Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 137

Thread: So what happens to Vegas once Lake Mead dries up?

  1. #1
    Plutonium sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    6901
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    31,318
    Load Metric
    14393747

    So what happens to Vegas once Lake Mead dries up?

    Because seriously that train is pulling into the station any minute now.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  2. #2
    Banned
    Reputation
    679
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    M.C.E.C.W.C.
    Posts
    1,993
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Because seriously that train is pulling into the station any minute now.

    The long term management of the Colorado river is definitive proof that mankind is doomed.

  3. #3
    Gold Shizzmoney's Avatar
    Reputation
    456
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,447
    Blog Entries
    1
    Load Metric
    14393747
    They replace it with a hologram of a Lake. The opening concert will be a hologram of Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Tupac doing a cover of the song "Changes"

     
    Comments
      
      MumblesBadly: Virtual reality is the future!
      
      herbertstemple: Nice to see somebody here using their brain.
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

    "Donk down, thatís what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

  4. #4
    Canadrunk limitles's Avatar
    Reputation
    1609
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In Todd's head
    Posts
    15,777
    Load Metric
    14393747
    The Hoffa family and many more will have closure.

    Name change to Lake Mud.

     
    Comments
      
      Sheesfaced: Nostradamus rep
    unbounded
    Never Forget



  5. #5
    Diamond lol wow's Avatar
    Reputation
    898
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    8,764
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Lol Vegas haters city's goat small town feel is.goat unlv goat and tine is just salty cuz scorpions are attracted to his musk and ran him out of town

  6. #6
    Plutonium sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    6901
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    31,318
    Load Metric
    14393747
    in fairness im terribly musky yes
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  7. #7
    Diamond TheXFactor's Avatar
    Reputation
    1157
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,486
    Load Metric
    14393747



     
    Comments
      
      Benford: wow

  8. #8
    Plutonium sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    6901
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    31,318
    Load Metric
    14393747
    i believe folsom is back, btw. el nino filled it and also topped off the snow caps.


    in fact i believe they had to do an emergency vent of its water stores which actually resulted in a lot of damage around the american river (which they vent to).
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  9. #9
    Platinum Muck Ficon's Avatar
    Reputation
    531
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,721
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    They replace it with a hologram of a Lake. The opening concert will be a hologram of Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Tupac doing a cover of the song "Changes"
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

  10. #10
    Platinum
    Reputation
    317
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,787
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Under 1,075 feet the feds can step in and force a reduction of water usage.

    It just went to 1,074.51 ft recently.

  11. #11
    Platinum
    Reputation
    979
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,095
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Lets face it, sooner or later the whole westernmost chunk of the US is going to be fucked one way or another sooner or later

    EDIT: westernmost

    and chill the fuck out Toasterfuck - its a writing error...they happen
    Last edited by Gordman; 05-20-2016 at 12:39 PM.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Reputation
    679
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    M.C.E.C.W.C.
    Posts
    1,993
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Under 1,075 feet the feds can step in and force a reduction of water usage.

    It just went to 1,074.51 ft recently.


    OMG the federal government is going to step in and fix everything. I am so relieved, mankind can sleep easy tonight

  13. #13
    Platinum ToasterOven's Avatar
    Reputation
    982
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,667
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Lets face it, sooner or later the whole easternmost chunk of the US is going to be fucked one way or another sooner or later

    You mean westernmost?

    Shut it down, Gordo.

     
    Comments
      
      Gordman: LOL, you got me there. I just saw it but didn't edit it yet

  14. #14
    Platinum
    Reputation
    979
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,095
    Load Metric
    14393747
    This may sound like a stupid question to some who are more in the know, but someone help me to understand, because I don't live there or know really anything about the lake. How does a lake just....dry up like that? Is the water that fills it come strictly from rainfall and/or runoff or something? I guess what im asking is, aren't there springs that fill the lake, or is it that any springs that fill the lake not enough to sustain the water level vs humans drawing water from it? I guess I am used to lakes in my neck of the woods being sustained more or less by springs keeping it filled to the proper level. Also, when a lake like lake Mead or Folsum dries up as much as it does, how much damage does it do to the fish population?

  15. #15
    Gold SysOp's Avatar
    Reputation
    266
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    1,118
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    This may sound like a stupid question to some who are more in the know, but someone help me to understand, because I don't live there or know really anything about the lake. How does a lake just....dry up like that? Is the water that fills it come strictly from rainfall and/or runoff or something? I guess what im asking is, aren't there springs that fill the lake, or is it that any springs that fill the lake not enough to sustain the water level vs humans drawing water from it? I guess I am used to lakes in my neck of the woods being sustained more or less by springs keeping it filled to the proper level. Also, when a lake like lake Mead or Folsum dries up as much as it does, how much damage does it do to the fish population?
    it evaporates gordo, the fish die.

  16. #16
    100% Organic MumblesBadly's Avatar
    Reputation
    86
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the many threads of this forum
    Posts
    9,185
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Of course, this prolly has nothing to do with man-made global warming, right?

    Losing snow in a changing climate
    WHAT GLOBAL WARMING MEANS FOR OUR WATER SUPPLIES
    http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/...lies/82631192/

     
    Comments
      
      NaturalBornHustler: no it has to do with people using more water and population growing you dumb fuck
    _____________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

  17. #17
    Platinum
    Reputation
    979
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,095
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    This may sound like a stupid question to some who are more in the know, but someone help me to understand, because I don't live there or know really anything about the lake. How does a lake just....dry up like that? Is the water that fills it come strictly from rainfall and/or runoff or something? I guess what im asking is, aren't there springs that fill the lake, or is it that any springs that fill the lake not enough to sustain the water level vs humans drawing water from it? I guess I am used to lakes in my neck of the woods being sustained more or less by springs keeping it filled to the proper level. Also, when a lake like lake Mead or Folsum dries up as much as it does, how much damage does it do to the fish population?
    it evaporates gordo, the fish die.
    Well obviously water evaporates smartass. Most lakes (not all) that ive been around have springs which keep the water level in check and for the most part counter evaporation.

  18. #18
    Plutonium sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    6901
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    31,318
    Load Metric
    14393747
    So the cycle is usually like;

    Winter packs the mountain ranges with snow/ice, then during summer they melt and fill the lakes and rivers. Easy peasy.

    But because everything is hotter, everywhere... the snow never aggregates in the mountains and there is nothing to melt in summer. On top of which, warmer weather means less rains because that much less water evaporates from the ocean/mountains and makes it inland.

    Plus its a feedback loop because as the soil around the mountains/rivers changes chemistry from becoming critically dry/hot, it changes how the water flows basically. So even less water gets 'retained' on its way to the ocean.

    Etc etc.

     
    Comments
      
      Gordman: thanks
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  19. #19
    Diamond DRK Star's Avatar
    Reputation
    1281
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,401
    Load Metric
    14393747
    I think the Westernmostcoast is going to be dealing with too much water in the future


    nostradamus

  20. #20
    Platinum
    Reputation
    979
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,095
    Load Metric
    14393747
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    So the cycle is usually like;

    Winter packs the mountain ranges with snow/ice, then during summer they melt and fill the lakes and rivers. Easy peasy.

    But because everything is hotter, everywhere... the snow never aggregates in the mountains and there is nothing to melt in summer. On top of which, warmer weather means less rains because that much less water evaporates from the ocean/mountains and makes it inland.

    Plus its a feedback loop because as the soil around the mountains/rivers changes chemistry from becoming critically dry/hot, it changes how the water flows basically. So even less water gets 'retained' on its way to the ocean.

    Etc etc.
    Very nice explanation, I understand now. Thanks


    I didn't realize how much different lake makeups were in those areas vs where I am used to in my neck of the woods

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Emerson of Emerson Lake and Palmer is Donkdown
    By Ryback_feed_me_more in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2016, 08:00 PM
  2. lewfather you okay? Man found walking across frozen lake
    By simpdog in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2015, 01:42 PM
  3. What happens in Vegas....
    By sonatine in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 09:33 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 12:47 AM
  5. Long Article on the Future of Online Poker From The Las Vegas Sun/Vegas Inc.
    By bukowski72 in forum Poker Community Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM