Thread: Warning to Tor movie pirates.

Load Metric

Warning to Tor movie pirates.

MGM got a $1.12M judgement against 31y.o William Moriarty from Cali when he pirated and posted The Revenant and Peanuts movie for DL.. This after he also plead guilty to Federal charges of copyright infringement. He apparently got The Revenant up on Pass the Popcorn Tor site 6 days before release where it was downloaded over 1 Million times. Id venture to guess the feds have some eyes and ears on these Tor sites still and one might want to be vigilant about this shit.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news...cid=spartanntp

Load Metric
    Or he was the recipient of a pre-release review copy that was hard coded with his name on it and he upped it without knowing that it was coded, or how to undo it.

But you can believe what you want.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post
    MGM got a $1.12M judgement against 31y.o William Moriarty from Cali when he pirated and posted The Revenant and Peanuts movie for DL.. This after he also plead guilty to Federal charges of copyright infringement. He apparently got The Revenant up on Pass the Popcorn Tor site 6 days before release where it was downloaded over 1 Million times. Id venture to guess the feds have some eyes and ears on these Tor sites still and one might want to be vigilant about this shit.
    Interesting, but it looks like "6 days before release" was likely the part which pissed MGM off.

Load Metric
    LOL at this line

"According to officials, Morarity has agreed to assist the FBI in producing a public service announcement about the harms of copyright infringement and piracy."

The harm is that de caprico was only paid 20 mil when he could have made 25 mil. Poor baby.

Doesn't say that the guy made a buck off it. So he stole a few copies and shared them. Big fucking deal!! These copyright laws are 100 years behind the times. Hollywood still thinks its the 1930's and wants to play by those rules. So they get some California Hollywood judge to do their dirty work and beat up on some poor working stiff. Kicking the little guy around. That's what Hollywood is all about. Sorry fuckers. I hope they all catch AIDS and die.

Peace Out.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    you wouldn't download a car, would you?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post
    Torrent site. That case has nothing to do with TOR.

(Tor, or The Onion Router, is a browser that lets people use the Internet without being tracked and access hidden sites, as well as a software project that supports the ‘Dark Web,’ allowing websites (or “hidden services”) to be hosted in such a way that their location is impossible to determine.)

The FBI was able to break TOR with help from computer researchers at Carnegie Mellon a few years ago.
    A couple of years ago, Tor suffered a large-scale attack that compromised the anonymity of its users over a period of at least six months.
    Now TOR is supposely safe.

I think the feds also used some sort of malware to help expose your I.P. address.
    I know a few people who swear by TOR and claim it's unhackable.
    Nothing is unhackable.

I don't waste time downloading torrents anymore.
    If I was going to download torrents, I would use a VPN (that doesn't keep logs).

For T.V. shows and Movies, I use KODI (Exodus & Phoenix-video add-ons) through a VPN.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah, I got confused too.

This had nothing to do with TOR. It occurred through torrent sites.

If you do use torrent sites, I would suggest getting in, downloading what you want, and getting out.

The movie studios aren't looking for downloaders, they are looking for uploaders.

So once you download something, take it out of the rotation and don't let people download it from you. People will be downloading it from you while you're still downloading it, but you can't help that.

The less you upload, the less chance you get caught.

Thread Information