line like you own the joint.
    I have done this many times. Nothing works better.

Load Metric
    I'm just happy when they see me standing there because usually taller people are blocking my way.

so if the bartender notices me and continues to notice me, I tip very well.

sucks being short sometimes.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric

The Only Amex card anymore that means Baller status is the Black Card.. My mom has a friend (ex bf) who has one.. Now that's baller status.. (its invite only and requires something insane like 200k a year charge volume I believe)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

The Only Amex card anymore that means Baller status is the Black Card.. My mom has a friend (ex bf) who has one.. Now that's baller status.. (its invite only and requires something insane like 200k a year charge volume I believe)
    Black card is definitely out of my zipcode. But a AMEX platinum is a status symbol in my opinion. I get the fact there are some credit card companies that offer platinum with a $500 limit. I get it. But everyone with an IQ north of Larry Laffer knows the AMEX Platinum has a semi ballin quality to it. If you see a guy like myself dropping a AMEX Platinum card on the bar table or at a hotel it carries influence. When you whip out a Wells Fargo debit card to pay for shit, you are usually paycheck to paycheck.

I am going for it.

Load Metric
    But a AMEX platinum is a status symbol in my opinion.
    Excellent. Unfortunately, your opinion is hardly shared by others, especially people in the service industry. You don't have to be the brightest bulb behind the bar or have much service industry experience to realize that those with the most money are RARELY the biggest tippers.

Plenty of restaurants & bars won't even take your precious status symbol, because AMEX charges a higher percentage of the tab than MC and Visa.

Load Metric
    Im afraid the topic at hand has flown over many of your heads. What draymond is correctly alluding to is the air of nobility, stature, and class associated with AMEX Plat. If you're not impressed by the card that's your prerogative, but please at least show some respect to the cardholder/Draymond. Unfortunately, I only have the premier rewards gold card, but I do regularly get the platinum offers.

Thread Information