Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Gomorrah

Load Metric
    hey guys?

l'immortale is pretty fuckin good.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    hey guys?

l'immortale is pretty fuckin good.
    Watched it last week, not great, but yes, pretty fucking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    I’ve seen every episode, show is the fucking nuts.

Love the music and the style of it.

Can’t remember how season 4 ended- no word yet on s5 release date

L’immortale movie 6.3 on imdb...but you’re saying it’s worth a watch? He was my favourite character so I guess I should...
    Last edited by Starbucks Spunk Bucket; 09-19-2020 at 04:34 AM.
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks Spunk Bucket View Post
    I’ve seen every episode, show is the fucking nuts.

Love the music and the style of it.

Can’t remember how season 4 ended- no word yet on s5 release date

L’immortale movie 6.3 on imdb...but you’re saying it’s worth a watch? He was my favourite character so I guess I should...
    Yeah, it’s far from perfect, but it’s better than 6.3 on its own merits, and for someone who’s watched the series it’s even better.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: Thx dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    its easy to pick apart a lot of aspects of it up to and including why it exists at all but once you get past it all and just say 'ok, its a thing, im going to enjoy the ride', despite not standing up to the rest of the series content well its head and shoulders above everything else we have to work with these days.

related note im about to tuck into ZeroZeroZero.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: Will havr to watch

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    its easy to pick apart a lot of aspects of it up to and including why it exists at all but once you get past it all and just say 'ok, its a thing, im going to enjoy the ride', despite not standing up to the rest of the series content well its head and shoulders above everything else we have to work with these days.

Just saw; agree with the above but thought it had its moments of brilliance as well.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Just saw; agree with the above but thought it had its moments of brilliance as well.

i absolutely agree. looking back, i feel like it aged well.

Load Metric

ZeroZeroZero is good after two episodes but it's too dark - as in, I can't see what the fuck is happening half of the time.

Thought my TV was fucked up but same deal on other tv and laptop.

Anyone watch?
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric

ZeroZeroZero is good after two episodes but it's too dark - as in, I can't see what the fuck is happening half of the time.

Thought my TV was fucked up but same deal on other tv and laptop.

Anyone watch?
    I watched it at the time. They focused on all sorts of external factors and got some things right.

The Latino angle is a caricaturized version of Zetas. 'Ndrangheta were far more powerful in the timeline it depicts. The white kids would have been dead 17 times in season 1 if it was based on reality.

Randomly frolicking in other peoples territories with no protection from locals just isn't a thing. If i remember correctly the whole Dutch sounding surname angle isn't present in the book. The book is just about real international drug trade around 2010.

I didn't like it. Someone shoot off ridiculous amount of money to make the show on the success of Gomorrah. I didn't mind Gomorrah the TV-show. The movie was pretty bleak. Doubt it was a huge success. There's something to be said about too much realism. Mostly the whole child soldier reality. Kids are easy prey for organizations and extra fucked up thing is that it's often an upgrade to their quality of life to join a gang.

Load Metric
    2 eps into S5, can't quit it.

Just take the absurd with the good.

Comments

sonatine:

Load Metric
    after years of kunt prodding, I'm 4 eps into season 1.

great fucking show. will read the thread soon.

Load Metric
    Just finished it up.

lol. Still enjoyed it in 2 episode chunks over the last five weeks.

Also Portland is basically Secondigliano now.

Load Metric
    Watched seasons 1-4 and the movie on HBOMAX, and watched subtitled season 5 on pirate sites with almost equal quality and easier CC handling. A golden age of worldwide distributed streaming media, legitimate and otherwise.

No spoilers obv, just 1 overarching general thought throughout the series. Well, some spoilers I guess.

How f'n helpful are these Italian nicknames, for real? If I had to parse a sea of Tonys and Micheles and Paulos and Sophias and Marias... Instead, we have the Immortal, Pitbull, Li'l Monk, Crazy, the Gentleman, all a bunch of people who you hear the name, you see the character immed. Add in the Wizard, Top Model, Pure n Simple, the Charmer, Vocabulary, etc. Once we knew Ciro was alive, and once episode 2 of season 5 happens (the gulag episode), I was more than willing to enjoy the ride of the last full season ride off into the sunset. This is where it should have ended, as well as how it should have ended, I think.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 01-01-2022 at 10:48 PM.

Load Metric
    ok. i just finished season 5. im pretty fucked up over here all said and done. i have a lot of thoughts.

- i dont think season 5 lived up to the other 4 seasons completely but i also dont think it was some sort of failure. saying goodbye to genny and ciro is physically painful tho.

- the gulag situation was almost too much for me. it started all this off on just such a categorically insane note that i was almost like fuck man, just... youre at a 9 and i need you at like a 4. i didnt like seeing genny take things that far, even tho i knew that somehow this was the only way to load the bow with which to loose the arrow. like i get that genny is a fucked up guy who lashes out at the people who leave him but... jesus christ. i mean fucking really.

- i binged over 3 nights and i feel like maybe there was a bit too much wife / genny drama. at some point i was like, we could have wrapped this up in 8 eps, or better still added 30 minutes of gang carnage and high end criminality instead of getting us emotionally invested in azzu.

- mistral was such a weird casting decision. and ciro shooting him felt weird. id have been in a better place when the credits started to role if mistral and his wife were last scene with a small sack of cash, just fucking driving off into the distance. btw i just perused the gomorra reddit and apparently everyone felt the same way about this; ciro capping mistral was a head scratcher. it demonstrated that ciro was in his endgame i suppose but was that worth what a fucking downer it was?

- ciro looked like DMX by the time season 4 wrapped and now he looks like genny. weird to adapt to. but i do kinda feel like this show might be doing shit like that deliberately tbh.

- ciro dying from an anonymous shot is weird but how the fuck else could this end.. i was expecting him to commit suicide tbh. that would have been kind of a nice bow to tie this all together.

- uhmm that entire ending sequence had wayyyyyy too much in common with the climax of Suburra: Blood on Rome for my tastes. i found that weird.

- again i dont really understand what happened here that actually provided any meaningful redemption for absolutely anyone except maybe ciro and i thought the whole point of him committing suicide-by-genny on the boat was that he wanted to atone for all the shit that genny told him he had to spend the rest of his life obsessing on in the gulag cell so again i find that murky confusion to be out of character for the series. this is the first time that everyones trajectories seemed kinda... i dont know... flighty? you know whats funny, i went looking for the episode # when genny put the 3d gun to ciros forhead as an example of how much cleaner this show used to pivot through plot arcs and ended up reading endless bitching about how flighty and mercurial the show was getting. so maybe im totally just romanticizing how perfect it was in the past.

i dont know i might add more weird shit later but on a much lighter note:

- the world building in this show is the best ever done. by the time azzu and her son get ambushed in her apartment and a firefight breaks out and 30 minutes later there is a cleanup crew there dealing with the fallout and NO COPS HAVE SHOWN UP somehow that makes perfect sense in the gomorra universe. fucking hats off.

- i have never, in my entire life, seen a show where they give such an absolute shit as to use the actual appropriate real life gunshot noises for the various guns fired.

- miss this show so much much. in my lifetime, there will never be anything like it, if i had to guess. fuck man.

- wow.

Load Metric
    also if thom yorke and jonny greenwood were like surprise we did the soundtrack for gomorra id be like 'lmao called it'

Load Metric
    also if thom yorke and jonny greenwood were like surprise we did the soundtrack for gomorra id be like 'lmao called it'
    That shit plays loud as I drive through downtown Portland and down Naito more often than I care to admit.

Thought Mistral being more or less a guy was a letdown and Marco D'Amore directing abiut half the episodes had Ciro nut chugging a bit dialed up but otherwise was gripped.

The latter point left me with about 90% certainty that Azzu and Pietro would walk with prior seasons leaving the door wide open for execution style mayhem.

S1 and S2 dust that little Baltimore drug show.

Load Metric
    That shit plays loud as I drive through downtown Portland and down Naito more often than I care to admit.

Thought Mistral being more or less a guy was a letdown and Marco D'Amore directing abiut half the episodes had Ciro nut chugging a bit dialed up but otherwise was gripped.

The latter point left me with about 90% certainty that Azzu and Pietro would walk with prior seasons leaving the door wide open for execution style mayhem.

S1 and S2 dust that little Baltimore drug show.
    god i completely forgot he was dipping a toe into directing and it really does explain so fucking much.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...-final-episode

some kinda interesting tidbits about season 5. i really feel like this was less of a gomorra season on its own terms than some sort of coda for the previous accomplishments, and honestly im really surprised that it couldnt do better considering the amount of time they had to punch things up and polish the material.

in any case the real gem there is they were/are flirting with doing a flashback series to the struggle for control of the dope/cigs trade in the 70s. like basically before ciro's street-kid childhood, that whole thread.

also your season ranking really cant be improved on i suspect. its going to be a while before i rewatch the whole thing but yeah.

Load Metric
    also and im 100% serious if any producers out there want 'gomorra in portland' screenplay whipped up, get at me.

Load Metric
    This and his private portland and other city app i wont comment on that he literally has like he did it as a joke and and almost none of us live there is why old boy is the goat jace ur fat but i love apps

Load Metric
    24 hours later: still fucked up over this show.

im really kinda tired of trying to reverse engineers ciros decisions / thought processes when in the back of my mind im like yeah all that shit was really just them making sure the ending was kinda valid.

but then again im like oh wait right this guy who BTK'd a 15 year old girl to get her to tell him where her boyfriend was. oh and he strangled his fucking wife/mother of his child.

so yeah like, murdering mistral and his wife.. i guess that .. makes sense...? sorta?

its all so convoluted, i dont feel like any of the other seasons had these sorts of moments where i was like 'wait what just happened and why did it happen'.

and the thing is, at this point in my life, when i find myself picking at scabs in a script like that, ive come to realize that 99 times out of 100 its because the writing was sloppy.

Thread Information