Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prediction: Druff Will Cry Today

Load Metric
    Henry, your thoughts Nat's v Dodgers?

Comments

Henry: I posted my thoughts below, can we get yours?

Load Metric
    lol @ you Henry for not giving Harry Carey the respect he deserves. announced for both the Sox n Cubs and left a legacy so big we still carry on his traditions. ffs, Will Ferrell even impersonated him in some of the best SNL sketches ever.

Vin was awesome and I enjoyed, but cmon. bias much?
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Have to disagree with you about Alex Wood.

You are using "league average pitcher under team control" too liberally.

Alex Wood has only been pitching since 2013. He only pitched in part of that year, and then had a great 2014, with a 2.78 ERA and 1.142 WHIP.

Unfortunately, he hasn't looked the same ever since.
    I don't think I'm using the term league average too liberally. Going through his 4 seasons he's been worth:

1.6 fWAR in 77 innings
    2.6 fWAR in 171 innings
    2.6 fWAR in 189 innings
    1.3 fWAR in 60 innings

He's something like a 3 WAR pitcher over a full season.

Wood was playing in front of a tremendous Braves defense in 2014 led by Simmons and Heyward, as well as pitching half his games in Turner Field which suppresses fly balls. His 2014 season he left 80.2% of runners on base, while this year he left an unsustainably low 68.5% of runners on base, his BABIP was also 20 points higher this year and should positively regress, he was unlucky on liners as well. He's still very much the same pitcher and if you look at the important peripherals such as K/9 and GB% (he had career highs) then he had a good 60 innings with the same low 3 FIP he's always had.

I said Moore was comparable in that he's also a 2-3 win pitcher with three years remaining. I could use the term league average to describe Drew Pomeranz or Shelby Miller as well, my point was to describe Wood's value in the context of a trade.

The point about my original comment was that the Braves got fleeced. They were expecting a 3-4 win 3rd baseman in return and they got nothing.

As far as Heyward, I will admit I was wrong and you (and Mulva) we're correct. I never saw this coming. Hopefully he bounces back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Henry, your thoughts Nat's v Dodgers?
    I think they're both entirely capable teams, both certain title contenders.

Kershaw
    Hill
    Maeda
    Kershaw
    Hill

is stronger than

Scherzer
    Roark
    Gonzalez (L)
    Scherzer
    Roark

Put the (L) next to the struggling Gio, because as you know the Dodgers are the very worst team in the league vs lefty pitching (72 wRC+) but second best vs righties (109 wRC+) behind your Red Sox.

The Nats dont have a dominant lefty starter or really any dominant lefties in the pen, so it's not a bad matchup for the Dodgers. Meanwhile, the Dodgers are throwing Kershaw and Hill 4 times in the series which isn't advantegous for Murphy or Harper (though I'm sure the rest helps the shoulder), so Trea Turner and Anthony Rendon need to step up, which they're capable of. It's terribly unfortunate Ramos went down at the end of his career year (costing him millions in FA) I'm unaware how the new catcher handles the staff. I wish Ramos and Strasburg were healthy, but it is what it is.

I like the Dodgers in 5, but I will say Scherzer can blank anyone on any given day and I wouldn't be suprised either way given that it's only five games. I don't believe the favorite team always gets crowned in five games though I do enjoy dramatic baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    lol @ you Henry for not giving Harry Carey the respect he deserves. announced for both the Sox n Cubs and left a legacy so big we still carry on his traditions. ffs, Will Ferrell even impersonated him in some of the best SNL sketches ever.

Vin was awesome and I enjoyed, but cmon. bias much?
    Larry, I grew up in Chicago, I'm a life long Cubs fan. My very first baseball memories are Harry calling games. I remember his last broadcast. I remember the last words of his last broadcast.

"God willing, hope to see you next year.

Maybe next year will be the next year we've all been waiting for.

So long, everybody."

Where's the bias?

I never meant any lack of respect for Harry or to degrade his accomplishments in any way. I simply praised Scully. They're both great, they'll both live forever.

And it's Caray with two a's.

Comments

Sanlmar: Thesis rep

Load Metric
    My book on Nats & Dodgers this year was that offenses were trick or treat. I haven't given the matchup any time yet.

I have held the belief Harper was hurt this year.

Get back to you Henry.

Thread Information