Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 121 to 137 of 137

Thread: So what happens to Vegas once Lake Mead dries up?

  1. #121
    Diamond TheXFactor's Avatar
    Reputation
    1157
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,486
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeCaboom View Post
    I didn't say to build a desalination plant in the desert, I said that Nevada can buy some of CA's water rights by helping them pay for a desalination plant on the Pacific coast.
    Yes, municipal water supplies return their waste water to the rivers/lakes/oceans after it was been cleaned and treated.
    Very unlikely. If Lake Mead runs dry and Central California no longer receives that 80% of the water, they are going to be so fucking pissed off. It would take ten desalination plants to replace Lake Mead. California doesn't need or want money from Nevada. California needs and wants ALL THE FUCKING WATER.

    Nevada is still FUCKED.


  2. #122
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    8068
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,573
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Yeah it looks like desalination plants are in California's near future.

    However, we need to take a lesson from 1991 -- the last time this was being discussed. The drought wasn't as severe as now, but certain areas such as Santa Barbara were really struggling. However, two big back-to-back storms fixed the entire thing in March of that year, and everything was suddenly okay.

    Due to runoff from hills/mountains, one storm saturating the ground, and another right behind it causing massive runoff can fill reservoirs very quickly. That was overlooked in 1991, and it might be overlooked right now. A few big back-to-back storms at the right time in the winter, and we might be BACK.

  3. #123
    Plutonium sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    6901
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    31,318
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yeah it looks like desalination plants are in California's near future.

    However, we need to take a lesson from 1991 -- the last time this was being discussed. The drought wasn't as severe as now, but certain areas such as Santa Barbara were really struggling. However, two big back-to-back storms fixed the entire thing in March of that year, and everything was suddenly okay.

    Due to runoff from hills/mountains, one storm saturating the ground, and another right behind it causing massive runoff can fill reservoirs very quickly. That was overlooked in 1991, and it might be overlooked right now. A few big back-to-back storms at the right time in the winter, and we might be BACK.

    100% plausible, at least in terms of short term relief. but without that snowpack, its going to be a dead cat bounce situation if this is a global warming related macro trend towards a dryer west/southwest.

    in any case, i think cali is staring into the abyss right now and has the capital and political homogeny necessary to implement something like desalinization. but of course, no one can afford another crescent dunes debacle.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  4. #124
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    3480
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17,556
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yeah it looks like desalination plants are in California's near future.

    However, we need to take a lesson from 1991 -- the last time this was being discussed. The drought wasn't as severe as now, but certain areas such as Santa Barbara were really struggling. However, two big back-to-back storms fixed the entire thing in March of that year, and everything was suddenly okay.

    Due to runoff from hills/mountains, one storm saturating the ground, and another right behind it causing massive runoff can fill reservoirs very quickly. That was overlooked in 1991, and it might be overlooked right now. A few big back-to-back storms at the right time in the winter, and we might be BACK.

    100% plausible, at least in terms of short term relief. but without that snowpack, its going to be a dead cat bounce situation if this is a global warming related macro trend towards a dryer west/southwest.

    in any case, i think cali is staring into the abyss right now and has the capital and political homogeny necessary to implement something like desalinization. but of course, no one can afford another crescent dunes debacle.
    Saudi Arabia has zero surface water but unlimited cheap energy. They have some of the highest per capita water use in the world.

    Cali can’t keep pulling water out of the ground or the whole state might become a sinkhole - in before someone says it already is.

    The Ukraine deal isn’t gonna resolve itself soon. You well know the dwindling reserves elsewhere.

    Germany rues the day they got all sensitive and about nuclear and closed their plants. Germany’s current regret marks a landmark turn in energy imo. California can have all the fresh water desalinization plants they want after they commit to nuclear power.

    Capital and political homogeny? Idk but they float some bonds and someone bails them out in a decade or so. Cali can now charge all those electric vehicles too now that everyone is subsidizing EV (Musk) with money no government has. Air conditioners can continue to run in ever increasing heat.

    Buy some UEC @ 3.25/share. Beautiful 10% pop today. Debt free balance sheet. Lotta cash. I hate the term but it’s an asymmetrical trade. Buy some for other Sonatine of the future. I suspect he’ll thank you later.

  5. #125
    Diamond TheXFactor's Avatar
    Reputation
    1157
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,486
    Load Metric
    14394516
    California is already a giant sinkhole.







     
    Comments
      
      The Boz: You spelled shithole wrong.

  6. #126
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    3480
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17,556
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post


    100% plausible, at least in terms of short term relief. but without that snowpack, its going to be a dead cat bounce situation if this is a global warming related macro trend towards a dryer west/southwest.

    in any case, i think cali is staring into the abyss right now and has the capital and political homogeny necessary to implement something like desalinization. but of course, no one can afford another crescent dunes debacle.
    Saudi Arabia has zero surface water but unlimited cheap energy. They have some of the highest per capita water use in the world. They are all about desalinization.

    Cali canít keep pulling water out of the ground or the whole state might become a sinkhole - in before someone says it already is.

    The Ukraine deal isnít gonna resolve itself soon. You well know the dwindling reserves elsewhere.

    Germany rues the day they got all sensitive and about nuclear and closed their plants. Germanyís current regret marks a landmark turn in energy imo. California can have all the fresh water desalinization plants they want after they commit to nuclear power.

    Capital and political homogeny? Idk but they float some bonds and someone bails them out in a decade or so. Cali can now charge all those electric vehicles too now that everyone is subsidizing EV (Musk) with money no government has. Air conditioners can continue to run in ever increasing heat.

    Buy some UEC @ 3.25/share. Beautiful 10% pop today. Debt free balance sheet. Lotta cash. I hate the term but itís an asymmetrical trade. Buy some for other Sonatine of the future. I suspect heíll thank you later.

  7. #127
    Diamond Tellafriend's Avatar
    Reputation
    1010
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,416
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post


    100% plausible, at least in terms of short term relief. but without that snowpack, its going to be a dead cat bounce situation if this is a global warming related macro trend towards a dryer west/southwest.

    in any case, i think cali is staring into the abyss right now and has the capital and political homogeny necessary to implement something like desalinization. but of course, no one can afford another crescent dunes debacle.
    Saudi Arabia has zero surface water but unlimited cheap energy. They have some of the highest per capita water use in the world.

    Cali canít keep pulling water out of the ground or the whole state might become a sinkhole - in before someone says it already is.

    The Ukraine deal isnít gonna resolve itself soon. You well know the dwindling reserves elsewhere.

    Germany rues the day they got all sensitive and about nuclear and closed their plants. Germanyís current regret marks a landmark turn in energy imo. California can have all the fresh water desalinization plants they want after they commit to nuclear power.

    Capital and political homogeny? Idk but they float some bonds and someone bails them out in a decade or so. Cali can now charge all those electric vehicles too now that everyone is subsidizing EV (Musk) with money no government has. Air conditioners can continue to run in ever increasing heat.

    Buy some UEC @ 3.25/share. Beautiful 10% pop today. Debt free balance sheet. Lotta cash. I hate the term but itís an asymmetrical trade. Buy some for other Sonatine of the future. I suspect heíll thank you later.

    Lol, been buying URNM over the last couple of months.
    he tries to fly under the radar with his gay big words - Big Bird

  8. #128
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    3480
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17,556
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

    Saudi Arabia has zero surface water but unlimited cheap energy. They have some of the highest per capita water use in the world.

    Cali canít keep pulling water out of the ground or the whole state might become a sinkhole - in before someone says it already is.

    The Ukraine deal isnít gonna resolve itself soon. You well know the dwindling reserves elsewhere.

    Germany rues the day they got all sensitive and about nuclear and closed their plants. Germanyís current regret marks a landmark turn in energy imo. California can have all the fresh water desalinization plants they want after they commit to nuclear power.

    Capital and political homogeny? Idk but they float some bonds and someone bails them out in a decade or so. Cali can now charge all those electric vehicles too now that everyone is subsidizing EV (Musk) with money no government has. Air conditioners can continue to run in ever increasing heat.

    Buy some UEC @ 3.25/share. Beautiful 10% pop today. Debt free balance sheet. Lotta cash. I hate the term but itís an asymmetrical trade. Buy some for other Sonatine of the future. I suspect heíll thank you later.

    Lol, been buying URNM over the last couple of months.
    We have been living parallel lives past year.

    Im seeing things very clearly. So farÖ.

  9. #129
    Platinum devidee's Avatar
    Reputation
    781
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,572
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Name:  BA0D3870-5B5C-43A4-A8A1-5E1357E33D5A.jpeg
Views: 209
Size:  128.9 KB

  10. #130
    Platinum devidee's Avatar
    Reputation
    781
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,572
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Flash floods in Vegas right now.

  11. #131
    Platinum
    Reputation
    979
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,095
    Load Metric
    14394516

  12. #132
    Bronze some user's Avatar
    Reputation
    53
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    106
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Golf courses located in the desert need to be maintained at all costs. AT ALL COSTS.

  13. #133
    Diamond TheXFactor's Avatar
    Reputation
    1157
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,486
    Load Metric
    14394516

     
    Comments
      
      sonatine: incredible

  14. #134
    Platinum devidee's Avatar
    Reputation
    781
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,572
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Stupid people take these articles seriouslyÖ

    Name:  8B767C77-0C3D-4EC6-B2AD-7064EF759CD5.jpeg
Views: 127
Size:  162.0 KB

  15. #135
    Platinum devidee's Avatar
    Reputation
    781
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,572
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Name:  1EC8AC72-74FB-482B-B4C1-AEBA6E2629E6.jpeg
Views: 87
Size:  104.1 KB

  16. #136
    Platinum
    Reputation
    317
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,787
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Bodies popping up left and right still

    https://nypost.com/2022/08/07/fourth...it-record-low/

  17. #137
    Platinum devidee's Avatar
    Reputation
    781
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,572
    Load Metric
    14394516
    Name:  4E72F1CB-99EA-4D0F-ACAF-2F214A479721.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  869.3 KB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Emerson of Emerson Lake and Palmer is Donkdown
    By Ryback_feed_me_more in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2016, 08:00 PM
  2. lewfather you okay? Man found walking across frozen lake
    By simpdog in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2015, 01:42 PM
  3. What happens in Vegas....
    By sonatine in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 09:33 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 12:47 AM
  5. Long Article on the Future of Online Poker From The Las Vegas Sun/Vegas Inc.
    By bukowski72 in forum Poker Community Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM