Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
My point is that tipped service professions versus non-tipped service professions are very unequal, and people tend to ignore that when deciding who to tip and how much to tip.

Sorry, but you don't deserve a $5 tip for walking 150 feet with a bag of food to my table, while you're carrying five other bags for five other tippers. You just don't.

And by "deserve", I mean what you deserve from me. The other five guys can tip $100 each for all I care. But at the same time, I'm not tipping you $5 just because the other five guys are tipping you $5.

You already make a lot of money for a very unskilled job. (Seriously, I could train 5-year-old Benjamin to do this job!) You are providing me a very minor service, one that is very little trouble and takes very little time. Hell, if someone handed me 6 bags to deliver while I was hanging around on break, I would do it for $30 in tips (I'm not joking!)

$3 is not undertipping. What defines undertipping, anyway? Giving less than what everyone else does? As Brandon pointed out, people are giving $5 partially due to the lack of change available, and partially because they're playing an expensive WSOP event and figure an amount like $5 is nothing to them. But everyone should not be expected to do that, and anyone tipping less than $5 shouldn't be considered cheap.

How come $5 for walking over a $25 bag is an appropriate tip, and yet that same $5 is an appropriate tip for a diner where you buy a $25 meal, and the waitress spends 90-120 minutes going back and forth getting things for you?

well, ive seen bracelet winners do a lot worse things I guess.

also, how long do you usually take to order a meal, and eat it and pay and leave a tip? 90-120 minutes is a bit excessive to be sitting around a resturant. are you eating 5 course meals?