Thread: Time to get on the TRUMP train

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Greenland isn't for sale, but buying it isn't a stupid idea.

This is no different than a baseball team's GM discussing the possibility of acquiring a player from another team. Even if that player isn't available, investigating the possibility of getting him isn't stupid if he can help the team.

It's rich in resources, has a strategic location for the military, and isn't even that far from the US.

I agree that Denmark likely has no interest in selling it, and also would ask for an unreasonably high price if they were willing to let it go.

However, there's no fault in investigating it and figuring out if it's a possibility.

Mocking Trump for this is stupid. Remember, people mocked Seward for purchasing Alaska from the Russians, with most saying that it was a useless, icy wasteland. How dumb does that purchase look today?
    It's twenty-nineteen. Comparing countries to baseball players is ridiculous as it's a free market where players expect to get the most out of a short career.

What's stupid is Trump shooting his mouth off about the idea. Consider what ever you want but don't blurt it out in public.

Many people are instantly insulted by the thought money could sway such a deal. People world wide would be against a train wreck super power looking to buy more natural resources when it doesn't even accept climate change

Load Metric
    Greenland isn't for sale, but buying it isn't a stupid idea.

This is no different than a baseball team's GM discussing the possibility of acquiring a player from another team. Even if that player isn't available, investigating the possibility of getting him isn't stupid if he can help the team.

It's rich in resources, has a strategic location for the military, and isn't even that far from the US.

I agree that Denmark likely has no interest in selling it, and also would ask for an unreasonably high price if they were willing to let it go.

However, there's no fault in investigating it and figuring out if it's a possibility.

Mocking Trump for this is stupid. Remember, people mocked Seward for purchasing Alaska from the Russians, with most saying that it was a useless, icy wasteland. How dumb does that purchase look today?
    Jesus fucking Christ, Druff! It’s basic economics that buying almost anything isn’t a bad idea if the price is right! Alaska was a super deal for the US because the Russians couldn’t begin to get the benefit out of its resources for various reasons and it was strategically easier to not have to defend it against the more powerful European empires. So, Seward was able to snap it up for the US at a fantastic bargain. By comparison, Denmark can just as easily get the same value out of owning Greenland as the US because of modern tech and global markets, and Denmark is in great financial shape, so they don’t need to sell Greenland for the cash for the foreseeable future.

Seriously, dude. You call yourself a “cheap Jew” and you don’t even seem to understand the economics of “fire sales”? Or are you just parroting a rightwing talking point to show support for Trump’s highly questionable presidential reputation?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    I would love it if Donald Trump signs an executive order to make our National Anthem One by Metallica.

Load Metric
    sweetheart if anything our new national anthem will be whatever brandon flowers deigns to give us

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    sweetheart if anything our new national anthem will be whatever brandon flowers deigns to give us
    He’d be disqualified due to being a Mormon, not a Moron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    his vegas roots outweigh the mormonism kids a hitmaker

Comments

Tellafriend: indeed

Load Metric
    I would accept Sams Town but I would be biting my tongue in doing so.

Load Metric
    get this idiot out of here

Load Metric
    I'm sorry but I can't thing of a Brandon Flowers song that I would be proud of.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    "The public were stupid. They trusted salespeople" Sanlmar

This one sentence tells you a lot about people in general and about the
    poster who posted.

In this case we are talking about home mortgages. A significant investment/profit
    depending on your position

Laws enabling loans to people who would otherwise not qualify was all of a sudden OK.
    The risks for these mortgages were inevitably bought and sold on Wall Street.
    When the market collapsed the lenders were not held accountable
    The lenders were bailed out.

I haven't done one minute of research yet I know this.

You are pathetic......I don't care to ever speak again
    Want to make a guess which of the two political parties in the USA was behind “Laws enabling loans to people who would otherwise not qualify was all of a sudden OK”. Who do you think supported Freddie and Fannie who wrote the rules of the MBS game.

Hint: They went on to write the post collapse “cure” to the problem “Dodd Frank”.

Now we have the Maxine Winters of the world Calling for the same programs at the exact same point in the economic cycle. just in time for the economic shift so a bunch of folks who are socioeconomicaly challanged are he ones holding the bag again.
    I wondered about your question regarding the party behind sub prime mortgages.
    A government is elected to protect consumers in numerous ways.
    I'm not Republican, nor a Democrat. That's not the point

A triumvirate of institutions consisting of the banks, wall street and politicians
    allowed the program through de-regulation

"While the housing and credit bubbles were growing, a series of factors caused the financial system to become increasingly fragile. Policymakers did not recognize the increasingly important role played by financial institutions such as investment banks and hedge funds, also known as the shadow banking system.

These entities were not subject to the same regulations as depository banking. Further, shadow banks were able to mask the extent of their risk taking from investors and regulators through the use of complex, off-balance sheet derivatives and securitizations
    .[24] Economist Gary Gorton has referred to the 2007–2008 aspects of the crisis as a "run" on the shadow banking system"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

Want to make a guess which of the two political parties in the USA was behind “Laws enabling loans to people who would otherwise not qualify was all of a sudden OK”. Who do you think supported Freddie and Fannie who wrote the rules of the MBS game.

Hint: They went on to write the post collapse “cure” to the problem “Dodd Frank”.

Now we have the Maxine Winters of the world Calling for the same programs at the exact same point in the economic cycle. just in time for the economic shift so a bunch of folks who are socioeconomicaly challanged are he ones holding the bag again.
    I wondered about your question regarding the party behind sub prime mortgages.
    A government is elected to protect consumers in numerous ways.
    I'm not Republican, nor a Democrat. That's not the point

A triumvirate of institutions consisting of the banks, wall street and politicians
    allowed the program through de-regulation

"While the housing and credit bubbles were growing, a series of factors caused the financial system to become increasingly fragile. Policymakers did not recognize the increasingly important role played by financial institutions such as investment banks and hedge funds, also known as the shadow banking system.

These entities were not subject to the same regulations as depository banking. Further, shadow banks were able to mask the extent of their risk taking from investors and regulators through the use of complex, off-balance sheet derivatives and securitizations
    .[24] Economist Gary Gorton has referred to the 2007–2008 aspects of the crisis as a "run" on the shadow banking system"
    Putting all or even most of the political blame for the sub-prime mortgage crisis on the Dems is pure partisan bullshit. They both had an hand in fostering that financial system fuckup, and to say otherwise is pure horseshit.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Buying Greenland isn't a good idea — it's a great idea

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...s-a-great-idea

Seriously?

Okay, then Greenland should demand $1.5 Trillion dollars plus Donald Trump must resign immediately as President.

After rebuffing Donald J. Trump’s hypothetical proposal to purchase Greenland, the government of Denmark has announced that it would be interested in buying the United States instead.

“As we have stated, Greenland is not for sale,” a spokesperson for the Danish government said on Friday. “We have noted, however, that during the Trump regime pretty much everything in the United States, including its government, has most definitely been for sale.”

“Denmark would be interested in purchasing the United States in its entirety, with the exception of its government,” the spokesperson added.

A key provision of the purchase offer, the spokesperson said, would be the relocation of Donald Trump to another country “to be determined,” with Russia and North Korea cited as possible destinations.

If Denmark’s bid for the United States is accepted, the Scandinavian nation has ambitious plans for its new acquisition. “We believe that, by giving the U.S. an educational system and national health care, it could be transformed from a vast land mass into a great nation,” the spokesperson said.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Sub prime mortgate lending was a direct tool used for the profit of few. And as it turns out it was the ruin of many, not the few. Answer that in your own words
    There were way too much assets floating around the world. Including your pension fund. It needed to earn “interest”. Money managers were desperate for returns.

Read rich speculators needed gas for the boat

This cool new toy satisfied the need for returns AND provided credit for homeowners. Home ownership is a fundamental value in the US and is promoted by all. I won’t get into why people owning a home is a good thing.
    No harm is caused. It’s all good.
    EXCEPT. Financial institutions measured their assets (the mortgage backed securities) on a risk weighted basis.
    "Our rules, they said, state we can only accept so much risk."

Let's see if we can get around those rules

But looking back we see that defaults are occurring at a far smaller rate than we had figured. You know what? We can accept more risk. So on and so on.
    People don’t default when asset prices (your house) is rising in value.Maybe you get a second mortgage or refinance. People endlessly refinanced their rate. They could get refinanced cause their house was worth more.

The vast majority of these sub-prime loans came with a nifty feature called adjustable rate

A variable-rate mortgage, adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM), or tracker mortgage is a mortgage loan with the interest rate on the note periodically adjusted based on an index which reflects the cost to the lender of borrowing on the credit markets

Don’t drink too much and don’t accept too much credit. The public bought shit they never should have. Mortgage brokers were sleazy salesmen. Bartenders keep serving.

The public were stupid. They trusted salespeople.
    The financial institutions were stupid because their analysis of their asset’s risk was backward looking & flawed. They accepted too much risk and consequently were too steeply leveraged.

If there was regulation the regulators weren’t gonna say shit cause their future employer was that financial institution. (Just like your Congressman.but I digress).

Regulations are not to be handled by those to be regulated

When asset prices fell cause every breathing US citizen had already bought a home - the whole house of cards collapsed.

There were many other wonderful details but this is how I remember that episode.
    TOO MUCH CREDIT AND IT GOT DELEVERAGED.
    there is always a new twist in every cycle There is always something new.
    I know Limitles is just making conversation but I wanted to see if I could riff the housing crisis

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If you wonder about your future you might want to listen to Aldous Huxley interviewed
    by Mike Wallace.

He speaks of many issues that we face today. Political advertising, technological communication potential etc.

Wallace is the perfect interviewer and Huxley
    addresses everything presented to him eloquently

Comments

Jayjami: The Doors of Perception rep

Load Metric
    Name:  6A8A5ABF-CDA7-4CDA-8284-FCD86533A3BC.jpeg
Views: 393
Size:  102.4 KB

Load Metric
    once we buy greenland trump needs to finish off vanity fair i have no idea why i still pay for this subscription but its been going downhill for like 18 months

Load Metric
    vf used to be one of the goats this has been a stunning fall from grace

Load Metric
    apparently the only good literature one can get nowadays is veranda magazine

Thread Information