Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Game of Thrones.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Question about Game of Thrones.

For people here who have read the books, is it worth it to get them? How does the TV series compare to the books? Is the story line the same? Or did they change a lot of plots to make it more interesting on TV? Holler.

Name:  gottitle.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  49.6 KB
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric
    I watched the first season of Game of Thrones and am currently reading the first book of the series.

I usually read fast but after 170 pages it plays out almost exactly like the TV show, causing me to read slowly because I essentially know everything that is going on. Maybe this changes as you get deeper into the book. It's an incredibly easy read.

I actually have a lot more respect for the show now after reading some of the first book, they did an incredible job casting and depicting scenes.

Load Metric
    there is actually a very solid thread about this on DD:

http://www.donkdown.com/forum/real-talk-t85681.html

The books are terrible but Im glad I read them, if only to appreciate how magnificently the writers of the HBO series have managed to activate their bishops.

To be clear, I enjoyed the first book, got queasy about the future of the series during the second, and wanted to beat to death the ghostwriters of the remaining 2500 odd pages by the third. It turns to absolute shit, fast and hard.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    I watched the first season of Game of Thrones and am currently reading the first book of the series.

I usually read fast but after 170 pages it plays out almost exactly like the TV show, causing me to read slowly because I essentially know everything that is going on. Maybe this changes as you get deeper into the book. It's an incredibly easy read.

I actually have a lot more respect for the show now after reading some of the first book, they did an incredible job casting and depicting scenes.

Thanks Joe. I did the same thing you did after the first Lord of the Rings movie came out. I like what you said about casting and depicting scenes, because while reading The Fellowship, I felt as if I could put a face with the character.

Load Metric
    The first season mirrors, almost to the letter, the first book.

The second season strays from the book a lot more.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

The books are terrible but Im glad I read them, if only to appreciate how magnificently the writers of the HBO series have managed to activate their bishops.

To be clear, I enjoyed the first book, got queasy about the future of the series during the second, and wanted to beat to death the ghostwriters of the remaining 2500 odd pages by the third. It turns to absolute shit, fast and hard.
    Wow so the first book is actually the best, and maybe the only good read? I will check out the DD thread in a bit. What is it about the 2nd and 3rd? Did it simply just drag on and on, with no real conclusion? That sucks to hear.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    hey

i aint good four reading so i watch the shows only - this dern show be awsome everweek its on - i done like the dude in black that guards the imp - he done be a old scool hardass - I also think the damn faceless man be intersted as hell and i hopes he be in the show alot - dragons done seemed tuff but them white zombies aint seemed to tuff -

only better show on tv is walking dead to me -

slim t

Load Metric
    the second is interesting but as the series grinds on, he just seemed to constantly write himself into corners which he (or his ghostwriters) would resolve by abruptly killing off characters then adding horrible new tangents to fill the void.

over. and. over.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    the second is interesting but as the series grinds on, he just seemed to constantly write himself into corners which he (or his ghostwriters) would resolve by abruptly killing off characters then adding horrible new tangents to fill the void.

over. and. over.

Ahh I see what your saying. That sucks to hear. Nothing is worse than a story that starts off with a bang, that drags on forever, yet you can't put it down because you hope it will finally all come together.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post

over. and. over.

Ahh I see what your saying. That sucks to hear. Nothing is worse than a story that starts off with a bang, that drags on forever, yet you can't put it down because you hope it will finally all come together.
    prepare for thousands of pages of this.

Load Metric
    I'm pretty sure hardcore fans of the book thing the third is by far the best.. If you want spoilers for next season google "The Red Wedding"

Load Metric
    It's fiberglass, not iron, but its still 350lb.

http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=373634&dm=true

Platinum
    Load Metric
    2nd season of the show strays from the books way more than the first, and this trend will probably continue moving forward. Mainly, the straying is done to make things more concise. I read some interview with GRRM who said this is mainly because the books keep getting longer and longer, but HBO is not making the seasons longer to accommodate, so something has to give.

Also, he warns that he has plans in his future books for characters that HBO has changed a lot that wont gel with the show plotline, which is going to create a butterfly effect where the show could look very different from the books by the end.

My biggest change I didn't like is with the fight between Jon and Quorin Halfhand. The way the show set it up, it makes it seem much more unrealistic he had actually betrayed the rangers and joined the wildlings.

Two changes I actually liked is the Dany storyline in Quarth (which I found real boring in the book) and Theon's story arc (his betrayal of the Starks actually seems more realistic and less contrived in the show than the book IMO).

Also, a lot of detail and scope in the Battle of Kings Landing was lost, but this is understandable as they obviously do not have the budget to turn it into an epic battle, like the Battle of Pellenor Fields, which it is supposed to be.
    Last edited by ErickAA; 06-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    2nd season of the show strays from the books way more than the first, and this trend will probably continue moving forward. Mainly, the straying is done to make things more concise. I read some interview with GRRM who said this is mainly because the books keep getting longer and longer, but HBO is not making the seasons longer to accommodate, so something has to give.

Also, he warns that he has plans in his future books for characters that HBO has changed a lot that wont gel with the show plotline, which is going to create a butterfly effect where the show could look very different from the books by the end.

My biggest change I didn't like is with the fight between Jon and Quorin Halfhand. The way the show set it up, it makes it seem much more unrealistic he had actually betrayed the rangers and joined the wildlings.

Two changes I actually liked is the Dany storyline in Quarth (which I found real boring in the book) and Theon's story arc (his betrayal of the Starks actually seems more realistic and less contrived in the show than the book IMO).

Also, a lot of detail and scope in the Battle of Kings Landing was lost, but this is understandable as they obviously do not have the budget to turn it into an epic battle, like the Battle of Pellenor Fields, which it is supposed to be.

One point: Before the fight, Quorin whispers something conspiratorial to Jon then makes a big show of kicking him down the hill. I believe the intent here was to portray their conspiracy, which of course is well orchestrated in the book.

I felt the same about it ultimately but they I feel like at least they tried.

I LOVE what they have done with Dany's storyline, which I stopped reading completely in the books due to it being High Faggotry.

Btw I feel we are in for more awkward side glances regarding the Jamie/Brienne/Catherine plot arc....... losing the influence of the Bloody Mummers there really subtracts a lot of emotional impetus from their respective destinies.

Load Metric

prepare for thousands of pages of this.
    Sonatine couldnt be any more wrong as usual. The Game of Thrones books are universally loved and praised. I have read the entire series and they are all great reads. Sonatine is notorious for hating on almost all popular shows and books because he fancies himself a writer and hates anything he deems to be mainstream. Sonatine is simply spewing gibberish at this point. Sonatine is exactly like an unsuccessful guitar player that had only played in his basement but thinks hes underrated and the best guitar player ever and that Jimi Hendrix sucks dick.

Name:  haters1.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  4.9 KB
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Grammatically Challenged Scammer

Load Metric
    Name:  horse.bmp
Views: 261
Size:  147.7 KB

Grammatically Challenged Scammer
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    even your opinions are scams.

Load Metric

Wow so the first book is actually the best, and maybe the only good read? I will check out the DD thread in a bit. What is it about the 2nd and 3rd? Did it simply just drag on and on, with no real conclusion? That sucks to hear.
    Don't listen to him. He's always high and mighty on his sublime horse when he talks literature. All the books are great if you like the show and characters. Like Serial said, the first season mirrors the first book and the second season strays. Not really strays, but they just can't cover everything in the books. For instance, wild fire is a big deal in the book, and the planning of tyrions attack with it. They didn't show that on hbo. Alot more detail in the books. Also, you can buy the first four books for thirty bucks on e books. Special deal.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post

Don't listen to him. He's always high and mighty on his sublime horse when he talks literature. All the books are great if you like the show and characters. Like Serial said, the first season mirrors the first book and the second season strays. Not really strays, but they just can't cover everything in the books. For instance, wild fire is a big deal in the book, and the planning of tyrions attack with it. They didn't show that on hbo. Alot more detail in the books. Also, you can buy the first four books for thirty bucks on e books. Special deal.

The rest of the stuff that gets cut or changed from the book is stuff that the show doesn't really miss. Like the Chain during the Blackwater battle and the fact that Tyrion has his nose cut off by the hired assassin but in the show his face is just cut.

Stuff that might anger people who want the show to stay 100% true to the books but it is stuff that doesn't change the plot or the basic story.

Thread Information