Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrah's shits the bed some more during the WSOP and pisses off Joeph Cheong

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Harrah's shits the bed some more during the WSOP and pisses off Joeph Cheong

Harrah's shit the bed again and lied to players like Joseph Cheong:

Load Metric
    Yeah, I also have a thread out about the 1500 re-entry in the scammers section.

Harrah's is also shitting the bed on the chiptic chip monitoring system they were suppose to have in place. My buddy is the guy implementing it and it has been all network issues on Harrah's end preventing this from going out all the way. You would no longer have to sit there and wait for pokernews, and you could go online and check chip counts.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I am not understanding this.

What does Joe Cheong think Harrah's real objection to this (moving the date of the final HU match) is?

He doesn't believe the Nevada Gaming Commission story, and he has a point that they reschedule tournaments all the time. So what is he trying to imply is there reason for this?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

What does Joe Cheong think Harrah's real objection to this (moving the date of the final HU match) is?

He doesn't believe the Nevada Gaming Commission story, and he has a point that they reschedule tournaments all the time. So what is he trying to imply is there reason for this?
    The problem wasn't the delay, the problem was they wanted to delay the match until Tuesday, which is when they said the NGC will not allow for that long of a delay. Here is the quotes from the WSOP offical who Jack Effel was speaking through: "Here's the situation," Jones explained. "None of them are good. Theoretically we need the second match to start tonight, or tomorrow at 11, 12 or 1."

Furthermore, what kind of precedence would this set? Players can just decide the best times for them to play a final table or heads-up match as long as they agree? I actually side with the WSOP on this one
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

The problem wasn't the delay, the problem was they wanted to delay the match until Tuesday, which is when they said the NGC will not allow for that long of a delay. Here is the quotes from the WSOP offical who Jack Effel was speaking through: "Here's the situation," Jones explained. "None of them are good. Theoretically we need the second match to start tonight, or tomorrow at 11, 12 or 1."

Furthermore, what kind of precedence would this set? Players can just decide the best times for them to play a final table or heads-up match as long as they agree? I actually side with the WSOP on this one
    You know... you're actually right about this.

WTF was Cheong doing entering the $1500 NL event while he was down to the final 2 of the $5k mix-max event? I mean, that's just not a smart move.

You can't start complaining about conflicts when you do shit like that.

I'm just wondering what Cheong meant when he talked about it being "all about money". How does Harrah's decision make them more money?

Load Metric

WTF was Cheong doing entering the $1500 NL event while he was down to the final 2 of the $5k mix-max event? I mean, that's just not a smart move.

I'm just wondering what Cheong meant when he talked about it being "all about money". How does Harrah's decision make them more money?
    I think the quest for a bracelet(s) has turned "name" poker players into 15 year-old boys with hard-ons; they simply make terrible decisions. This double-dipping is an extremely new phenomonon (I can't remember ever hearing of this before like 2008ish) and it's like multi-tabling in my opinion; a few people can play 24 tables profitably but EVERYONE then wants to prove they can do it too. 20 years from now I think a lot of these guys will just admit they were throwing money away trying to get famous by winning WSOP events.

On a related note: I think the way sponsorships and backing, which is how tournament players survive, have evolved are the key culprits here. Tournament players are judged on the amount won, and their losses are disregarded. until we have a system that shows how much these guys are paying inbuy-ins we'll never have an accurate picture of their results. So if the real money is in winning events, and landing a lucrative sponsorship deal (or at the least freerolling major tournaments for three years or so on PokerStars dime) then playing in -EV spots is actually +EV if you can bink a few wins. And aside from the really informed backers, if you're a name player you'll basically be able to sell as much of yourself as you want for a decade.

Load Metric

He referred to the sports book and the line moving so I am assuming he was talking about people betting on the final table, which seems to be popular this year.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post

He referred to the sports book and the line moving so I am assuming he was talking about people betting on the final table, which seems to be popular this year.
    Under that rationale wouldn't Harrah's make more money by pushing the match back like the players wanted?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post

Under that rationale wouldn't Harrah's make more money by pushing the match back like the players wanted?
    You have to ask Joe Cheong his rationale, thats just what I thought I heard him talking about... He is kind of mumble mouthed toward the end there though.

Load Metric
    Kudos to the WSOP for sticking to the structure. Give poker players an inch and they want to take a mile.

I ran into something similar at a Borgata Poker Open tournament a couple of years ago... It was one of the lower buy-in side events (like $550 or something) that started on a Sunday and was advertised as a one day event. Well, as the tournament got down to the final three tables, there was lots of talk among players about coming back the next day for the final 18 or the final 9. They asked a floor person, who consulted with the tournament director, and the way things were being discussed, it actually seemed like it was going to be put to a majority vote! WHAT THE F***!!!?!?
    I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The only reason I signed up and played in this tournament was because it would be a one day tournament. "Hey, you're cashing, just take a day off of work" may make sense for some, but I didn't think it was right to force anyone to skip work, or spend an extra night in a hotel, or whatever. Eventually, and thankfully, saner heads prevailed and there was no vote taken. But just the idea that it was okay to go off script like this was surprising to me. I don't care if you're tired or you're inconvenienced -- if you sign up for a one day tournament (or in Joseph Cheong's case, a tournament scheduled to complete on a particular day), I don't think it's right to go changing schedules.

In a similar vein, on the WSOP live stream I overheard Barry Greenstein, Andy Bloch and Stephen Su discussing extending their dinner break to 1 hour 15 minutes. I mean, if nobody shows up, the dealer isn't going to deal the cards. And courtesy dictates that two players wait for one to return (from the restroom, or whatever) to play three handed. But where does this end? Should the three players be able to agree to come back in 5 hours instead? Should local pros be allowed to pressure recreational players to change their schedules? I think it sets a bad precedent, and discourages people like me from playing in these events at all.

Load Metric
    Cheong is wrong. Very simple.

His only real arguement is that if players have been allowed to do this sort of thing in the past. Still totally his fault for not discussing with directors.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I am just wondering who the chick is with the huge fake tits in the background.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's true Cheong probably shouldn't of entered the $1500 but them saying they can't change the time is BS when they do it all the time. Their was no way they could play that out tonight after the other match ended these guys will start with nearly 400BBs for a HU match which is never heard of so I'm sure this structure will be redone next year as this match could take a real long time being that deep.

As for it being all about the money while that is true about the WSOP this wasn't the place for Cheong to say that considering he's helping support it by entering the re-entry afterward multi tabling.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    It's true Cheong probably shouldn't of entered the $1500 but them saying they can't change the time is BS when they do it all the time. Their was no way they could play that out tonight after the other match ended these guys will start with nearly 400BBs for a HU match which is never heard of so I'm sure this structure will be redone next year as this match could take a real long time being that deep.

As for it being all about the money while that is true about the WSOP this wasn't the place for Cheong to say that considering he's helping support it by entering the re-entry afterward multi tabling.
    Tournament officials wanted to put it off untile Monday, Cheong and the other guy wanted Tuesday --which makes ZERO sense. And is it just me or is Joe Cheong the most awkward person of all-time?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Tournament officials wanted to put it off untile Monday, Cheong and the other guy wanted Tuesday --which makes ZERO sense. And is it just me or is Joe Cheong the most awkward person of all-time?
    They still shouldn't lie about it but then tried to get them to come back at 9am today at first which is LOL for a WSOP event but it got pushed until noon. Cheong is definitely awkward looking I agree.

Load Metric

IDK he seems pretty articulate in this clip.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

Load Metric

And is it just me or is Joe Cheong the most awkward person of all-time?

Name:  Panther.gif
Views: 471
Size:  183.0 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

Draxel needs to check said titties out for authenticity and give us a WSOP titties report on radio tomorrow night
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    It sounded to me like the player was annoyed because he was given a BS reason why he couldn't get the match moved. Harrahs didn't want to move the tourney to when the players wanted, which is their right to do. But it sounds like the excuse they gave was complete BS, which can be very annoying.

Also, I thought the guy came off pretty good, considering he probably isn't used to being interviewed in front of a camera. Some people are naturals, but being interviewed in front of a camera is something most people have to have experience at before they get decent.

You see it a lot in professional athletes, who are absolutely horrible interviews until they get some reps under their belt. If you want to see real awkward dig up some Jeremy Lin's first few interviews when he started blowing up big.

Thread Information