Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Dave's ex-girlfriend, Mary Beth, stuck with aggressive sexual predator during Uber ride

Load Metric
    uber still can't make money, and i don't see it getting any easier for them. seems like a shit business model.

Load Metric
    not related but i was behind this guy the other day

Name:  IMG_20180428_155236_452.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  314.1 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BUMP

At least 103 sexual assualts have occurred with Uber.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/30/tech...ult/index.html

I still assert that taking an Uber by yourself if you're female is a

I am not minimizing anyone being sexually assaulted, and I believe the way Uber handles these things is abhorrent. That being said, I imagine this is a minuscule % of total number of drives to the point where at the statistical level it isn't much of a concern at all.

My wife drives Uber everyday. She just stopped driving and Ubers everywhere. Her MO if she is uncomfortable with the guy is to pretend to sleep (and occasionally fall asleep for real, which I don't like). Also, she doesn't get into any car where there is any discrepancy where it appears the driver, car or license plate doesn't match the profile.

When I drove a couple years ago some asshole snuck a beer into my Uber and spilled it all over the backseat. I didn't even notice till I had let him out. I told Uber and they credited me $20 for cleaning. I doubt they even did anything to the guy.

Nothing too bad happened to me but I heard a lot of horror stories where passengers assaulted drivers or fucked up their cars and Uber did nothing, so them being apathetic assholes definitely goes both ways. Also, after a ride if a passenger called and complained about the ride at all, a couple days later Uber would just retroactively cancel the ride without telling the driver and refund them all he money (and stiff the driver). If you noticed you could complain and Uber would give you the money back, but I am sure most of the time drivers never notice or don't want to bother so you are just fucked.

Comments

badguy23: Oh Boy if u thought ripping off Outback was bad wait till I tell u about my Uber Eats Fre Food Bonaza!!
    Last edited by ErickAA; 04-30-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Load Metric
    If u want to rob or rape a bitch just sit outside a busy club pretend u r a Uber Driver as Sparten does then take them on a joy ride.

If u r riding in a Uber make sure the driver knows your name b4 u get in and also check there plate number thats on your app b4 u get in.

If not u deserve it Split!!

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: Can't imagine you doing those things rep. And I tried.

Load Metric
    Taking an uber/lyft is a hell of a lot safer than taking a taxi or public transportation where there is no 'paper' trail.

At least in a place like NYC where there aren't many residential neighborhoods, these are usually the only options.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Taking an uber/lyft is a hell of a lot safer than taking a taxi or public transportation where there is no 'paper' trail.

At least in a place like NYC where there aren't many residential neighborhoods, these are usually the only options.
    The difference is that getting a taxi medallion is a pain in the ass and requires a good deal of effort, whereas any asshole can sign up to drive Uber.

So the quality of the average taxi driver is higher than the average Uber driver..

Comments

badguy23: WRONG

Kuntmissioner: You have this backward

Sheesfaced: Lol nope

jsearles22: Lmfao, moron

Load Metric

The difference is that getting a taxi medallion is a pain in the ass and requires a good deal of effort, whereas any asshole can sign up to drive Uber.

So the quality of the average taxi driver is higher than the average Uber driver..

Not my experience at all.

Imo, there may be more variance with Uber drivers(though I’ve never had a horrible one)but the average taxi driver sucks. The average Uber driver is solid.

Comments

badguy23: LOL THIS FCKING DRUFF

Sheesfaced:

Platinum
    Load Metric

When cities have tried to block Uber by requiring that drivers get fingerprinted or get licensed Uber has fought vehemently. The issue isnt that most of the drivers couldn't pass these tests, most probably could, but they wouldn't want to go through the effort in the first place.

Of course both the city and Uber know this. The cities aren't really interested in getting certificates or fingerprints, they are interested in shutting down Uber, and most importantly protecting the lucrative Taxi companies, by putting up obstacles to becoming a Uber driver a lot of drivers aren't going to bother with.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Not my experience at all.
    On average taxis probably not higher quality, but the worst Uber drivers are probably much worse human beings than the worst Taxi drivers, and could never get vetted as a Taxi driver.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I wonder how often this banter has gotten the guy laid. He was pretty bold and I suspect it works enough for him to keep trying.

The guy was probably harmless; I seriously doubt this is how rapists behave. I don' t think they usually try to romance them with dirty talk but wtf do I know.

Good chance the guy was harmless with big big balls.
    Does this dipshit still post here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Load Metric

Taxis are over all more filthy, more expensive, driven by worse people and are less safe (just ask Mark Summers https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/...taxi-accident/)

Uber/Lyft = No cash needed, no tip, everything tracked (some would say too much tracked), you literally don't need to speak a word to the driver. They def do some shady shit though and I doubt they'll get away with it much longer.

Im a pretty experienced lyft/uber. Here is what I've learned:

(90% of my rides are around Manhattan, but I've also used the service in pretty much all east coast cities)

- They totally collude with each other to trigger surge pricing. (Say there's 20 drivers circling a major airport, if they are all marked 'available' then it will be base price - high supply/low demand. If they work together, only one guy at a time is 'available' which will trigger 2x-5x the normal price bc supply and demand) If you see surge pricing, switch apps or wait 10 minutes and try again.

- If a driver ever calls you and tries to get you to tell them where you're going, don't tell them. They dont know where you're going till you actually get in the car. They aren't allowed to cherry pick, and will not only try to convince you to cancel the ride (which will hurt your overall score) they will also tell all the other drivers around where you're going so might end up getting a string of cancels in a row which is a pain.

- This could be bullshit, but I think ratings are huge for them. If they don't maintain a decent overall rating, they will get banned. (I think it was ~4.5 stars for lyft and 4.0 for uber)

- If you are taking regular rides from the same area make an offer to a good driver and get their number. Then you can just shoot them a text in advance and see if they're available. I've actually made some friends this way and also saved some money and made life easier if you need to make a couple stops. They are risking absolutely nothing by working 'off app'.

Comments

varys: Solid

Brittney Griner's Clit: you basically have to be low key advertising for the cabbies.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric

Taxis are over all more filthy, more expensive, driven by worse people and are less safe (just ask Mark Summers https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/...taxi-accident/)

Uber/Lyft = No cash needed, no tip, everything tracked (some would say too much tracked), you literally don't need to speak a word to the driver. They def do some shady shit though and I doubt they'll get away with it much longer.

(90% of my rides are around Manhattan, but I've also used the service in pretty much all east coast cities)

- They totally collude with each other to trigger surge pricing. (Say there's 20 drivers circling a major airport, if they are all marked 'available' then it will be base price - high supply/low demand. If they work together, only one guy at a time is 'available' which will trigger 2x-5x the normal price bc supply and demand) If you see surge pricing, switch apps or wait 10 minutes and try again.

- If a driver ever calls you and tries to get you to tell them where you're going, don't tell them. They dont know where you're going till you actually get in the car. They aren't allowed to cherry pick, and will not only try to convince you to cancel the ride (which will hurt your overall score) they will also tell all the other drivers around where you're going so might end up getting a string of cancels in a row which is a pain.

- This could be bullshit, but I think ratings are huge for them. If they don't maintain a decent overall rating, they will get banned. (I think it was ~4.5 stars for lyft and 4.0 for uber)

- If you are taking regular rides from the same area make an offer to a good driver and get their number. Then you can just shoot them a text in advance and see if they're available. I've actually made some friends this way and also saved some money and made life easier if you need to make a couple stops. They are risking absolutely nothing by working 'off app'.

That does sound hella more convenient than raising your hand.

Platinum
    Load Metric

In regards to the first quote turning off your app to induce surge pricing is true and pretty obvious. I figured it out on my own by like my 3rd day. I have never heard of drivers calling each other to agree to all do it. You don't know who the other drivers are in the area. Everyone just independently works together to raise the price. I don't know about Manhattan, but in LA circa 2015 if you were taking rides at base you were losing money. You pretty much had to be at 2X surge to make any money on a ride. But yeah, it is a game of cat and mouse, because not accepting rides is bad (and can get you banned if you do it too much) so you have to be quick to turn off the app when the surge turns off and all the passengers who are waiting for the surge to turn off start firing.

In regards to the second bold, Uber determines a community standard threshold for rating that you have to meet. Different cities have different standards based mainly on the culture of the passengers. In some cities most passengers automatically give 5s almost all the time and in other cities they are more critical.

To those saying this sounds like a good reason to call a taxi, when I was driving Taxis were so much more expensive the surge had to basically be 3.5X for a taxi to be cheaper, and that was without factoring in the tip (this was when Uber was actually discouraging passengers to tip so barely any did). So even if you got caught in 2X surge, it was still way cheaper than a taxi.

I never personally called riders to see if they were doing a short trip and then try to get them to cancel, but I do know that other drivers used to do it. That was a little too shady for me. I will say LAX runs are a major pain in the ass because it burns a lot of time getting in and out of the airport, so if the ride is short it sucks big time and is a big money loss. One thing you learn to do is not to accept rides in certain areas because the ride is almost always going to be short. For example you learn real quick not to turn on your app in Westchester, Hawthorne, El Segundo (cities right around the airport) because a lot of people park their car on a residential street and then call an Uber for the last 1-2 miles to the airport.
    Last edited by ErickAA; 05-01-2018 at 02:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Uber/Lyft should give riders the option of picking the gender of their driver and I would bet this becomes an option at some point

Founded three years before Lyft, Uber reached the one million rides per day mark in 2014 and as of a year ago was giving an average of 5.5 million rides a day. Uber just recently surpassed its five billionth ride.Jul 5, 2017-

Considering these #s the 103 sexual assaults is less than what i would think if I knew these #s

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Uber/Lyft should give riders the option of picking the gender of their driver and I would bet this becomes an option at some point

Founded three years before Lyft, Uber reached the one million rides per day mark in 2014 and as of a year ago was giving an average of 5.5 million rides a day. Uber just recently surpassed its five billionth ride.Jul 5, 2017-

Considering these #s the 103 sexual assaults is less than what i would think if I knew these #s
    China nails it again with the comment under the bolded part. If you don't think assaults happen less because you'rea cabbie you're nuts. Uber IMO over a sample size extending as far as cabs would be significantly safer given all the tracking going on. Yes, bad things will happen, BUT justice will be served more often than not using uber vs a random cab.
    "I GOT NO TOE"

#FreeFluffler #FreeThisGuyIsCreepy #lockupGarrett

Load Metric

I have been in 100 Ubers and really have not had a bad experience. The last two cabs I was in were a train wreck. One cab driver I am certain shit his pants. The other cab driver was 80 years old and literally he was nodding off driving I had to make idle conversation just to make sure he stayed awake. We were on the highway for 20 minutes, scariest ride of my life.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Draymond View Post

I have been in 100 Ubers and really have not had a bad experience. The last two cabs I was in were a train wreck. One cab driver I am certain shit his pants. The other cab driver was 80 years old and literally he was nodding off driving I had to make idle conversation just to make sure he stayed awake. We were on the highway for 20 minutes, scariest ride of my life.
    That's because nobody wants to molest you
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Mornings for short rides I still use regular Uber. I have been traveling a ton, so any business trips, I use Uber Black. In all cases I immediately cancel if rating is 4.75 or less. Any strange delays, anything weird , I cancel. The late fee they threaten you with is auto credited back to you if you go through the App challenge system, so cost should never be an issue.

For wife, I opened the wallet up and only black for her. The uber lux "high end car" option doesn't really do it, still amateur drivers. The Black cars are professionals and I have had few problems with them. Also, they for the most part, don't bother you with unnecessary chit chat which I prefer.

In the old days (a year or two ago) the Uber drivers made for interesting conversations, and it was amazing how many cool people you would meet. That has changed for the most part, seems mostly beat up Camry's these days with down on your luck 20 somethings. I had a reformed street prostitute who found god talk my ear of one time, a car full of pot smoke one time, booze smell in the car another.... thus using Black more. We actually got rid of our second car with uber to fill in the gaps. I may go back to another car. Still undecided.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

In regards to the first quote turning off your app to induce surge pricing is true and pretty obvious. I figured it out on my own by like my 3rd day. I have never heard of drivers calling each other to agree to all do it. You don't know who the other drivers are in the area. Everyone just independently works together to raise the price. I don't know about Manhattan, but in LA circa 2015 if you were taking rides at base you were losing money. You pretty much had to be at 2X surge to make any money on a ride. But yeah, it is a game of cat and mouse, because not accepting rides is bad (and can get you banned if you do it too much) so you have to be quick to turn off the app when the surge turns off and all the passengers who are waiting for the surge to turn off start firing.

In regards to the second bold, Uber determines a community standard threshold for rating that you have to meet. Different cities have different standards based mainly on the culture of the passengers. In some cities most passengers automatically give 5s almost all the time and in other cities they are more critical.

To those saying this sounds like a good reason to call a taxi, when I was driving Taxis were so much more expensive the surge had to basically be 3.5X for a taxi to be cheaper, and that was without factoring in the tip (this was when Uber was actually discouraging passengers to tip so barely any did). So even if you got caught in 2X surge, it was still way cheaper than a taxi.

I never personally called riders to see if they were doing a short trip and then try to get them to cancel, but I do know that other drivers used to do it. That was a little too shady for me. I will say LAX runs are a major pain in the ass because it burns a lot of time getting in and out of the airport, so if the ride is short it sucks big time and is a big money loss. One thing you learn to do is not to accept rides in certain areas because the ride is almost always going to be short. For example you learn real quick not to turn on your app in Westchester, Hawthorne, El Segundo (cities right around the airport) because a lot of people park their car on a residential street and then call an Uber for the last 1-2 miles to the airport.
    V interesting, it drives me crazy some of the calls. At the airport, I get a call pretty much every time now. Half the time I can barely hear the person, and then they interrogate me on "where are you going". Some of them are assholes, so on more than one occasion I just cancel right then and there, dick on the phone, fuck you. The problem is if you use a Black car they have to know where to pick you up, so I auto text them pick up door, like 3A or whatever. where regular Uber is just one place so no need to talk at all. Try traveling to Laguardia these days, you get to take a bus to an off site Uber pick up area.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post
    Mornings for short rides I still use regular Uber. I have been traveling a ton, so any business trips, I use Uber Black. In all cases I immediately cancel if rating is 4.75 or less. Any strange delays, anything weird , I cancel. The late fee they threaten you with is auto credited back to you if you go through the App challenge system, so cost should never be an issue.

For wife, I opened the wallet up and only black for her. The uber lux "high end car" option doesn't really do it, still amateur drivers. The Black cars are professionals and I have had few problems with them. Also, they for the most part, don't bother you with unnecessary chit chat which I prefer.

In the old days (a year or two ago) the Uber drivers made for interesting conversations, and it was amazing how many cool people you would meet. That has changed for the most part, seems mostly beat up Camry's these days with down on your luck 20 somethings. I had a reformed street prostitute who found god talk my ear of one time, a car full of pot smoke one time, booze smell in the car another.... thus using Black more. We actually got rid of our second car with uber to fill in the gaps. I may go back to another car. Still undecided.
    Have yiu had any issues with the route Uber drivers take? The few times I’ve used Uber (I usually use Lyft), the GPS they have sends them on bizarre somewhat circuitious routes.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information