Thread: Super-late registration at WSOP is unfair

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Super-late registration at WSOP is unfair

With the faster structures at the limit events this year, much of the field is gone after 8 levels are complete.

For example, there were just 64 out of 245 people left after 10 levels tonight at the $3k Limit Holdem 6-Max, which means that someone joining after 8 levels was able to start with a full stack and probably sat down with 60-67% of the field already gone.

This is unacceptable, especially given the WSOP's payment of the top 15% now (instead of the top 10%).

I propose the following two solutions:

1) Reduce late registration to a maximum of 6 hours of play

-and-

2) Penalize late registrations after 2 hours by removing chips from their stack. The following will be done:
    Sit before the beginning of the 3rd hour: No penalty
    Sit after the beginning of the 3rd hour but before the 4th: 10% penalty
    Sit after the beginning of the 4th hour, but before the 5th: 25% penalty
    Sit after the beginning of the 5th hour, but before the 6th: 40% penalty
    Sit after the begnning of the 6th hour, but before the 7th: 50% penalty
    Sit after the beginning of the 7th hour: NOT ALLOWED

Before you call this unfair, be aware that registering late and beginning with a full stack is the equivalent of being able to fold every hand for all of those hours without paying blinds. This is unfair. Blinds exist to force players to get involved in the action, and not just sit on a stack until later when chips are more likely to fly. Simply put, surviving past the first 2/3 of the field should be a skill -- not something you can accomplish by literally sleeping for the first 8 hours of the tournament!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Super Late reg only favors high volume, high staked pros. I agree with the penalty idea, although some would say if you do that it would hurt the overall punter numbers for these things.
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric
    Don't like it don't play. You just love to complain. It makes you feel important and not impotent. Rant about the size, weight, and colour of the chips next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    At the same time working yourself up a quadruple stack while these fools are still buying in doesn't suck.

I can't see this being an advantage for a good player. Only if a dude is way worse than the field would this be an advantage. And these are the people that should have a leg up.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    With that said it is really gross to be there forever and have a less than starting stack while fools are buying in.
    Last edited by Brittney Griner's Clit; 06-23-2016 at 05:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The question I'm being asked a lot is, "If it's so advantageous to buy in late, why don't you do it?"

My answer is that I play these events for enjoyment and the challenge of beating them, and not for profit (though a profit would be nice, too!)

It wouldn't be fun, for example, to sit at the $10k Limit Holdem with starting stack coming into level 9, play one hand, and bust.

But I still think it's an underrated advantage to enter the field with 60-70% of the players already gone, especially with the mincash being at 85% gone.

This situation is perfect for deep-pocketed pros who aren't in love with a particular event, and are playing every day. They enter late (sometimes out of necessity, sometimes out of laziness), try to double up right off the bat, and if they fail, they don't care. If they succeed in doubling up, then they're near average stack, and can go back to playing their normal style. If they can survive another 15-25% of the field busting, they even cash! What a deal!

I just feel that this corrupts the entire concept of tournaments, which seek to put everyone on the same level, and should require everyone to go through the same trials and tribulations to succeed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The question I'm being asked a lot is, "If it's so advantageous to buy in late, why don't you do it?"

My answer is that I play these events for enjoyment and the challenge of beating them, and not for profit (though a profit would be nice, too!)

It wouldn't be fun, for example, to sit at the $10k Limit Holdem with starting stack coming into level 9, play one hand, and bust.
    Additionally, I find that you will always see noticeable regs and pros in the late registration lines and I'd assume that if you are part of the late reg crowd, you will most likely be sitting with these tougher players.

I've never late regged, and my early tables are always filled with old guys and more recreational players. Those are the tables you want.
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    Additionally, I find that you will always see noticeable regs and pros in the late registration lines and I'd assume that if you are part of the late reg crowd, you will most likely be sitting with these tougher players.

I've never late regged, and my early tables are always filled with old guys and more recreational players. Those are the tables you want.
    It generally doesn't work that way in these big field 1.5ks at wsop. You get a seat card from someone in the field who has already busted. I will grant that better players are more likely to remain when you've already eliminated 70% of the field, but it's not like there are "late reg tables" when you max late reg these wsop events.

Load Metric
    Your ass you play these for enjoyment. If they were so fun then you wouldn't pout for two days without even answering Brandon's texts after you bust.

Comments

Deal: just like he doesnt care that hes aging like a president

GrenadaRoger: bullshit detector rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Your ass you play these for enjoyment. If they were so fun then you wouldn't pout for two days without even answering Brandon's texts after you bust.
    Because it's important for me to actually win/go deep in them, the same reason guys like Jerry Buss and Sam Simon played. Now, those guys were so loaded that they didn't care about the money at all. I care about the money, but that's not the main thought in my head when I bust in disappointing fashion.

To compare, when I lose a lot at cash, I don't ignore anyone's texts, and you can't even tell when I'm on radio. I've done radio after some horrible cash sessions, and I've done it after a huge run-up, and you can't tell the difference. Even I can't tell the difference if I hear the show years later and forget about when I was winning or losing.

Thread Information