Thread: Jon Aguiar versus WSOP PR Director Seth Palansky turns into huge mess (including insulting tweet from @WSOP account!)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Jon Aguiar versus WSOP PR Director Seth Palansky turns into huge mess (including insulting tweet from @WSOP account!)

Pretty interesting story to come out of the WSOP, and it only has a little to do with poker.

I like Jon Aguilar. Don't really know him well, but I respect what he does. He kind of reminds me of a younger version of myself. He is very outspoken and isn't afraid to call out people or organizations in poker that deserve it.

Some of you might remember Aguiar as the guy who got threatened via Twitter by Joe Sebok, who implied that "skeletons" about Aguilar and his girlfriend might be revealed if he kept publicly bashing UB.

More recently, and more relevant to this story, Aguiar made a post on 2+2 criticizing the undocumented "Staff Appreciation Fees" being taken out of WSOP Circuit prize pools. Aguiar's posted this in February 2012, and the thread can be found here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29...wsopc-1162780/

My analysis on that situation can be found here:

http://dandruffpoker.com/wsopc.html

Anyway, apparently that whole mess led to some bad blood between Aguiar WSOP Public Relations Director Seth Palansky. It was Palansky who ultimately responded to Aguiar's accusation in February, and he promised to make changes. At the time, Palansky responded in a professional manner and it didn't appear that he had animosity toward Aguiar. Perhaps the two of them had other exchanges that I don't know about, but apparently Palansky really hates the guy.

Back to the present.

Aguiar made the final table of Event #5, $1500 Pot Limit Hold 'Em.

Daniel Negreanu was also at that final table, as was recent WPT Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown champion Tommy Vedes.

The final 5 at the table included Negreanu, Aguiar, Vedes, and two mostly-unknown online players.

Recall that the WSOP instituted a new "rule" this year regarding verbalizing actions at the final table. Basically, players can't just put chips out -- they have to announce "check, bet, or raise" and say how much they are betting. At first it was claimed that players would only be encouraged, not required, to do this. However, apparently that's not actually the case.

The official rule reads as follows:

Participants at all bracelet event final and feature tables are required to verbalize each action in the form of "Check", "Bet" or specific amount, "Call", "Raise", or "All-In". Violators will receive a penalty in accordance with Rules 39, 102, and 103.
    The above is the now-infamous "Rule 88" of the official WSOP Rules for 2012.

Apparently this rule was NOT enforced while Negreanu and Vedes (the two biggest names) were still in the tournament. However, when the two of them busted in 5th and 4th respectively, suddenly things changed. This was the report given by 2nd place finisher Bryan Pellegrino:

I didn't know the verbal declarations rule before I was at the final table. It wasn't enforced at all while Negreanu and Vedes were still at the table, but 3 handed they started to enforce it very strictly. They were really obnoxious about it and told us to verbalize EVERY action - even checks and folds.

We asked if we could just verbalize our bets but they said 'no' and said they would start issuing penalties. The dealer verbalized loudly every time we did something, then the floorman would announce it with the microphone, AND they had commentators announcing - forcing us to do that was just ridiculous.
    So already we have a case of alleged favortism here, which isn't surprising, given the way I've seen other "name" pros get away with things that the rest of us can't.

Anyway, Aguiar (who finished 3rd, and was subjected to the obnoxious declaration rules) fired off several tweets criticizing the situation.

Some Twitter troll named @SHAWNIVEY_OBV took issue with Aguiar's frequent complaints about things, and tweeted the following:

Tweet from: @SHAWNIVEY_OBV
    @JonAguiar @wsop @wsoptd why are you the only one who cries all day every day about everything Adapt and stop sounding like a complete bitch
    Notice that the tweet was also copied to @WSOP (the official WSOP Twitter account) and @WSOPTD (WSOP tournament director Jack Effel.)

Shockingly, @WSOP retweeted this derogatory message to all of the WSOP's 72,000+ followers!

Name:  aguiar-wsop.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  60.8 KB

This stayed up for more than 24 hours.

Aguiar was livid:

Name:  aguilar-response.png
Views: 1504
Size:  75.9 KB

Of course, for some time, it wasn't clear who was responsible for that offensive retweet, since it came from the offical WSOP Twitter account, which is manned by several people.

Finally, Seth Palansky took reponsibility, and oddly claimed that he "meant to favorite it instead of retweet it". Say what?

Here is Palansky's interview with Quadjacks about it. I suggest fast-forwarding to 8:00 where he talks about it:

Of course, being a Snake in the Grass production, the audio fails badly about 2 1/2 minutes into Seth's explanation.

Jack Effel, the tournament director, also made an apparently sarcastic tweet to Aguiar about the matter:

Tweet From: @WSOPTD
    @JonAguiar appreciate your support in helping grow the great game of poker!
    The Effel tweet was actually BEFORE the Palansky @WSOP tweet!

Pretty crazy, huh?

PokerFraudAlert actually auto-captured the aforementioned tweets, as the system automatically posts all tweets from @WSOP and @WSOPTD.

The apparently sarcastic Effel tweet:
    http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...uiar#post27036

The infamous retweet:
    http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...uiar#post27075

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, it is worth noting that PFA's very own ShizzMoney was BLOCKED from the @WSOP account for tweeting about this situation.

Banned
    Load Metric
    that video you posted from quadjacks is all fucked up, the audio just goes on cd skip tilt just a few minutes in.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah that part when the audio stutters all the fuck out makes Wayne Brady want to choke a bitch.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    that video you posted from quadjacks is all fucked up, the audio just goes on cd skip tilt just a few minutes in.
    Yup, actually I mentioned that right below the video.

But what can I do? It's a Quadjerks production, so this is not particularly surprising.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

But what can I do? It's a Quadjerks production, so this is not particularly surprising.

The fact that they posted it and left it up is pretty lol but honestly I was just reading your post and when I got to the video I clicked play and noticed the audio problems and figured I would mention the problem. I didn't see that you noted the issue in the OP.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The fact that they posted it and left it up is pretty lol but honestly I was just reading your post and when I got to the video I clicked play and noticed the audio problems and figured I would mention the problem. I didn't see that you noted the issue in the OP.
    Yeah no problem, it was easy to miss my note in that long post of mine.

And yeah it's embarrassing that they don't even watch the videos they post to make sure they're okay.

Load Metric

Yeah no problem, it was easy to miss my note in that long post of mine.

And yeah it's embarrassing that they don't even watch the videos they post to make sure they're okay.

@WSOP and @WSOPTD need adult supervision
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, it is worth noting that PFA's very own ShizzMoney was BLOCKED from the @WSOP account for tweeting about this situation.
    Two asides:

A) Seth Palansky has stepped down from using the @wsop account:

@WSOPRGUY: Going forward the @WSOP account will be managed by @WhoJedi and @jesswelman.
    B) I tweeted WhoJedi (who I've met at Foxwoods before) and Jess to unblock me, no answer. In a sense, it kind of pwns. I hope I'm the first guy to win a WSOP bracelet who won't be able to retweet the official results!

I really don't know know why I was banned, minus the fact that Seth seems like a tilting tool who can't handle critiques. I never even said anything bad or offensive (minus a tweet that I said the reason players shouldn't have to announce bets at FTs is b/c that is why we pay dealers/TDs rake for); I just retweeted stuff that Jon said!

Load Metric
    I watched the QJ interviews with Seth and Jack. I wouldn't trust either of them to park my car. Why can't they hire someone like Matt Savage to run the big show.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Cardplayer's Zimba wrote a great PR 101 article not just for the WSOP, but for any business:

http://t.co/nHxzmD43

BTW, Savage used to be TD at the old venue, Binion's. When Harrah's bought the WSOP, they went in another direction, probably for pay/control. It's not that Matt minds, he takes this time off to spend with his lovely wife and kids.

Load Metric
    Did a fairly detailed start to finish on this story today (first started following it this weekend when it was occuring) and managed to get a little plug in for your radio tonight at the end of the article, so do a good job of covering the topic There isn't too much not covered by Druff above in the article other than some links to the interview where he quoted Bryan Pelligrino (Druff quoted a Lock Poker Pro!!!) and a few other tweets and quotes from people involved.

http://pokernewsboy.com/wsop-news/jo...ng-tweet/12385
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    WhoJedi, proving once again his awesomeness, unblocked me from the @wsop twitter account last night.

Least the wsop got that right.

Load Metric
    "Quadjerks" lol. Marco has to be the worst interviewer on the poker circuit. I wanted to choke him more than Boyd during that fail a few days ago.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    hey

i done watched that lived streamed from vegas and sawed the thing from 6 handered on down to winnered and i done thinked that negreanu and vedes were treated better thens the others at the table - wsop done trying to ruin poker liked lederer and duke and hellmuth and hamilton and all the other profit bastards that maul the game we calls poker - shame on you fuckbags - aguiar done be cheated by wsop directors to me -

slim t

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    WhoJedi, proving once again his awesomeness, unblocked me from the @wsop twitter account last night.

Least the wsop got that right.
    One of the best people in poker imo
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    QJ interviews Ty Stewart

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    QJ interviews Ty Stewart

Swear to god if that faggot was interviewing me I would just get up an walk away

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Once Marco ended the interview, Ty certainly high tailed it out of there!

Thread Information