Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading in a car

Load Metric

Trading in a car

Going to be trading my Lexus in. Should I fix the body damage first, or just go as is?

Comments

sonatine: request sent

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide King View Post
    Going to be trading my Lexus in. Should I fix the body damage first, or just go as is?

What do you think the trade in value of the car is?

Load Metric
    Just go off blue book value right?

Banned
    Load Metric

If the trade in value of the car is less than 10k. leave the body work, unless you think you can get your insurance to fix it

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

If the trade in value of the car is less than 10k. leave the body work, unless you think you can get your insurance to fix it
    $10940 is fair market blue book. Mine is good because it has a factory rebuilt engine with 30k on it. Problem with piston rings got me a rebuild at 85k

Banned
    Load Metric

$10940 is fair market blue book. Mine is good because it has a factory rebuilt engine with 30k on it. Problem with piston rings got me a rebuild at 85k

I say this with utmost respect. Bring lube. They are never going to give you more than they can sell it for at a wholesale auction.

Load Metric

I say this with utmost respect. Bring lube. They are never going to give you more than they can sell it for at a wholesale auction.
    I might just post it and try to sell myself. Just more hassle. I don't want to walk in and they offer me 5k.

Comments

The_Lurker: thats what gunna happen

LEVEL ACCOUNT: If blue book is 10,900 then they will offer you somewhere close to 3500-4K

Load Metric
    Take it to CarMax and see what they will offer. You'll have a better idea of what you should do from there. Dealer won't give you anything and will be wholesaling that shit like another poster said. Most dealers offer the lowest blue book less a certain percentage.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Is 10k the private party.....trade in value....what?

And how much damage is there?

Comments

Suicide King: Kbb.com

Load Metric
    Post a pic of said shitbox

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Post a pic of said shitbox
    Post later. Needs a new front bumper and scrape on rear fender.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Take it to CarMax and see what they will offer. You'll have a better idea of what you should do from there. Dealer won't give you anything and will be wholesaling that shit like another poster said. Most dealers offer the lowest blue book less a certain percentage.
    Carmax sucks ass. They will not give you anything close to Blue Book value. They prey on the stupid. Don't waste your time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Carmax sucks ass. They will not give you anything close to Blue Book value. They prey on the stupid. Don't waste your time.
    I've had a different experience and if you don't want to hassle with a private party they serve a purpose. They also set a benchmark for trade in value so that when you go to the dealer and they try to screw you, you can present a verifiable value that someone is willing to pay.

I've gotten 2 good deals from CarMax and while that isn't everyone's experience, you can use them for your negotiation.

Load Metric
    I've had a different experience and if you don't want to hassle with a private party they serve a purpose. They also set a benchmark for trade in value so that when you go to the dealer and they try to screw you, you can present a verifiable value that someone is willing to pay.

I've gotten 2 good deals from CarMax and while that isn't everyone's experience, you can use them for your negotiation.
    General CarMax rules

If it's an auction car, fuck CarMax.
    If they can sell it, fuck yea CarMax.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

If it's an auction car, fuck CarMax.
    If they can sell it, fuck yea CarMax.
    this

When I got rid of my last car, I tried Car Max. It was a 02 Hyundai Sonata, at the time the bluebook was 2.4k

They wasted my time and offered me 700 dollars because they auctioned cars over 10 years old and this was 2013 so mine was 11 years old

I wasn't expecting 2400 at all but jesus christ, 700? There was no haggling either. I just traded it in to another dealership and got 1.5k towards my next car (Lamborghini Diablo)

Comments

lewfather: lamboooo

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Do not go to Carmax. They will waste your time.

http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...ax-trip-report

Do not trade it in. You will get waaaaaaaaay underpaid.

If you don't want to hassle extracting top $ private party, put it on Craigslist at $1000 under blue book and you will get inundated with responses, and will do way better than the dealer would ever give you (or Carmax).

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Sorry but this^ is bullshit. Carmax has a price match/beat policy on cars... They will beat all other dealership offers. They always paid more than the 4 dealerships I worked at and we would always tell people to sell their cars to car max if they didn't like our price. Dealerships go by wholesale auction black book prices while Carmax goes by retail price minus whatever that certain store wants for a profit. They also do a lot to add value to used cars like warrentys, aftermarket Bluetooth, stereos, and stuff like that. Another thing is since they have a nationwide network of dealerships they have the ability to send vehicles to other Carmax stores where the market pays more for certain vehicles and to top it all off they only sell USED vehicles where the margin is much better for them giving them much more room to work with compared to a new car dealer. Carmax is by far the best dealership to sell your car too and 95% of the time their first offer will be better than the final offer of most dealerships.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LEVEL ACCOUNT View Post
    Sorry but this^ is bullshit. Carmax has a price match/beat policy on cars... They will beat all other dealership offers. They always paid more than the 4 dealerships I worked at and we would always tell people to sell their cars to car max if they didn't like our price. Dealerships go by wholesale auction black book prices while Carmax goes by retail price minus whatever that certain store wants for a profit. They also do a lot to add value to used cars like warrentys, aftermarket Bluetooth, stereos, and stuff like that. Another thing is since they have a nationwide network of dealerships they have the ability to send vehicles to other Carmax stores where the market pays more for certain vehicles and to top it all off they only sell USED vehicles where the margin is much better for them giving them much more room to work with compared to a new car dealer. Carmax is by far the best dealership to sell your car too and 95% of the time their first offer will be better than the final offer of most dealerships.
    They offered me $3000 on a vehicle which I could trade in for $5000 and I ended up selling for well over $6500 private party.

Carmax = joke

It is for idiots who either know nothing about selling cars, or need cash quickly and are too stupid to realize they would have a line of people outside their door to give them cash for a much higher private party price.

Comments

Jayjami: My thoughts exactly.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LEVEL ACCOUNT View Post

They offered me $3000 on a vehicle which I could trade in for $5000 and I ended up selling for well over $6500 private party.

Carmax = joke

It is for idiots who either know nothing about selling cars, or need cash quickly and are too stupid to realize they would have a line of people outside their door to give them cash for a much higher private party price.
    Again Cars they are going to send to auction are a horrible deal.

CarMax loves one owner Luxury leases usually, they will give you fair or above fair trade in on 1 to 2 year old vehicles like this.

Load Metric
    If you're going to sell or trade in a car, why not take 30 minutes to get their quote? It's a tool you can use.

FTR the 2 cars I have sold them almost assuredly were resold by CarMax and not auctioned to a "we finance anyone se habla espanol lot"

Thread Information