Page 303 of 2147 FirstFirst ... 2032532932993003013023033043053063073133534038031303 ... LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,060 of 42927

Thread: Time to get on the TRUMP train

Load Metric
    Assange speech should be going live shortly.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Furthermore, I am a bit confused as to why this tax thing is such a big deal.

I mean, yeah, it doesn't look great when you're a rich guy running for President, and you probably didn't pay taxes for many years.

But where's the scandal?

Do any of you do your taxes with the intent upon giving the government as much as possible?

Every individual and every company should always take whichever legal deductions they are allowed to take. That is the right of every citizen and every business.

Only when illegal maneuvers are introduced to evade taxes does it become a problem. If the tax laws at the time allowed Trump to carry his billion dollar loss forward and avoid paying taxes for many years, so be it. You would have done the same, I would have done the same, and just about 100% of all individuals and businesses filing taxes would have done the same.

There don't seem to be any allegations of anything illegal, or Trump engaging in tax evasion. So what's the big deal?

He shouldn't have said he was "smart" to pay no taxes. That was yet another idiotic Trumpism. He should have said something like, "Each American and each business always attempts to take all available legal deductions against their taxes. I took the legal deductions which were available to me at the time, as I'm sure you have been doing with your taxes, Hillary, and as I'm sure everyone filing taxes has been doing. I don't know anyone who voluntarily pays more taxes than legally required."

The problem is that Trump has been trying to run on a platform of "I'm such a great businessman", and now this situation from 1995 came out where he lost a billion dollars, and was able to take massive tax deductions because of it over the subsequent years. So now he's either forced to claim that he was just a master manipulator and played fast-and-loose with his taxes, or admit that he hasn't been as great of a businessman as he has claimed.

I don't believe Trump is a great businessman. His record is very spotty, and he only achieved consistent success when he realized that selling the Trump name and Trump brand was basically foolproof, whereas actually running businesses was hit-and-miss, especially for him. Or as one analysis I read put it, "Trump realized that Americans wanted to buy the sizzle instead of the steak."

Load Metric

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    ok that was the most tepid, strained applause ive heard in my life.

Load Metric
    zzzzz

Load Metric
    this is literally an infomercial.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So is Assange saying anything of value, or he is just verbally masturbating in front of the press?

I don't feel like turning it on unless it's good.

Load Metric
    10:00 Introduction by Sarah Harrison, WikiLeaks Journalist
    10:10 10 year video
    10:15 Sarah Harrison on history, propaganda attacks, lessons learnt
    10:30 John Goetz, German based investigative journalist, and Stefania Maurizi, Investigative
    journalist for L'Espresso, Italy, on publication model and partnerships
    10:40 Assassinate Assange video
    10:43 Melinda Taylor, Lawyer for Julian Assange, on legal threats and status
    10:55 UN Press Conference video
    11:00 Julian Assange, Founder and Publisher of WikiLeaks
    11:10 Questions from press
    11:30 End

uhhhhhhhh. yeah. there is fuckall there about an october surprise leak.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    So is Assange saying anything of value, or he is just verbally masturbating in front of the press?

I don't feel like turning it on unless it's good.

I turned it off 5 minutes ago, its nothing but self congratulation from a bunch of total random ass journos.

Load Metric
    ok they are attempting to skype him in

Load Metric
    no one can get video working.

Load Metric
    and because he hasnt been able to listen to any of the broadcast apparently, hes starting his speech by repeating whats been said about 6 times so far.

Load Metric
    we are half way through his speech's allotted time and he has not mentioned clinton's name once.

Load Metric
    ok he literally just said he decided not to do any major publication on clinton at 3am. 100% serious.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    ok he literally just said he decided not to do any major publication on clinton at 3am. 100% serious.
    This reminds me of the troll job Trump pulled on the media, when he claimed he had a statement about Obama and the birther stuff, and then just spent an hour with campaign propaganda, thus getting himself free airtime.

Load Metric
    Listen, I know you guys like to troll sidedish, Biffco, and the other Trump supporters here, but you can't sit here and write with a straight face that Lester Holt moderated the debate fairly.

You guys know that I am not a Trump supporter. I criticize him on radio nearly every week, and I won't be voting for him. I feel that Trump was what the Republican Party got for drifting away from its core principles, being too politically correct, while also obsessing with Tea Party nonsense while not really listening to what its own base really wanted.

But if there's something which I hate even more than Trump, it's the highly biased minefield which Republican candidates have to wade through in order to get elected.

I don't care how Holt is registered to vote. All I know is that he asked some very tough questions of Trump (for example, his tax returns and his Obama birther claims), but didn't ask a single tough question of Hillary. Not one. Go through the entire transcript and show me a single tough question Hillary was asked, if you think I'm incorrect.

It's not like there was a shortage of controversy from which the moderator could draw questions for Hillary. She and Trump BOTH have more baggage than any candidates in history. How could Holt go an entire debate without asking her a single question related to any of that controversy?

No questions about e-mail (remember, Trump briefly brought it up, not Holt). No questions about why she permanently deleted 33,000 e-mails when forced to hand over the server.

No questions about Benghazi.

No questions about the Clinton Foundation.

No questions about her health.

No questions about the shockingly high "speaking fees" she received from Wall Street firms, which could (and perhaps already have) create a conflict of interest.

No questions about her public attacking of any women who made accusations of sexual impropriety against her husband.

No questions about any other topic from the present or past where the Clintons have come under fire.

Obviously Holt couldn't ask about all of this stuff, but he didn't ask about ANY of it.

I remember being shocked about this as I watched the debate unfold.

Look, Trump screwed up the debate big time. He also could have brought up the above points, and he chose to largely ignore them. He came off as rambling, unprepared, short-tempered, and pretty much owned himself for the entire debate. There's no question about that.

But that doesn't take away from the very true point that the question were rigged against him.

Why did Holt do this? No idea. Perhaps he hates Trump. Perhaps he likes Hillary. Perhaps both. Perhaps he just put together a poor series of questions and didn't evaluate their fairness.

But anyone who mocks those for criticizing Holt's questions is just being unreasonably partisan and intentionally blind to the situation.
    There were previously announced topics from which questions would be drawn. Most of those don't fall under the announced topics. They are also all irrelevant except for the deleted e-mails. Her health is relevant but there is no scandal about it, she got sick then she got better, wow big scandal.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    This reminds me of the troll job Trump pulled on the media, when he claimed he had a statement about Obama and the birther stuff, and then just spent an hour with campaign propaganda, thus getting himself free airtime.
    It's easy to win the 3 am time slot, you're up against the 12th re-run of Sportscenter and an infomercial for boner pills. It's sort of genius that Trump and now Assange are making such good use of it.

Load Metric

I mean, yeah, it doesn't look great when you're a rich guy running for President, and you probably didn't pay taxes for many years.

But where's the scandal?

Do any of you do your taxes with the intent upon giving the government as much as possible?

Every individual and every company should always take whichever legal deductions they are allowed to take. That is the right of every citizen and every business.

Only when illegal maneuvers are introduced to evade taxes does it become a problem. If the tax laws at the time allowed Trump to carry his billion dollar loss forward and avoid paying taxes for many years, so be it. You would have done the same, I would have done the same, and just about 100% of all individuals and businesses filing taxes would have done the same.

There don't seem to be any allegations of anything illegal, or Trump engaging in tax evasion. So what's the big deal?

He shouldn't have said he was "smart" to pay no taxes. That was yet another idiotic Trumpism. He should have said something like, "Each American and each business always attempts to take all available legal deductions against their taxes. I took the legal deductions which were available to me at the time, as I'm sure you have been doing with your taxes, Hillary, and as I'm sure everyone filing taxes has been doing. I don't know anyone who voluntarily pays more taxes than legally required."

The problem is that Trump has been trying to run on a platform of "I'm such a great businessman", and now this situation from 1995 came out where he lost a billion dollars, and was able to take massive tax deductions because of it over the subsequent years. So now he's either forced to claim that he was just a master manipulator and played fast-and-loose with his taxes, or admit that he hasn't been as great of a businessman as he has claimed.

I don't believe Trump is a great businessman. His record is very spotty, and he only achieved consistent success when he realized that selling the Trump name and Trump brand was basically foolproof, whereas actually running businesses was hit-and-miss, especially for him. Or as one analysis I read put it, "Trump realized that Americans wanted to buy the sizzle instead of the steak."
    I don't think anyone's alleging Trump did something illegal. As usual, the scandal is what's legal.

Load Metric

But where's the scandal?

You answered your own question more or less. It's not a scandal on it's own. It's just more evidence that Trump is a hypocrite and a liar. Also the logic, that since he's so good at dodging taxes and bribing government officials, that he's some how better at stopping that kinda behavior vs some one that at least has some morals and is at least aware of the concept of ethics is kinda retarded. It makes sense, if you think that criminals are best at catching criminals or that prisoners are best at guarding prisoners, but if you believe that, then the only explanation is that you're a fucking retard.

Trump is the elite he's claiming to fight against.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

But where's the scandal?

You answered your own question more or less. It's not a scandal on it's own. It's just more evidence that Trump is a hypocrite and a liar. Also the logic, that since he's so good at dodging taxes and bribing government officials, that he's some how better at stopping that kinda behavior vs some one that at least has some morals and is at least aware of the concept of ethics is kinda retarded. It makes sense, if you think that criminals are best at catching criminals or that prisoners are best at guarding prisoners, but if you believe that, then the only explanation is that you're a fucking retard.

Trump is the elite he's claiming to fight against.
    But this isn't about dodging taxes or bringing government officials.

This is about Trump utilizing a legal tax deduction based upon a massive business loss he took in 1995.

Everyone always seeks to pay the least taxes legally possible. In fact, you would be foolish not to do this.

If Trump were caught engaging in illegal tax evasion (or even if there was a gray area to where it resembled tax evasion, though not criminally prosecutable), I would understand.

Instead, the left is all, "LOL Trump didn't pay taxes! He lost money in 1995 and then got to carry over those losses for many years, so he paid no tax! Shame, shame!"

And I'm sitting here thinking, "Would any of these people have paid taxes if they had legal ways to avoid doing so? They'd all have done the exact same thing."

I think it's just a dumb thing to use to attack him. Perhaps it's effective in that it might piss off some of his blue-collar followers who don't fully understand the situation, but from an intellectually honest standpoint, there is no story here.

Thread Information