Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: So what happens to Vegas once Lake Mead dries up?

Load Metric
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/of...er/ar-AA14Moga

new eta for the turbines to shut down:

july.

Comments

devidee: It’s nice to see that clickbait is still a thing.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Seems to me this should be a much larger story than it is.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Seems to me this should be a much larger story than it is.

nah bro its all a hoax i hear.

Comments

splitthis: No hoax, don’t live in DESERT

country978:

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    so a second order effect of this is that its going to impact hundreds of thousands of houses south of the dam, in particular those that are currently being constructed and were approved based on the availability of water that simply might not be there when they are complete.

https://phys.org/news/2022-12-arizon...is-stokes.html

PFA trigger warning: phys.org is a science website.

Comments

OK2: PFA trigger warning: phys.org is a science website - Embarrassing narcissism

Sanlmar: c’mon ok - interesting article

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    so a second order effect of this is that its going to impact hundreds of thousands of houses south of the dam, in particular those that are currently being constructed and were approved based on the availability of water that simply might not be there when they are complete.

https://phys.org/news/2022-12-arizon...is-stokes.html

PFA trigger warning: phys.org is a science website.
    Teravalis - 100,000 homes on 37,000 acres ….. and they just broke ground … smelled like a Blackrock fiasco at first.

Also
    The Howard Hughes Corporation

Forget the water for a moment, I didn’t know how crazy popular Arizona was and the insane growth.

splitthis: No hoax, don’t live in DESERT
    The immortal Sam Kinison

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Forget the water for a moment, I didn’t know how crazy popular Arizona was and the insane growth.
    arizona is such a weird ass real estate wild card. there was this insane show about this group of flippers who would show up at house auctions and mayhem ensues etc etc, think 'storage wars' but houses.

and lo and behold i think all the property auctions that got filmed were in arizona.

also, weirdly, about 8-10 years ago i had a bunch very, very financially secure friends (who didnt actually know each other) start to openly flirt with moving to arizona. and to their credit you can live in a cartel mansion caliber spread in AZ for like 800k or so, pre-covid, and still be within a 30 minute drive to a legit michelin star restaurant.

and needless to say none of them ever followed through because lol fuck living in arizona holy shit but i got the allure.

you know, until the watershed feeding all these properties basically ran dry.

pretty intense crossroads we find ourselves at. behind door #1 we have private sector water delivery as a utility to something like a million+ souls and counting so long as they dont fall behind on their payments, and door #2 is demolish hoover dam, build a nuke plant out by henderson, and tell farmers to fuck themselves or adapt to austerity quotas.

i mean, its america so we know which solution to long here (sorry souls).

shout out to michael burry.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

arizona is such a weird ass real estate wild card. there was this insane show about this group of flippers who would show up at house auctions and mayhem ensues etc etc, think 'storage wars' but houses.

and lo and behold i think all the property auctions that got filmed were in arizona.

also, weirdly, about 8-10 years ago i had a bunch very, very financially secure friends (who didnt actually know each other) start to openly flirt with moving to arizona. and to their credit you can live in a cartel mansion caliber spread in AZ for like 800k or so, pre-covid, and still be within a 30 minute drive to a legit michelin star restaurant.

and needless to say none of them ever followed through because lol fuck living in arizona holy shit but i got the allure.

you know, until the watershed feeding all these properties basically ran dry.

pretty intense crossroads we find ourselves at. behind door #1 we have private sector water delivery as a utility to something like a million+ souls and counting so long as they dont fall behind on their payments, and door #2 is demolish hoover dam, build a nuke plant out by henderson, and tell farmers to fuck themselves or adapt to austerity quotas.

i mean, its america so we know which solution to long here (sorry souls).

shout out to michael burry.
    Arizona is a weird state. I know a lot about Arizona, despite never having lived there. I'm not really a big fan of the place.

The area being discussed in the article is Buckeye, which is west of Phoenix, along the 10. There is a huge wasteland of nothingness going west on the 10 from Phoenix, and you don't really get to any real civilization until you cross the border into Blythe, CA, about 120 miles away.

Finally it was realized that a lot of money was being left on the table. Why not develop the desert wastelands sitting outside of Phoenix, if you could entice residents by showing that it's a 30-45 minute drive to downtown Phoenix?

That's exactly what's going on there. The only limitation is the water. Greater Phoenix already has about 5 million people, and it's been growing each year. The land in the outlying areas can be bought relatively cheaply. Now that the water squeeze is coming, this can wreck that entire business model.

A lot will depend upon the snowpack which builds this winter. So far the snowpack is looking mediocre in the Rockies, which mostly feeds the Colorado River. But there's a long way to go.

At least California is looking somewhat better, as the Sierras have had a great December snowfall-wise, and more will be falling in the next 10 days, including right now.

Load Metric
    LOL at Buckeye planned development. In the Phoenix area a shooting is called a "Buckeye divorce."
    POKER FAG ALERT! FOR BLOW JOB SEE SLOPPY JOE THE TRANNIE HO.

Load Metric
    I can see myself getting a place in Sedona

Silver
    Load Metric
    I can see myself getting a place in Sedona
    Sedona rocks.

Anything decent is a million plus.

Load Metric
    Final jeopardy question guessed from here.

Load Metric
    for the record i was considering moving back to vegas maybe three or four years back and told brandon i was going to back burner it because i didnt see any way for vegas to avoid water rationing in the not so distant future.

https://www.arcamax.com/currentnews/...ines/s-2815239

Load Metric

Comments

Sanlmar: Cue Sam Kineson

Load Metric
    Name:  Screenshot_20230522_140113.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  153.6 KB

nice propaganda rag

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_20230522_140113.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  153.6 KB

nice propaganda rag
    but the Biden reparations money …. It’s funny but a federal billion just doesn’t matter any more. Let it rain.

Load Metric
    Yeah, I know, it's barely 10 feet higher than last year's all-time low, but, REVERSE DEATH CROSS ACHIEVED. Thank you storms/winter snow pack melt...

Name:  lake mead level today.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  235.1 KB

https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp

Load Metric
    JacobslifeinVegas had a recent video that's kinda informative:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Unfortunately Lake Mead did not benefit much for the massive California winter, which dumped a lot of rain and snow all over the state.

These storms did not make it east, and thus the Rockies -- which primarily feed Lake Mead -- did not have a good year.

In the meantime, California reservoirs overflowed and spilled over (a huge fail, by the way, as the state needs to save all the water it can for future drought years), and the melting snow from the Sierras should keep the state with plenty of water during the predictably dry May-October span.

Mammoth Mountain, in the Sierras, got a whopping 715 inches of snow this season, and still has a 148 inch base in late May. This will be one of those years where the mountain have enough snow to ski through August, and you'll still see snow in patches on the mountain until the November 2023 snows start up again.

It makes sense that California will forego some of the water they're getting from the Colorado River. The other states? Not gonna be so easy.

Comments

Forum Wars: Thanks. I just learned there actually was a heavy snow melt from the Colorado Rockies too this year, and the High Flow experiment thingy is why Lake Powell is currently helping Lake Mead fill up (they are continuing it too).

Load Metric
    Update-

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...26ac2654&ei=13

Lake Mead's water levels are changing at an impressive rate not seen during January for more than five years.

After years of drought, Lake Mead, which is in Nevada and Arizona, reached drastically low levels in the summer of 2022. However, water levels have since started to recover because of above-average precipitation and snowpack that melted last year and various storms that supplemented the levels throughout the summer. Typically, Lake Mead's water levels stall, or the increase slows, during the winter months, but a graph shows that isn't the case this year.

On Monday, Lake Mead water levels were marked at more than 1,070 feet. The lake surpassed 2022 levels last May and blew past 2021 levels in December. The lake still has a long way to go before it's recovered completely, as full pool is measured at 1,229 feet. But a graph by Lakesonline.com shows there's good news for the reservoir: Water levels have jumped more than 2 feet in the two weeks since January 1, a rate of increase not seen since 2019.

Thread Information