Thread: ***OFfICIAL*** Jan Sobierski appreciation thread

Load Metric

***OFfICIAL*** Jan Sobierski appreciation thread

1683 Battle of Vienna

The allies were now ready for the last blow. At around 6:00 pm the Polish king ordered the cavalry attack in four groups, three Polish and one from the Holy Roman Empire. Eighteen thousand horsemen charged down the hills, one of the largest cavalry charges in history after some ancient charges.Jan III Sobieski led the charge at the head of 3,000 Polish heavy lancers, the famed "Winged Hussars". The Lipka Tatars who fought on the Polish side wore a sprig of straw in their helmets to distinguish themselves from the Tatars fighting on the Ottoman side. The charge easily broke the lines of the Ottomans, who were exhausted and demoralized and soon started to flee the battlefield. The cavalry headed straight for the Ottoman camps and Kara Mustafa's headquarters, while the remaining Viennese garrison sallied out of its defenses to join in the assault.

The Ottoman troops were tired and dispirited following the failure of both the attempt at sapping and the assault on the city and the advance of the Holy League infantry on the Türkenschanze. The cavalry charge was one last deadly blow. Less than three hours after the cavalry attack, the Christian forces had won the battle and saved Vienna. The first Christian officer who entered Vienna was Margrave Ludwig of Baden, at the head of his dragoons. Afterwards Sobieski paraphrased Julius Caesar's famous quotation (Veni, vidi, vici) by saying "Veni, vidi, Deus vicit"--"I came, I saw, God conquered".

Comments

FPS_Russia: Wiganers soo deeep!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Yes, the Poles were instrumental in saving Vienna from the Turks. If Austria lost the Battle of Vienna, Europe might be Muslim today. FYI, croissants were invented to celebrate the victory over the Turks. They are not French.

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Would be funny if the Pope re-assembled his armies.

Load Metric
    Infortunately for Polish pride, this event was likely the highwater mark of its pre-modern era. Due to a weak central government and the ascendency of its neighbors (primarily Russia), Poland would be carved up in the aftermaths of a series of wars about a century later. Which probably could be paraphrased with another variation of that famous line by Caesar: "Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt."

And I don't enjoy this aspect of Polish history, as I have some Polish heritage. But it provides a historical lesson as how to not structure a central government.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric

Thread Information