Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 minutes for 4 tacos= ten minutes a taco

Load Metric

40 minutes for 4 tacos= ten minutes a taco

had a bit of a weird situation yesterday. Went to my local taco bar (not a taco joint run by Mexicans serving awesome tacos but a bar that serves tacos that are gourmet type Rick Bayless shit) and it was a little busy after the softball games in the park around the block ended.

me and my GF walked in, sat down, and ordered 4 steak tacos. about 30 minutes later, the waitress comes over and tells us she's sorry for the wait the kitchen is backed up. But the joint was maybe half full, and people were mostly drinking.

so after 40 minutes, out comes 4 tacos.

they were good.

then it came time to leave a tip. I thought and tried to be a stingy jew and act like my grandma and not leave a tip but I just couldn't.

so I left a 25% tip (4 on a 16 dollar check) and afterwords my girlfriend came to the conclusion that most likely he waitress forgot to put in the order, then realized and did it.

so now I'm pissed: bc A, the waitress probably fucked up and blamed it on the cook just to save face and get a tip.

and B, she didn't offer us any sort of comp like a round of shots or a beer or even some chips and guacamole (which they charge for and I think that's redic bc it's a taco place)

but then my GF pointed out that by leaving the tip, I in fact shamed the waitress who probably thought I was gonna leave nothing.

but in the end, I feel scammed bc she probably blamed it on the cook.

fuck. I'm mad now. I've been duped.

am I just being a cheap jew? probably.

Comments

Mintjewlips: you're just being a creepy fuck
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    had a bit of a weird situation yesterday. Went to my local taco bar (not a taco joint run by Mexicans serving awesome tacos but a bar that serves tacos that are gourmet type Rick Bayless shit) and it was a little busy after the softball games in the park around the block ended.

me and my GF walked in, sat down, and ordered 4 steak tacos. about 30 minutes later, the waitress comes over and tells us she's sorry for the wait the kitchen is backed up. But the joint was maybe half full, and people were mostly drinking.

they were good.

then it came time to leave a tip. I thought and tried to be a stingy jew and act like my grandma and not leave a tip but I just couldn't.

so I left a 25% tip (4 on a 16 dollar check) and afterwords my girlfriend came to the conclusion that most likely he waitress forgot to put in the order, then realized and did it.

so now I'm pissed: bc A, the waitress probably fucked up and blamed it on the cook just to save face and get a tip.

and B, she didn't offer us any sort of comp like a round of shots or a beer or even some chips and guacamole (which they charge for and I think that's redic bc it's a taco place)

but then my GF pointed out that by leaving the tip, I in fact shamed the waitress who probably thought I was gonna leave nothing.

big star? leave a tip.
    taco joint? blah

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post

they were good.

big star? leave a tip.
    taco joint? blah

oh shit! Chicago rep! no not Big Star, they know what they're doing. I was at BullHead Cantina in Humbolt.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    funny how I said Rick Bayless and tacos and you immediately thought Big Star.

big star is good, but not worth the wait as all the yuppies from all over have invaded wicker park, drove up the rent, and now there's w fucking gourmet taco place on every corner. next to the coffee place that roasts their own beans.

it's getting worse and worse. that intersection used to be skid row.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    basically, since Rodan closed (due to sky rocketing rent ) and the Taco Bell cantina opening, wicked park has become WrigleyVille south.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    back on topic:

am I being a cheap jew by even complaining about this? I almost want to pull a Druff and call up and get something free.

George Steinbrenner

Platinum
    Load Metric
    That's actually 40 minutes a taco.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    basically, since Rodan closed (due to sky rocketing rent ) and the Taco Bell cantina opening, wicked park has become WrigleyVille south.
    I am sad that I never had a chance to go to Rodan, but I don't think I'll be going to Humboldt anytime soon, Logan Square is about as far as this guy will go.

Load Metric
    back on topic:

am I being a cheap jew by even complaining about this? I almost want to pull a Druff and call up and get something free.
    considering you have no real idea what happened and the total we're talking about is $4, yeah, pretty silly to even give this a second thought. Kitchen could be short-handed, maybe they fucked it up the first time, food could have been dropped, maybe another waitress took it for another table, maybe there was a huge takeout/catering order that was in progress, all sorts of shit could have gone wrong, including the waitress not putting in the order right away. If you didn't complain at the time, what are you really gonna say now? You gonna ask for your $4 back?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Tried to go to Bullhead last weekend...never been. Uber over with wife...get dropped off and realize we are in the middle of the Puerto Rican Parcade or something like that. All restaurants closed...back to hood to Bucks. Was good but want to try those tacos. You been to Haywood yet? Solid burger.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppaDump View Post
    Tried to go to Bullhead last weekend...never been. Uber over with wife...get dropped off and realize we are in the middle of the Puerto Rican Parcade or something like that. All restaurants closed...back to hood to Bucks. Was good but want to try those tacos. You been to Haywood yet? Solid burger.

I've been to Haywood (I live very very close. I can see it from my window) but never had the food. Just the drinks. I looked at the guy like he was a fucking clown when he asked if I wanted egg whites in my whiskey sour. That's owned by Hog Salt who basically ruined the corner with their gastro pub bullshit. Clipper used to be awesome, not anymore.

As for Bullhead: tacos are fire. Hanger Steak for the win. and on $2 Taco Tuesday's they don't even make the tacos smaller. which is dope.

but the service is terrible. high turnaround.

I reccomend Spinning J for a milkshake and Flying saucer for breakfast.

and during Puerto Rican day parade weekend everything shuts down over here. guess the Ricans gots have their way.

anyways, if you want a real legit taco, try Jalisence on the corner of Grand and Chicago. best pastor in the city.

edit: oh and BullHead has the Beer, Shot, and Taco combo for $6. that cannot be beat ever.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    I am sad that I never had a chance to go to Rodan, but I don't think I'll be going to Humboldt anytime soon, Logan Square is about as far as this guy will go.

Rodan was awesome. so this is something to be truly sad about. They had these wasabi fries that were TOP NotCH.

then the landlord got greedy.

edit:

also, why stop at Logan? Humbolt ain't that bad anymore. but if you're in Logan I reccomend Parsons. it's a bit hipster but damn can them white boys make chicken.

honorable Logan square mentions include (but not limited to) Longman and Eagle, 90 Mile (technically Bucktown) and Owen and Engine
    Other fine places: Honey Butter Fried Chicken on Elston, Red Hot Ranch on western (deep fried Polish ftw)
    Last edited by LarryLaffer; 06-30-2016 at 10:00 PM.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric

Rodan was awesome. so this is something to be truly sad about. They had these wasabi fries that were TOP NotCH.

edit:

also, why stop at Logan? Humbolt ain't that bad anymore. but if you're in Logan I reccomend Parsons. it's a bit hipster but damn can them white boys make chicken.

honorable Logan square mentions include (but not limited to) Longman and Eagle, 90 Mile (technically Bucktown) and Owen and Engine
    Other fine places: Honey Butter Fried Chicken on Elston, Red Hot Ranch on western (deep fried Polish ftw)

oh man i love fried chicken!

i also like honey.

never had both together tho lol!!!
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

i also like honey.

judging by the one pic I've seen of you, I would definitely believe you're a fan of any type of fried chicken. My guess is Popeyes is your favorite.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Popeye's rules! "Looziana's best!"

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    popeye is hilarious!!!

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

edit:

i also like honey.

Probably just didn't notice.

Load Metric
    popeye is hilarious!!!

I love how openly racist cartoons used to be. sign of the times.

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

they were good.

Should've gotten the manager after the food arrived, and found out the reason for the holdup.

If it was the kitchen, tip normally, unless she didn't come back to check on you or update you at all, in which case she deserves nothing either.

If it was her fault, don't tip.

The manager will usually comp or partially comp your meal in situations like this.

Calling after-the-fact won't do much good, though, as the situation is too far past, and they won't know if you're telling the truth.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

they were good.

Should've gotten the manager after the food arrived, and found out the reason for the holdup.

If it was the kitchen, tip normally, unless she didn't come back to check on you or update you at all, in which case she deserves nothing either.

The manager will usually comp or partially comp your meal in situations like this.

Calling after-the-fact won't do much good, though, as the situation is too far past, and they won't know if you're telling the truth.

she came over once after 30 minutes and asked if we needed drinks which even if we weren't eating food is still unacceptable. I should've asked for the manager you're right. I rarely run into situations like this, and I eat out a lot (gamblers life style). I didn't call or anything after as I also realized it wouldn't mean shit.

I had a friend walk in right as I was leaving (bar was still busy) and they got their food in 10 minutes.

all in all, I think the waitress fucked up, blamed it on the kitchen. But since I really didn't see her not put the order in, I have to assume she's telling the truth, and thus the tip.

was gonna leave 3 (a bit less than 20%) but I decided to just leave a $20 bill and be done with it.

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

she came over once after 30 minutes and asked if we needed drinks which even if we weren't eating food is still unacceptable. I should've asked for the manager you're right. I rarely run into situations like this, and I eat out a lot (gamblers life style). I didn't call or anything after as I also realized it wouldn't mean shit.

I had a friend walk in right as I was leaving (bar was still busy) and they got their food in 10 minutes.

all in all, I think the waitress fucked up, blamed it on the kitchen. But since I really didn't see her not put the order in, I have to assume she's telling the truth, and thus the tip.

was gonna leave 3 (a bit less than 20%) but I decided to just leave a $20 bill and be done with it.
    BTW your girlfriend was clueless in thinking that the tip would somehow send "a message".

Huh?

The only way a tip sends a message is if you leave no tip or an intentionally insulting tiny tip. (I just go with no tip in situations like this.)

Thread Information