Thread: Justin Shronk Memorial Charity Tournament

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Justin Shronk Memorial Charity Tournament

Justin Shronk was a great guy and a part of this community. I still remember when certain people in poker were trashing me for my outspokenness regarding the AP scandal, and he spoke up in my defense -- both on radio and in an article for Pokerroad. He was a loyal friend to many people here. Nearly everyone who knew Justin really liked him, but he unexpectedly passed away in 2009 as a result of his ongoing health problems. He was only 26.

Silence (Mariealena D'Agostino) posted on DD about the Justin Shronk Memorial Charity Tournament, and I figure it's worth reposting over here:

Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    Justin was a Broadcasting Telecommunications and Mass Media (BTMM) major, and graduated from Temple University. The family and University have set up a scholarship in his name to award to one student who meets certain qualifications (I.e, fallen on financial hardship due to the loss of a parent), but who also exemplifies the same dedication and zeal for life that Justin did while he was here with us until his life was cut tragically short at age 27, in 2009. http://www.temple.edu/sct/btmm/scholarships.htm

They have raised money and had other charity events in Justin's honor, but this time Rick Blumenthal and crew were looking to make this event more grand than ever before. I suggested that we take advantage of Revel Resort's new opening in Atlantic City, NJ, and ask them to host and run the event for us. I'm happy to say that Frank Foti, the general poker room manager, agreed without hesitation.

The date is set for Saturday, August 18th, 2012. The tournament will start at 12 Noon. It will be a $200 + $15 Buy-in and Entry fee NL tournament with $200 re-buys for the first 3 levels. The structure will be posted in the near future, but has already been set by Revel. This is a one day event. 50% will go to the prize pool, and 50% will go to the charity. Frank Foti and the Revel Resort poker room will be handling the buy-in at the cage, as well as directing the tournament. We are all hopeful that this event will run smoothly, and be a lot of fun for everyone involved. I hope those of you who live in or close to the area will participate even if you never had the chance to meet Justin. Trust me when I tell you he was a wonderful and amazing person, who had an outstanding wit and sense of humor.

We will also hopefully have Fifth Street Radio covering the event, as Rick Blumenthal is affiliated with them. I have sent out an initial tweet regarding the tournament. If you follow me on twitter @SilenceNWP, and you think any of your own followers would be interested in knowing about the event I'd ask you to please RT. Thank you all in advance! If you have any questions about the event, please feel free to contact me.

Advance note: This is a 501-C class Charity, and Frank Foti is checking is whether or not the cage can collect all the money for the charity and the prize pool. He believes that the cage CAN handle it all because of the charity type, but needs to be certain. In the event that the cage can only collect the money for the prize pool (which is what players are most concerned about) there will be one person by the window (perhaps myself, Rick Blumenthal, or even Justin's mother, Kim) collecting the other half of the money for the charity.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Silence is awesome.

Miss es0terix, man. Met that dude in 2006, real funny cat. PokerRoad really went downhill after he died, he was a very talented young producer.

Thread Information