Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Live Event You Have Been To we will say EVER ( Your top 3 ALL TIME)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Greatest Live Event You Have Been To we will say EVER ( Your top 3 ALL TIME)

i'LL START WITH THE MOST Recent

I rented a house this past 4th of July on the NH coast. I got tix to a Beach Boys Show. I show up with my girl and it is mostly geezers. But the vibe is kind of electric. The beach boys are kind of being held alive by mike Love (kevins uncle) and one other dude but they have stage musicians.

2 songs in she says to me HEY IS THAT JOHN STAMOS. And I have been watching this guy cause he has been electric on the guitar and backup vocals but I cant "see him" cause after 4 years my lasic is 80 % and I say no.

She says your fucking blind ( I now wear glasses) and goes up and gets a selfie with John fucking Stamos.

Show I expected like a 6. I grade it like a 9.7 Mike Love was on point and the musicians they had there were awesome studio musicions and stamos was GOD. That night I learned he was in the kokomo video and has been touring with them on and off since he was on general hospital in 1986.

After the show I went out back with the ladies I was with as well as about 500 fans(max 200 club?)

There were 2 private SUVS

All these broads wanted stamos. Whole night after I knew it was stamos destroying the guitar and backup vocals I wish I went the night before at the same place to see Bob Saget. Heard he was god

Anyhow Stamos walks out. I was about 7 feet from him. Looked him in the eye kind of laughing and he was with his wife/gf who was mint. He looked scared and his car got STORMED.

They drove slowly through the crowd and I watched them take a 5 min walk to the edge of the lot before I turned to the other vehicle.

Other vehicle was occupied by Mike Love (kevins Uncle) and during the show when Mike gave stamos some speaking time stamos gave so much + talk and gratitude to Mike Love for holding together what was left of the beach boys.

Now a lot of people (even people my age who are 40) probably wouldn't get this trivia question right. If I were to ask YOU which USA band has the most impact on any type of music I think Elvis would come up?

But I think it is the beach boys

like 4 decades or 5 with a #1 hit or top 10 album and they have sold like 100 million

Around the time when I got the tickets I started reading a lot about them because I am a history buff. Members have sued other members and won as much as 20 million for royalties.

great inovative act. In their prime their lead dog who was their creative leader would not go on tour with them (brian wilson). He just kept writing shit. His obsession was to catch the beatles. Ironically the last album they released which he wrote at the time got shit on and now is one of the most critically albums ever acclaimed by any top musicians. Even Paul Mccartney said it was probably the best and most influential album he heard till this time.

Pet Sounds

just unreal

Sold less than 1 million copys which was a failure then but now so progressive for the time

Babara ann which I post below was the first song in that era to have like 10+ instruments on the track and the beatles took this and

PAUL: "The early surf records...I was aware of them as a musical act, and I used to like all that, but I didn't get deeply interested in it---it was just a real nice sound...We used to admire the singing, the high falsetto really and the very sort of 'California' lyrics.

"It was later...it was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. First of all, it was Brian's writing. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life---I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album. I was into the writing and the songs.

"The other thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the bass lines on Pet Sounds. If you were in the key of C, you would normally use---the root note would be, like, a C on the bass (demonstrates vocally). You'd always be on the C. I'd done a little bit of work, like on 'Michelle,' where you don't use the obvious bass line. And you just get a completely different effect if you play a G when the band is playing in C. There's a kind of tension created.

"I don't really understand how it happens musically, because I'm not very technical musically. But something special happens. And I noticed that throughout that Brian would be using notes that weren't the obvious notes to use. As I say, 'the G if you're in C---that kind of thing. And also putting melodies in the bass line. That I think was probably the big influence that set me thinking when we recorded Pepper, it set me off on a period I had then for a couple of years of nearly always writing quite melodic bass lines."

Comments

Henry:

Crowe Diddly: solid thread rep

GringoStar: Great thread, but you almost lost me at "John fucking Stamos."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Pretty sick. mccartney when he started experimenting with Psychadelics was influenced by this and from that point on the beatles changed and continued dominating with newish sounds.

which is another thing ironic in itself because their most acclaimed album got DESTROYED by this album and this summer I started listening to these guys a ton who beat the beatles for album of the year

Kind of funny too cause the OG lead singer of BST appointed this canuck (and OG produced) and they both owned.

Who has a better voice? This canuck or the guy below? And man the guy below, how much royalties did Warren G pay?

Comments

Tellafriend: MM underappreciated rep

Sanlmar: Good post

Henry:

Load Metric
    Liked seeing this post from you on this subject.

Born too late to experience 60's music. I have long been fascinated by the informal competition between the bands. The way one band would innovate in some way that would inspire another group. Band members from the Byrds or whatever would jump from group to group. There was a tight musical fraternity that never existed again to that degree

I mean yeah we have Americas Got Talent but it's not the same.

CSN&Y ... One supergroup begat another.

Clapton ... The man that inspired "Clapton is God" graffiti in subways and most civilized parts of the world. We still borrow to this day... "China is god".

Most of all I loved reading the Beatles books that inevitably cover Brian Wilson.

Recording technology was 2 stones and some string at the start of this era. Mono, stereo, tape looping tricks .. Massive innovation and real creativity.

Drugs were still new and that opened shit up. Ended more than a few too which was fascinating on its own.

Every year brought monster creative and technical leaps that just aren't possible today.

Everything was all new. Stadium shows had never been done, for instance. Television and mass media. All new. Begat Beatlemania cause nobody simultaneously shared the same new experience at once.

It was a great social experiment in real time. Throw in the Viet Nam war and social politics and the music had purpose and anger.

The writing that chronicals the period is top notch. Just close your eyes and pick something and you'll be lost for days.

I gotta think about top Live Experience. I have had many moments after a show when I have said, "that is the greatest fucking thing I ever saw". I have not closed my book. I always am open to hoping I will feel that way again.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-28-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Load Metric
    The first concert I ever went to, when I was 17, was Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. That's been pretty tough to top.

One of the strangest, most fun, concerts I went to was a few years later. There was a not-that-popular ska band called The Pilfers that I liked. They were supposed to play a show with a bunch of similar bands, and due to some major logistical fuck up, it was canceled like the day before, maybe that morning. They were already in Indianapolis when it was canceled, so they called around and got added to the end of a lineup at a little venue right near my house. The headliner that night was a Grateful Dead-esque hippy band. We show up at like midnight and start drinking. At 1:30, this ska band comes on and LITERALLY everyone else in the place leaves. It was the 5 guys in the band, the bartender, me, and two friends in the building. Being pros, they played for like an hour, and we're fucking around with them and buying them all drinks, and I think I purchased every piece of merch they had for sale.

Load Metric
    My top 3:

Seeing the Eagles in Oct 2014 in Vegas. Second time we saw them on their History tour(third time overall as we also saw them in 2013 in our "hometown" as well as from the second row in 2007 on another tour) &, little did we know, would be the last time we'd ever see Glenn Frey alive.

Seeing the Police on their reunion tour in 2008 in a stadium. I was a big fan back in the day(yes, I'm that old) & never thought I'd ever get the chance to see them live.

Just recently getting to see Peter Gabriel live on his "Rock, Paper, Scissors" tour with Sting. Just an awesome concert by both performers but was really looking forward to Peter Gabriel because I'd always wanted to see him live dating back to his Genesis days. Yes, I'm really old enough to remember that shit.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Super Bowl 42

Load Metric
    velvet révolution prague nov 17 1989

Name:  images-1.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  Unknown-1.jpeg
Views: 360
Size:  19.1 KB

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  8.6 KB

we escaped the communist but the road ahead was rough and long and showed how incredibly selfish and corrupt politicians could be.

for the most part it was a win.

Jan Palach.... never forget

“ "It was not so much in opposition to the Soviet occupation, but the demoralization which was setting in, that people were not only giving up, but giving in. And he wanted to stop that demoralization. I think the people in the street, the multitude of people in the street, silent, with sad eyes, serious faces, which when you looked at those people you understood that everyone understands, that all the decent people were on the verge of making compromises."

Name:  JanPalach.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  8.6 KB

Name:  600px-Palach-Zajic-memorial.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  49.5 KB

Comments

MumblesBadly: Real shit rep
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 08-28-2016 at 01:29 PM.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    What a great thread, hard to decide on what's best.

First, because I already wrote about it in a tony bag thread, is Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes, Worcester MA, October, 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

The Crowes/Jimmy Page tour was one of the single best things to ever happen in this world, ever. I had friends who worked at Tweeter Etc while I was in college, and I worked there for a few years after, so I always got good seats at face value for whatever was in the area, since Tweeter sponsored everything in the area. Sometimes you were 5 rows back, sometimes you were 15-20 rows back, but always worthwhile. For this show, it was Jimmy and the Crowes in the Worcester Centrum, October 16, '99. It was a great day anyway because Pedro Martinez was crushing Roger Clemens and the Yankees in the 4 o'clock ALCS game, it was probably like 8 or 9 to nothing before we even got into the Centrum. Anyway, we were supposed to be like 3 sections back on the floor, row 14 in that section, ow some such shit. We got into the building, got a few beers, and started walking from the back of the place to find our seats. Turns out the First section had only like 4 rows, the next section didn't exist, and our section started at like row 10 or something, so we had expected good seats, and ended up with killer seats. The place kinda exploded a little while later, when the 13-1 final score went up on the screen. I mean, Pedro stomping Roger in the ALCS, that's enough to make your week, nevermind any concert.www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199910160.shtml WHen they came out, it's hard to describe how awesome everything was. The band was solid as could be, Chris could sing Plant better than Plant could at this point, and jimmy page played exactly like you always hope he would. I mean, I never would have imagined it possible to hear shit like 10 Years Gone and Sick Again and all these amazing Zeppelin songs, but they were fuckin doing it amazingly well. My favorite current band, playing the hits of the best rock band of all time, with the mastermind guitarist of that band (JIMMY FUCKING PAGE!!!!11!!) playing with them. Oh yeah, and Joe Perry popped in for the last few songs to jam along, because why the fuck not, you know? Solos for everyone. In hindsight, probably my sentimental favorite arena show I've ever seen, or will see.
    Next 2 after I ponder a bit. Most likely a concert and a Patriots playoff game, only questions are which ones.

Load Metric
    Lakers vs Kings Game 6

SFO

Comments

lol wow: insanely jealous

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Chronologically.

High school, wide eyed virgin....attended a batchelor party I think where the enteryainment was two lezzies going whole hog(yes fisting) on a mattress in the living room. My hormone enraged friend actually asked the hired muscle if he could join in.

The U.S. Open Medina. Hale Irwin Mike Donald. Had to leave before playoff

U2 Zooropa Vancouver Pacific Colisium...... bestsoundinahockeyrink.com

Steven Malkmus and the Jicks at Richard's on Richards with a last minute fill-in opening act ...Neko Case, now known as mrs. limitles. Just her, a guitar and omg.

Load Metric
    rofl you went to the zooropa tour

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    naw man, cause you cant go wrong as prior events were unavailble at the time as were those that followed

I am not certain Zooropa was the tour in question. I thought it was the Achtung Baby tour but Wiki was my source

There it be. Was Achtung Baby all the while
    couple of ok songs imo

1. "The Fly"
      Released: 21 October 1991
    2. "Mysterious Ways"
      Released: 24 November 1991
    3. "One"
      Released: March 1992
    4. "Even Better Than the Real Thing"
      Released: 8 June 1992
    5. "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"
      Released: August 1992
    Last edited by limitles; 08-28-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Load Metric
    ICP at the house of Blues in 1999 (shaggy 2 dope fell off the stage and cracked his head open after slipping on faygo). yes i know it's ICP, but 12 year old larry had a fucking blast. let me tell you.

BloodHoundGang also in '99 at the HOB (my first show, i staged dived and was invited back stage to meet the band)

and earlier this year I saw the DMC Chicago. a few kids i know competed. it was awesome

(honorable mention to the Sublime with Rome and Dirty Heads show i saw in july)

Comments

OSA: icp
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    actually, the greatest live event i've ever been to, was that time 30 years ago that my mom gave birth to me. pretty fuckin' sweet.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill tour at the Spectrum while on acid. Opening act was Public Enemy before anyone knew who they were, and Murphy's Law. Before the show started the entire general admission area was a giant brawl that delayed the show by at least an hour. The show itself was amazing and most of what I recall was go go dancers grinding on giant inflatable dicks and the Beastie Boys having an uncanny ability of being able to catch flying cans of beer they tossed to one another while performing.

Pink Floyd at the Vet in 1988 for the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, also on acid.

Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time tour in 1987, of course while on acid.

Comments

hongkonger: so basically acid

Load Metric
    rofl druff thank you for giving us larry

AN ICP CONCERT IS WHAT HE GOES WITH

Load Metric
    like cmon

Load Metric
    What a great thread, hard to decide on what's best.

First, because I already wrote about it in a tony bag thread, is Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes, Worcester MA, October, 1999.

The Crowes/Jimmy Page tour was one of the single best things to ever happen in this world, ever. I had friends who worked at Tweeter Etc while I was in college, and I worked there for a few years after, so I always got good seats at face value for whatever was in the area, since Tweeter sponsored everything in the area. Sometimes you were 5 rows back, sometimes you were 15-20 rows back, but always worthwhile. For this show, it was Jimmy and the Crowes in the Worcester Centrum, October 16, '99. It was a great day anyway because Pedro Martinez was crushing Roger Clemens and the Yankees in the 4 o'clock ALCS game, it was probably like 8 or 9 to nothing before we even got into the Centrum. Anyway, we were supposed to be like 3 sections back on the floor, row 14 in that section, ow some such shit. We got into the building, got a few beers, and started walking from the back of the place to find our seats. Turns out the First section had only like 4 rows, the next section didn't exist, and our section started at like row 10 or something, so we had expected good seats, and ended up with killer seats. The place kinda exploded a little while later, when the 13-1 final score went up on the screen. I mean, Pedro stomping Roger in the ALCS, that's enough to make your week, nevermind any concert.www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199910160.shtml WHen they came out, it's hard to describe how awesome everything was. The band was solid as could be, Chris could sing Plant better than Plant could at this point, and jimmy page played exactly like you always hope he would. I mean, I never would have imagined it possible to hear shit like 10 Years Gone and Sick Again and all these amazing Zeppelin songs, but they were fuckin doing it amazingly well. My favorite current band, playing the hits of the best rock band of all time, with the mastermind guitarist of that band (JIMMY FUCKING PAGE!!!!11!!) playing with them. Oh yeah, and Joe Perry popped in for the last few songs to jam along, because why the fuck not, you know? Solos for everyone. In hindsight, probably my sentimental favorite arena show I've ever seen, or will see.
    Next 2 after I ponder a bit. Most likely a concert and a Patriots playoff game, only questions are which ones.

I was there for this same show! def a top 3... around the same time saw The Black Crowes at the Pearl St. in N. Hampton from about 5 ft away with like 1000 people max, another great one. Also, saw Peter Frampton give a free concert on the esplanade in like '97 on 3 tabs of acid, life changing. Some of the Allman Brothers shows from the Beacon in NYC were also top top.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Pearl St was a Mr Crowe's Garden show, we were there too rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    rofl druff thank you for giving us larry

AN ICP CONCERT IS WHAT HE GOES WITH

druff didn't give you Larry. Pokerfuse did. because that's how i found the show, and that's how i found the forum.

as for the ICP concert, it was my second one ever, i was in 8th grade.

so eat a dick or something. or a snickers. or a poo.

yeah eat a poo. thats the ticket.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    1. I participated in the torch relay, opening and closing ceremonies for the 10th Pan-American Games in Indy in 1987. The torch relay was celebrities and sports figures of course, but some local kids got a chance to carry the torch with the celebrity/athlete running alongside. I ran alongside Oscar Robertson (Indy native) and passed the torch to him. He was the last torch runner before handing it off to Wilma Rudolph who lit the cauldron.

2. I've attended two dozen Indy 500s. The spectacle, tradition and excitement give me chills every time. There's nothing like it.

3. My family were guests on a US naval vessel in New York Harbor on July 4, 1986 when the State of Liberty was rededicated on its 100th anniversary and also on the occasion of the completion of its repair/cleaning. The torch was re-lit just before the fireworks display. It was incredible.

Honorable mention:

Been to 2 Final Fours held in Indy, including the 1997 OT thriller Arizona over Kentucky.

Went to the 2002 NCAA regional final in Lexington where my Hoosiers shot 15/19 from 3-point range to end the Cinderella run of 10 seed Kent State. That may be the loudest place I've ever been. Too bad they lost the championship game to Maryland.

Went to game 2 of the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals at Joe Louis Arena. The Wings were heavily favored but lost game 1 in OT to Carolina so everyone was on edge. The Wings scored a shorthanded goal in the first and everyone relaxed but later in the period gave up a shorthanded goal so everyone tightened up again. Nobody scored again until the third when the Wings scored 2 to win. Incredible atmosphere in the Joe.

Been to a bunch of concerts. Saw Paul McCartney twice, 1989 and 2002. Saw the Stones in 1988, 1994, 1999, 2003, 2014 and they are always great. Saw Steely Dan so many times. Saw the Police and Eagles reunion tours, something I never thought I would see. But the best concert I've ever seen might have been Michael Jackson on the Bad tour in 1987 at the Hoosier Dome. That man was so fucking talented.

Thread Information