Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Brexit

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post
    With all the talk of this who could possibly be the next PM, and who would even want it, can someone British explain to me why the most vocal Brexit leader, Nigel Farage, is not even 100/1 or on any betting boards at all to be the next PM? Is he not even eligible or what? Seems like that would be the natural transition if nobody is stepping up to take the lead.
    He's not a member of parliament, let alone a Conservative one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    With all the talk of this who could possibly be the next PM, and who would even want it, can someone British explain to me why the most vocal Brexit leader, Nigel Farage, is not even 100/1 or on any betting boards at all to be the next PM? Is he not even eligible or what? Seems like that would be the natural transition if nobody is stepping up to take the lead.

What about the videos I saw of him berating parliament? Or was he at the EU parliament or whatever that is? Why was he allowed to sit in there and talk shit to whoever he wants?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post

What about the videos I saw of him berating parliament? Or was he at the EU parliament or whatever that is? Why was he allowed to sit in there and talk shit to whoever he wants?
    It's because he's an MEP. MEP is an abbreviation of Member of European Parliament. Meaning he was elected by brits to represent UK in the European Parliament among 75ish british MEPs. And the parliament he was talking at was the European Parliament.

Comments

thesidedish: ty

Load Metric
    Nice detail about Nigel Farage is that he is married to Kirsten Mehrin, a german national. They have 2 kids. She is employed as his parliamentary secretary. He has been an MEP since 1999 and since 2009 EU has paid his salary (before that nation states paid their MEPs salaries).

Comments

MumblesBadly: The irony
    Last edited by gimmick; 06-30-2016 at 03:27 PM.

Load Metric
    £1 = US $ 1.2992

I know we're in '85 territory here. Any educated guesses where this bottoms from our knowledgeable posters?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    £1 = US $ 1.2992

I know we're in '85 territory here. Any educated guesses where this bottoms from our knowledgeable posters?
    I don't qualify for the knowledgeable part and i don't have any personal need to be precise regarding markets. For personal curiosity i do sometimes look up the direction and rough ballpark of global events.

What i picked up from the short term value of the pound before the vote they were roughly in the ball park of what Soros said about it:

"It is reasonable to assume, given the expectations implied by the market pricing at present, that after a Brexit vote the pound would fall by at least 15% and possibly more than 20%, from its present level of $1.46 to below $1.15"

15-20% gives the range of $1,25-$1,15. I would assume that the predictions assumed that the actual irrevocable leaving process (article 50) would happen sooner and leave voters would at least get something they were promised.

Part of the price sterling now is that there is fairly real possibility that either brexit doesn't happen or that it does but almost nothing happens that affects the trade with the single market.

It's quite possible that, if UK leaves and adopts a similar model to Norway with EU, then they will be in the position the leave campaign said they were before the vote. In other words they will abide all EU laws and there is a free flow of capital and workforce. What is different is that they no longer pay any fee for membership but they lose all say in any of the regulations (something that they very much had before). They also lose all use of the resources that were pooled by EU members. Such as trade negotiators that they now desperately need.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    £1 = US $ 1.2992

well its below my estimates I said we were going to 1.30.. Actually hit 1.2827 less then 4 hrs ago before bouncing back up $1.2932.. Id heard one forecast that predicted USD/GBP would be at 1.20 at years end.. Honestly that even might be conservative depending on where things go in the next few months.. The rally was short lived with bargain hunters it appears.. Were heading for a second day post July 4th of some more hurt HK opened 250pts lower this morning and has dropped an additional 300pts before pairing losses 100. Euro and US stock futures both looking down for this mornings opens.

Load Metric
    Also looks highly likely the Brits are gonna have themselves a female PM for the first time since Thatcher stepped down.. 3 remaining candidates and the top 2 are female with the 4th and 5th place vote getters who dropped out both supported May who led the vote.

Load Metric
    Bump! ... With an article about a beloved-by-Brits breakfast spread shortage due to big corporate food vender concerns over impact of Brexit. (Or just opportunism to squeeze a smaller customer).

British supermarkets are running out of Marmite. Brexit just got real.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...just-got-real/

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  50.1 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Meanwhile, Scotland's prime minister announces consultations for Scoxit from the UK before Brexit is implemented will start next week.

SNP's Nicola Sturgeon announces new independence referendum bill
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37634338
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Meanwhile, Scotland's prime minister announces consultations for Scoxit from the UK before Brexit is implemented will start next week.

Yeah that'll work really well.. Scotland would lose all the UK military bases including the second biggest in the UK (which is one of their nuke sub bases).. Scotland better think twice about that one..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post

Yeah that'll work really well.. Scotland would lose all the UK military bases including the second biggest in the UK (which is one of their nuke sub bases).. Scotland better think twice about that one..
    You forget that a lot of Brits (like me) and especially Scots don't actually want to have nukes

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post

You forget that a lot of Brits (like me) and especially Scots don't actually want to have nukes
    But wouldn't there be an economic hit if Scotlandless-UK pulls those bases?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post

But wouldn't there be an economic hit if Scotlandless-UK pulls those bases?
    There would be a much larger economic hit from losing EU membership.

If the UK still wants those bases it can lease them as the US does with its bases in some countries.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Makes sense.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Or so say the boys in Whitehall.

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/brexi...iament-ruling/
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    The Ham Sandwich...Considered Contraband in the E.U.

It doesn't take the customs officer long to find the contraband stashed inside the car that he's just pulled over. Not guns, drugs or people smuggled over the border — but a ham sandwich wrapped in tinfoil.

"Welcome to the Brexit, sir, I'm sorry!" the convivial Dutch border official says with a chuckle as he confiscates the illicit snack.

The footage broadcast by Dutch TV network NPO 1 might seem farcical. But the official was merely acting on new rules that came into force after the post-Brexit United Kingdom stopped using European Union regulations on Jan. 1.

Full story here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/w...y-u-k-n1253879

Load Metric
    Some fishing folks who supported Brexit are now pissed that the post-Brexit government isn’t treating them as expected.

They voted for Brexit. Now many U.K. fishermen feel betrayed.
    Fishermen complain of broken government promises, while exporters say they are choking on red tape.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...rayed-n1255986
    BRISTOL, England — As an island and ancient seafaring nation, the United Kingdom’s fishing communities have an outsize impact on the country’s identity.
    So it should be no surprise that their fate loomed over Brexit negotiations, with politicians promising fishermen they would be big winners after the U.K. left the European Union.
    But now, many members of the fishing community say they feel let down by the government. Instead of boosting the industry, they say, the new trade deal fails to deliver on lawmakers’ Brexit promises, has choked their businesses with red tape and left the struggling sector to wither away further.
    “The deal was absolutely shameful and disgraceful — that’s the only way to describe it,” said David Pessell, the managing director of Plymouth Trawler Agents, a fish auctioneering business in southwest England. “They broke their word on every count in effect.”

Thread Information