Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Gomorrah

Load Metric
    I ordered gamoorah over a month ago. Actually ordered 2x on Amazon. Showing to be shipped I emailed them with no results.

Load Metric
    honestly just copping it on thepiratebay.org is a reasonable decision.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    honestly just copping it on thepiratebay.org is a reasonable decision.
    Did my work here:

Don't know if seasons 1-4 work well but 5 does. Computer AIDS always a possibility.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric

once I knew it was a final season, I was open to almost anything that was within reason, or barely within reason, tbh. I wasn't sure what I wanted, but I was wondering which way the series was going to go. Then the gulag episode happened, russians disobeyed security orders, security grates were left unlocked, dogs were slow on the uptake, Ciro was doing a speedrun thru a final level of sorts and the locals were all happy to murder the local terrible ppl anyway... I guess. 5th season was the worst, but still better than most of last year's best tv shows. A truly great show, in every way. Would watch again 100%.

im really kinda tired of trying to reverse engineers ciros decisions / thought processes when in the back of my mind im like yeah all that shit was really just them making sure the ending was kinda valid.

but then again im like oh wait right this guy who BTK'd a 15 year old girl to get her to tell him where her boyfriend was. oh and he strangled his fucking wife/mother of his child.

so yeah like, murdering mistral and his wife.. i guess that .. makes sense...? sorta?

its all so convoluted, i dont feel like any of the other seasons had these sorts of moments where i was like 'wait what just happened and why did it happen'.

and the thing is, at this point in my life, when i find myself picking at scabs in a script like that, ive come to realize that 99 times out of 100 its because the writing was sloppy.

Comments

sonatine:

gimmick: yup... it takes true effort to fuckup the finale like GoT did
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 01-19-2022 at 10:55 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

once I knew it was a final season, I was open to almost anything that was within reason, or barely within reason, tbh. I wasn't sure what I wanted, but I was wondering which way the series was going to go. Then the gulag episode happened, russians disobeyed security orders, security grates were left unlocked, dogs were slow on the uptake, Ciro was doing a speedrun thru a final level of sorts and the locals were all happy to murder the local terrible ppl anyway... I guess. 5th season was the worst, but still better than most of last year's best tv shows. A truly great show, in every way. Would watch again 100%.

im really kinda tired of trying to reverse engineers ciros decisions / thought processes when in the back of my mind im like yeah all that shit was really just them making sure the ending was kinda valid.

but then again im like oh wait right this guy who BTK'd a 15 year old girl to get her to tell him where her boyfriend was. oh and he strangled his fucking wife/mother of his child.

so yeah like, murdering mistral and his wife.. i guess that .. makes sense...? sorta?

its all so convoluted, i dont feel like any of the other seasons had these sorts of moments where i was like 'wait what just happened and why did it happen'.

and the thing is, at this point in my life, when i find myself picking at scabs in a script like that, ive come to realize that 99 times out of 100 its because the writing was sloppy.

Enzo's arc went a bit off the rails as well and the blood oath shit was laughable, but we're splitting hairs at this point.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Enzo lived longer than he had any right to
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Enzo's arc went a bit off the rails as well and the blood oath shit was laughable, but we're splitting hairs at this point.

the blood oath scene is where i realized that i wasnt going to walk away from this season happy, like not exactly. literally it was that exact moment that i realized how far astray we had drifted.

in previous seasons that would have very obviously been a cynical ploy for cero to galvanize his cult, and at that exact moment i was like ohhhhh this isnt ironic is it, like they forgot about that side of cero kinda huh.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    is genny mad? i cant tell.

oh wait the camera is locked in on his face and he's rolling his eyes and breathing heavily. ok yeah i guess hes mad again.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: *grunts*

Load Metric

oh wait the camera is locked in on his face and he's rolling his eyes and breathing heavily. ok yeah i guess hes mad again.
    I kinda wish I had a ring tell like Genny. 'Is Crowe thinking about beer? He must be, he's furiously playing with his claddagh ring.'

Here's my rundown of non-plot takeaways from this show. Apologies if any of these were posted already, I wanna get them out before re-reading the thread.

If what's written everywhere is true, I love that Italians also watch the show subtitled because "wtf are those Naples ppl saying?" is a real issue, in Italy. I hope that's true.

I love Genny's quick grunt sound, usually timed to happen a millisecond after whomever else was talking. I've tried to do this grunt/noise, I just can't. That said, what I CAN do is the teeth-sucking sound of disrespect. A quick-as-a-whistle "blow me" with no words involved. Very disrespectful, oft aimed at parents or authority figures you dont care for.

Me and kunt have talked about this one, tho I'm not sure we'll ever really do it, but we might. If we do, I think it'll be spur of the moment and in a public place. It's the mutual head-grab. You gotta get real close, grab the back of each other's heads, and stare into each other's eyes for a second or 2. Super serious. Intimate in a different way entirely than normal. Gives off a life and death feel, in a way.

I've used the term "oogatz" at least a half dozen times in spoken or written word, and it feels so great every time. Nobody's confused as to what it means, context clears that shit right up. Like, Druff wanted to win a podcast award, but Polk decided that Druff gets oogatz!

I got a bit nostalgic for my old moka pot at times, then I remembered what happens when you fuck up a moka pot and are late by a few seconds and shit starts brewing up before you were ready, and then I merely was envious about small cups of coffee all over the place. I would love to have the Italian coffee culture near me, instead I make a thermos and drink it over the course of a couple hours.

I LOVE the outro theme, the weird 1-3-4 progression that signals the end of the ep is nigh. I also love the middle episode theme we heard over and over, and all the italian rap. Thom and Jonny would be proud, as sonatine did/might say, and he'd be right.

Lastly, the single most helpful thing in the whole series when you are a foreign language viewer, is the nicknames. Nobody ever asked "which one is Crazy?" when watching this show. Vocabulary, Pitbull, Lil Monk, etc.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-21 12.30.40 AM.png
Views: 196
Size:  338.4 KB

Comments

sonatine:

Load Metric

I kinda wish I had a ring tell like Genny. 'Is Crowe thinking about beer? He must be, he's furiously playing with his claddagh ring.'

Here's my rundown of non-plot takeaways from this show. Apologies if any of these were posted already, I wanna get them out before re-reading the thread.

If what's written everywhere is true, I love that Italians also watch the show subtitled because "wtf are those Naples ppl saying?" is a real issue, in Italy. I hope that's true.

I love Genny's quick grunt sound, usually timed to happen a millisecond after whomever else was talking. I've tried to do this grunt/noise, I just can't. That said, what I CAN do is the teeth-sucking sound of disrespect. A quick-as-a-whistle "blow me" with no words involved. Very disrespectful, oft aimed at parents or authority figures you dont care for.

Me and kunt have talked about this one, tho I'm not sure we'll ever really do it, but we might. If we do, I think it'll be spur of the moment and in a public place. It's the mutual head-grab. You gotta get real close, grab the back of each other's heads, and stare into each other's eyes for a second or 2. Super serious. Intimate in a different way entirely than normal. Gives off a life and death feel, in a way.

I've used the term "oogatz" at least a half dozen times in spoken or written word, and it feels so great every time. Nobody's confused as to what it means, context clears that shit right up. Like, Druff wanted to win a podcast award, but Polk decided that Druff gets oogatz!

I got a bit nostalgic for my old moka pot at times, then I remembered what happens when you fuck up a moka pot and are late by a few seconds and shit starts brewing up before you were ready, and then I merely was envious about small cups of coffee all over the place. I would love to have the Italian coffee culture near me, instead I make a thermos and drink it over the course of a couple hours.

I LOVE the outro theme, the weird 1-3-4 progression that signals the end of the ep is nigh. I also love the middle episode theme we heard over and over, and all the italian rap. Thom and Jonny would be proud, as sonatine did/might say, and he'd be right.

Lastly, the single most helpful thing in the whole series when you are a foreign language viewer, is the nicknames. Nobody ever asked "which one is Crazy?" when watching this show. Vocabulary, Pitbull, Lil Monk, etc.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-21 12.30.40 AM.png
Views: 196
Size:  338.4 KB
    The nickname bit might be just southern Italy or the whole country. Something to do with boys being given their grandfathers name and if some dumbass names their kid Jr you're stuck with a never ending lineage of first born with the same name.

'Ndrangheta is the worst since their clans are mostly blood relatives, they strengthen unions with other clans through marriage and occasionally marry first cousins. Sicilians and Campanians do that less.

And yea Neopolitan is it's own language, with different dialects. Something like 10% of Italians talk/understand it.

Load Metric
    Some scenery from one of the places Gomorrah depicts, starts from 10.25...

...it's much more peaceful there now. This is from 2 years ago. Few months later 2 of the remaining buildings from Le Vele were demolished.

The show depicts Scampia feud from early 2000s. Scampia is next to Secondigliano. Di Lauros are Savastanos.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oberto-saviano

Saviono is a decent storyteller, but he has a fairly loose relationship with facts.

Comments

sonatine:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

...it's much more peaceful there now. This is from 2 years ago. Few months later 2 of the remaining buildings from Le Vele were demolished.

The show depicts Scampia feud from early 2000s. Scampia is next to Secondigliano. Di Lauros are Savastanos.

Saviono is a decent storyteller, but he has a fairly loose relationship with facts.
    i really never faulted this show for being a collection of vaguely interpreted incidents. for me it was always about the craftsmanship of the production. also it seems like they deliberately left out a bunch of immediately relevant stuff to the real life situations they were (at various times) basing characters on, simply because the real life stuff was too extremely. eg dudes ratting then his son being kidnapped and being tortured for 2 years then dissolved in acid. that _could_ have made it into the show but they realized, i expect, that there are just some places that we (the audience) just dont want to go. thank christ.

great article btw. 'existenzminimum' is a concept which a lot of people are about to find themselves face to face with.

Load Metric
    We forget what Gomorrah really is: Gomorrah is not a mere synonym with Camorra, Gomorrah is an economic system wherein everything is missing, where there are no investments, no opportunities, no education, no jobs, no resources, no businesses.

When infrastructure struggles against a constant lack of funds and resources – that is Gomorrah. To be Gomorrah is not just about toting weapons, threats and extortion, drug-dealing, killing, dumping garbage and money laundering.
    as america sleep walks into 2nd world status, the above quote will go from a prescient concern to a diagnosis.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

i really never faulted this show for being a collection of vaguely interpreted incidents. for me it was always about the craftsmanship of the production. also it seems like they deliberately left out a bunch of immediately relevant stuff to the real life situations they were (at various times) basing characters on, simply because the real life stuff was too extremely. eg dudes ratting then his son being kidnapped and being tortured for 2 years then dissolved in acid. that _could_ have made it into the show but they realized, i expect, that there are just some places that we (the audience) just dont want to go. thank christ.

great article btw. 'existenzminimum' is a concept which a lot of people are about to find themselves face to face with.
    Mostly talking about world building. It's not too far off from reality of the period. During the feud there was murder a day in a area of few hundred thousand people. In the outskirts of Naples police didn't show up at nights, excluding major raids.

The characters of the show are very loosely based on one or more real life characters. Not knocking that. Saviano only had writing credits for the first 2 seasons. Those seasons are mostly based in real events/people. After that they started to veer off. The source material itself was docufiction. For unknown reasons it was marketed as non fiction expose after translation. That book wasn't too bad.

ZeroZeroZero is the more problematic one. It's semi accurate when Saviano is plagiarizing people that did actual research/interviews and way off when he starts adding his own flair to it based on practically nothing. That part is still decent in Gomorrah. He's from Naples. The exaggerations and legends are still anchored in reality. He knew how far to go to stay in the realm of truth. With ZeroZeroZero that anchor is lost.

Load Metric
    Like Cabrini-Green during the crack epidemic, but 5-10 times bigger. The gangs weren't from mid 20th century, but from early 19th century. The gangs didn't just control the street trade, they controlled importing of drugs, dipped in construction work and politics. They were/are more similar to South-American cartels in that aspect. They're just older and more ingrained to society.

The show didn't go too deep into the really fucked up things like the "triangle of death".

Oh and fairly sure Saviano just mouthed off something stupid that caused his permanent police detail running 15 years. He never exposed Camorra, he wasn't affiliated and Camorra isn't that united. There's no one to give orders to all the clans. Likely something like what got American Me in cross hairs and Blood in Blood out a beloved chicano classic or something personal. I doubt it was the subject matter with Saviano.

Load Metric

some familiar landmarks in there!

Comments

gimmick:

Load Metric
    A great show to learn Italian.

Just like Narcos: Mexico is a great show to learn Mexican.

Load Metric
    Finally got dvd set

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Finally got dvd set
    Also all on HBO Max, including L'Immortale (The Immortal), which as discussed here is needless yet still good and def worth a look if you like Gomorrah. Is buried on my HBO but there.

May revisit S5 sooner than later as the English subs on my first pass felt especially sketchy.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: thanks for the advice

Load Metric
    hbo Series Night Of was really good.

Load Metric
    absolutely still have not recovered.

Thread Information