Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone taken Amitriptyline?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Has anyone taken Amitriptyline?

Does anyone here have any experience taking Amitriptyline? If so, please let me know.

Many of you know that I've had chronic tension headaches for about 20 years. I get about 200 headaches per year, with the summer and winter being worst. These are NOT migraines.. They are completely different. Google "tension headache" if you are curious about them.

These are NOT caused by any diet or lifestyle issues -- at least not in my case. I know the exact cause most of the time. It's usually due to holding my neck in a bad way (especially if I sleep with my neck in a bad position), but also appears when rapid temperature changes occur, such as an A/C or heater quickly changing the room temperature. I inherited them from my mom, though mine are worse than hers ever were. They showed up in my mid-20s, which is the typical age for them to appear.

Tension headaches are not indicative of any greater medical problem. They do not affect one's lifespan or cause any other health issue.

Up until now, I figured I would just have to live with these, taking Excedrin whenever one showed up. However, I read about Amitriptyline today, which supposedly prevents them in some people.

Amitriptyline is usually for depression, anxiety, and ADD. I do not have any of these conditions. However, regardless of the reason you took it, please let me know your experience with Amitriptyline, including side effects you felt, and whether it was effective for you.

I always keep 2 Excedrin with me during radio, in case one shows up while I'm doing it. I also carry them around when hiking, skiing, playing poker, or anywhere else away from home. While not debilitating, these are very frustrating to deal with, especially due to their frequency.

Please do not give me other suggestions on how to stop the tension headaches (unless it's another medication), as each person is different. I know the cause of these (neck issues and temperature changes), and there's no way for me to prevent them without medication.

Also, please do not make junk/troll posts in this thread. I will delete such messages and ban anyone from the thread who trolls it.

I don't like taking medication unless I know there's a clear purpose and benefit from it, so that's why I'm asking out here of others' experiences with it, even if for different conditions.

Load Metric
    Try smoking some weed. It does wonders and is natural. Next time you get a headache take a hit or two and see if it helps.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    Try smoking some weed. It does wonders and is natural. Next time you get a headache take a hit or two and see if it helps.
    rofl do you have any idea who you're talking to?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Even though I've never smoked pot and have no desire to do so, I actually would try it if I thought it would stop these headaches.

However, there is no indication that doing this would help tension headaches. They are very different from migraines, including the treatment for them.

I also don't really want anything which makes me feel "high" or anything like that. That sort of thing never appealed to me, which is why I never tried drugs, despite them being often present among people I knew.

Load Metric
    I texted and left voicemail for a friend who tried that tricyclic antidepressant for migraine route. He eventually was significantly helped by a low dose beta-blocker that pretty much was a lifesaver for him. When he gets back to me, I'll post his feedback. I don't know if he went another route because it was ineffective or the side effects. His were, I think, worse than yours, unless you're spending a day a week with curtains drawn and puking.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I texted and left voicemail for a friend who tried that tricyclic antidepressant for migraine route. He eventually was significantly helped by a low dose beta-blocker that pretty much was a lifesaver for him. When he gets back to me, I'll post his feedback. I don't know if he went another route because it was ineffective or the side effects. His were, I think, worse than yours, unless you're spending a day a week with curtains drawn and puking.
    Thanks, let me know what he says.

I do not get nausea from tension headaches. If your friend did, then he had something different (likely migraines).

Tension headaches carry no other symptoms besides head and neck pain.

Most are only moderate in their pain, meaning that you can still function, but they are annoying and distracting.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I hate it when people respond to a request without the experience you are asking. That being said, this is a very old medication that is known for it's side effects. I would certainly give anything a go if I suffered from chronic headaches but
    this product seems to fall into the shot gun approach often used.

Drk has mentioned here that low doses of psilocin/ psilocybin/magic mushrooms have proven effective for migraine sufferers. No high with such doses, but relief for some.

BTW you have probably seen this re: Amitripyline

Adverse Reactions-

• abdominal pain
    • anorexia
    • anxiety
    • blurred vision
    • breast enlargement
    • confusion
    • constipation
    • cycloplegia
    • diarrhea
    • dizziness
    • drowsiness
    • EEG changes
    • ejaculation dysfunction
    • erythema
    • fever
    • galactorrhea
    • gynecomastia
    • heart failure
    • hypertension
    • ileus
    • impotence
    • jaundice
    • libido decrease
    • mydriasis
    • myocardial infarction
    • nausea/vomiting
    • ocular hypertension
    • orthostatic hypotension
    • palpitations
    • parkinsonism
    • photosensitivity
    • PR prolongation opruritus
    • QT prolongation
    • sedation
    • seizures
    • SIADH
    • stroke
    • testicular swelling
    • torsade de pointes
    • tremor
    • urinary retention
    • urticaria
    • vasculitis
    • ventricular tachycardia
    • withdrawal
    • xerostomia

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Even though I've never smoked pot and have no desire to do so, I actually would try it if I thought it would stop these headaches.

However, there is no indication that doing this would help tension headaches. They are very different from migraines, including the treatment for them.

I also don't really want anything which makes me feel "high" or anything like that. That sort of thing never appealed to me, which is why I never tried drugs, despite them being often present among people I knew.
    2 hits won't get you very buzzed but might take your headache away. If the headache doesn't go away after trying it a few times then move on.I only suggest it because it works for my headaches. I don't get them as often as you but whenever i get them I take a few hits from the volcano and the headache is gone.Worth a shot.
    I know they are not migranes but here.
    https://www.leafly.com/news/science-...ine-sufferers/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Adverse Reactions-

ejaculation dysfunction

Comments

FPS_Russia: lol'

lewfather: rofl

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Thanks, let me know what he says.

I do not get nausea from tension headaches. If your friend did, then he had something different (likely migraines).

Tension headaches carry no other symptoms besides head and neck pain.

Most are only moderate in their pain, meaning that you can still function, but they are annoying and distracting.

He just wrote me back because he's at some marching band thing for his daughter and can't talk. He tried exact one as you. He only took it for a month. Combination of not effective plus he said he felt tired and lethargic all day. Didn't agree with him. He tried low dose of metoprolol .25 er, super low dose beta blocker, and it helped him tremendously.

He wrote the doctor told him off the bat it would take weeks for your drug to reach theraputic level and prevent headaches, so not to read much into how effective or ineffective it was for him as he didn't really give it time. He was teaching at the time and ended up drinking 5 coffees a day. His father died of heart attack at 42, so he said he started stressing out about all the caffeine, hence why doctor went beta blocker route despite normal blood pressure. He said he also ended up having similar tiredness with beta blocker, but it went away after a week.

He definitely has full migraines rather than just tension headaches.

Load Metric
    Adverse Reactions-

ejaculation dysfunction

I wrote about this back on donkdown. When I was sick, and on Zoloft, you can't get off, at all. That's an SSRI, but all these anti-depressants may fuck with getting off. Fucking for hours sounds great, until you start cramping and your girl can't walk for a week. Strangest thing in the world. I was married at time and my wife started getting upset thinking I wasn't attracted to her. I could have been having a threesome with supermodels. Couldn't get off. Could have pleasured a harem, and not enjoyed it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've never smoked pot and have no desire to do so

Classic Druff, will take drugs that the doc feeds to him but is too straight edge to try weed.

Load Metric
    Actually started on this drug one month ago today.

Taking to combat side effects from a biological drug I'm currently having to take which give me inner tremors.

Tremors aren't visible but they occur at least twice per week and last around 18-30 hours. They are also annoying as hell.

Anyway after various scans and visits to see neurologists (even the top neuro in UK) they came up with a list of drugs that 'may' help. With Amitriptyline being one of them.

Started on 10mg and plan was increase every 7 days until hit 30mg with option to go higher.

10mg made no difference but 20mg did the trick. No tremors.

3rd week bumped it up to 30mg and that's where I am now. Seen doc again today. She's happy, I'm happy, life is good again so to speak.

Biggest side effect is they make you real lethargic and sleepy. So best take just before bed.

Also make me feel a little edgy inside. Like a worried knot in the stomach kinda thing. But that is becoming less problematic as the days pass. Doc said that feeling will go completely in time.

Also 10-20mg made me super horny and she was getting at least 2 mouthfuls each day.

30mg not so much, and even takes a little longer to release the ole manfat.

Poor Ms Lord has been left thirsty a couple times this week already.

Finally. Try not to bail on the drug too early. Because at first you won't feel quite normal. But the effects do soften as the days/weeks pass. And it sure as fuck beats getting headaches 4 times a week.

Comments

BCR: We have our real canary in the coal mine. Can't beat first hand experience.

nunbeater: poor miss Lord!

OSA: sounds like vyvanse
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    A guy goes to see his doctor about his headaches

He's tried several treatments, and none have worked.

The doctor says, "This sounds crazy, but I used to have headaches like yours. One night I was with my wife, and I went down on her. She squeezed my head really hard with her thighs, and my headache went away. It works every time."

The guy says, "At this point, I'll try anything."

A couple of weeks later, the guy stops by the doctor's office, "Doc, I don't know how to thank you. I took your advice, and you were right, as soon as she squeezed my head with her thighs, my headache was gone. The headache has come back a few times, but I do the thing, get squeezed, and it's gone. It's a miracle."

The doctor says, "Well, I'm glad I could help."

The guy says, "Well, thanks again, Oh, and by the way, you have a beautiful home."

Comments

Belly Buster: :rimshot
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric

Tension headaches are not indicative of any greater medical problem. They do not affect one's lifespan or cause any other health issue.
    Curious where you heard this? I always heard they were associated with unchecked Sleep Apnea. Sleep Apnea is fucking dangerous, you can go to a sleep clinic to get it checked out. Unchecked Sleep Apnea leads to heart failure at a young life (google Reggie White, Packers). Solution is you have to wear a breather apparatus when you sleep the rest of your life. Then you are basically safe.

Load Metric
    Tension Headache and Cannabis
    Cannabis is particularly useful for conditions that include symptoms of muscle spasm and pain, such as tension headaches. It can be used internally and topically, applied directly to the site of tension. According to a recent report of the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research at the University of California, San Diego, the first U.S. clinical trials in more than two decades on the medical benefits of marijuana confirm that it is effective in reducing muscle spasms (associated with multiple sclerosis). A further study supported by the center examined the effectiveness of cannabis in treating migraine headaches and facial pain. In that study, rats given a cannabis-like drug exhibited reduced activity of nerve cells that transmit pain. Many patients find that marijuana is additionally useful in reducing stress that may be contributing to the headache, providing more effective relief than any one pharmaceutical medicine.

Comments

OSA: hurts me to give you this but whatever

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Actually started on this drug one month ago today.

Taking to combat side effects from a biological drug I'm currently having to take which give me inner tremors.

Tremors aren't visible but they occur at least twice per week and last around 18-30 hours. They are also annoying as hell.

Anyway after various scans and visits to see neurologists (even the top neuro in UK) they came up with a list of drugs that 'may' help. With Amitriptyline being one of them.

Started on 10mg and plan was increase every 7 days until hit 30mg with option to go higher.

10mg made no difference but 20mg did the trick. No tremors.

3rd week bumped it up to 30mg and that's where I am now. Seen doc again today. She's happy, I'm happy, life is good again so to speak.

Biggest side effect is they make you real lethargic and sleepy. So best take just before bed.

Also make me feel a little edgy inside. Like a worried knot in the stomach kinda thing. But that is becoming less problematic as the days pass. Doc said that feeling will go completely in time.

Also 10-20mg made me super horny and she was getting at least 2 mouthfuls each day.

30mg not so much, and even takes a little longer to release the ole manfat.

Poor Ms Lord has been left thirsty a couple times this week already.

Finally. Try not to bail on the drug too early. Because at first you won't feel quite normal. But the effects do soften as the days/weeks pass. And it sure as fuck beats getting headaches 4 times a week.
    True love

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Serious question...

I'm certain that you already reviewed this list of side effects prior to making this thread.

You are more comfortable taking the doctor prescribed drug, because it is doctor subscribed than trying a single hit of marijuana?

Do you understand how insane that is?

Load Metric
    TODGE YOUR SITE IS BEING OVERRUN BY YOUNG HESHERS

Comments

Muck Ficon: Back to Skatz!!!!

Thread Information