Thread: Eye In The Sky: Soon-to-be essential crime-fighting tool, or egregious violation of constitutional right of privacy?

Load Metric

Eye In The Sky: Soon-to-be essential crime-fighting tool, or egregious violation of constitutional right of privacy?

Baltimore authorities are currently experimenting with a novel surveillance tool that could revolutionize how certain crimes in America are investigated. It is a camera/recording system mounted on a plane that has the ability to record a huge city-wide image that can be stored for later playback and zooming in, and with enough detail to follow vehicles and individuals traveling from the scene of a crime or other location. The first criminal case that used this tech to find a shooter is working its way through the courts.

Check out this Bloomberg story, and Radiolab's podcast episode, on this development and weigh in on whether you are for or against the authorities in the US being able to use this technology to help solve and prosecute crimes.

Since January, police have been testing an aerial surveillance system adapted from the surge in Iraq. And they neglected to tell the public.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...-surveillance/

Update: Eye In the Sky
    http://www.radiolab.org/story/update-eye-sky/

Comments

Crowe Diddly: good stuff

Sanlmar: Good thread idea
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 10-01-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Correct title
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Worth checking out. Listened to the radiolab when it came out, and spent a day or 2 in the rabbit hole looking this shit up. Like a fucking real-time DVR of a city, with all the pause and rewind capabilities you'd expect. Of course, as the article and podcast show

Here's the company under discussion: http://www.pss-1.com/

Silver
    Load Metric
    Honestly wouldn't bother me if they are using it for violent criminals, and not drug offenders.

Comments

nunbeater: this

Load Metric
    saw this on the daily planet and the report says the images are to granny to make out faces as individual people appear as dots. pretty cool tec though

Name:  tevlayout_06.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  129.2 KB
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    Honestly wouldn't bother me if they are using it for violent criminals, and not drug offenders.
    I think the government has proven, again and again and again and again, they will use the info they get for whatever they want, and they probably won't tell us about it when they do it, or even when they get caught mis-using the data.

Comments

Avon Barksdale: Oh fo sho

Load Metric
    Should be outlawed immediately. Fuck Big Brother.

How about reducing violent crime by working toward a healthier society and getting rid of guns, like civilized countries do.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Getting rid of guns impossible in American politics.

LarryLaffer: Wayne LaPierre would like to talk to you sir.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    saw this on the daily planet and the report says the images are to granny to make out faces as individual people appear as dots. pretty cool tec though

Exactly. But the dots can be followed in the zoomed playback, potentially giving police incredibly good info on where to look for the perp of a recorded crime. Just like with the shooter case currently in the Baltimore courts.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

How about reducing violent crime by working toward a healthier society and getting rid of guns, like civilized countries do.
    For people that live in a fantasy world, this sounds like a good idea. Guns will be with us forever. All fragile snowflakes should move to civilized countries.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post

For people that live in a fantasy world, this sounds like a good idea. Guns will be with us forever. All fragile snowflakes should move to civilized countries.
    Or for people who live in civilization.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    I think the government has proven, again and again and again and again, they will use the info they get for whatever they want, and they probably won't tell us about it when they do it, or even when they get caught mis-using the data.

A judge a week or two ago threw out evidence from the FBI about a guy who was tracked by a secret device. The FBI wouldn't tell the judge how they found the guy, telling the judge it was secret. So not being able to define whether or not the guy's rights had been violated, the judge dismissed the case.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post

or you can fucking move.. oh wait you did. Stay there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post

or you can fucking move.. oh wait you did. Stay there.
    Surprise! You don't know where I live.

Load Metric

Load Metric

Ahh the old guns are evil bullshit. Why is it the areas with strict gun laws like Chicago have significantly higher murder rates then those like here in AZ. Could be the criminals fear and know the likelyhood here is they'll get double tapped if they try and rob somebody while in ChiTown they know most folks cant don't own so makes them easy victims. Cops are only mins away when you have seconds to live just remember that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post

Exactly. But the dots can be followed in the zoomed playback, potentially giving police incredibly good info on where to look for the perp of a recorded crime. Just like with the shooter case currently in the Baltimore courts.
    Truth is folks this is public recording. Courts have held there is zero expectation of privacy when out on public streets. It's why cameras have been allowed everywhere. The legit beef people continue to have is warrantless wiretaps and such of people. You do have an expectation of privacy on the phone and such hence why Snowden blew the whistle on that shit.

Comments

Sanlmar: Distilled to the highest proof

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

Truth is folks this is public recording. Courts have held there is zero expectation of privacy when out on public streets. It's why cameras have been allowed everywhere. The legit beef people continue to have is warrantless wiretaps and such of people. You do have an expectation of privacy on the phone and such hence why Snowden blew the whistle on that shit.
    You are on point. It is a jump to assume the investment of public funds for this shit should be automatic.

The loss of privacy is an inexorable result of technological advancement. But I will support those who fight the fight during my lifetime. Life will be vastly different after that. That will be their fight but most are like Druff who "have nothing to hide".

Thread Information