Thread: Player on twitter claims ACR/WPN ignoring him after 11.5K was stolen from his account

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Player on twitter claims ACR/WPN ignoring him after 11.5K was stolen from his account

A poker player named Alex Foxen (@WAFoxen) came out on twitter today saying ACR is ignoring him after 11.5K was stolen after account was hacked.

Pretty bad timing for ACR's security, considering ACR must of been fist pumping the Bovada/Ignition news yesterday.

ACR is crap, IMO.

http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Banned
    Load Metric
    ACR is claiming that the thief had a copy of his passport, but it does look like he just used basic social engineering to gain access to the account.

Someone with an ACR account try this: Make a new e-mail account, contact ACR support, and give them very basic information like your name, address, phone number, etc. No social, no IDs. Tell them you want to switch e-mail accounts and reset your password. See if they let you.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    ACR is claiming that the thief had a copy of his passport, but it does look like he just used basic social engineering to gain access to the account.

Someone with an ACR account try this: Make a new e-mail account, contact ACR support, and give them very basic information like your name, address, phone number, etc. No social, no IDs. Tell them you want to switch e-mail accounts and reset your password. See if they let you.
    I doubt it will happen again.

I'm sure ACR has changed the protocol since this controversy started (even before it was made public).

Small chance this guy is lying, especially since this happened TWICE to the same guy and nobody else to my knowledge. It's possible this was a freeroll on his part, and the money was dumped to friends or just outright lost by him.

I think I believe him, though.

If this is true, I suggest that the guy threaten to DDoS ACR until he gets his money back, and if they don't make good, actually do it.

That's what I would do.

It's not like the police are going to get involved in this.

Load Metric
    are you good enough to DDOS though.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Off topic, but yes I could manage a DDoS against them.

Normally I would never do this to a site (even if I hated it) because it's highly illegal.

However, given that ACR itself is illegal (and not operating from the US), and given that this guy would have a seemingly valid claim that they stole $11k from him, he could probably justify the DDoS as an act of prevention from others getting cheated the same way, or something like that.

Now, this is not my fight, so I'm not getting involved, nor am I saying that any of us should. For all we know, this dude could be lying or only telling half the story (though again, I think I believe him).

I'm just saying that, if it were me, I would start threatening them with DDoS unless they make it right, since ACR has shown a vulnerability to DDoS attacks in the past.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    What a weird response.

I wonder if it's possible that someone jacked the photo ID and personal details he originally sent ACR from his computer.

That is, he probably scanned and uploaded his ID at some point, and it's probably on his computer. Did perhaps someone get access to his computer (remotely or perhaps a roommate) and then get this stuff, subsequently using it to gain access to his account?

I still find it REALLY WEIRD that this happened to him twice, especially since there were no other victims.

Anyone know this guy's financial situation? Is it likely he would be pulling a scam/freeroll on ACR here?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's his Hendon Mob:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=237683

The response from ACR just makes me want to believe the guy more and more. The whole, "you creating with help the secure account tutorial" is totally a backhand.

That being said, I see Druff's potential freeroll angle as a possibilty.....granted he's probably got a gambling problem like the rest of us, but the fact a) he kept playing on the network after getting rolled the first time b) didn't snap take off his funds after winning the second time he played knowing full well that (if the story is accurate), ACR has flawed security and he could lose all his dough at anytime (with ACR not giving a fuck), is weird.

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I wonder who is paying for his travel to the "ACR offices", which are presumably in Costa Rica or something.

Weird ending to the story.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Definitely something missing from the story.

Did the "Were you at the WSOP" thing get addressed?

My guess is they offered him a chunk of his money back and then discussed what he would be posting on twitter.

"and am having my funds reimbursed" does not read the same as "They are covering the entire $11.5k"

Thread Information