Thread: saw a bear in my front yard today.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

saw a bear in my front yard today.

i live in a northern part of sw connecticut. . my town is pretty rural and spread out over many miles. we have strict zoning and many designated scenic roads

i'm always a little worried doing yard work or having my back turned for too long in a heavily wooded section of my propertry, thinking i'm going to run into something..i wasn't outside when this black bear came rolling though, but i watched from the window.

i snapped a pic too late, as the bear was far away and it looks like a bigfoot photo

here is a video of one a few years ago on a neighboring road from me. this sighting not that far from the elementary schools, which they lock down when they get a report of it.

Comments

JimmyG_415: Nice House

MumblesBadly: That locale is close enough to Norwalk to rcommute by train into the City after a short drive on mostly bad roads. My aunt's place skyrocketed in value after her next-door neighbor with a farm subdivided it into nice sized home lot parcels.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    i live in a northern part of sw connecticut. . my town is pretty rural and spread out over many miles. we have strict zoning and many designated scenic roads

i'm always a little worried doing yard work or having my back turned for too long in a heavily wooded section of my propertry, thinking i'm going to run into something..i wasn't outside when this black bear came rolling though, but i watched from the window.

i snapped a pic too late, as the bear was far away and it looks like a bigfoot photo

here is a video of one a few years ago on a neighboring road from me. this sighting not that far from the elementary schools, which they lock down when they get a report of it.

For Pete's sake! A pint-sized aunt of mine lives near Putnam State Park, has seen countless bears roaming through her back yard over the 60+ years she's lived there, and was never afraid of them surprising her. But her secret was to always have a dog as a pet out and about her with.

If one came around when she was outside doing stuff (gardening, landscaping, etc,), her dog would usually alert her, and then she would make a bunch of noise, and the bears scooted away despite the deliciousness in the various garbage cans that people in the area didn't keep secured.

(I'm laughing a bit remembering her retell how she would sometimes yell stuff to bears that came onto her yard, "Shoo! Shoo! Go back to your home! Shoo! You don't belong here!" And the noise and sight of her flailing a hat or scarf would spook the bear away. All 5' 2" or so of her!)

P.S. She was actually more concerned if she saw a racoon during the day there. Because it was a good chance that it had rabies given that they normally aren't out during daylight.

P.P.S. A hiker's trick to prevent startling a black bear, which is usually quite timid, is to wear a small cow bell or some other small innocuous walking motion noise maker, on a belt loop/backpack/napsack. That way a black bear nearby will almost surely hear you approaching and move away before you even see it.

Comments

handicapme: A mumbles fuck post.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 07-15-2016 at 05:51 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    I was within 1 foot of an angry bear a couple of times.

True story.
    http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...-My-Shorts-Now
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    I was within 1 foot of an angry bear a couple of times.

True story.
    http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...-My-Shorts-Now
    From that thread:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 272
Size:  80.5 KB

A submission:

Views: 249
Size:  92.1 KB

Comments

wrenchjockey: you don't have to have a post in every thread.

Muck Ficon: :noose
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    He just wants to play imo.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    from what i read black bear attacks are rare. and where i live we get around 50 sightings a year. but this was my first one in over 10 years living here. it's a pretty shocking sight. and if i didn;t look out the window at this certain time i would have missed it
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    from what i read black bear attacks are rare. and where i live we get around 50 sightings a year. but this was my first one in over 10 years living here. it's a pretty shocking sight. and if i didn;t look out the window at this certain time i would have missed it

I guess that would be so. And in all honesty, black bears can be dangerous if they've grown accustomed to humans and learn that where are is a good source of food.

Case in point: My family went camping in New Hampshire regularly during the summer, and one year while we we at a campground, a black bear broke into someone's car where the owners had stored food overnight (which they were warned by the campground staff to NOT do). The bear was able to tear open a door and shredded a lot of the interior in the process.

The next night or so, a bear came around to the vehicle two of my brothers were sleeping in (a station wagon), but didn't bother them other than to scare the crap out of them after they woke up when the bear bumped the car a bit. Thankfully for them, we had followed the advice of campground staff and stored our food in stow bags in ropes slung over tree branches high enough to be out of reach.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Drive your truck off a bridge. Thanks.

Load Metric
    I saw a beaver in my room last night

BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    i live in a northern part of sw connecticut.
    is that anywhere near the southern part of west central connecticutt?
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Rarity implies someone still gets it and it couldn't be much fun. *Blacks, are tree climbers, as you southerners probably know, *and stories of people who have escaped initially by climbing a tree, also had a great view of their companion being pulled down and mauled from another tree, knowing they were next.

And they're crazy fast.......Saw one run on the golf course. * Bogeyed the hole.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    i live in a northern part of sw connecticut.
    is that anywhere near the southern part of west central connecticutt?
    I'm guessing he'll say "Close, but thankfully still a few miles away." 'Cause that would put you smack dab in the armpit of the state (Bridgeport).

Views: 259
Size:  112.8 KB

Comments

Muck Ficon: Shut it down

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Rarity implies someone still gets it and it couldn't be much fun. *Blacks, are tree climbers, as you southerners probably know, *and stories of people who have escaped initially by climbing a tree, also had a great view of their companion being pulled down and mauled from another tree, knowing they were next.

And they're crazy fast.......Saw one run on the golf course. * Bogeyed the hole.
    Best defense against *black bears: Be like Carl! First, stand up and make noise. And if that doesn't work, fight it!

In all seriousness, that is true: http://abcnews.go.com/US/survive-bea...ry?id=23317682

Comments

Muck Ficon: Do you ever shut the fuck up? Give it a rest.

Thread Information