Thread: WTF Windows 7 Question

Load Metric

WTF Windows 7 Question

OK so I like Windows 7 and all - the transparent window borders are freaking awesome. But I like having a Quick Launch toolbar. So I add the quick launch back in, which is fairly simple, and everything's fine. But on my latest laptop (work issued) after I add the toolbar, it won't let me add any icons to it. When I try to drag them onto it, I get an error message saying "Windows can't create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the Desktop instead?" WTFFF? How do I overcome this problem?

Load Metric
    The only thing that pops in my head is that your I.T. have created a really gay "Group Policy" where you can't add icons to the quick launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    HI VWLS

I have a windows question as well. When I am multitabling and I moce a table that goes above or through the screen it expands full which is a pain in the ass, Can I shut this off?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    OK so I like Windows 7 and all - the transparent window borders are freaking awesome. But I like having a Quick Launch toolbar. So I add the quick launch back in, which is fairly simple, and everything's fine. But on my latest laptop (work issued) after I add the toolbar, it won't let me add any icons to it. When I try to drag them onto it, I get an error message saying "Windows can't create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the Desktop instead?" WTFFF? How do I overcome this problem?
    You have fucked permissions. Either you as a user or the group your user is in do not have read/write privs for the toolbar. I could fix it for ya in 30 seconds on mac os x, not sure about windows though I do suspect they are very similar.

Load Metric
    Sounds like you have a supervirus. Replace your RAM and Hard Drive.

Load Metric
    I don't think its the same in windows 7 as in previous versions. Right click whatever you want to move there and select "pin to taskbar." Seems like what you're probably looking for.

One quick thing you may want to do on windows 7 is create a new folder (on the desktop works, but probably anywhere is fine) and name it
    GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Makes a super control panel of sorts, and brings all your settings for pretty much everything all into one place. Its where I read about the quicklaunch/pin thing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    I never replaced either.

Ultimately I had downloaded a trojan via a pirated copy of microsoft excel. From there crafty hackers set my mac up to be a little spy station that was taking pictures of me and storing sound clips of what I was doing 24/7 and transmitting both to china and poland.

In the end, I solved the puzzle and it was rather simple- they deleted my install scripts and left me with a modified rc.netboot install script only. Essentially this means my mac would not boot from dvd or usb or anything I could manipulate, it would always boot via a fake net boot disk image which never existed. Essentially reformatting just re-downloaded the malware over and over again. Deleting the net boot install script and replacing the install scripts that had been deleted allowed me to fully reformat and the rest is a memory. Had to reformat my efi partition and flash my firmware but no biggie. It took me months to figure out why I couldn't reformat- simple trick to keep but certainly effective and it confounded me for way too long. I fucking OWN my system now though. I know the ins and outs of mac binary second only to genius reps and even then I am not far behind. The knowledge I gained over time trying to fix my baby I find invaluable.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I don't think its the same in windows 7 as in previous versions. Right click whatever you want to move there and select "pin to taskbar." Seems like what you're probably looking for.

One quick thing you may want to do on windows 7 is create a new folder (on the desktop works, but probably anywhere is fine) and name it

Makes a super control panel of sorts, and brings all your settings for pretty much everything all into one place. Its where I read about the quicklaunch/pin thing.
    Somewhere right now Russ Hamilton just popped a boner.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post

Somewhere right now Russ Hamilton just popped a boner.
    Well, the Godmode name isn't what's important, it's the period and everything after that is, so you could just as well name it XR71Whitefish.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} for extra UB lulz.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    HI VWLS

I have a windows question as well. When I am multitabling and I moce a table that goes above or through the screen it expands full which is a pain in the ass, Can I shut this off?
    Had same problem as well

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-in-windows-7/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    HI VWLS

Had same problem as well

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-in-windows-7/
    ty very much for this , was so annoying when multitabling mtts trying to move a table !

Load Metric
    I don't think its the same in windows 7 as in previous versions. Right click whatever you want to move there and select "pin to taskbar." .
    This has NOthing to do with the taskbar. It's a quick launch.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    I never replaced either.

Ultimately I had downloaded a trojan via a pirated copy of microsoft excel. From there crafty hackers set my mac up to be a little spy station that was taking pictures of me and storing sound clips of what I was doing 24/7 and transmitting both to china and poland.

anti-virus doesn't catch these critters?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Hey Vwls this may help, this was one of the first things I did after going to Windows 7, I don't know why they disabled it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html

Edit; just read your op again and see you already have quicklaunch, my bad.
    Last edited by DropKick; 03-08-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by XteraveX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    I never replaced either.

anti-virus doesn't catch these critters?
    Well had I even used one (Mac's and anti-virus are not synonymous) I still do not think it would have but you never know. It was funny too, I downloaded Excel and then within 2-3 days suddenly my computer had downloaded a slew of other Microsoft office products (like 10 in all) and it was all downhill after that.

Thread Information