Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Galfond to start poker site

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A big problem too is some top elite players don't want to play with close friends out of respect so they are likely to share their latest screen name at all times or if they don't and try to play their friends they might not be friends anymore. This isn't fair to all other player as far as game selection goes. These players can come to some agreement to take turns against fish.

As for labeling players obviously that is terrible on so many levels.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    A big problem too is some top elite players don't want to play with close friends out of respect so they are likely to share their latest screen name at all times or if they don't and try to play their friends they might not be friends anymore. This isn't fair to all other player as far as game selection goes. These players can come to some agreement to take turns against fish.

As for labeling players obviously that is terrible on so many levels.

wow, just wow...I mean I cant believe that phil thinks this is even remotely a good idea...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This site is headed for a massive fail ... but to be expected at this point

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The problem is that Phil and his team are too busy thinking up cutesy, innovative ideas, and not focusing enough on the core business model.

That's the entire thing in a nutshell.

I bet there's no one on their entire management team over 35.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Someone reposted what I wrote about the dynamic avatar on Galfond's blog, and he responded to it.

You can find the discussion thread on his blog here: http://www.runitonce.com/chatter/rio...rce=1-two_20-2

Scroll down and you'll find the part responding to my post.

I'll skip the beginning where he goes into a discussion of the 8 levels of avatar emotions (lol) and get to the more important parts...

Will Players Feel Judged?

There are a number of reasons I don't expect this system to cause many problems:

You will see the expression that your avatar is showing represented in other players' avatars often (you won't feel singled out).

Anyone who's played with a HUD has seen 10, 20, and 50 hand samples and knows that a 60/45 can easily end up being a 22/14. Your own Dynamic Avatar will be constantly changing.

Even if you play an 11-hour session, and your expression more-or-less stops changing at some point, other players will be cycling in and out and showing all types of expressions.

There isn't a single category, or even two categories, that all pros will fall into, even over a large sample.

Even if someone is the only rec at the table, and he plays a very long session and everyone else does too, he will very rarely be showing one expression with the other 5 players sharing a different expression.

In the company of other expressions, I don't believe anything stands out as offensive.

With the exception of the 'New Player' expression and the 'Tight-Passive' expression, this is essentially just a collection of silly faces. If you're really mad, and the lady next to you is a little bit mad, and the guy across the table is 2/3rds as mad as you are... is that embarrassing?

See, I know Phil gets it, but he doesn't really get it.

I never said people will feel singled out.

However, recs will see the painful truth that their game isn't very good.

The weak/tight guy is going to see that he's so tight that he's represented as sleepy. He won't suddenly loosen up when he sees this. He will just feel uncomfortable that he's being degraded by the software for being too tight, and will find the whole experience less fun. He will also be annoyed that other players will know not to give him action when he does play.

The tilty guy won't be happy to see he's represented as "angry". Few people ever really admit they're on tilt. They justify in their head why they're playing more hands or being more aggressive. Now they'll have the site proving to everyone that, yes, indeed they are actually tilting. Again, embarrassing and off-putting.

The retarded/stoned/drunk guy is perhaps the most insulting, as it's telling the player that his style is so bad that he must not be thinking straight.

Rec players will either find themselves humiliated that the software brands them a fish, or they will feel like they are being targeted by the players with the normal looking avatars. (And they'd be right! They absolutely WILL be targeted!)

I understand that there may be others at the table with the emotional avatars, but that doesn't keep someone from being insulted.

If I said, "Hey, you're really ugly, but don't worry, Seats 3 and 5 are just as hideous as you", the fact that you have company as an ugly person wouldn't make you feel any better.

This is the poker equivalent of that.

The beautiy of the game of poker is that there isn't one definitive style which is correct. Sometimes a "fish" or a "maniac" is simply misunderstood because his style is unconventional, but he's actually +EV at the table. This fact allows weaker players to delude themselves that they're better than they are, and that even people at the table who believe they're superior are simply underrating them.

You absolutely, positively NEVER want poker software to display anything to fish indicating that they aren't good, ESPECIALLY if that information is meant for everyone to see!

Continued next post...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    More from Galfond...

Will Players Get Better?

I'll try to be brief here because this is too long:

1. It's not as bad for the games as people think if recs improve their preflop play. It can in some cases be good for the games.
    Ugh. This is pretty much Galfond's version of Negreanu's "more rake better" moment.

Except Doug Polk doesn't hate Phil Galfond, so he'll get a pass.

But seriously, it's never "good for the games" if fish play better.

I'm sure some will try to argue that fish will be more likely to reload if they don't lose as quickly, but that's not a strong enough potential positive to make regs want to beat them slower.

You need a sufficient edge per hand over the fish at the table in order to overshadow the rake AND any deficit in skill you might have compared to the average pro at the table. You're not going to want that edge lowered simply because it's supposedly "good for the game".

2. Adjusting your game to reach a "pro expression" by using "bad expressions" to tell you which way to adjust will likely lead to as many extra mistakes as improvements.

On the contrary, it will be infuriating to pros trying to get a handle on their style, as they will play unpredictably.

The weak tight guy suddenly playing more hands will leave pros wondering, "Is this guy actually just picking up a bunch of real hands, or has his avatar shamed him into playing looser?"

Some recreational players want to improve and are going to seek knowledge in one way or another. Making incremental improvements is rewarding for them, and it makes the game much more fun. Many would quit if they felt hopeless in the games and like they weren't progressing.
    Then let them seek it out. There are tons of cheap training sites which will come up when the player googles it.

Hell, offer to sell recs "Run It Once" videos as part of your business model.

But don't shame the players who just want to play their normal style.

Some players don't care about learning and they want to have fun. If sitting at a table that fills 2 seconds later followed by a waitlist of 15 players then seeing the table break as soon as they sit out doesn't deter them from playing, I don't think a really big smile will either.
    Partially correct. Indeed, the "table full of pros sitting out when a fish busts" thing isn't a good look, nor is the lobby full of 50 open tables with 1 player sitting at each.

However, this "degrading avatar" idea is actually worse (in my opinion), because in the old-school bumhunting situations, at least the SOFTWARE isn't telling the player he stinks.

It's one thing if other players judge you that way. You can always chalk it up to being misjudged. If the software puts a target on your back by classifying you as tilty/overly tight/bad, you're not going to want to keep playing on that site if you're a rec.

A poker site should.... run the game and keep its mouth shut.

I think Phil is a good guy and is trying hard here, but he's really out in the weeds in a few major areas, and this is one.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also I hope this comment isn't true:

Marauders80 5 hours ago
    The no-HUD rule, coupled w your specific other implementations like Dynamic Avatars, awesome. It will def serve the needs of the ecosystem (whatever that means to you).

Quick question: As a mix game player who has recently given 3 months notice to his 6 figure job and plans to move my family of 4 from LA to Poland in 3 months, strictly to play on RIO, will you be offering 8g+ the other popular draw variants that are available on SwCpoker and in live mix games from AC to LA?

I've given notice to my employer and he has asked me to take the weekend to "think it over". But I'm staying true to my convictions and will be moving to Warsaw w my family in 3 months, strictly to play mid/hi mix games on RIO!

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Also I hope this comment isn't true:

Marauders80 5 hours ago
    The no-HUD rule, coupled w your specific other implementations like Dynamic Avatars, awesome. It will def serve the needs of the ecosystem (whatever that means to you).

Quick question: As a mix game player who has recently given 3 months notice to his 6 figure job and plans to move my family of 4 from LA to Poland in 3 months, strictly to play on RIO, will you be offering 8g+ the other popular draw variants that are available on SwCpoker and in live mix games from AC to LA?

I've given notice to my employer and he has asked me to take the weekend to "think it over". But I'm staying true to my convictions and will be moving to Warsaw w my family in 3 months, strictly to play mid/hi mix games on RIO!
    sounds like one of his friends giving him some advertising. Logically cannot be true, as you wouldn't have a six figure job if you were stupid enough to leave to exclusively play on a site that isn't up and probably will only have NLH for years with few players when you are a mixed game guy. So pure BS.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    God Phil has gone full Negreanu retard on this one ... this site won't last 2 years

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    A Poker Site Should

A poker site should value poker players.

It should value the casual player for the money he's willing to put on the line to play a game he loves. For choosing poker over other hobbies, and for choosing their site over other sites.

It should value the enthusiast and semi-professional for the liquidity they provide and for growing the game. For spreading the word, across different mediums, about their favorite site.

It should value the professional for embodying the dream that brings so many people to poker. For proving that poker is a game of skill. For promoting the game of poker to their fans, students, followers or subscribers.

A poker site needs to believe in the dream of poker as a career. It shouldn't cater to professionals over other players, but it must make every policy change with the viability of the dream in mind.

A poker site needs to be a software and user experience company. Like other software companies, it should be eager to mine the trove of knowledge, experience, ideas, and feedback that is its player base. It should seek to build a fun and engaging environment that all types of players enjoy playing in.
    A poker site should be transparent. It can't respond to every little idea, thought or wish, but it should do its best to explain its actions. It can't seek to please everyone by making changes that hurt the business, but it shouldn't ignore the public. It should be held accountable for the decisions it makes. It should be able to explain itself in a way that reasonable customers will understand.

A poker site should believe in fairness. Not fairness for the sake of public image and profits, but fairness for fairness's sake. It shouldn't let honest players, professional or recreational, be taken advantage of by others exploiting unenforceable rules. It should seek to put a stop to predatory behavior and to cheating of any kind. It should strive to create as level a playing field as possible.

A poker site should be agile in this ever-changing online environment. New ideas for improvement should be acted on. New advances in technology should be responded to. New problems should be met with creative solutions.

A poker site should understand that it doesn't have to lose for the players to win. Poker operators, professionals, and non-professionals all have their goals/wants/needs and these lists aren't mutually exclusive. It is possible for policy changes to be a win-win-win, or a win-win-tie. The search for these changes should be never-ending.

A poker site shouldn't obsess over where poker was five or ten years ago. It should seek to build a sustainable economy in the conditions of the present. It must continue to adapt to the climate.

I want a fair, honest, transparent poker site that believes in the dream that I have lived.

I'm going to give it my best shot.
    http://www.runitonce.com/chatter/a-poker-site-should/

This sounds great!!!

Sounds like he is going after global pokers player friendly approach.
    Seems like there doing well and the players are having fun..

Hmmmmm???
    I think the new site will do well also.

I'm sorry if u leftover hud using/bum hunting (table selection) )seat scripting/ multi tabling/rake back nits DO NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO COMPREHEND.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

This sounds great!!!

Hmmmmm???

I'm sorry if u leftover hud using/bum hunting (table selection) )seat scripting/ multi tabling/rake back nits DO NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO COMPREHEND.
    Maybe I missed something, but I feel like there 0% chance Galfond would ever ban huds. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if huds were just another feature on his site so people that can't figure out to install PT or HEM (like you) can enjoy them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I haven't watched this yet but probably will jump through it to see where Phil is coming from.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

This sounds great!!!

Hmmmmm???

When Spartan likes your ideas, you know the site is headed for FAIL CITY ! luls

Load Metric
    Heard on PFA radio about RunItUp’s plan to have player avatars change with how they play. Totally agree that this idea is dumb as shit for the reason Druff mentions.

But consider the following: What if RunItUp had its own HUD software that players could use at their own selections of various levels of detail? Players could choose how much hand statistics they want to see, perhaps grouped into 4 or so levels, such “Basic”, “Intermediate”, “Advanced”, and “Master”. And tie-in to the availability of that self-contained HUD instructional videos on how to use those stats.

As someone who shies away from online poker because I don’t want to deal with potentially playing online with HUD experts, I’d be much more willing to dip my toe into that piker pool if the HUD was built in and the site provided training on how to use that info.

Mind you, I think the daily change of user names is also a good idea, as that would make the HUD useful for a session and not help more experienced users use the info to bum hunt using longer histories. But even within an individual session, a HUD would be both useful more skilled players and instructional for lesser skilled ones.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Heard on PFA radio about RunItUp’s plan to have player avatars change with how they play. Totally agree that this idea is dumb as shit for the reason Druff mentions.

But consider the following: What if RunItUp had its own HUD software that players could use at their own selections of various levels of detail? Players could choose how much hand statistics they want to see, perhaps grouped into 4 or so levels, such “Basic”, “Intermediate”, “Advanced”, and “Master”. And tie-in to the availability of that self-contained HUD instructional videos on how to use those stats.

As someone who shies away from online poker because I don’t want to deal with potentially playing online with HUD experts, I’d be much more willing to dip my toe into that piker pool if the HUD was built in and the site provided training on how to use that info.

Mind you, I think the daily change of user names is also a good idea, as that would make the HUD useful for a session and not help more experienced users use the info to bum hunt using longer histories. But even within an individual session, a HUD would be both useful more skilled players and instructional for lesser skilled ones.
    TFW you don't even know what "bum hunting" means ... luls classic Mumbles

Comments

MumblesBadly: How does this potshot at me contribute to the discussion? Save it for the Flying Stupidity forum!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Courtesy of 2+2 user ArtyMcFly

Load Metric
    Haven't been keeping up too much. Is Phil really considering banning huds? Tldr?

Load Metric
    New policy update:

AutoSeat
    Let’s cut out some of the steps standing between you and poker.

When you open the Run It Once lobby, you’ll have the option to choose the stakes you’d like to play.

Auto Seat Example
    Click on €50* No Limit Hold’em, and a modal will pop up where you can toggle the number of tables you want to join. Click “Okay, Buy In” and you’re at the table.

*Spoiler: We’ve chosen the euro as our in-game currency.

No scouting tables; no seating scripts to contend with or to decide whether to use. Just click twice and you’re playing poker.

“But wait, Phil,” some of you are thinking, “you skipped the part where I choose how much to buy in with.”

Good catch, but actually, I didn’t!

€50 No Limit Hold’em
    Many of us refer to €0.25/€0.50 as "€50NL" and €5/€10 as "€1k NL," but on most sites that’s not actually what they mean; the buy-in is variable.

On Run It Once, €50 NL means €50 NL. The blinds are €0.25/€0.50 and the buy-in is €50.

Click on 50
    At €1k NL, the blinds are €5/€10 and the buy-in is €1000. Simple enough, right?

This quick, clear buy-in process aligns with the experience we are trying to achieve at Run It Once Poker. I’ve tested it, and it feels good.

Like any policy choice, there are upsides and downsides. The main downside people jump to is “Recs like to buy in short.”

Anecdotally, it does seem that many recreational players, especially the pure beginners, tend to buy-in short. I’m sure they each have their own reasons for it, and I won’t pretend to know what all those reasons are.

I don’t believe that many players will be deterred by clicking on “€50 No Limit Hold’em” and then being forced to buy in for €50. I also don’t expect many to look at the blinds (which will also be shown in the lobby) and say “these are too low” and quit.

I could be wrong about both of these things, and if it becomes a problem, like everything else, we can adjust.

One benefit of a 100bb buy-in is that it forces bankroll management onto the type of recreational player who normally just plays the highest game they’re able to. Rather than 2 tabling with 80-100bb total, they’ll need to drop down in stakes and 2 table with 200 total big blinds. This leads to deposits lasting longer, which for most will mean a better experience. (I concede, some will prefer the quicker gamble of shorter stacks - pros and cons)

Arguably the strongest positive to a fixed buy-in system relates to the removal of the main advantages that come with short-stacking and ratholing; more potential edges that pros have to choose whether or not to take advantage of when sitting at a table that allows a range of buy-in options.

To be clear: there is nothing remotely unethical about shortstacking, and although I find ratholing very annoying personally, if people are operating within the rules to do it, I can’t call it wrong. We just want something different for our playing experience.

We believe in the beauty of poker. We don’t want it to be about deciding whether or not to maximize your edge by exploiting technicalities. We just want you to show up and play.

Pure Poker
    On the major sites, players have to make a lot of decisions about what they want to use to increase their advantage and what they’d rather not. These things run the gamut from completely ethical to outright breaking the rules:

Table Selection
    Seat Selection
    HUDs
    Short-stacking
    Bumhunting
    Seating Scripts
    Ratholing
    Datamining
    Multi-accounting
    To the professionals:

Don’t worry about picking the best table, about finding the perfect seat and then buying in for the right amount based on the makeup of the table and your opponents’ stack sizes. Don’t worry about designing a HUD for our games or about whether or not to use a seating script. Don’t spend half of your mental energy staring at the lobby. Don’t fear being exploited by multi-accounters and dataminers.

In the same way that the players torn about how much time to take in MTTs enjoy that burden being lifted by a shot clock, let us handle improving the experience for everyone else so that you don’t need to decide whether or not to play your part.

To the recreational players:

Don’t worry about pros having a huge informational advantage over you, or about your results being made public. Enjoy not being hunted, not being targeted and attacked in the same way you are on other sites. Enjoy the extra information on your opponents and their play styles, all delivered within a nice, clean interface.

To everyone:

Relax and enjoy the ability to focus on what made you love poker in the first place: the actual game of poker. Have fun!

Open our lobby, pick your games, and just play.
    https://www.runitonce.eu/news/3-just...3_16-7_1-three
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Ugh

These are mostly

The auto-seating sucks. I hate it on Bovada. Question: Can people even see which games are running? Because on Bovada you can't, so it's very difficult to tell where to sit.

But okay... let's concede the auto-seating because he really wants to prevent bumhunting. Fine.

But the universal buyin thing?

Get the fuck outta here.

Even he understands why it sucks. Indeed, fish love to sit at a game way too big for them with their entire roll. By requiring 100 BB to sit, they've pretty much killed that.

Furthermore, some people prefer to buy in more or less. This should be allowed, bounded by reasonable minimums and maximums.

They're really overthinking this entire project.

Gold
    Load Metric
    It is going to be a fail site. It already has been delayed by years, I don't see it lasting 6 months once it goes live.

Thread Information