Thread: Time to get on the TRUMP train

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

We have had this discussion before in other threads. The only reason drugs are so cheap in Canada is because they are so expensive in the US, the drug companies are ok taking the discount in Canada. So basically the US is subsidizing prescription drugs for Canada. Ergo, there is strict rules that are aggressively enforced blocking Americans from going around this process and buying drugs in Canada.

If US citizens were allowed to purchase drugs in Canada, the prices would go up dramatically in Canada to compensate.
    Sorry, but this is fucking nonsense.

Edit: What hk said...
    It is not nonsense. The drug companies are getting their $$, one way or another. Right now they are getting it disproportionately from Americans. If the US system changed and this was no longer the case, the price would go up for everyone else.

You really think if the US passed laws allowing Americans to go to Canada and buy dramatically cheaper drugs the drug companies would just shrug their shoulders and say GG and give up those billions of $$s in revenue. Hell no. The entire system would dramatically change for everyone if such a thing happened, and I am pretty confident prices would go up significantly in Canada and elsewhere.

What do you think would happen if the US allowed Americans to buy drugs from Canada online for 1/10 the price (or whatever it is?). The drug companies would just say GG and suck it up? This is a surprising amount of naivety from someone who owns a business IMO.

Comments

Hockey Guy: No, it's 100% nonsense.

Gold
    Load Metric

It is not nonsense. The drug companies are getting their $$, one way or another. Right now they are getting it disproportionately from Americans. If the US system changed and this was no longer the case, the price would go up for everyone else.

You really think if the US passed laws allowing Americans to go to Canada and buy dramatically cheaper drugs the drug companies would just shrug their shoulders and say GG and give up those billions of $$s in revenue. Hell no. The entire system would dramatically change for everyone if such a thing happened, and I am pretty confident prices would go up significantly in Canada and elsewhere.

What do you think would happen if the US allowed Americans to buy drugs from Canada online for 1/10 the price (or whatever it is?). The drug companies would just say GG and suck it up? This is a surprising amount of naivety from someone who owns a business IMO.
    If what you said is true and drug companies can do this, then why wouldn't they do it to increase profits?

If what you say us true what is keeping drug companies from charging Canadians more?

Load Metric

LOL at your last sentence considering from a business standpoint, what you just said makes literally no business sense whatsoever. I'll make this very simple for you to understand. Canada has Medicare which gives them much more purchasing power. Drug companies are negotiating with very few parties in Canada. They have their shit together.

Here in the US we don't have universal health care or a well regulated market, and therefore we have a bunch of different insurance companies negotiating prices with pharmaceutical companies, and basically taking advantage of the system. Our shit is fucked up.
    Last edited by vegas1369; 12-29-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    You failed to answer the question. You really think the drug companies are going to bend over and take it if the US "gets its shit together?"

I had this same problem with Druff from a different angle. You guys all think it is so simple. We spend too much on drugs and healthcare. So lets just spend less and then everything will be better.

Sorry. The world is not that simple. The healthcare and drug industries are a giant part of the world economy and wield tremendous influence. I think you guys are vastly overestimating the influence that European and Canadian govts has over them. I think the system works and the drug companies are ok with it because they are making their $$ in the US. That breaks down and things will get a lot more contentious and the system will break down to the detriment of everyone IMO.

Load Metric
    You are almost saying the same thing as me, except you think pharma companies are letting Canada buy drugs cheap so they can gouge Americans. That's just silly.

Our system is flawed. Big pharma already has a stranglehold on the American political system and will do everything within their power to never see our system change. Lol at thinking they wouldn't do exactly the same thing to Canada and every other country on this planet if they could. Talk about naive.

Load Metric
    You failed to answer the question. You really think the drug companies are going to bend over and take it if the US "gets its shit together?"

I had this same problem with Druff from a different angle. You guys all think it is so simple. We spend too much on drugs and healthcare. So lets just spend less and then everything will be better.

Sorry. The world is not that simple. The healthcare and drug industries are a giant part of the world economy and wield tremendous influence. I think you guys are vastly overestimating the influence that European and Canadian govts has over them. I think the system works and the drug companies are ok with it because they are making their $$ in the US. That breaks down and things will get a lot more contentious and the system will break down to the detriment of everyone IMO.
    this doesn't make sense on any business or logical level, but dddd raised a question that defeats your premise entirely.

if drug companies could just snap their fingers and dramatically raise prices on canadians, why wouldn't they do that now? because they already have enough? talk about naive... have you ever heard of a for-profit business that chose to make a lot less money than they could?

jesus, think about the shareholder derivative actions that would be filed if what you're suggesting is true

Comments

vegas1369: Retarded business logic rep

Load Metric
    Canada has price controls legislated. New drugs that hit the market cannot cost more than existing drugs to treat the same illness.

Load Metric

fun fact, russia has been doing the same shit on the reg and trump has fuckalllllll to say about it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

fun fact, russia has been doing the same shit on the reg and trump has fuckalllllll to say about it.
    I was just reading about it. Russia is so slick. Of course it's supposedly not state sanctioned, but neither was Crimea.

Comments

sonatine: magical times we live in

Gold
    Load Metric

"They are making their $$$ in the US". You ignored my question. Why would these corporations limit the lion's share of their profitability to one country? It makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint, yet you accuse Vegas of being naive.

You're saying "medical companies have it so good in the US that they gave up maximizing their profit elsewhere". rubbish.

I won't claim to know what is going on, but your version sure ain't it, Verminaaard.

Comments

vegas1369: You ain't wrong

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post

"They are making their $$$ in the US". You ignored my question. Why would these corporations limit the lion's share of their profitability to one country? It makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint, yet you accuse Vegas of being naive.

You're saying "medical companies have it so good in the US that they gave up maximizing their profit elsewhere". rubbish.

I won't claim to know what is going on, but your version sure ain't it, Verminaaard.
    Same thing here in Australia, our government buys everything and haggles for the best deal.

If the drug companies want too much, they say fuck you we'll not buy this particular drug. When you look at it the opposite is true, the drug companies are so greedy they take less or the alternative is nothing.

Though, the fact they've screwed your own country for every penny makes these cheaper sales to other countries as pure profit as R&D has already been profiteered tenfold from your own people. (so in a sense he is right)

Comments

peter mcneil:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

Same thing here in Australia, our government buys everything and haggles for the best deal.

If the drug companies want too much, they say fuck you we'll not buy this particular drug. When you look at it the opposite is true, the drug companies are so greedy they take less or the alternative is nothing.

Though, the fact they've screwed your own country for every penny makes these cheaper sales to other countries as pure profit as R&D has already been profiteered tenfold from your own people. (so in a sense he is right)
    They're making a killing.

Harvard professors did a study on why our prices are so out of control and released their findings in 2016.

Although prices are often justified by the high cost of drug development, there is no evidence of an association between research and development costs and prices; rather, prescription drugs are priced in the United States primarily on the basis of what the market will bear.

Conclusions and Relevance High drug prices are the result of the approach the United States has taken to granting government-protected monopolies to drug manufacturers, combined with coverage requirements imposed on government-funded drug benefits.
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...?redirect=true

Comments

Salty_Aus: Johnson & Johnson spend twice as much on sales & marketing as they do on R&D... same with Pfizer.

MumblesBadly: "Communist propoganda from East Coast liberal elites who hate America!"

Load Metric

OH MY SIDES

So the state department released these heavily redacted emails found on wieners laptop.........Lol at anyone thinking that wiener only forwarded emails to only one laptop..........
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Platinum
    Load Metric
    You guys do realize the US spends more on medical research and has more innovation than the rest of the world combined.

I am sure there are too many fat cats at the top making too much, and our system definitely has flaws that the current regime is just going to make worse.

But it isn’t just a simple case of we are being ripped off. All the $$ pumped into the medical system is an important part of our economy and an important source of middle/upper class jobs.

Gold
    Load Metric
    You guys do realize the US spends more on medical research and has more innovation than the rest of the world combined.

I am sure there are too many fat cats at the top making too much, and our system definitely has flaws that the current regime is just going to make worse.

But it isn’t just a simple case of we are being ripped off. All the $$ pumped into the medical system is an important part of our economy and an important source of middle/upper class jobs.
    And med costs break many many poor and middle class families.

Load Metric
    I have 4 MIT STEM degrees.You've got NONE. That's why YOU protect Monsanto & its Fake Science that poisons our food & why YOU "believe in climate science" so Goldman Sachs & Al Gore can make trillions on Carbon Tax! WATCH & LEARN: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkar4j… . DNA Test? twitter.com/elizabethforma…

@va_shiva

Hardcore Dot head, imo.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Yeah. Just remember it is a 2 way street. Next time you go into a medical office or hospital look around and you will notice in addition to the doctors an army of ancillary medical professionals that all make $40k-$80k/year. There is an additional army of people in the research and development side too. That is your middle class. Druff would argue we should streamline the system and get rid of all those jobs. And he is right we probably could, but I am not sure it would be a good thing for our country. Most people recognize capitalism only works when there is a strong middle class, and a lot of our problems are in part because we are losing our middle class, as the rich have figured out ways to reduce middle class jobs, so they get to keep more $$ for themselves. I don't think any "solution" that gets rid of thousands of middle class jobs is going to make anything better for anyone, except the super rich of course.
    Last edited by ErickAA; 12-30-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Load Metric

Yeah. Just remember it is a 2 way street. Next time you go into a medical office or hospital look around and you will notice in addition to the doctors an army of medical professionals that all make $40k-$80k/year. There is an additional army of people in the research and development side too. That is your middle class. Druff would argue we should streamline the system and get rid of all those jobs. And he is right we probably could, but I am not sure it would be a good thing for our country. Most people recognize capitalism only works when there is a strong middle class, and a lot of our problems are in part because we are losing our middle class, as the rich have figured out ways to reduce middle class jobs, so they get to keep more $$ for themselves. I don't think any "solution" that gets rid of thousands of middle class jobs is going to make anything better for anyone, except the super rich of course.

i dont understand how you can be so aware of the essential role a strong middle class has in the american economy but still advocate for a political party that strips them of protections and props up the aggregation of wealth with reagan era 'trickle down economy' myths that have been totally debunked many times over.

i totally appreciate that the democrats arent socialist champions of the proletariat but the republicans absolute aggression in their efforts to obliterate the social safeguards that prevent the deflation of the middle class seem entirely at odds with what you just advocated.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

Yeah. Just remember it is a 2 way street. Next time you go into a medical office or hospital look around and you will notice in addition to the doctors an army of medical professionals that all make $40k-$80k/year. There is an additional army of people in the research and development side too. That is your middle class. Druff would argue we should streamline the system and get rid of all those jobs. And he is right we probably could, but I am not sure it would be a good thing for our country. Most people recognize capitalism only works when there is a strong middle class, and a lot of our problems are in part because we are losing our middle class, as the rich have figured out ways to reduce middle class jobs, so they get to keep more $$ for themselves. I don't think any "solution" that gets rid of thousands of middle class jobs is going to make anything better for anyone, except the super rich of course.

i dont understand how you can be so aware of the essential role a strong middle class has in the american economy but still advocate for a political party that strips them of protections and props up the aggregation of wealth with reagan era 'trickle down economy' myths that have been totally debunked many times over.

i totally appreciate that the democrats arent socialist champions of the proletariat but the republicans absolute aggression in their efforts to obliterate the social safeguards that prevent the deflation of the middle class seem entirely at odds with what you just advocated.
    Who says I am supporting the Republicans? Are you confusing me with someone else? I mostly argue there are a lot of complicated reasons so many people do support the Republicans, and it isn't so simple to say they are all stupid racists who should be ridiculed and dismissed, or very productive.

I don't think I ever said I support this current iteration of the Republican Party. And as far as medical science and research goes (which is the industry I work in) the Republican Party under Trump is definitely a bigger threat to this industry than any Democrat regime would be.

Thread Information