Thread: 2+2 Pokercast says goodbye to Pokerstars as a sponsor after 8 years

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

2+2 Pokercast says goodbye to Pokerstars as a sponsor after 8 years

Before I begin here, I want to let everyone know that I'm not gloating.

I don't actually see the 2+2 Pokercast as "competition", but rather just another podcast. I like Adam Schwartz (the longtime host, who now also does it with Terrence Chan), and I think they do a good job with the show. It's a different type of show than PFA's show (more serious, and more tightly produced), and is well regarded with many fans. It should also be noted that Adam regularly listens to our PFA show, which I think is great.

Anyway, they've been sponsored by Pokerstars for 8 years. No more.

Do they really have 40,000 downloads per week? That's a bit hard to believe, but whatever. FYI, sometimes podcasts miscount "downloads" when the same person connects several times to download the same podcast. I always throw those out when counting our ratings.

They do have a bigger audience than we do, but I kinda doubt 40x bigger.

I heard a rumor that Pokerstars used to invest a LOT of money in this, and still were paying very handsomely despite a reduction a few years ago.

In fact, when I heard the rumored numbers of what they were getting, I will admit that I was a bit jealous. Like, it was way more than I ever pictured.

While I am happy that we have complete editorial control over our show (which 2+2's Pokercast didn't, for a variety of reasons), I have to admit that I would have given up that control if I got paid what Pokerstars was likely forking over.

Anyway, I feel bad for Adam. I don't think they will find a sponsor paying anything like that again.

More Amaya belt tightening.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    As opinionated as Terrence and Adam are I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to part ways with PokerStars after the whole supernova elite debacle and be free to say exactly what's on there minds.....but in all reality it just looks like Amaya finding a way to save a buck.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This makes room for Hero Poker and Draft Day to come to the rescue.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, out of curiosity, I just took a gander at the PFA radio download logs for the June 1 show.

Keep in mind that it's been fewer than 4 full days since the show ended (it finished around 4am PT June 2), and that there are still downloads yet to come from those who haven't gotten to it yet.

Still, there are about 18,000 downloads, and that's not including third-party sites like TuneIn, Stitcher, Pokerfuse, etc.

So do we have 18,000 archive listeners?

Not even close. There are lots of duplicate IPs in the logs.

I am actually going to write a small program to delete the duplicate IPs tonight, so I can get a better idea of our exact ratings. I've been estimating 1000 overall listeners for awhile now, but the truth is that I've only taken cursory looks. It could easily be substantially more or less than that, and I think it's time I found out.

If you wonder how I was determining the ratings before, I was simply averaging the number of duplicate IPs I was seeing in general, dividing the number of hits by that number, and then adding the live listeners and numbers I pulled from third-party sources such as Stitcher (when available).

Tonight I will seek to get more accurate ratings, though I will never be able to get 100% accuracy due to the third party sites serving our content.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Turned out my "small program" was smaller than I thought. I was able to do it as a one-line script.

My 1000 estimate looks like it's a bit low.

So far, 702 separate and distinct IPs have downloaded the radio show from June 1 either directly through the server or via iTunes.

Again, since it's been fewer than 5 days, there will be more downloads in the coming days/weeks.

Also, I have not yet counted Stitcher, Tunein, the call-to-listen-line, the live listenership, or other third-party sites such as Pokerfuse. In fact, only some of those are countable.

I looked at the shows from the past month, and they are pretty consistent. Some episodes do a little better than others, but in general we get about 700-800 distinct direct/iTunes downloads in the first week following the program, with a few hundred more trickling in over the subsequent weeks/months/years. (Yes, new people actually find old shows from years ago and listen to them for the first time!)

Regaring Stitcher, I just looked it up and it's getting about 100-160 listens per episode within a month of airing. Again, more listens come in after that, but not a significant amount.

Live listenership is between 100 and 200 people, typically.

I do not have stats for Tunein, Pokerfuse, or other third party services providing the show.

If I had to estimate, I would say we get about 1300-1500 listeners either live or within 2 weeks of the show airing, and maybe another few hundred on top of that over time.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Their has to be HUGE variance in the 2+2 podcast from episode to episode depending on the guest(s) and topic of discussion. The same goes for PFA but I don't think they get 50k average either because then for the bigger shows do they get 150k? I highly doubt it.

2+2 is a huge forum and their might have been a time when they got that average amount of downloads but it would have been several years ago when poker was still booming and I highly doubt they maintained that amount of people listening over the past few years.

Load Metric
    Pokerstars lost a huge market when Americans could no longer play. They are just cutting costs to the bare bones. They are resting on their laurels. Without constant new signups and shitty promotions they will lose more and more players hopefully. I hate Amaya and hope they bleed money like a stuck pig.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: likewise

Thread Information