Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bad beat: Two PFA users who bought pieces of me at the WSOP had my payment check to them stolen, and my bank account was used to buy shit at Target

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Come on guys, don't fuck up this thread.

At least give me the chance to talk Target into giving me the info on the scammer.

Comments

LarryLaffer: social engineering phone phreaker rep. get him

Henry: My bad man

Load Metric
    One time, let Druff find the person who did it and get them on radio.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Oddly, the Lancaster one was only $24 and change, and the Palmdale one was $175.

Not sure which was done first.

I was assuming Lancaster was done first, as sort of a "test", and then they went bigger at Palmdale.

Interestingly, they didn't do anything more between the 26th and today when I shut down the bank account.
    so accuse me of profiling, but i would strongly suspect the thieves were of color because Lancaster & Palmdale have a very disproportionate number of section 8 residents...surprising in that those two areas are over 60 miles from central Los Angeles
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric

At least give me the chance to talk Target into giving me the info on the scammer.
    Henry started it.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Im telling you, he was gonna get butt raped in jail for sure.
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Oddly, the Lancaster one was only $24 and change, and the Palmdale one was $175.

Not sure which was done first.

I was assuming Lancaster was done first, as sort of a "test", and then they went bigger at Palmdale.

Interestingly, they didn't do anything more between the 26th and today when I shut down the bank account.
    so accuse me of profiling, but i would strongly suspect the thieves were of color because Lancaster & Palmdale have a very disproportionate number of section 8 residents...surprising in that those two areas are over 60 miles from central Los Angeles
    Lancaster and Palmdale were once promising areas, with new houses and lots of new businesses (mostly chains) surrounding them.

The population quickly exploded in the '80s and '90s.

Unfortunately much of that explosion came from inner city Los Angeles families moving out there to get away from the gang scene, noticing that the housing prices (and rents) were similar for comparable properties to the inner city.

Looked like a great idea until too much of that happened, and Lancaster/Palmdale youth formed their own gangs. The areas became crime-ridden, and now is mostly a mixture of trash from all races.

Crime situation has improved somewhat since the '90s, but that's the case everywhere. But crime is also on its way back up everywhere, so....

That, and the weather kinda sucks by SoCal standards. Very hot in the summer, cool in the winter, and it's seemingly always windy outside.

Also, it's in the middle of nowhere. Newhall/Valencia/Canyon Country is about 30 miles away, and that's the closest thing to it.

Many residents there still work in LA and suffer the brutal commute each morning and afternoon.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Delivered in Lancaster a few times. Straddled by windswept wastelands on three sides.

Load Metric
    druff, you have some bad luck, and larry, so true about target being the end game in a lot of scams

Load Metric
    double post tilt, druff, how often are you checking your various bank accounts? i set the line at every 20 minutes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post
    druff, you have some bad luck, and larry, so true about target being the end game in a lot of scams

it comes in threes. losing World Series, bovada problems, identity theft problems
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Confirmed that the second guy never got his check either (at the time of the first post, I just noticed he hadn't cashed it, and Tellafriend told me he never got it.)

So someone at the post office is the very likely suspect here.

I wonder if the route of the mail passes through Lancaster/Palmdale when traveling to the east coast.

I just want to point out I see these mail dudes all the time leaving their trucks open while they collect from relays. so it's a good chance someone could've walked up and ganked a bin.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    also this: http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s.../post_569.html

mail carrier arrested for stealing thousands in gift cards.

Between Aug. 2013 and Oct. 2014, Friend allegedly stole mail worth at least $2,000 from her routes. The Westfield woman was caught after being captured on video using a stolen gift card at a store, police reports said.

Once a Westfield Police investigation determined that Friend had left work on a Oct. 2014 day with a stolen letter in her vehicle, police stopped her and found "numerous pieces of stolen mail in her vehicle," police reports said, all of which was allegedly stolen from Westfield and Southwick residents.

The value of stolen items in Friend's car totaled $2,175, according to police.

During an interview with police, Friend admitted to stealing mail for more than a year, and said she had only kept cash and gift cards and "threw everything else away," reports said.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Speaking of Target...

The Lancaster one was SUPER uncooperative. They basically told me, "Show us a police report or get the fuck off the phone."

It's actually my right to know where my own money went. A merchant can't say, "Your money was used to buy something in our store, but we won't tell you what was bought or who bought it." If it's my money, and I can prove who I am, then they are required to provide me with all details of the purchase.

But that was the attitude that the Lancaster Target took, even after I offered to prove my identity in ways such as going to a notary or showing my ID in a local Target store to the manager. They still told me to shove it.

The Palmdale one was much better. A nice girl there was very sympathetic, told me what I needed to know (but sadly she had no access to the actual debit card info or what was bought), and told me who to call to find out the rest of the info. I wish I had called her first, but I picked Lancaster first.

Like day and night with the two locations.

The Lancaster people actually hung up on me after refusing to tell me even the name of their own store manager or when he would be in tomorrow, which s also against store policy to do.

After reading this post, my thoughts go to the democratic voters that are employed by places like Target. I found it odd that if someone had attained that much cash, that they would go and spend it in a Target, more oddly still, nowhere else.

That the one Target was helpful and the other gave you grief may be an indication that you have, perhaps, have spoken to the individual that is responsible for your misfortune.

Motive and reaction tell strong stories. People do what they know, and i'm guessing your culprit knows Target. Someone that could get a debit card from a check account # that would most likely be the person working in customer service.

Load Metric

I wonder if the route of the mail passes through Lancaster/Palmdale when traveling to the east coast.
    The post office has its distibution center in Santa Clarita that services mail deliveries in San Fernando Valley and adjacent areas. For example, a letter mailed in Westlake Village going to Thousand Oaks will go to from Westlake Village to Santa Clarita and from there back to Thousand Oaks.

I would think you letters would have gone to Santa Clarita, and from there on to the distribution centers that service area you backers live in.

(Santa Clarita is about 30 miles southwest of Palmdale & Lancaster)
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric

Why not file the police report ? Have the cops get the security cameras ? The police will also give you the name . Then get those tapes via a public records request ?
    Have you tried targets corporate office . I am sure they have a fraud department .

Comments

hongkonger: long time no see

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hardeight View Post

Why not file the police report ? Have the cops get the security cameras ? The police will also give you the name . Then get those tapes via a public records request ?
    Have you tried targets corporate office . I am sure they have a fraud department .

did you see the amounts that were taken? about $200.

the cops won't even give you a call back on such matter.

I think the suggestion of calling the bank, reporting the fraud, and having the bank refund the money is the best solution here.

LoL @ thinking this can be handled with the police. they have other things to do.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post

I think the suggestion of calling the bank, reporting the fraud, and having the bank refund the money is the best solution here.

LoL @ thinking this can be handled with the police. they have other things to do.
    Well A crime was committed . No matter how small, once filed thre police have to at least look into it . They can at A min get the security tapes and name for Druff . I have my identity stolen and the police did it for a 54 dollar theft

Gold
    Load Metric
    Simple Theft of $200ish isn't going to be looked at as hard as Identity Theft, which many prosecutors have a hard-on for. With all the security breaches lately, Target included, I'm very surprised the one store took the hard line. I would bet if you get a hold of management, or the Corporate office here in Minnesota, you'll have a different answer. I do know someone who works at Target Corp if you want me to dig for a direct line on someone here who can help, for the lulz.

Load Metric
    What a pain in the ass. I feel for Druff as this has happened to me. It is a HUGE pain in the ass to close a bank account and reopen one. It isnt like calling your credit card company up and disputing a charge. It takes a good hour, you have to fill out paperwork, and then re setup all auto debit accounts (for example electric, mortgage, etc). On top of all that you need to get a new debit card for the account. After it is all said and done (depending on how many things you have auto pay from the account) you are into it for a solid day. We have so many security features for credit cards these days but very little for checks.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post

Load Metric
    LoL how did I miss the chance to post that.

/thread.

it's over.

done.

Konger ships the win. HOF poast.

George Steinbrenner

Thread Information