Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip report: BMW survey

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Trip report: BMW survey

Master Scalir called me over the weekend and told me that there was a "focus group" study for BMW owners. It would take 2 hours.

He does this type of shit all the time for extra cash, but I don't bother with it because it's usually not worth my time.

However, this one was worth $250 cash, which was barely enough to push me from the "too much of a pain in the ass" school of thought to the "okay, this is worth doing" decision.

So I called the number and signed up for it. They asked me a few questions, apparently intended to figure out which other luxury brands that BMW owners might also consider. It was not clear which company was paying for this survey.

I ended up with a 7-9pm slot on Wednesday, July 20 (today).

The location of the survey was about 25 miles away, which normally would take about 30 minutes to drive, but traffic in southern CA can change that. Indeed, there was some moderate traffic, and it was going to be close whether I would make it or not, even though I left home at about 6:20.

I parked my car at 6:58pm and sprinted in there. It was located in a mall, and by the time I located the exact place to go, it was 7:02 when I walked in.

The exact time was important, because they stated that latecomers would be turned away and not get paid.

However, Master Scalir told me that sometimes they overbook and just kick you loose after paying you, so I figured maybe this could be an edge, as the later people are probably more likely to be kicked loose.

Anyway I got in there about 7:02 and they took my ID and car registration (to prove that I was a licensed driver & BMW owner).

About 3 minutes later, another woman came out and told me to "sign out".

Another guy there for the survey looked confused, and asked if he had to sign.

The woman said, "No, we can't allow people showing up late to do the survey", and my heart sank. I drove all that way and was about to be turned away with nothing, just because I was 2 minutes late.

I took a deep breath and got ready to argue, preparing to claim that it was only 2 minutes late and the place was difficult to find within the mall.

"... So we are paying him his incentive and sending him home," she finished.

She handed me $250 cash.

Pretty sure that her explanation was BS, and that they were simply overbooked, and this was the way to make it look like they weren't choosing certain people over others to go home.

EASY MARK SFO

Load Metric
    So, the plan was to leave your house at 6:20, sit through an excruciating 2 hours of nonsense and then return home at around 9:40. All for $250. You are a super weird guy.

Comments

OSA: 250 bucks isnr chump change

Load Metric
    I'd like to know Scalir's avg income on his surveys

My guess is he nets ~$5-10 compared to your $250 for a BMW one.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOven View Post
    So, the plan was to leave your house at 6:20, sit through an excruciating 2 hours of nonsense and then return home at around 9:40. All for $250. You are a super weird guy.
    You forgot to subtract what Druff duked Scalir for the lead referral.

Load Metric
    This thread won't end well

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    This thread won't end well
    If it ends now, it will end well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Wouldn't have been an excruciating 2 hours. It wouldn't have been fun, but it likely would have just been answering various questions about my opinions of various luxury cars. It would have been mildly interesting from the standpoint of seeing the features of other similar cars and thinking about how I would compare them to my current car. Not something I'd do for fun, but it's not like they were making me do something really mind-numbing, like data entry or something.

The drive back would have been quick and easy because it would be after 9pm.

I did estimate the whole thing would take a little more than 3 hours, but that averages to over $80 per hour.

If you make $80 per hour at a full time job, that earns you $166k per year. So I wasn't working for peanuts.

I also knew there was some chance I would be kicked loose immediately, as what actually occurred (though I wasn't counting on this).

I will spend 3 hours to make a guaranteed $250 as long as the work is relatively easy, and I'm not expected to do it every day.

Not sure what you think is so weird about that.

Am I supposed to look down on $250 because I play poker pots all night where most are over $250? Because I don't think that way.

$250 is $250.

Comments

wrenchjockey: Reinforcing the stereotype one story at a time

Mintjewlips: the guy has to re coup SOME of his wsop buy ins

JimmyG_415: Exactly, $250 is $250 ...... I'd have done that

BiffCo99: 250 bucks makes it worth your time

Load Metric
    You are the cheapest jew alive. That being said id do it for $250 cash

Comments

Dan Druff: the union man backs me, so i know i made the right decision

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Master Scalir called me over the weekend and told me that there was a "focus group" study for BMW owners. It would take 2 hours.

He does this type of shit all the time for extra cash, but I don't bother with it because it's usually not worth my time.

However, this one was worth $250 cash, which was barely enough to push me from the "too much of a pain in the ass" school of thought to the "okay, this is worth doing" decision.

So I called the number and signed up for it. They asked me a few questions, apparently intended to figure out which other luxury brands that BMW owners might also consider. It was not clear which company was paying for this survey.

The location of the survey was about 25 miles away, which normally would take about 30 minutes to drive, but traffic in southern CA can change that. Indeed, there was some moderate traffic, and it was going to be close whether I would make it or not, even though I left home at about 6:20.

I parked my car at 6:58pm and sprinted in there. It was located in a mall, and by the time I located the exact place to go, it was 7:02 when I walked in.

The exact time was important, because they stated that latecomers would be turned away and not get paid.

However, Master Scalir told me that sometimes they overbook and just kick you loose after paying you, so I figured maybe this could be an edge, as the later people are probably more likely to be kicked loose.

Anyway I got in there about 7:02 and they took my ID and car registration (to prove that I was a licensed driver & BMW owner).

The woman said, "No, we can't allow people showing up late to do the survey", and my heart sank. I drove all that way and was about to be turned away with nothing, just because I was 2 minutes late.

I took a deep breath and got ready to argue, preparing to claim that it was only 2 minutes late and the place was difficult to find within the mall.

She handed me $250 cash.

Pretty sure that her explanation was BS, and that they were simply overbooked, and this was the way to make it look like they weren't choosing certain people over others to go home.

EASY MARK SFO

Is this a national study that can be done in every state or only California? As the proud owner of a BMW and a Lexus if this is nationwide can you send me this information. 4

$250 is $250

Load Metric
    Audi continues its U.S. sales ascent with 63rd consecutive sales record for March

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos View Post

She handed me $250 cash.

EASY MARK SFO

Is this a national study that can be done in every state or only California? As the proud owner of a BMW and a Lexus if this is nationwide can you send me this information. 4

$250 is $250
    I think it was only in Los Angeles and New Jersey.

Load Metric
    KRYPT DRIVE TO NEW JERSEY RIGHT NOW UR DAD WOULD APPRECIATE IT

Comments

Mintjewlips: he probably knows there's a honor killing waiting for him

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Audi continues its U.S. sales ascent with 63rd consecutive sales record for March
    The person on the phone seemed to ask me a lot of questions about Audi, making me believe that they were the frontrunner for the sponsors of the survey.

The $250 I received was actually from the car company putting the survey on. They pay all of the pahticipants, and then pay the survey company a premium on top of that.

I have a friend who used to run a company that did shit like this, and then she came to me last year in a panic because she hadn't been keeping proper financial records (including the names of the pahticipants being paid), and the IRS was sending her threatening letters. I gave her the best advice I could, and I think it actually worked, because she shipped the IRS some money and some hastily prepared records (some kinda fudged and estimated), and they seemed to have accepted it last I heard.

Load Metric
    How is that any different from the average session of poker?

Load Metric
    Druff, we already know what you are

and now we know your price too
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The story was sounding like it was going to be the one time.
    Name:  36a1f0850e4d1acbd3f59b5477b6158c.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  13.5 KB

Load Metric

Wink

I was browsing my favourite football/soccer team's website and a pop up asked if I would like to do a survey and earn £50 to spend in the store.

I said yes, and this woman rang me and asked me what I thought about the website. I was actually the perfect person to do this because I knew everything about it, such as leaving things in your shopping cart so hours later it sends you a discount incentive to buy the goods.

Anyway, 30 mins later I was able to get myself the new seasons shirt for free =D

These things are worth doing if you are happy with the incentive they offer, but getting paid for overbooking is just ridiculously good value!
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    One time I did a quick little 10 minute survey online for a local college, and then received $5 cash in envelope via USPS. Not even a 5-dollar bill either....5 crisp one-dollar bills.

Load Metric
    Wouldn't have been an excruciating 2 hours. It wouldn't have been fun, but it likely would have just been answering various questions about my opinions of various luxury cars. It would have been mildly interesting from the standpoint of seeing the features of other similar cars and thinking about how I would compare them to my current car. Not something I'd do for fun, but it's not like they were making me do something really mind-numbing, like data entry or something.

The drive back would have been quick and easy because it would be after 9pm.

I did estimate the whole thing would take a little more than 3 hours, but that averages to over $80 per hour.

If you make $80 per hour at a full time job, that earns you $166k per year. So I wasn't working for peanuts.

I also knew there was some chance I would be kicked loose immediately, as what actually occurred (though I wasn't counting on this).

I will spend 3 hours to make a guaranteed $250 as long as the work is relatively easy, and I'm not expected to do it every day.

Not sure what you think is so weird about that.

Am I supposed to look down on $250 because I play poker pots all night where most are over $250? Because I don't think that way.

$250 is $250.

I know you don't have a regular job, so I guess it's different for you. I value my free time, especially my evenings. There are enough obligations in life that ruin a free evening, I just wouldn't waste one like that for a couple of bucks. It's got nothing to do with the per hour rate.

Comments

Krypt:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    How is that any different from the average session of poker?

How is it different from someone paying you to kick you in your balls? I'm assuming different activities have different levels of enjoyment to the guy.

Thread Information