Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Stranger Things on Netflix

Load Metric
    250k per episode. Good God.

If they were to ditch all the kids & recast them would anyone really notice? With a handful of shows & at least a year between seasons & most people binge watching, how many people really remember the characters anymore? This show is being watched because it is a decent horror show & not because of the connection the audience has with the cast.

The are no Walter Whites or Jon Snows here.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    250k per episode. Good God.

If they were to ditch all the kids & recast them would anyone really notice? With a handful of shows & at least a year between seasons & most people binge watching, how many people really remember the characters anymore? This show is being watched because it is a decent horror show & not because of the connection the audience has with the cast.

The are no Walter Whites or Jon Snows here.
    honestly it makes sense.

realistically thats about $2m for the season or maybe $1.1m after taxes.

they have personal appearance/interview/marketing commitments in addition to the actual shooting.

they are also white hot properties... right now.. and are turning down other roles to stay available for shooting season 3 before they hit puberty.

but more importantly it compensates them for the success of previous seasons, which they likely didnt even get points from.

so yeah. 250k per ep and im guessing that's locked in for season 4 as well.

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    so overrated.....this is frikken kids show. one step up from goosebumps
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    so overrated.....this is frikken kids show. one step up from goosebumps

as of season 2 i think this is totally fair.

season 1 was fucking fire tho.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    lets tone it down 3 notches fats

Load Metric
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...g-for-season-5

looks like we are in for literally 3 more seasons.

this doth not bode well for the brand.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

I hate to admit it, but I agree

I’d love to have a lifetime worth of stranger things episodes, but I just don’t see how they can continue many more seasons without encountering walking dead level fail

I’d much rather see them end on a high note like the leftovers, than unnecessarily ruining the legacy

Comments

sonatine: leftovers *italian chef fingertip kiss*

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

I hate to admit it, but I agree

I’d love to have a lifetime worth of stranger things episodes, but I just don’t see how they can continue many more seasons without encountering walking dead level fail

I’d much rather see them end on a high note like the leftovers, than unnecessarily ruining the legacy
    I'd forgotten about The Leftovers". I remember they were going to move everything to Australia for season 3. Sounded silly to me. But if you say its a winner, have to give it a shot.

TY

Also, agreed about Stranger Things.

Comments

WillieMcFML: Season 3 was great television
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    walking dead level fail
    nailed it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Watched Season 3.

Don't keep reading if you don't want spoilers.

So I thought it was pretty good, and they were more creative than they were in Season 2, which was too much of a rehash of Season 1.

They did the '80s theme really well this time, especially the products seen at the various supermarkets and convenience stores, as well as the mall.

Not sure why they keep introducing likable characters and killing them off. To piss off the audience? Season 1 was Barb (who at least didn't stay in the series that long), Season 2 was Bob, and Season 3 was Alexei.

They even briefly teased Alexei staying alive by having him inexplicably survive a shot to the chest, only to have him die a few minutes later.

Aside from Dustin, the original group of boys was pretty useless in this season, and weren't given much to do.

Erica, Lucas' 10-year-old sister, had a major role in this season, presumably because they needed a new young kid, as the original young cast is starting to get (and look) old.

The Russian angle was interesting, and was a welcome break from all the battling with the Department of Energy in the first two seasons.

The new Robin character (played by Maya Hawke, daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman) was pretty good... up until they made her a lesbian in episode 7. Seriously... what the fuck? They did such a good job slowly building up the bonding and sexual tension between her and Steve. They even had a scene where, while tied up and presuming they were going to be killed by the Russians, she reveals that she was "obsessed" with him back in high school, and that he never noticed her. Just as Steve finally opens up (while influenced by a Russian truth serum) that he thinks she's the perfect girl for him, she suddenly comes out as a lesbian and tells him that the "obsession" in high school was actually jealousy because a girl she liked was too busy staring at him to notice her.

What kind of contrived, pandering bullshit is this?

Keep in mind that I have no problem with a lesbian character on TV... even one who comes out awhile after first being introduced. The problem with Robin being a lesbian is twofold. First, her character's entire purpose was to be Steve's foil and then the eventual object of his affection. In fact, there wasn't a single scene in which she appeared where Steve wasn't present. So now where do they go with the character? The entire "will-they-or-won't-they" romance angle with Steve is dead, yet her entire existence on the show is tied to Steve, so where does this character even go? They pretty much killed the character with this lesbian move, and now there's not much to do with her. Second, there's no other lesbian character on the show, so it's not even like it can be developed into some romance with another character at this point. They also pretty much cheated the audience out of a reasonable conclusion to the whole Steve/Robin subplot. Lame.

It's very unlikely the Hopper character is dead. Recall a few things. First, we didn't see him die. Second, there was a reference to "The American" in the Russian prison in the final minute of the show. Third, notice no Russians were captured by the US military at the end, despite their strong presence underground in Hawkins. Presumably Hopper hid somewhere when the explosion happened, the Russians caught him, and took him away as they were escaping.

Was kinda sad to see Billy go. That was a good and complex character.

Hello everyone.

Was doing my usual late night lurk and thought I would help out our esteemed owner with some inside information. Remember that my reach into Netflix isn't as big, because it's headquartered in the Bay Area, and my connections are within Hollywood. Still, Netflix does have an LA presence, so I was still able to find out some things.

Stranger Things took a beating from the LGBT crowd in seasons 1 and 2, given all of the anti-gay themes appearing in the dialogue. They didn't actually use the word "faggot" until Season 2 (when Billy's abusive father directed it at him), but for many of the more sensitive within the gay community, the '80s-era homophobia portrayed in the show was a bit too real for them.

At the time, the producers of the show defended their scripts, claiming they were authentically displaying the prejudices against gay people at the time, and that the characters displaying overt homophobia were all villains of some sort.

However, some in the LGBT crowd were still unsatisfied, pointing out that they felt the show portrayed seemingly gay characters without making them gay, such as Season 1's Barb. They also claimed that the show depicted straight characters in homoerotic scenes (such as the Billy/Steve shower scene), while purposely avoiding exploring the gay overtones. To the LGBT crowd, Stranger Things itself was in the closet just as much as many gay people were in the 1980s.

The Robin character was not initially conceived as gay. That is why it appeared for so much of Season 3 that they were building up to the moment Robin and Steve would kiss, only to have that peculiar bathroom floor scene where Robin comes out as a lesbian (with Steve being quite understanding!)

Stranger Things Season 3 took close to two years to produce. The Duffer Brothers, reeling a bit from some criticism of Season 2 being confused, wanted to take their time and carefully develop Season 3's storyline. With that, it appears they mostly succeeded.

However, Robin's lesbian angle was the one exception. It was not planned. It was hastily decided upon once the show was already well into filming, and the coming out scene of episode 7 was quickly written without much thought. Had they decided from the start that Robin would be a lesbian, you would have seen far less flirting between the characters, and Dustin's goading of Steve to ask her out would not have been part of the story. In short, if you feel like the producers didn't know what the hell they were doing with the Robin character's sexuality, you're actually correct.

Now let's get back to the why of the situation. I think you already know where I'm going with that one. Robin's homosexuality was a nod to the LGBT community. It was the producers sticking out an olive branch. They were giving the show not just a gay character, but a cool, smart, attractive, confident one. They also gave her an accepting friend in Steve, who quickly dispatched his disappointment in not being able to date her, and was depicted still being close friends with her in the final scenes of the season's last episode.

Some fans of the show are hoping that Robin will reveal herself to be bisexual, thus allowing her to date Steve while still maintaining her previously stated interest in girls. That will not happen. The LGBT community would go nuts if that occurred, accusing the show of "queer erasure", and all the gains with pleasing the gay community would be lost. Robin will stay a lesbian in the show's fourth and final season.

Speaking of the fourth season, there will be one change. The chain smoking seen in the prior three seasons will be mostly gone. Some concern has been expressed that the smoking by the protagonists will unfortunately be seen as cool by the kids and teens who have watched this series, and might cause an uptick in underage smoking. Smoking has largely fallen out of favor in the current young generation. While adults in small 1980s towns did smoke heavily, thus making the depictions culturally accurate, this is one piece of authenticity that Netflix has asked the producers to cut down, so they will.

That's all for now. I hope I shed some light upon some matters.

Load Metric
    The third season of Stranger Things was okay but not as good as seasons 1 & 2.

I didn't buy the Russian angle. The Russians build a huge laboratory beneath a popular mall in a small town with an army of Russian soldiers protecting it and nobody notices?

I would have liked to see more of this "upside down" world and see new monsters from there.

I bet Netflix will try to continue this show for several more seasons. Maybe even try to spin-off another show. Remember there was at least 11 kids with superpowers. The kids are getting old but Netflix doesn't have enough "hit shows" to promote itself.

Looking forward to season 3 of Ozark.

Load Metric
    It’s great to hear television is simply entertainment and not cultural propaganda.

Load Metric
    im not surprised that they renewed it for season 4 but honestly it wouldnt have been _that_ surprising if they didnt.

the show is Not Good, the buzz is over, the wrote off one of the principles, etc etc.

it seems like everyone has quietly agreed to basically turn it into the equiv of a saturday morning cartoon, albeit an insanely expensive one.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    im not surprised that they renewed it for season 4 but honestly it wouldnt have been _that_ surprising if they didnt.

the show is Not Good, the buzz is over, the wrote off one of the principles, etc etc.

it seems like everyone has quietly agreed to basically turn it into the equiv of a saturday morning cartoon, albeit an insanely expensive one.
    Ratings are great, and it still has a lot of huge fans.

Netflix would piss a lot of people off it this one were canceled just a season before its planned end. It's one of Netflix's best known series of all time, so they have to be careful with it.

Pretty sad how they caved to the various pressures to stop the smoking, lose the homophobic language, and forcefully introduce a gay character where it didn't belong. Why can't a show just be an accurate cultural depiction of a decade without having to worry about all that nonsense?

Load Metric
    Surprised it's still going - like many, thought S1 was great, followed up by a huge drop. Have bailed but may revisit if things sound good, but have heard precisely nothing about S3 save for a glance at Todd's review.

I am in the habit of completely avoiding anything Netflix Original, save for Mindhunter.

Unbelievavble was well done though.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Pretty sad how they caved to the various pressures to stop the smoking, lose the homophobic language, and forcefully introduce a gay character where it didn't belong.
    Gay people are good at forcing things into tight places where they don't belong.

Just wanted to drop in to give everyone a few updates.

First, sometimes a slow production process is a bad thing. This was the case of Stranger Things, as they were interrupted by the coronavirus, and shut down production on March 13.

No date has been established to resume filming. This will delay its release, and perhaps we won't see Season 4 until 2022. My contacts at Netflix have told me that there's "no chance" it gets released in 2020, and in fact early 2021 was the assumed release date prior to the shutdown. The release date will depend upon the length of the filming and production delay.

The Hopper character will return in Season 4. He is "The American" referred to in the Season 3 finale, as most already guessed.

It is likely the show ends at Season 4, but there is a possibility it will go one more year. Prior to the shutdown, Netflix was trying to talk the Duffer Brothers into making a fifth season, but the Duffers said they really only had four in mind, and some of the actors also may not want to return for a fifth one. This still remains up in the air, but the signs currently point to Season 4 being the final one.

Speaking of Netflix execs, turns out Druff was right that there was some teeth gnashing regarding Maya Hawke's Robin character abruptly revealing her lesbian sexuality. The execs did not mind the existence of a gay character. In fact, the expectation was that Will would come out as gay in Season 4, and this was already alluded to somewhat near the end of Season 3. The execs had no problem with Will being developed into a gay character, but some were furious about the Steve/Robin romance being ruined, and the lack of purpose of Robin in the show going forward.

"They finally matched Steve with the perfect partner with perfect chemistry, and threw it out the window", moaned one unnamed Netflix executive, according to rumors. Another felt that Maya Hawke was a great find, given her famous parents and good looks, only to figuratively slam the character against a brick wall with nowhere to go. There is nothing that can be done at this point, however. Maya Hawke will continue portraying the Robin character in season 4, but you can expect that she will be far less interesting.

Hello everyone.

As you can see, I was correct about Stranger Things Season 4 being released in 2022, though that was a rather broad prediction.

I will give you a narrower one regarding Season 5. This will be the final season. My contact at Netflix gave me some information regarding both the content and the projected release date for Season 5. I will put the content in spoiler tags, so I do not ruin it for anyone who wishes to watch.

The projected release date is June 30, 2024. You have awhile to wait. There is also a large possibility that this date will slip, due to production delays for any reason. At the moment, 6/30/24 is what is on the tentative internal Netflix schedule for Stranger Things. This date has not been released anywhere, nor will it be for a long time.

There will be eight episodes, and most of them will be very close to an hour long. This is a departure from Season 4, which featured variable length episodes. The first episode will be entitled, "The Crawl".

Below are some planned content plot points for the fifth and final season. These were spouted off to be randomly, and I was not shown any scripts. I am doing this from memory. The person I speak to at Netflix is not aware that I post here, so I am careful just in case they read it one day. This person does not play poker so I am not too worried.

Vecna is the end boss of Stranger Things. We already met him in Season 4, and learned his backstory. Unlike the first three seasons, where we were introduced to new major villains which were either defeated or beaten back, Vecna finished Season 4 alive in some form, and the Upside Down began invading Hawkins. Season 5 will be the final showdown between Vecna (boss of the Upside Down) and Eleven.

Max died and was brought back to life in the final Season 4 episode. We last saw her comatose. She will eventually wake up, take awhile to be herself again, but will come around to return to normal and love Lucas all over again. She might have a part in the eventual showdown against Vecna.

Nancy and Steve will get back together. Her current romance with Jonathan Byers was meant just to split them apart for awhile, but they will ultimately end up a couple. They were already preparing for this in Season 4, showing Nancy and Jonathan growing apart due to physical distance, and Nancy/Steve having lots of sexual tension. The fan base wants a Nancy/Steve recoupling, and that's what they will get.

Joyce Byers and Jim Hopper will get married. Eleven will be their legal daughter.

The Upside Down will not be destroyed. Once Vecna is defeated, it will be a much more peaceful place, and no longer a threat to the regular dimension. Access to the Upside Down will be permanently sealed off.

After the defeat of Vecna, Will Byers will feel at peace for the first time since taken into the Upside Down in Season 1.

There will not be any new major characters introduced in Season 5. This season will be meant to wrap up the existing arcs of the characters we already know.

It has not been decided yet if Eleven will finish the season with or without her powers, but she will come out of the season alive.

It is likely that none of the major characters from prior seasons will die in this final season, aside from Vecna. It is much more likely that some minor or few-episode characters will be introduced so they can die, but it is not planned to bring on a major character and then kill it off, like last season's Eddie.

On the gay front...

Robin will finally get with that girl she was flirting with from the band, Vickie (played by Amybeth McNulty). This won't be a major plot point, but it will give Robin that happy lesbian romance ending, and it will draw lots of kudos from the woke crowd who criticized earlier Stranger Things seasons for being homophobic.

Will Byers, the character originally conceived to be the gay teen on Stranger Things, will finally fully confess to Mike that he's gay and that he is in love with him. Mike will be uncomfortable yet mostly understanding, and Will will eventually come around to accept that Mike is straight and in love with Eleven, and embrace his own sexuality without shame. This was the plan all along, but Stranger Things took awhile to get there, so certain oversensitive people got impatient, thus the abrupt turn of Robin being gay as well. To me it was pretty obvious from early on that Will was gay, so this shouldn't have been necessary.

We will see how accurate all of this is when June 2024 comes around.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    "gay"nger things is for n-words, faggots and retards I'd rather cut my own dick off and i did

Thread Information