Thread: Led Zeppelin - Baby I wanna quit ya

Load Metric

Led Zeppelin - Baby I wanna quit ya

Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin. I was a little late to both as a kid. Never saw either live. Nevertheless my love was pure and they were the soundtrack for my early teens until punk.

I am just now getting hit with the Taurus Led Zeppelin lawsuit. I have no idea how I wiffed on this so completely.

I had "understood" that Zep borrowed from the Black Blues. There are no original ideas in music or frankly anything else in life. One artist builds and borrows from those that precede them. I love podcasts that document the chain from one artist to the next. If anyone has something like this they would like to suggest I will eat it up.

Somehow I missed the whole Zep plagiarism thing. It appears, especially early on, they outright lifted songs and released them with no credit to the original artist.

Look, people claim they are jaded and cynical. Yet everyone has some love that they hold pure - maybe they don't admit it. Gotta, it makes life bearable. This shit has me really shook.

No lie, I googled around a bit. I just had to stop. Depressed, I'll admit it.

What little I saw, Zep sold their library to Atlantic years ago for $25 million. Probably cause they saw this mess brewing. The Taurus/Stairway to Heaven lawsuit was triggered by a remastering and rerelease.

I immediately think of the exact point in HBO's Vinyl where I had enough. It was a scene with Peter Grant, Led Zeppelin's notorious manager. This guy rewrote the rules for the financial end of touring and royalties. Vinyl was allegedly the story of the business end of music at that time yet gave the Grant character no legs.

Grant was a ruthless mother. Fistfights and death threats on behalf of his boys. No doubt he was party to the lack of artistic credit early on.

Stairway to Heaven is last.

Comments

The Shrink: Levee's gonna break indeed

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: fuck me i'm disappointed. they're my favourite band!
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 05-01-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Load Metric
    The Bobby Parker example is outright theft.

Load Metric
    It was interesting to catch that Bill Burr (copyright Lewfather) had a long running Sabbath v Led Zeppelin argument with Joe Rogan.

I saw the moment on Rogans podcast with Bill Burr as guest when this lawsuit came up. Bill Burr was at a loss for words. Wouldn't talk about it.

I understand.

Thread Information