Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: So what happens to Vegas once Lake Mead dries up?

Load Metric
    Someone should close the hole in the ozone layer.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Was considering going down there and exploring for myself, but it's too damn hot in June/July.

Might go back in September and do a little day trip over to Mead, and maybe video a few things for PFA.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    75% gone.

This video is frightening

Load Metric
    https://news.yahoo.com/sounded-alarm...120017201.html

in 2008, climate scientists started to openly predict that without major reforms to our water narrative in the southwest, the civilization we have built there will not be sustainable.

what we are seeing is the predicted outcome from a wholesale refusal to adapt to scientific findings by parties defending water allocation policies written generations ago and by politicians being paid to ignore the problem by those parties.

sound familiar?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Thats what happens when millions of people live in a DESERT and expect to be sustained by a MANMADE lake.

Comments

tigerpiper: I agree with you on little else, but this
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric

in 2008, climate scientists started to openly predict that without major reforms to our water narrative in the southwest, the civilization we have built there will not be sustainable.

what we are seeing is the predicted outcome from a wholesale refusal to adapt to scientific findings by parties defending water allocation policies written generations ago and by politicians being paid to ignore the problem by those parties.

sound familiar?

Way before 2008. I can legit remember a bunch of scientists on tv standing next to the Colorado River in the early nineties saying this shit is unsustainable given like 8 states all feed off it to varying degrees. They were already getting way less melt then from the lesser snowfalls.

I loved the Bellagio fountains and golfed every day, so it isn’t like I was part of the solution, but human nature is such that no one is going to alter anything until it’s almost too late.

Load Metric
    Name:  9BBEC7B2-A8F3-4ACE-B5C7-43819C39B696.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  55.3 KB

Load Metric
    Name:  F7D30B6F-2F7E-45CA-B646-4130314C4FB8.jpeg
Views: 333
Size:  203.0 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

sound familiar?

Way before 2008. I can legit remember a bunch of scientists on tv standing next to the Colorado River in the early nineties saying this shit is unsustainable given like 8 states all feed off it to varying degrees. They were already getting way less melt then from the lesser snowfalls.

I loved the Bellagio fountains and golfed every day, so it isn’t like I was part of the solution, but human nature is such that no one is going to alter anything until it’s almost too late.
    speaking of which, heres a 2012 gov doc that sheds a lot of light on where the water is actually going.

https://www.usbr.gov/watersmart/bsp/...mary_FINAL.pdf

40m people and 5.5 million acres of farmland rely on that river for water.

and thats just here in the states, its also essential to mexico. whom im going to go out on a limb and say are _fucked_ without it.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is all expected. The dry season in the southwestern US is from April to October. Every single year.

So if the water level is already in trouble in April, expect it to look really bad in October. We're halfway there, perhaps a bit more.

The big question is what type of rain/snow season we will have in the 22-23 "wet" season. If November-March is a fail for precipitation, there's going to have to be some uncomfortable conversations about what to do about this situation.

Until then, we can only watch it drop.

Load Metric
    i havent checked the snowpack news lately, but im going to go out on a limb and say the news probably isnt good.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 9.32.10 AM.png
Views: 286
Size:  29.9 KB

1067 -> 1066 1 ft
    1066 -> 1061 5 ft
    1061 -> 1054 7 ft
    1054 -> 1047 7 ft
    1047 -> 1043 4 ft

pretty sick rate of decline there, per your dry season comment.

im guessing we can expect another -15' by november.

but of course none of this is a useful way to measure the real threat of the whole thing going bone fucking dry, because lake mead isnt a cylinder; there is an asymmetrical increase in water level drop rate as the volume of water decreases.

if it takes X joules of energy to evaporate 5' of water from lake mead from 1000' to 995', the next X joules of energy spent can take 10' of water or more, depending on how shallow the slope of the walls containing the water are.

and the easiest way to forecast that decline would be to plot the *volume* of lake mead, not the height.

and the fact that i cant find accurate volume data but can find a dozen different sources for height is actually kind of alarming.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Thats what happens when millions of people live in a DESERT and expect to be sustained by a MANMADE lake.
    Well, when the more suitable places for human existance all look like this, the desert doesn't look so bad.

Name:  37619366-9114059-image-a-34_1609842721164.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  195.5 KB

Comments

devidee: But that’s where all the ‘smart’ people live!!
    Last edited by Kalam; 07-21-2022 at 06:03 AM.

Load Metric
    Goodbye Las Vegas.

If you go to Las Vegas in the future, that water your drinking?

It's recycled piss.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    It's an artificial lake. Did its absence mean global warming before it existed? Of course not.

Do you know what a dam does? It releases water downstream to make electricity and do other shit. It also affects the level of the lake.

I totally agree that there is manmade global climate change, but the level of a manmade lake controlled by a dam, is not evidence of it.

It's like animal rights people advocating for wild horses in North Carolina. Sure, they're cute, but they're an alien invasive species. Kill them all. Not the animal rights people, of course, or the North Carolinians.

Load Metric
    Look if the water level at Lake Mead falls to 875 feet it becomes worthless as a dam.

Lake Mead will lose another 20 feet this year.

Do not buy a house in the Las Vegas area.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I own some land in Henderson we bought years ago that we had planned on moving to so I'm keeping an eye on this "Lake Mead water level" story in the news and a few Youtube vloggers.

My take on it is this:
    Las Vegas currently has a claim of 4.4% of the water rights in the reservoir.

Even if the lake continues to drop, the Nevada allotment would not likely be reduced by very much, and Las Vegas currently returns 95% of the water it uses from the lake back to the lake. Although I can't currently find it, I did read that Nevada does not currently use its entire allotment (I hope the is still true).

Agriculture in CA and AZ sucks up the majority of the water and would likely be reduced by the folks that manage the water rights agreement before residential water users are cut.

Even if the lake continues to go lower until there is true risk to the population, Nevada can buy extra water rights from CA in exchange for helping to pay for a desalination plant in CA and then be able to continue to suck water out of the lake.

The Colorado river is still a river.

I believe that water will still be available for household use, it may be more expensive, but when someone opens the tap at their kitchen sink, water will be there.
    There are quite a few places where water is just not available other than desalination (Saudi Arabia has been running on desalination since the 50's), the southwestern states can do this to if we are willing to pay for it.
    Last edited by DukeCaboom; 07-23-2022 at 01:51 AM. Reason: edited for grammar

Load Metric
    They are NOT going to run desalination plants out in the middle of the fucking desert.

Southern Nevada is doomed. They had a chance to build a huge multi-billion dollar pipeline from the middle of the state years ago but a couple of ranchers objected. Now Las Vegas is fucked.

Get used to drinking recycled urine.

Lake Mead will run dry very soon.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeCaboom View Post
    I believe that water will still be available for household use, it may be more expensive, but when someone opens the tap at their kitchen sink, water will be there.

anyone who has ever dealt with utilities in vegas had the hairs on the back of their neck standing up after reading this sentence.

one missed payment and your faucets are going to be coin operated.

fucking book it.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    They are NOT going to run desalination plants out in the middle of the fucking desert.

Southern Nevada is doomed. They had a chance to build a huge multi-billion dollar pipeline from the middle of the state years ago but a couple of ranchers objected. Now Las Vegas is fucked.

Get used to drinking recycled urine.

Lake Mead will run dry very soon.
    [/IMG]
    I didn't say to build a desalination plant in the desert, I said that Nevada can buy some of CA's water rights by helping them pay for a desalination plant on the Pacific coast.
    Yes, municipal water supplies return their waste water to the rivers/lakes/oceans after it was been cleaned and treated.

Thread Information