Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: ***Official 2016 WSOP Thread***

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Here's the guy who got kicked out of the Little One Drop event:

Is this the same guy? Funny in that I found this on Sorrel Mizzi's twitter feed as he is such a stand up guy in the poker world.

Go to the twitter link if the periscope doesn't open first. LOL
    @hotshott74 on twitter

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    I can't imagine folding quads.

There's no way that's possibly justified.
    Did you read the article? I thought it ridic until fillowing his reasoning about the betting pattern, table read, and that this was in the Main Event. Because, as he said, he would have made that call in a cash game or other tourney. And afterward, the reaction of his opponent when he folded strongly supports it.

Mind you, I would have auto-donkey called. But that's why I'm not a pro mostly-NLHE player like Bowker, with or without lifetime tourney winnings of over $2.8m to date.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=51645
    Bowker & his opponent in that hand can say anything they want but in most likelihood he had the nut flush draw, most likey A-Qs, & got there & was gonna donk his stack off. He may have even been slow-playing a boat but I just don't see how the betting pattern screams Q-10s. I just don't see it.

Terrible, terrible fold IMO.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Hi Druff. I am new to the forums but have been listening to the radio for a long time. I first wanted to say that you do a really fine job on the podcast. I look forward to it every week, and for that I thank you.

But I do have a big bone to pick with you in regards to your beef with the late reg policy at WSOP. You state that late reg is too long and it's frustrating when grind for hours to chip up to a reasonable stack, while a late reg comes in, doubles up quickly and is in a better situation than you are in half the time.

It boggles my mind that such a successful gambler as yourself is so results oriented. That late reg can just as easily bust out in 10 minutes as he can double up in 10 minutes. I know you know this, but yet you still tout these illogical arguments.

The argument should be: the person who enters right at the start of the tournament plays longer with worse players, increases the amount of edge he has on the field and therefore increasing his EV.

Late regging a tourney decreases the EV of the other players in the tourney and increases yours, so why are you so against it?? Just because they may once in a while double up and have more chips than you in half the time? What about all the other times when they bust out in half the time?

Why are you so results oriented? I could go into many other times on the show when you've elicited this line of thinking and it irks me to no end.

Or, do you disagree with me completely?

Load Metric

I really don't give a shit about the players left in the 2016 WSOP main event.

However, if there is one poker pro that doesn't deserve to win the WSOP main event it's current chip leader (41.5 million chips) Cliff "JohnnyBax" Josephy.

The backer of young naive obnoxious internet poker pros such as Joe Cada.

May JohnnyBax suffer from bad beats and get sucked out.

Load Metric
    Wasn't there something shady that happened with him?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

Did you read the article? I thought it ridic until fillowing his reasoning about the betting pattern, table read, and that this was in the Main Event. Because, as he said, he would have made that call in a cash game or other tourney. And afterward, the reaction of his opponent when he folded strongly supports it.

Mind you, I would have auto-donkey called. But that's why I'm not a pro mostly-NLHE player like Bowker, with or without lifetime tourney winnings of over $2.8m to date.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=51645
    Bowker & his opponent in that hand can say anything they want but in most likelihood he had the nut flush draw, most likey A-Qs, & got there & was gonna donk his stack off. He may have even been slow-playing a boat but I just don't see how the betting pattern screams Q-10s. I just don't see it.

Terrible, terrible fold IMO.
    1) He was "a three-better". There is a good chance he would have 3-bet the flop with AQ suited to isolate the orig raiser.

2) Bowker gave no indication that this guy was a donkey.

3) This was *the* WSOP Main Event, not some $10 -- or even a $100 -- online tourney that young hotshots are likely to play with reckless abandon and rinse and repeat if they donk off being overly aggressive with n-th best hands on the river (with n > 8) against the in-position river bettor.

4) Bowker's lead out river bet was large enough to indicate that he was pot committed. Raising all-in while giving Bowker 4-1 on his money -- and when Bowker wouldn't be crippled if he called and lost -- would have been an utterly stupid desperation move by the kid if he held the nut flush. In fact, if he was so reckless/aggresive, he would likely have raised all-in on the turn, where he had more fold equity. Especially when Bowker disguised the ridic strength of his hand by betting out.

5) If the "kid" had been a much older guy (say, my age), and frustrated by events up to that point, there is good chance he would donked off his chips on the river with such a bet with only the nut flush in a vain attempt to "make a move against that punk poker pro Bowker!"

6) If the "kid" had been Jacylin Moskow, it is almost GUAR-RAN-TEED that she would have make such a donkey move with the 9th best hand in that case. (At least as evidenced by her showing in that PNIA hand that she tried to get quashed.)

Comments

rum dick: top shelf
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Final 9:

Name:  wsop2016FT.PNG
Views: 653
Size:  78.9 KB

JohnnyBax the chip leader. 5 Americans, 1 Belgium, 1 Czech, 1 Canadian, and 1 Spain.

Comments

TheXFactor: and 1 guy from Belgium...who will win the WSOP main event. Fuck Johnny Bax.
    Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 07-18-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Load Metric
    Mutt Town USA

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

I really don't give a shit about the players left in the 2016 WSOP main event.

However, if there is one poker pro that doesn't deserve to win the WSOP main event it's current chip leader (41.5 million chips) Cliff "JohnnyBax" Josephy.

The backer of young naive obnoxious internet poker pros such as Joe Cada.

May JohnnyBax suffer from bad beats and get sucked out.

I don't mind JohnnyBax. From a financial standpoint he probably has the final table covered but I've never really heard of him doing anything way out of line in the poker world.

Not really sure why you hate the guy for running a staking stable because it's one of them things where if he don't do it someone else will fill the spot.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I don't mind JohnnyBax. From a financial standpoint he probably has the final table covered but I've never really heard of him doing anything way out of line in the poker world.

Not really sure why you hate the guy for running a staking stable because it's one of them things where if he don't do it someone else will fill the spot.

I don't really hate him, it's just some of the assholes he has backed.

Considering that he and Sheets have staked hundreds of young internet kids, has he made a huge profit doing it?

Here are some stats for the 2016 WSOP main event final table...

Seat: 1 — Griffin Genger

Chip Count: 26,175,000 (7th)
    Profession: Poker Player
    Lifetime Earnings: $1,386,295
    Biggest Poker Score: 2013 EPT Berlin High Roller — 1st Place ($562,343)

Seat: 2 — Vojtech Ruzicka

Chip Count: 27,450,000 (6th)
    Lifetime Earnings: $1,149,027
    Biggest Poker Score: 2013 EPT Deauville High Roller — 3rd Place ($426,907)

Seat: 3 — Fernando Pons

Chip Count: 6,225,000 (9th)
    Profession: Account Manager
    Lifetime Earnings: $20,653
    Biggest Poker Score: 2012 Campeonato de España de Poker — 2nd Place ($19,127)

Seat: 4 — Qui Nguyen

Chip Count: 68,075,000 (2nd)
    Profession: Gambler
    Lifetime Earnings: $52,986
    Biggest Poker Score: 2013 Aria $125 Nightly — 1st Place ($3,220)

Seat: 5 — Cliff Josephy

Chip Count: 75,000,000 (1st)
    Lifetime Earnings: $2,641,620
    Biggest Poker Score: 2006 Aruba Poker Classic — 2nd Place ($446,975)

Seat: 6 — Michael Ruane

Chip Count: 29,800,000 (5th)
    Lifetime Earnings: $44,962
    Biggest Poker Score: 2012 EPT Campione Main Event — 30th Place ($17,244)

Seat: 7 — Gordon Vayo

Chip Count: 50,450,000 (3rd)
    Lifetime Earnings: $974,714
    Biggest Poker Score: 2014 WSOP $3,000 NLH — 1st Place ($314,535)

Seat: 8 — Kenny Hallaert

Chip Count: 43,325,000 (4th)
    Lifetime Earnings: $1,714,610
    Biggest Poker Score: 2011 EPT Deauville Main Event — 6th Place ($210,962)

Seat: 9 — Jerry Wong

Chip Count: 10,325,000 (8th)
    Lifetime Earnings: $1,317,539
    Biggest Poker Score: 2013 PCA Main Event — 3rd Place ($725,000)

WOW, oldest WSOP final table in decades.

Since 2008, when the November 9 first started the oldest player to win the WSOP main event has been Martin Jacobson 27 years old from Sweden who won in 2014.

JohnnyBax who is 50 years old may be the favorite to win but history has shown that the younger kids have the advantage for as long as the November 9 has existed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

I don't really hate him, it's just some of the assholes he has backed.

Considering that he and Sheets have staked hundreds of young internet kids, has he made a huge profit doing it?
    So you don't like him because he backs assholes? Who are the assholes ?

I'm pretty sure they have made some big money backing people , didn't sheets even say this himself on radio? at one point in time they had a monster stable and they were like the first people to have a stable that large of internet and live players

Comments

MumblesBadly: Bankers hire countless assholes to make money for the bank. They are normally called 'traders'.

Load Metric
    1) He was "a three-better". There is a good chance he would have 3-bet the flop with AQ suited to isolate the orig raiser.

3) This was *the* WSOP Main Event, not some $10 -- or even a $100 -- online tourney that young hotshots are likely to play with reckless abandon and rinse and repeat if they donk off being overly aggressive with n-th best hands on the river (with n > 8) against the in-position river bettor.

4) Bowker's lead out river bet was large enough to indicate that he was pot committed. Raising all-in while giving Bowker 4-1 on his money -- and when Bowker wouldn't be crippled if he called and lost -- would have been an utterly stupid desperation move by the kid if he held the nut flush. In fact, if he was so reckless/aggresive, he would likely have raised all-in on the turn, where he had more fold equity. Especially when Bowker disguised the ridic strength of his hand by betting out.

5) If the "kid" had been a much older guy (say, my age), and frustrated by events up to that point, there is good chance he would donked off his chips on the river with such a bet with only the nut flush in a vain attempt to "make a move against that punk poker pro Bowker!"

6) If the "kid" had been Jacylin Moskow, it is almost GUAR-RAN-TEED that she would have make such a donkey move with the 9th best hand in that case. (At least as evidenced by her showing in that PNIA hand that she tried to get quashed.)
    I'm not gonna argue with you about this because I know how you live for it but where the fuck are you getting your info because I read the article?

1) Where the fuck does it say he's a "3 better"? Seriously, where? It says he flatted.

2) Exactly. He gives no info about his opponent other than calling him a "kid". Geez, I wonder why? Probably so the reader can make our own assumptions to make his fold seem semi-plausible. See, I'm capable of making unfounded assumptions too.

3) You're giving waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit for the ME providing great play when the opposite is actually true, especially early which this is, IMO. There's a reason Druff doesn't sell parts of his ME.

4) Okay, I might be a little off-base with the "nut flush" although I still thinks it's a good possibility, & he had 9's full & thought he was slow-playing the turn. Both hands are waaaaaaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaay more likely than specifically Q-10s IMO.

5) Whatever. Don't see how this is even relevant & goes back to # 2).

6) lol. Okay, I got a chuckle.

The point of my original post that you replied to was that you admonished Druff by asking if he even read the article:
    http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news...-in-main-event

when there's absolutely nothing in it, including the betting patterns that you point out, that just SCREAMS Q-10s IMO. It just doesn't in my mind.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    I feel a guy named "Kenny" from Belgium has got this.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i don't think many people realize how good bax is. seemed like the dude woke up on top of the internet charts back in the day.

i remember watching him playing the pca 660 mtt qualifier every week and qualifying every week.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Go Canadian!

Load Metric
    Go Canada here too.

But if he can't win let Qui Nguyen win. He must be a true degenerate who is constantly broke as shit (based on poker results).

He named himself as a gambler not a poker player which is HOF imo.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I think it's great that three people at the final table have less than 55k in cashes.

Only two guys under 30 years old with the average age being 35.4.

I read Bax backed over 200 people in the main this year and it's funny cause he could be the one to win it all.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I read somewhere he backed cada when bax and sheets backed cada the year he won...

forgot how much that was for, but if they were ever in the red from staking (highly doubtful) that win probably got them into the black...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

I'm not gonna argue with you about this because I know how you live for it but where the fuck are you getting your info because I read the article?

1) Where the fuck does it say he's a "3 better"? Seriously, where? It says he flatted.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 632
Size:  52.5 KB

2) Exactly. He gives no info about his opponent other than calling him a "kid". Geez, I wonder why? Probably so the reader can make our own assumptions to make his fold seem semi-plausible. See, I'm capable of making unfounded assumptions too.

You make it sound like he purposefully misrepresented the profile of his opponent to rationalize his fold. I can see a weekend/rec player doing this, but not a tourney pro with $2.8 million in live cash tourney winnings. So, to me, the "kid" most likely indicates a younger, more aggressive/Internet player, but not necessarily a donkey who would try to bluff giving the orig aggressor 4-1 to call his all-in river raise..

3) You're giving waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit for the ME providing great play when the opposite is actually true, especially early which this is, IMO. There's a reason Druff doesn't sell parts of his ME.

Not great play, but nittier play early on. Druff himself mentioned how the rec players seemed more careful with their chips than what was the usual play style at the ME in years past.

4) Okay, I might be a little off-base with the "nut flush" although I still thinks it's a good possibility, & he had 9's full & thought he was slow-playing the turn. Both hands are waaaaaaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaay more likely than specifically Q-10s IMO.

Before the hand played out, I agree with your "wa...ay" modifiers. But not afterward. Especially with the paired board, the pot odds Bowker was given, it being the ME, and that coming-over-the-top all-in by the previously passive-in-the-hand player.

5) Whatever. Don't see how this is even relevant & goes back to # 2).

You mentioned a donkey player. I came up with an example of who I would likely see as making a donkey all-in play holding the nut flush: a much older, possibly frustrated, male player who is envious of the success of much younger players like Bowker.

6) lol. Okay, I got a chuckle.

The point of my original post that you replied to was that you admonished Druff by asking if he even read the article:
    http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news...-in-main-event

when there's absolutely nothing in it, including the betting patterns that you point out, that just SCREAMS Q-10s IMO. It just doesn't in my mind.
    Well, differences of opinions is certaintly why poker is such an interesting, and hotly debated, topic. And thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully reply.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 07-19-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Stoked for Gordon. Met him back in 2006/2007ish when he was playing under "hollla@yoboy," and he was randomly looking for weed in Phoenix on PocketFives.

Definitely will be rooting for him to take it down.

Pretty sure he was staked by Bax at one point in time, though I doubt he currently is.

Thread Information