Hockey Guy's Ireland Adventure

19 Day-(17 Full Days)-Ireland Trip Report

When: May 10th to 28th 2012
    Day 1-3: Dublin (3 nights)
    Day 4-5 Kilkenny area (2 nights)
    Day 6-8 Killarney area (3 nights)
    Day 9-11 Galway area (3 nights)
    Day 12 Donegal area (1 night)
    Day 13-14 Portrush N. I. area (2 nights)
    Day 15-16 Belfast (2 nights)
    Day 17-18 Navan area (2 nights)
    Day 19 Depart Dublin

Here are some of my thoughts on some of the most talked about topics on the travel forums:

Accommodations: We’re not really urban people so we stayed in hotels for the 5 nights in Dublin & Belfast & B&B’s the other 13 nights. Some people like to stay right in the middle of town but I tried to book B&B’s just outside the major settings & was very satisfied with the choices I made. We were going to play it by ear & book accomodations as we went but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it & booked everything the week before we left. There were a few places I wanted to stay & didn’t want to chance it.
    Weather: It only rained 3 times the whole trip. Twice while we were driving in the car & it stopped before we got to where we were going & once lightly on & off during the day but had no effect on our day’s plans. I actually got sunburn 1 day while golfing in Portrush. I doubt the weather could have been any better & we got a good laugh checking the weather back home to find it was cold & rainy with frost in the mornings. This was a lot closer to the weather we were expecting in Ireland than what we got.
    Rental Car: We rented from Thrifty & opted to go with the full Super SDW insurance. The total cost was about $880 & we got a Volkswagon Polo with manual transmission & had no problem at all. I drove a stick shift for 20 years & although you shift with the other hand it really was no problem. The car had 12,000+ km on it & only 1 blemish which was documented in their paperwork. It was great on gas(40+ mpg)& even though I had to prepay for a tank of gas(their cost/litre was very competitive to the going rate for fuel throughout the country)it worked out fine since I was able to return it running on fumes. We ended up putting 2455 km on the car & spent $190 Euros on fuel including the 76 Euros on the prepay. I was told I could bring back the car full & get my prepay refunded but it wouldn’t have made much difference financially & I’m not jewish(jk) so I let it slide.
    Roads & driving on the left side: The roads, although they were all paved, do come as advertised on most travel forums. We knew about this & took the advice to get the smallest car that would get us by. Good thing too because some of the roads we were on weren’t wide enough for 2 cars.
    The “N” & “M” roads were just normal roads that any North American would be used to. Some of the “R” roads were also pretty good but some were very narrow & curvy & you couldn’t tell by looking @ a paper map which were which so it was a crapshoot. The roads seemed to get narrower & curvy as we went south then improved as we headed back North towards Galway then were really good in Northern Ireland.
    As for the “L” roads, let’s just say don’t be surprised if you actually drive through somebody’s front yard. We also got a good laugh at the posted speed limits & quickly found out why you need extra time to get places. Unless it was a major road (N or M & a few R) there was no way you could even approach the speed limit let alone speed. The roads were windy & narrow & to top it off there were stone walls built a foot off the road almost everywhere, even on most of the “R” roads. This combined with the great scenery you’ll encounter make driving a slow affair. Don’t be in a hurry while driving, it’s not worth it.
    As for driving on the left side the only time I ever had a problem with it was in parking lots where, for some reason, I seemed to revert to old habits. Don’t be afraid, it’s easy to get used to.
    OPW Heritage Cards: These are cards we bought at the airport that give admission to any OPW(Office of Public Works) site(castle or historical)throughout the country. Best 21 Euros you’ll ever spend. I would have spent over 50 Euros each if I had to pay admission to everything we ended up going to & most(all)of them were very interesting.
    Irish People: Could not have been more friendly. Everybody I met was friendly & helpful to a fault.

If there is interest, I could do a day by day trip report with lots of details including all my travel maps I’ve saved on Google Maps or I could just answer questions. Whatever you guys(& gals)want.
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 06-01-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Banned
    Load Metric
    pics?

Load Metric

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    19 Day-(17 Full Days)-Ireland Trip Report

When: May 10th to 28th 2012
    Day 1-3: Dublin (3 nights)
    Day 4-5 Kilkenny area (2 nights)
    Day 6-8 Killarney area (3 nights)
    Day 9-11 Galway area (3 nights)
    Day 12 Donegal area (1 night)
    Day 13-14 Portrush N. I. area (2 nights)
    Day 15-16 Belfast (2 nights)
    Day 17-18 Navan area (2 nights)
    Day 19 Depart Dublin

Here are some of my thoughts on some of the most talked about topics on the travel forums:

Accommodations: We’re not really urban people so we stayed in hotels for the 5 nights in Dublin & Belfast & B&B’s the other 13 nights. Some people like to stay right in the middle of town but I tried to book B&B’s just outside the major settings & was very satisfied with the choices I made. We were going to play it by ear & book accomodations as we went but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it & booked everything the week before we left. There were a few places I wanted to stay & didn’t want to chance it.
    Weather: It only rained 3 times the whole trip. Twice while we were driving in the car & it stopped before we got to where we were going & once lightly on & off during the day but had no effect on our day’s plans. I actually got sunburn 1 day while golfing in Portrush. I doubt the weather could have been any better & we got a good laugh checking the weather back home to find it was cold & rainy with frost in the mornings. This was a lot closer to the weather we were expecting in Ireland than what we got.
    Rental Car: We rented from Thrifty & opted to go with the full Super SDW insurance. The total cost was about $880 & we got a Volkswagon Polo with manual transmission & had no problem at all. I drove a stick shift for 20 years & although you shift with the other hand it really was no problem. The car had 12,000+ km on it & only 1 blemish which was documented in their paperwork. It was great on gas(40+ mpg)& even though I had to prepay for a tank of gas(their cost/litre was very competitive to the going rate for fuel throughout the country)it worked out fine since I was able to return it running on fumes. We ended up putting 2455 km on the car & spent $190 Euros on fuel including the 76 Euros on the prepay. I was told I could bring back the car full & get my prepay refunded but it wouldn’t have made much difference financially & I’m not jewish(jk) so I let it slide.
    Roads & driving on the left side: The roads, although they were all paved, do come as advertised on most travel forums. We knew about this & took the advice to get the smallest car that would get us by. Good thing too because some of the roads we were on weren’t wide enough for 2 cars.
    The “N” & “M” roads were just normal roads that any North American would be used to. Some of the “R” roads were also pretty good but some were very narrow & curvy & you couldn’t tell by looking @ a paper map which were which so it was a crapshoot. The roads seemed to get narrower & curvy as we went south then improved as we headed back North towards Galway then were really good in Northern Ireland.
    As for the “L” roads, let’s just say don’t be surprised if you actually drive through somebody’s front yard. We also got a good laugh at the posted speed limits & quickly found out why you need extra time to get places. Unless it was a major road (N or M & a few R) there was no way you could even approach the speed limit let alone speed. The roads were windy & narrow & to top it off there were stone walls built a foot off the road almost everywhere, even on most of the “R” roads. This combined with the great scenery you’ll encounter make driving a slow affair. Don’t be in a hurry while driving, it’s not worth it.
    As for driving on the left side the only time I ever had a problem with it was in parking lots where, for some reason, I seemed to revert to old habits. Don’t be afraid, it’s easy to get used to.
    OPW Heritage Cards: These are cards we bought at the airport that give admission to any OPW(Office of Public Works) site(castle or historical)throughout the country. Best 21 Euros you’ll ever spend. I would have spent over 50 Euros each if I had to pay admission to everything we ended up going to & most(all)of them were very interesting.
    Irish People: Could not have been more friendly. Everybody I met was friendly & helpful to a fault.

If there is interest, I could do a day by day trip report with lots of details including all my travel maps I’ve saved on Google Maps or I could just answer questions. Whatever you guys(& gals)want.
    Pics or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Funny enough a co-worker of mine based out of Dublin is flying out here for the first time next week. I am interested to hear from him what he thinks about his travels here.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    pics?
    I'm at work & am waiting for my wife to download & send me a bunch. Of course after I receive them I will have to go thru them & make sure neither of us are in them because we all know how well that works on here.

I will include pictures in the day by day report with subtitles if that's what you want or I'll just post them in quantity somewhere.

Btw, please don't reply & quote the entire OP. If you haven't noticed it's fairly long so just quote the portion that pertains to your question.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Hockey Guy’s Ireland Adventure

Day 1: Flew into Edmonton from my job & met my wife @ the airport. Had a few hours to kill so got a bite to eat & arrived back at the airport for our 7:45PM overnight flight to London. Flight was on time & uneventful other than having trouble getting any sleep even even though I was coming off 2 weeks of night shift @ work & was very tired.

Arrived @ LHR @ approx. 11AM after an 8 hour flight & 7 hour time difference. I had originally booked a connecting flight with BMI that would leave @ 1PM but that flight was cancelled & I had to accept a 5PM flight so I ended up having a 6+ hour layover in Heathrow airport. Not exactly the most exciting place to be that’s for sure. On the plus side I was able to get a few hours sleep. I knew about this change a couple of weeks before we left but it still sucked.

BMI connecting flight got into Dublin about 6PM & after collecting our bags was into the main arrivals terminal to get the bus to Dublin city center. Went to the tourist desk in the terminal & bought the 3 day Freedom Pass(27 Euros/ea) which gives you express bus service to & from the airport, Hop-On-Hop-Off bus tour & Dublin public bus service all for 3 days(72hrs). Also got our OPW cards here(21 Euros/ea) & we were on our way.

Jumped on the 747 Air Link express bus & asked the driver which stop we should get off at & he dropped us off at the closet stop & we walked the last 2 blocks to our hotel for the night. We checked into our Penthouse Suite at the Eliza Lodge in the Temple Bar area. http://elizalodge.com/ Our room was small for a penthouse let alone a regular hotel room so I was disappointed but the view over the Liffey River & location was great.
    Name:  View from Eliza Lodge.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  29.8 KB
    We decided we didn’t want to explore anything until we had something to eat so we went downstairs to the onsite restaurant The Italian Corner. We had an awesome meal at this authentic Italian restaurant & were more than happy to pay 50 Euros(about 66USD) for a 3 course meal which included a nice bottle of red wine from Italy. We finished & decided to walk around the area knowing this was party central for Dublin. We stopped at some pub in the area & got our first taste of Guinness for the trip. It was only a Thursday night & wasn’t as busy as a weekend but it was still pretty busy. After finishing our drink & doing a little people watching we decided to call it a night after a long travel day.

I’m told that that it was very loud with all the activity in the area & I’m told I snore but, I slept well since I’m used to sleeping with earplugs due to my work situation. Apparently my wife had trouble sleeping. In retrospect I probably wouldn’t stay here again because of the noise, the small room, & the bathroom wasn’t the greatest either but it was a great location & had a really good restaurant. I had booked our final night in Ireland here also but after seeing the room, location, traffic congestion, & noise we decided to extend our stay @ the last B&B we were staying at in Navan & figured the drive wouldn't be quite as hectic even though it was about 30 miles longer to the airport.

Day 1 is officially over.

I'll add some pictures for the coming days here. I can only attach 5 photos per post.
    Name:  Rock of Cashel.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  32.0 KBRock of Cashel
    Name:  Hore Abbey from ROC.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  35.7 KBHore Abbey from ROC
    Name:  Swiss Cottage.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  32.8 KBSwiss Cottage
    Name:  Charles Fort.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  29.9 KBCharles Fort
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 06-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Decided to make this shorter. I'll add the pictures for each day when I get them.

Day 2: Breakfast @ Italian Corner(15 E)
    Trinity College-Book of Kells
    HOHO Bus- Stop @ Guinness Storehouse for tour & lunch @ Brewer’s Dining Hall(15E)
    Check-in Hilton Kilmainham
    Dinner @ Patriot’s Pub(35E with drinks)
    After dinner drinks @ Royal Oak Pub. Cool little pub no bigger than your living room

Day 3: Breakfast @ Hilton(Incl.)
    Use 747 Airlink to return to airport to pick-up rental car from Thrifty’s & return to Hilton.
    Kilmainham Gaol tour
    Name:  Kilmainham Gaol.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  44.0 KBThis location has been used in many movies.
    HOHO bus to Temple Bar area for shopping & a few pints
    Dublin Castle tour & explore Temple Bar area.
    Name:  Dublin Castle Inside.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  41.3 KBDublin Castle Main Ballroom
    Jameson Distillery Shindig Night Out & Tour(95E+ drinks)
    Drinks @ Brazen Head Pub. This is the oldest pub in Ireland.

Day 4: Dublin to Kilkenny https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...5e32e037&msa=0
    Breakfast @ Hilton(incl.)
    National Irish Stud & Japanese Gardens
    Name:  Japanese Gardens.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  56.3 KBJapanese Gardens
    Lunch @ Athy Town(25E)
    Kilkenny Castle & tour. Shopping in Kilkenny
    Name:  Kilkenny Castle.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  34.6 KBKilkenny Castle
    Arrive Newlands Lodge B&B. Early night.

Day 5: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...d0e96df3&msa=0
    Breakfast @ Newlands Lodge(incl) This B&B is HIGHLY Recommended
    Waterford Crystal Tour
    Cahir Castle Tour & Swiss Cottage Tour
    Name:  Cahir Castle.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  29.7 KBCahir Castle
    Pub lunch in Cahir(20E)
    Rock of Cashel & Hore Abbey
    Dinner Kilkenny @ La Ravista(60E for 3 course meal with wine)
    Explore downtown Kilkenny for pub with music-no luck

Day 6: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...ce7e57d1&msa=0
    Breakfast @ Newlands Lodge(incl)
    Jerpoint Abbey Tour
    Mahon falls Hike
    Lunch in Kinsale(15E)
    Charles Fort
    Arrive Friar’s Glen Guesthouse
    Dinner @ Molly Darcy’s Pub(30E incl drinks)
    It rained when we were driving from Mahon Falls to Kinsale & some after we left Charles Fort on our way to Killarney area but was really nice when we were out of the car.
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 06-11-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Day 7: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...27144a3e&msa=0
    Breakfast @ Friar’s Glen(incl) This B&B is HIGHLY recommended
    Ross Castle tour
    Name:  Ross Castle.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  29.3 KBRoss Castle in Killarney National Park
    Ring of Kerry(counter clockwise)
    Skellig Michael Experience Center
    Bray Head hike. Great views of Skellig Michael on a perfectly clear day.
    Skellig Chocolates on Ring Route.
    Moll’s Gap
    Dinner @ Molly Darcy’s again(35E incl drinks)

Day 8: No map as car barely moved
    Breakfast @ Friar’s Glen(incl)
    Muckross Abbey & Muckross House & Gardens & Traditional farms
    Name:  Muckross Abbey.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  42.2 KBMuckross Abbey
    Name:  Muckross House.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  26.5 KBMuckross House
    Torc Watrefall
    Jaunting car ride back from Torc. We were tired from walking all day & thought what the hell.(20E)
    Dinner @ Bricin’s(45E incl drinks)
    This was the only day it actually rained but not hard & we only opened the umbrellas twice even though we were on foot most of the day. I was told it rained really hard while we were on the Muckross House tour but stopped by the time we were done.

Day 9: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...fd0377c9&msa=0
    Breakfast @ Friar’s Glen(incl) This was the nicest of the 6 B&B’s we stayed at.
    Tarbert Ferry across the Shannon River estuary. We tried to make the 10:30 ferry by minutes & had to wait for the 11:30 ferry. We got stuck behind a wide load on R524.
    Loop Head Lighthouse. We rushed here because we heard the views were great but they had the place closed for some dignitary so it was basically a wasted trip. They had a sign that said it was closed from 2-6PM but it was only 12:30 & even though I promised to be gone by 1PM the lady cop wouldn’t let us go in. Very disappointing day. She also would not tell me who the dignitary was.
    Lunch @ Nolan’s Deli in Kilkee(15E)
    Cliffs of Moher. Very disappointed because I thought you could look over the edge but you couldn’t.
    Doolin Cave. I thought this was going to be lame but ended up very impressed by the tour & guide.
    Name:  Doolin Cave.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  22.2 KBSecond largest free hanging stalactite in the word @ Doolin Cave
    Coast Drive to Oranmore
    Check in @ Claddagh Moon B&B in Oranmore.
    Dinner @ Pearla na Mara(40E incl drinks)

Day 10: Connemara Loop https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...41e5bbc8&msa=0
    Breakfast @ Claddagh Moon B&B(incl) Decent budget B&B. Not the best I’ve ever seen but doable. I thought this place was in more of a rural setting but was basically in the middle of town. I can’t say anything really bad about the place but it wasn’t as luxurious as Friar’s Glen or Newlands Lodge although the breakfasts were very good just like every place we stayed. The hostess was also super helpful(she made sure our laundry got done @ the local launderette)& friendly just like every place we stayed.
    Connemara Loop-Bog Road-Sky Road
    Kylemore Abbey & Walled Garden- Lunch @ the Tea Room
    Name:  Kylemore Abbey.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  44.2 KBKylemore Abbey
    Drive around Galway City Center-Okay my GPS stopped working & we were lost.
    Dinner @ O’Riordan’s Pub(35E incl drinks) & watched the UEFA Champion’s League Final over a few pints.

Day11: Aran Islands Daytrip https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...a64a2927&msa=0
    Breakfast @ Claddagh Moon(incl)
    Celtic Crystal tour & demonstration. We got lucky because we showed up just after a tour bus arrived & joined in their tour. It was a Sunday & they don’t do demonstrations without prior arrangements but since there was a large group already there & another tour bus on the way They called one of their master cutters & he agreed to come in & put on the most impressive demonstration I could have possibly expected to see. I was impressed by the cutters @ Waterford Crystal but this guy was just sick. He free hand cut 3 different designs on a bowl in 15 minutes flat all the while answering questions & showing us exactly what he was doing. Impressive to say the least.
    My wife bought her Claddagh ring here for less than half the price we saw anywhere else & some other nice jewelry for a good price.
    Commemara Marble. Again it was Sunday so no demonstrations. Nice store but didn’t buy anything due to nothing really jumped out at us & most stuff was pretty heavy & we had limited room.
    1PM Ferry to Inis Mor Islands from Rossaveal
    Hired a jaunting car to tour the island. Our horses name was Bob Marley. Great commentary by Sean.
    Visit Dun Aongeous Fort. Awesome to get right up to the edge of the cliff unlike Cliffs of Moher.
    5Pm ferry back to mainland
    Dinner @ Pearla na Mara again in Oranmore(42E incl wine). This was my wife favorite restaurant during our trip.

Day 12: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...c33046df&msa=0
    Breakfast @ Claddagh Moon(incl)
    Donegal Castle.
    Explore Donegal- Lunch @ pub(20)
    Scenic drive to Slieve League
    4PM Slieve League Boat Trip with Paddy Byrnes. My wife wouldn’t go up top so this was a cool way to see them. Very impressive sea cliffs.
    Check-in & dinner & Ard na Breatha(94E incl wine) This is a guesthouse with a high end restaurant & after a long day just felt like staying in. Was the most expensive meal on the trip but not the best. It was good but not 94 Euros good.
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 06-11-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Day 13: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...2813133f&msa=0
    We woke up to rain & lots of it. We had expected there to be days like this but this was the first really foul weather we encountered. I was bummed out because I had planned to do the Derry wall walking tour today & after checking the weather forecast it appeared this weather was pretty wide spread & wasn’t expected to clear.
    Breakfast @ Ard na Breatha(incl) This place is OK but not quite the luxury B&B that is advertised. While it was good it still only ranked 4th or 5th on our trip. I’d still recommend it but it’s nothing special.
    Derry Wall Walking Tour(4GBP). We crossed into N. Ireland @ Strabane @ the skies miraculously cleared. We were planning on just continuing on because of the rain but when it cleared we stopped & had a great time on this tour. For me, other than the golf tomorrow, this was the highlight of the trip. I loved it & the wife, even though she wasn’t keen on it at first, agreed that it was nothing like she expected & was glad we took the time to do it(75min).
    Explored the walled city & Peace Bridge & had lunch in a little café inside the walls.(12GBP)
    Coastal route to Portrush. Check-in Links View B&B across the street from the Royal Portrush Golf & Country Club.
    Drive to Giant’s Causeway. Not as big as I thought it was but was pretty cool none the less. Also met up with some women who were going on the Slieve League boat tour with Paddy right after us the day before. We all agreed that it was well worth it & a great perspective to view the sea cliffs from.
    Name:  Giant's Causeway 1.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  36.6 KBGiant's Causeway
    Back to Portrush & dinner @ Adelphi’s(40GBP incl wine)

Day 14: No map. We went golfing & the car never moved today.
    Breakfast @ Links View B&B(incl) Nice B&B in a great location. We were told, even by the owner himself, that it can get fairly loud with people walking from the nightclub close by back into town but we never had any problem. Also the one place where the WI-FI didn’t work very well.
    Golf the Valley Course @ Royal Portrush. Not the Royal Portrush but was still a fantastic link’s course.
    Lowlights of the round: 4 putting 5 times from just off the green. 3 times in the first 3 holes.
    Highlights of the round: the 3 foot eagle putt on the fourth hole. I missed that but I at least still made a tap-in birdie. This was the nicest day they had in Ireland this year. We actually got sunburned.
    We were basically tourist out for a walk interrupted by swinging a golf club. We had a great time & I now have the utmost respect for links golf. The rough is crazy so don’t miss the fairway. We didn’t keep score but even with my putting problems(I 3 putted a few more times other than the others already documented)I would have been around 95 so it wasn’t too bad.
    One shot epitomizes links golf for me. I was 8 feet off the putting surface on the 16th hole & had to call my wife over to show her that I had basically no chance to put it on the green. I could see the ball clearly but it was sitting down in the rough & I told her I would be lucky if I could move it & if I did it would either barely come out or go screaming across the green. I was right & moved it about 3 feet but it was at least on the fringe where I could putt it. Yes, I three putted that one too.
    Great time & I’ll have to return to Ireland specifically for a golfing holiday.
    Name:  Golf Course 1.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  24.7 KBI think this was hole #2 from the tee
    Name:  Golf Course 4.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  32.0 KB
    Dinner @ Atlantis Bar & Grill(40GBP incl drinks)

Day 15: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...51905188&msa=0
    Breakfast Links View B&B(incl)
    Causeway Coastal Route
    Torr Head & Torr Head Scenic Route. Torr Head is the closest point between Ireland & Scotland & we had a perfectly clear day to see Scotland. While this was cool the highlight was the drive south from Torr Head was the most scenic drive I have ever been on. Unbelievable drive.
    Check-in Belfast Hilton & got upgraded to a Junior Suite with a view.
    Titanic Exhibit. We had pre-booked tickets for 2PM so we didn’t have time to do much sight-seeing between Portrush & Belfast. We spent 2.5 hrs here &, although some of it wasn’t all that interesting, were pleased with the experience.
    Explore area around hotel & had dinner with room service(50GBP).

Day 16: No map. Car didn’t move while in Belfast.
    Breakfast @ hotel(breakfast & wi-fi included since I am a Hilton Gold & was upgraded to the suite) I had heard that the Hilton chain was going downhill but this place & the one in Dublin were both very nice. Great room, comfortable bed & bathroom, & more than affordable compared to hotels in N. America.
    HOHO bus tour
    Ulster Museum & Botanical Gardens
    Explore central Belfast shopping district. Very compact city core & easily walkable.
    Dinner @ St. George’s Marketplace restaurant(50GBP incl wine).
    Drinks @ Crown Bar with some locals. Had a great time talking to the locals in this historic little pub.

Day 17: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...37dbefa7&msa=0
    Breakfast @ hotel(incl)
    Lisburn Museum & Linen Exhibition. We had been reminded during the Titanic exhibit that Belfast was the linen capital of the world back in the day. We had been shopping for linen in Belfast & were having trouble finding when we were told the only place he knew we could find authentic Irish linen was Lisburn & recommended this place. We went thru the museum then did the linen exhibition where they did demonstrations on how linen was made & found it very interesting. Highly Recommended.
    We bought a fine linen table set & generally had a great time here.
    Check-in Meadow View B&B just on the outskirts of Navan. Mentioned to the host that we were planning to do Hill of Tara sometime while in the area & she told us we should go right away since it was so unbelievably clear & there was no guarantee it would be like this the next day.
    Hill of Tara. Great views & lots of history.
    Dinner @ the Round O(62E) For the price, totally overrated. We had just as good a meals for half the price so this place had the worst food to value on the trip. Good food it just cost too much for what we got.

Day 18: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...f162f769&msa=0
    Breakfast @ Meadow View B&B(incl)
    Bru na Boinne Visitor Center. Did the Knowth & Newgrange tours. Great tours & I would definitely do Knowth again because I’m sure I’d learn more every time I went. Just a fascinating place.
    Name:  Knowth Entrance.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  42.7 KBEntrance to the passage tomb @ Knowth
    Name:  Newgrange Tomb.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  23.5 KBNewgrange
    Lunch @ Brambles Café @ the visitor’s center(20E)
    Battle of the Boyne Site. It was okay but if I could only do 1 I would do Bru na Boinne before here. I had already heard everything about this battle during other tours around Ireland & didn’t really learn anything new by going here.
    Dinner @ Zuchinni’s(58E incl wine)
    Nice walk around Navan & relax on our last night in Ireland.
    Day 19: https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...547ad0d3&msa=0
    Breakfast Meadow View B&B(incl)
    45 minute drive to return car-shuttle to airport from Thrifty car return
    Fly out of Dublin to London on BMI then Air Canada to Edmonton.
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 06-11-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Wow -- an 18 Day trip -- so many places and tours -- sounds exhausting!

When I went years ago, i don't remember packing so many things into a day... but then, we did a lot of golfing, which can take up lots of time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    Wow -- an 18 Day trip -- so many places and tours -- sounds exhausting!

When I went years ago, i don't remember packing so many things into a day... but then, we did a lot of golfing, which can take up lots of time.
    Really, this was not a hectic pace. We were never on the road before 9AM & were basically done driving by 6PM every day. I've seen lots of trip reports where way too much was packed in & they saw stuff from the seat in the car. We only did a max of 2 or 3 things a day & had a few days where we didn't drive at all.
    This was easily doable & I could have crammed more in but we really would not have seen it then. We never did anything(maybe the Cliffs of Moher)just to say we did it.
    You'll notice the day we went golfing(Day 14)that was all we did. We had planned on doing something after but there was just no way. We were physically done by the 18th hole.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    I'm trying to add pictures but it says they all exceed the size restriction on the forum. Anybody know a way around this?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    I'm trying to add pictures but it says they all exceed the size restriction on the forum. Anybody know a way around this?
    There are free picture resizers online (do a google search) that allow you to reduce the size of pictures (height x width) as well as the size of the files (kilobytes).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    There are free picture resizers online (do a google search) that allow you to reduce the size of pictures (height x width) as well as the size of the files (kilobytes).
    I'm almost computor illiterate. I'll figure something out.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Pretty cool, but I might have missed it:

why did you pick Ireland over Scotland or mainland europe?
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by zealanddonk View Post
    Pretty cool, but I might have missed it:

why did you pick Ireland over Scotland or mainland europe?
    We went to Scotland in 2007 for our 20th anniversary because she had been to England & had always wanted to return to see Scotland & I'm of Scottish heritage.
    Picked Ireland for our 25th because we both have Irish roots. Her maiden name & my mother's maiden name are distinctively Irish. She was able to find out quite a bit about the history of her family name.
    Her mother's maiden name is German so maybe that's next. I don't know she hasn't told me yet.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is like stumbling upon a young school girl's diary. Pics first, commentary second.....way second

Load Metric
    Pics of the wife, and maybe one or two of the trip will do

Load Metric
    I think I may have found out how to compress the file to let me post some of my pictures. If this works I'll post a bunch more.

Name:  Aran Islands.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  48.1 KBView from my horse drawn carriage(jaunting car)on Inis Mor(Aran Islands)
    Name:  Entrance to Walled City.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  30.3 KB1 of 4 Entrances to the Walled City in Derry. The Events of Bloody Sunday happened just outside the walls
    Name:  Skellig Michael 1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  18.7 KBSkellig Michael from Bray's Head on Valentia Island.
    Name:  Mahon Falls 2.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  29.4 KBMahon Falls from the Brink Looking towards the Ocean
    Name:  Mahon Falls.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  45.4 KBMahon Falls
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 06-12-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    More pictures added.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Thread Information