Thread: Bovada Collections

Load Metric

Bovada Collections

Bovada has a third party company sending me emails threatening to send me to collections over a $500 charge back from late last year. Any idea if this is legal for them to do so? When I called the broad on the phone, she was a total cunt. She never said the usual "this is an attempt to collect a debt" speech that normally accompanies a collection call. It makes me think it's just a scare tactic. I can't find any real evidence online of anyone being reported to the credit bureaus from an offshore online gambling website but you never know right? I also can't remember if I gave them my ssn when signing up a while ago. I've talked to some people with some knowledge on the topic and they all say I have nothing to worry about. Anyone know what the play here is?

Comments

sah_24: Losing poker players that charge back to legit sites . . .

Albuquerque's #1 Attorney Alvin Finklestein's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Hello Mr. Standard.

It is legal to send any debt to a collection agency.

However, in this case the collection agency has very little power. It is unlikely Bovada has your social security number, and thus it will be difficult or impossible to put this on your credit.

The collection agent is not someone you can reason with. They bought this debt at a fraction of its value, and are only interested in your money. They do not care about your individual situation or whether you really owe the money.

Next time the collection agent calls you, instruct them that this is a matter related to an illegally operating foreign gambling site, and is no more a valid debt than one to a drug dealer. Inform them that they must stop calling you, and threaten to call the police if they continue.

Just in case, you may want to check your credit in a few months by visiting http://www.annualcreditreport.com, which is free.

If you see anything on there that shouldn't be, simply write to the appropriate credit agency and they will remove the item. In this case, you would simply state that an illegal offshore website fraudulently charged you and tried to extort money out of you via a shady collections agency.

However, it is unlikely to appear on your credit.

On a related note, I would advise against charging back to Bovada, as you will be banned for it. As they are likely to be the best poker option in the US for the foreseeable future, you do not want to burn that bridge.

However, if you wish to make amends with them, do it with Bovada itself, and not this slimy collection agent, and only agree to do so if they unban you.

Comments

The_Standard: Ty m8

MumblesBadly: Good work, Mr. Finkelstein!

4Dragons: Alvin

Load Metric
    Alvin do you know if they ask for your ssn when signing up for a real money account on Bovada? I can't remember......

Albuquerque's #1 Attorney Alvin Finklestein's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Standard View Post
    Alvin do you know if they ask for your ssn when signing up for a real money account on Bovada? I can't remember......
    I don't believe they do.

You can test this right now by simply going to Bovada and signing up for a phony account.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin Finklestein View Post
    Hello Mr. Standard.

It is legal to send any debt to a collection agency.

However, in this case the collection agency has very little power. It is unlikely Bovada has your social security number, and thus it will be difficult or impossible to put this on your credit.

The collection agent is not someone you can reason with. They bought this debt at a fraction of its value, and are only interested in your money. They do not care about your individual situation or whether you really owe the money.

Next time the collection agent calls you, instruct them that this is a matter related to an illegally operating foreign gambling site, and is no more a valid debt than one to a drug dealer. Inform them that they must stop calling you, and threaten to call the police if they continue.

Just in case, you may want to check your credit in a few months by visiting http://www.annualcreditreport.com, which is free.

If you see anything on there that shouldn't be, simply write to the appropriate credit agency and they will remove the item. In this case, you would simply state that an illegal offshore website fraudulently charged you and tried to extort money out of you via a shady collections agency.

However, it is unlikely to appear on your credit.

On a related note, I would advise against charging back to Bovada, as you will be banned for it. As they are likely to be the best poker option in the US for the foreseeable future, you do not want to burn that bridge.

However, if you wish to make amends with them, do it with Bovada itself, and not this slimy collection agent, and only agree to do so if they unban you.
    This, plus repeat "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" whenever you get a chance. This "debt" is not collectable, how would they ever prove it? So your only concern is a credit entry, which is where you must threaten the collection agency with a lawsuit under the fair debt collection practices act. Anytime I have had a consumer dispute and I pull that one out it always goes away.

Comments

The_Standard: Good information

Load Metric
    Todd is God

Load Metric
    pilfering grapes. Alvin FINKLESTIEN for president.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Feels like a Yebsite redux.

this has brightened my day

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Fuck this Yebsite wannabe , all losing players who charge back after punting are n-words . . .

Comments

The_Standard: Thank you for your input.

Mintjewlips: kinda hard to disagree with

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

It reminded me of handicapme's thread. Any updates on the chargeback?

http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...icapme+cheated

You take a group of guys who are being DFS on most sites but are losers on another. They take it upon themselves to think there is a remote chance they are being cheated and chargeback cc deposits.

Reminders of how easy this was back 10+ yrs ago. Likely could have got away with 50k of chargebacks and put a down payment on a house using that money.

Comments

handicapme: Got me!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

It reminded me of handicapme's thread. Any updates on the chargeback?

http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...icapme+cheated

You take a group of guys who are being DFS on most sites but are losers on another. They take it upon themselves to think there is a remote chance they are being cheated and chargeback cc deposits.

Reminders of how easy this was back 10+ yrs ago. Likely could have got away with 50k of chargebacks and put a down payment on a house using that money.

I actually am in the process of buying a house this year.......

Platinum
    Load Metric
    You can check CreditKarma every 7 days and that site is GOD for keeping tabs on things.

Load Metric
    Bovada has a third party company sending me emails threatening to send me to collections over a $500 charge back from late last year. Any idea if this is legal for them to do so? When I called the broad on the phone, she was a total cunt. She never said the usual "this is an attempt to collect a debt" speech that normally accompanies a collection call. It makes me think it's just a scare tactic. I can't find any real evidence online of anyone being reported to the credit bureaus from an offshore online gambling website but you never know right? I also can't remember if I gave them my ssn when signing up a while ago. I've talked to some people with some knowledge on the topic and they all say I have nothing to worry about. Anyone know what the play here is?
    If you don't pay they will send someone to bash your head in with a baseball bat. Hope it was worth the 500.

Comments

The_Standard: Have another drink brov

Banned
    Load Metric
    yes bovada asks for a ssn

Load Metric
    Dan Druff says nah lewpubes says yah......not sure whom to believe...... Life goes on.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dan Druff says nah lewpubes says yah......not sure whom to believe...... Life goes on.
    I set up my account in 2005, so that's why I don't remember.

In fact, it might have been different back then.

Just try it yourself right now and see.

Load Metric
    I will when I get home. Either way I'll dispute the fuck out of any derogatory reporting on my CR. Fuck em.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Hey Standard,

Sent you a PM also. Just wondered what ever happened with this? Was the company called Sterling Rothman? Had a same issue where I had a fraudulent charge from Bovada. My bank reversed it. Got an email from this company months later threatening me etc. Going to ruin my credit and all that. I asked them to validate my debt and send me the info they have proving I owe it. They refused and said they will only speak to a lawyer. I know for a fact that they legally have to provide this info. I traced their email IP address to Canada and their website ip to Iceland. I think it's bogus. Their website doesn't lost an address either, just a phone and email. Was just wondering if this is the company and if they touched your credit.

Thanks!

Thread Information