Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So, FlyPaper and Mumbles, what's going on here?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    The clash in attitudes between the old school guys demanding a mod and Druff was good reading and in my mind is still unresolved. Druff being who he is almost can't do the job with the old world values and style.

What offended me the most was the dismissive way Druff treated the made guys' opinion - these are the guys that make this thing worthwhile.
    I don't really want to get into a long debate about this again, but I do respect the opinions and contributions of the old school members.

However, we've already had various iterations of the inmates running the asylum over the past 7 1/2 years, and it's never worked out. Those sites are either gone or dead. There's a reason why PFA has been the current home to this NWP-spawned community since early 2012, and that's because I have a good idea of what should and shouldn't be done as an admin of these forums. In fact, some of it I learned myself through trial-and-error since being appointed a mod on NWP ten or so years ago.

PFA almost never came to exist. I retired from this community in September 2011 after the surprising betrayal by certain people on Donkdown. After a few months passed, I still had no desire to start a new forum, nor was I particularly missing it that much. Whenever I wanted to share my opinion about something, I wrote a blog on dandruffpoker.com and tweeted it out.

However, I started getting e-mails from people appealing for me to start my own site. They didn't like the Donkdown forum anymore. They didn't like the Donkdown radio show anymore. Some even wrote really nice things about how much they missed my presence in the community. Eventually I decided that I'd give it a whirl, but also be prepared for it to be a failsite. If the site didn't catch on within a few months, I was going to shut it down, and not let pride get in the way. It never came to that. The site quickly became the replacement for DD (without my even trying), and soon DD was a ghost town.

When I started the site, however, I made various promises to myself. First and foremost, I swore that I would be 100% in charge of everything, with no mods or co-owners, thus preventing a repeat of the nasty betrayal I dealt with on DD. Second, I was going to trust my instinct, do what I felt was right for the site, and not let anyone (or any group of people) browbeat me into doing things their way. I would be willing to take suggestions, and I would moderate with a mostly hands-off style, but I would not let the site run me -- I would be the one running it.

Those were my thoughts in 2012, and they are still my thoughts in 2016. I ask for very little around here. I don't try to monetize the site. I let people bash, troll, and criticize me. With only a few common-sense exceptions, I don't censor content. I have let bygones be bygones with some people from the past and let them create accounts here -- something I initially said I wouldn't do. The one thing I ask in return from the userbase is a general respect for the way I run this site, and the acknowledgement that I'm going to be running it my way.

You are a big free market guy, Sanlmar. The free market has spoken with PFA. This is the site where the community resides, even though there were (and still are) several other choices. That means I'm mostly doing things right, even if there are some decisions that certain people don't agree with. If at some point there is a mass exodus from here, that's also fine. If it becomes a ghost town, then I will just close the forum down. I hope that this doesn't happen, and it continues for a long time, as it has.

Regarding Mumbles, he set out to "prove" a bias against his Mumbles screen name by creating a second account, and noticing that people weren't trolling it like they were his Mumbles account. But he didn't really prove a bias. What he actually proved was the fact that he can post normally and fit within the community if he chooses to, but for some reason he chooses not to. That's what I don't understand.

I think that the entire site will agree that FlyPaper was a much better poster than Mumbles, even in hindsight knowing that they were both the same guy.

Mumbles should take a lesson from that, and become more like his alter ego.

Comments

Sanlmar: Sometimes I gotta hear it twice. I let it drop & respect this. We will always have the Dodgers can to kick down the street.

sah_24: Druff but fair , but Mumblefuck needs to go . . .

varys: So mumbles isnt banned? Tldr

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The clash in attitudes between the old school guys demanding a mod and Druff was good reading and in my mind is still unresolved. Druff being who he is almost can't do the job with the old world values and style.

What offended me the most was the dismissive way Druff treated the made guys' opinion - these are the guys that make this thing worthwhile.
    I don't really want to get into a long debate about this again, but I do respect the opinions and contributions of the old school members.

However, we've already had various iterations of the inmates running the asylum over the past 7 1/2 years, and it's never worked out. Those sites are either gone or dead. There's a reason why PFA has been the current home to this NWP-spawned community since early 2012, and that's because I have a good idea of what should and shouldn't be done as an admin of these forums. In fact, some of it I learned myself through trial-and-error since being appointed a mod on NWP ten or so years ago.

PFA almost never came to exist. I retired from this community in September 2011 after the surprising betrayal by certain people on Donkdown. After a few months passed, I still had no desire to start a new forum, nor was I particularly missing it that much. Whenever I wanted to share my opinion about something, I wrote a blog on dandruffpoker.com and tweeted it out.

However, I started getting e-mails from people appealing for me to start my own site. They didn't like the Donkdown forum anymore. They didn't like the Donkdown radio show anymore. Some even wrote really nice things about how much they missed my presence in the community. Eventually I decided that I'd give it a whirl, but also be prepared for it to be a failsite. If the site didn't catch on within a few months, I was going to shut it down, and not let pride get in the way. It never came to that. The site quickly became the replacement for DD (without my even trying), and soon DD was a ghost town.

When I started the site, however, I made various promises to myself. First and foremost, I swore that I would be 100% in charge of everything, with no mods or co-owners, thus preventing a repeat of the nasty betrayal I dealt with on DD. Second, I was going to trust my instinct, do what I felt was right for the site, and not let anyone (or any group of people) browbeat me into doing things their way. I would be willing to take suggestions, and I would moderate with a mostly hands-off style, but I would not let the site run me -- I would be the one running it.

Those were my thoughts in 2012, and they are still my thoughts in 2016. I ask for very little around here. I don't try to monetize the site. I let people bash, troll, and criticize me. With only a few common-sense exceptions, I don't censor content. I have let bygones be bygones with some people from the past and let them create accounts here -- something I initially said I wouldn't do. The one thing I ask in return from the userbase is a general respect for the way I run this site, and the acknowledgement that I'm going to be running it my way.

You are a big free market guy, Sanlmar. The free market has spoken with PFA. This is the site where the community resides, even though there were (and still are) several other choices. That means I'm mostly doing things right, even if there are some decisions that certain people don't agree with. If at some point there is a mass exodus from here, that's also fine. If it becomes a ghost town, then I will just close the forum down. I hope that this doesn't happen, and it continues for a long time, as it has.

Regarding Mumbles, he set out to "prove" a bias against his Mumbles screen name by creating a second account, and noticing that people weren't trolling it like they were his Mumbles account. But he didn't really prove a bias. What he actually proved was the fact that he can post normally and fit within the community if he chooses to, but for some reason he chooses not to. That's what I don't understand.

I think that the entire site will agree that FlyPaper was a much better poster than Mumbles, even in hindsight knowing that they were both the same guy.

I don't think the people of PFA want a power-wielding set of mods that cause even more discontent and fracturing of the various groups on here.

Me personally I want a mod so I don't have to see absolutely disgusting pictures without spoilers or someone to reign in someone who went bananas (some sort of temporary ban or at least moving threads).

I've offered to do it before even as a silent ninja mod who helps keep an eye on things.

Load Metric
    I agree that my experiment was a failure. Bad controls.

As for becoming more like my alter ego. Some is def possible. Like posting in dumb/random studd thread. But I won't forego posting on politics, finance and business topics, poker, etc. Because this *is* a forum that allows free speech, and I believe that not EVERYone here is a racist or political troglydite.

But I also *have* cut back on posting corrective comments that I would previously have auto-posted. (Case in point... Sonatine: Hillary likely isn't the most conservative Democrat nominated to run for the presidency. JFK was much more hawkish that Hillary, and Grover Cleveland would have put GOPer Herbert Hoover to shame for being so economically liberal.)

But at LOT of posts that likely set folks off are ones where I don't take lying down the haters gratuitiously crapping on me. When they leave me be, I won't unload a shotload broadside on them.

Enough said. Gotta run to a shipper.

Peace out!

And RIP, FlyMan!
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Are you going to wait until the site splinters off into another forum to decide letting shitbirds like Mumbles run wild was a bad plan?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    The fact that he was able to act normal and participate here without everyone hating him speaks volumes.

He purposesly comes on here to be abused. He's capable of being normal and contributing like everyone else, yet he choose not to. He stands behind the "it's a free speech site so I can say whatever", but why should that allow him to spew walls and walls of shit everywhere?

Even Larry was able to tone it down and even took a break when it was pointed out to him.... think about that, mighty mouse, who is unstable (sorry buddy) was able to realize what he was doing and wanting to be part of the community decided to take it easy. This mumbles fuck knows what he is doing and instead of trying to chillout and fit in with us, he goes to the corner and beats off to his google inspired post. Fuck this guy.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Bullshit about me coming on here to be abused. I just won't be bullied away, nor ignore the obsessive red repping from dickheads like you.
    "I GOT NO TOE"

#FreeFluffler #FreeThisGuyIsCreepy #lockupGarrett

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Mumbles obv loves the attention hes getting around here, probably has the same number of friends as Marty in the real world.
    If everyone were to ignore him he would be on suicide watch in no time

Comments

MumblesBadly: If my haters put me on ignore AND didn't gratuitously red rep me, I'd be cool with that.

Load Metric
    Druff, can you just ban Mumbles and let Flypaper stay?

We could consider it a fresh start in some ways.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

I agree that my experiment was a failure. Bad controls.
    it was a failure because of bad controls? it was a failure because it could only BE a failure.

Not bad controls, bad EVERYTHING. Bad experiment by a bad poster.

Load Metric
    But at LOT of posts that likely set folks off are ones where I don't take lying down the haters gratuitiously crapping on me.
    I can't speak for everyone but I especially don't like it when you make posts trying to be humourous. Sorry but 100% of the time you try to make a funny, it falls flat on its fucking face. It's like an 8-year-old coming up with painfully obvious jokes. I imagine right now you have an impulse to reply with a post about how I spelled "humourous" with a "u" and that I'm like, such a hoser "eh". That's the kind of jokes you make. They're not good.

Comedy isn't your thing mumbles. So please stop trying. That'll eliminate a bunch of shit-posts/neg reps.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Brits spell it as "humour". It's the Americans that dropped the second 'u', thanks to uber-patriot Noah Webster.

Load Metric
    I'm pretty sure a lot of posters knew FlyPaper was a dupe but weren't exactly sure who. I thought it was TheLurker all this time.

Comments

MumblesBadly: The_Lurker *was* mostly missing during FlyMan's all-too-short life.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    But at LOT of posts that likely set folks off are ones where I don't take lying down the haters gratuitiously crapping on me.
    I can't speak for everyone but I especially don't like it when you make posts trying to be humourous. Sorry but 100% of the time you try to make a funny, it falls flat on its fucking face. It's like an 8-year-old coming up with painfully obvious jokes. I imagine right now you have an impulse to reply with a post about how I spelled "humourous" with a "u" and that I'm like, such a hoser "eh". That's the kind of jokes you make. They're not good.

Comedy isn't your thing mumbles. So please stop trying. That'll eliminate a bunch of shit-posts/neg reps.
    Name:  tumblr_m2n72dxsLu1qbolbn.gif
Views: 355
Size:  137.0 KB

Load Metric
    The Shrink should follow mumbles around and explain why his post is shitty for a month or so.

Comments

Tellafriend:

SchoenfeldsJawMuscles:

Load Metric
    This is hilarious and sad on so many levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    varys: Shitposter shouldnt have been a thing until mumbles made an account
    "Vanguard of the new generation of shitposters"
    -Sonatine

I gotta find this quote. One of my favorites. Brings me so much joy.

Gold
    Load Metric
    varys: Shitposter shouldnt have been a thing until mumbles made an account
    "Vanguard of the new generation of shitposters"
    -Sonatine

I gotta find this quote. One of my favorites. Brings me so much joy.

http://www.pokerfraudalert.com/forum...l=1#post526024

Comments

Sanlmar: Poetry. Maybe someone else sees it too.

Load Metric
    Flypaper (also known as a fly ribbon) is a fly-killing device made of paper coated with a sweetly fragrant, but extremely sticky and sometimes poisonous substance that traps flies and other flying insects when they land upon it

Load Metric
    cracks me up that im threatened with a ban for posting 3 other random facts like the one above yet mumbles can average a solid 200 shitposts per month like it aint no thing

Load Metric
    lol toddger

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    Flypaper (also known as a fly ribbon) is a fly-killing device made of paper coated with a sweetly fragrant, but extremely sticky and sometimes poisonous substance that traps flies and other flying insects when they land upon it
    True, but not the reason I picked that as the dupe's user name. I'll leave it mystery to solve given how good folks here are at supposedly sniffing out things.

Comments

wrenchjockey: literally zero people care enough to play this idiot's reindeer games
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Mental retardation, also known as intellectual disability, a disorder characterized by significantly impaired cognitive functioning and deficits in adaptive behaviors

Comments

lol wow: Rofl

Thread Information