Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF, America. Is This True????

Load Metric

WTF, America. Is This True????

No this is not another political thread or 1 to bash our posters who happen to live in the good old U.S.A.

It has been brought to my attention while reading an article that these 12 things(some of them are fuckin' awesome) are available in Canada but are not available to our friends to the South.

Confirm or deny:

1.Smarties. Kinda like M&M's only 10 times better. Find it hard to believe these are not available anywhere in the USA.
    Name:  Canada1.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  34.1 KB

2. Poutine. It's just freedom fries & gravy that somebody accidentally spilled cheese curds on so it must be available somewhere in the USA.
    Name:  Canada2.png
Views: 762
Size:  940.0 KB

3. Nanaimo Bars. A tasty little desert that must have an American equivalent.
    Name:  Canada3.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  31.2 KB

4. Montreal Smoked Meat. Again, it's just a type of smoked meat so I can't see it not being available in some delis around the USA.
    Name:  Canada4.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  35.9 KB

5. Montreal Bagel. Nothing to really see here. Just another shitty bagel. Who fucking cares if they're available. Fuckin' French bastards.
    Name:  Canada5.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  33.6 KB

6. Kinder Eggs. These are fucking awesome but I suspect they really aren't available due to laws prohibiting imbedded toys in candy in the USA.
    Name:  Canada6.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  29.0 KB

7. Ketchup Chips. Okay, I don't like them but a lot of people do so why wouldn't they be available to Americans with shitty tastes too?
    Name:  Canada7.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  19.3 KB

8. Hickory Sticks. Okay, these fuckers are addictive & I've never opened a bag & not finished them. Tasty, tasty, tasty.
    Name:  Canada8.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  38.8 KB

9. Coffee Crisp chocolate bar. Again, these are fucking awesome. If you can't get these in America, or an equivalent, you don't know what your missing.
    Name:  Canada9.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  51.6 KB

10. Butter Tarts. Don't see the appeal. They must be available in some bakeries, no?
    Name:  Canada10.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  31.9 KB

11. Beaver Tails. Never heard of them so I'm pretty sure our American neighbors haven't either but you never know.
    Name:  Canada11.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  47.3 KB

12. All Dressed Chips. Hard to believe these aren't available because they are tasty as fuck.
    Name:  Canada12.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  48.3 KB

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/foodanddrin...id=mailsignout

Some of these, or their equivalents, must be available in certain areas so lets here from our friends to the South to confirm or deny availability where they live.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    No this is not another political thread or 1 to bash our posters who happen to live in the good old U.S.A.

It has been brought to my attention while reading an article that these 12 things(some of them are fuckin' awesome) are available in Canada but are not available to our friends to the South.

Confirm or deny:

1.Smarties. Kinda like M&M's only 10 times better. Find it hard to believe these are not available anywhere in the USA.
    Name:  Canada1.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  34.1 KB

2. Poutine. It's just freedom fries & gravy that somebody accidentally spilled cheese curds on so it must be available somewhere in the USA.
    Name:  Canada2.png
Views: 762
Size:  940.0 KB

3. Nanaimo Bars. A tasty little desert that must have an American equivalent.
    Name:  Canada3.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  31.2 KB

4. Montreal Smoked Meat. Again, it's just a type of smoked meat so I can't see it not being available in some delis around the USA.
    Name:  Canada4.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  35.9 KB

5. Montreal Bagel. Nothing to really see here. Just another shitty bagel. Who fucking cares if they're available. Fuckin' French bastards.
    Name:  Canada5.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  33.6 KB

6. Kinder Eggs. These are fucking awesome but I suspect they really aren't available due to laws prohibiting imbedded toys in candy in the USA.
    Name:  Canada6.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  29.0 KB

7. Ketchup Chips. Okay, I don't like them but a lot of people do so why wouldn't they be available to Americans with shitty tastes too?
    Name:  Canada7.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  19.3 KB

8. Hickory Sticks. Okay, these fuckers are addictive & I've never opened a bag & not finished them. Tasty, tasty, tasty.
    Name:  Canada8.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  38.8 KB

9. Coffee Crisp chocolate bar. Again, these are fucking awesome. If you can't get these in America, or an equivalent, you don't know what your missing.
    Name:  Canada9.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  51.6 KB

10. Butter Tarts. Don't see the appeal. They must be available in some bakeries, no?
    Name:  Canada10.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  31.9 KB

11. Beaver Tails. Never heard of them so I'm pretty sure our American neighbors haven't either but you never know.
    Name:  Canada11.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  47.3 KB

12. All Dressed Chips. Hard to believe these aren't available because they are tasty as fuck.
    Name:  Canada12.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  48.3 KB

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/foodanddrin...id=mailsignout

Some of these, or their equivalents, must be available in certain areas so lets here from our friends to the South to confirm or deny availability where they live.
    At least we get Timbits here though in the states in certain parts of the country including here in AZ.. (all the damn snowbirds that invade here during hockey season so you can get them at the Coyotes games)

Comments

big dick: smarties are good

Load Metric
    Name:  o.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  73.1 KB
    Poutine Confirmed, because I ate it at a restaurant and took a picture of it. This one had smoked brisket on it, so maybe 2 birds with 1 stone?

Comments

Hockey Guy: The green onions were a good choice

Load Metric
    Yeah I've never had any of that shit but a few do look decent.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I want the Montreal smoked meat.

I used to always load up on Kinder Eggs for Benjamin when I went to Canada.

Load Metric
    I want those Ruffles chips!

Load Metric
    There is a candy named Smarties in the US, but its not the same shit you guys and the Euros have. It's nothing special, a filler halloween candy.

Trademark issues make it tough to sell your smarties in the US, just like importing Cadbury products to the US. Fuck Hershey.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/ny...-the-pond.html

With that said, I can buy Crunchies and Flakes and shit like that at any local grocery store pretty much, which is a fine substitute for the Dairy Milk.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Kinder Eggs are actually banned in the USA (for having small toy parts INSIDE of the eggs). Pretty ridiculous, yes, but that's why you cannot get this rather tasty Ferraro Rocher product in the States.

According to this article, you can be fined $1,200 per egg at US Customs for trying to "import" them into America...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10055273.html

Comments

Hockey Guy: The fine info is also in the article I linked in the OP.

Load Metric

Kinder Eggs are actually banned in the USA (for having small toy parts INSIDE of the eggs). Pretty ridiculous, yes, but that's why you cannot get this rather tasty Ferrero Rocher product in the States.

According to this article, you can be fined $1,200 per egg at US Customs for trying to "import" them into America...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10055273.html

Load Metric
    Don't think i've gone a week without smarties since i was 3 months old.

But those kinder eggs do look lethal and can see why they're banned in America for 'safety reasons' tbf.

At least assault rifles come with a safety catch.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    There is a candy named Smarties in the US, but its not the same shit you guys and the Euros have. It's nothing special, a filler halloween candy.

Smarties are

:god

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Don't think i've gone a week without smarties since i was 3 months old.

But those kinder eggs do look lethal and can see why they're banned in America for 'safety reasons' tbf.

At least assault rifles come with a safety catch.
    This is also why you're pushing three bills with all due respect.

Load Metric
    There have been several Poutine places that have opened up in Chicago over the past 5 years.

Hipsters kind of ruined the fad.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

Smarties are

:god
    Good Lord, you set a very low bar for the :god tag.

Load Metric

Trademark issues make it tough to sell your smarties in the US, just like importing Cadbury products to the US. Fuck Hershey.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/ny...-the-pond.html

With that said, I can buy Crunchies and Flakes and shit like that at any local grocery store pretty much, which is a fine substitute for the Dairy Milk.
    For us these are called rockets.

Comments

Hockey Guy: rockets rep.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    There have been several Poutine places that have opened up in Chicago over the past 5 years.

Hipsters kind of ruined the fad.
    If we could only figure out a way to get the hipsters interested in importing furry french girls from quebec, we'd be all set.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Don't worry, we are apparently (and unfortunately) light years ahead of you when it comes to Smarties...

Meth resembling Smarties candy found at California middle school

IONE, Calif. -- A middle school student at a school in California was caught snorting methamphetamine that was packaged to resemble Smarties candy.

The incident happened at Ione Middle School during lunch on Monday when staff noticed two students acting strangely.

One of the students, an eighth grader, brought the pink tablet to his nose and sniffed it.

"After he had it up around his nose he took some and gave it to another student," Ione Junior High Principal Bill Murray told KTXL.

When the student was asked about the tablet, he said it was candy. Upon testing of the tablet, it tested positive for MDMA/Methamphetamines.

Murray said he's shocked to see serious drugs in the hands of young teens.

"It's the first time in my career I've ever had this, and I've been in the business 46 years," Murray said.

Police said they believe this is an isolated incident. The 14-year-old student faces a charge of being in possession of a controlled substance.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/04/07/m...in-california/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Don't worry, we are apparently (and unfortunately) light years ahead of you when it comes to Smarties...

Meth resembling Smarties candy found at California middle school

IONE, Calif. -- A middle school student at a school in California was caught snorting methamphetamine that was packaged to resemble Smarties candy.

The incident happened at Ione Middle School during lunch on Monday when staff noticed two students acting strangely.

One of the students, an eighth grader, brought the pink tablet to his nose and sniffed it.

"After he had it up around his nose he took some and gave it to another student," Ione Junior High Principal Bill Murray told KTXL.

When the student was asked about the tablet, he said it was candy. Upon testing of the tablet, it tested positive for MDMA/Methamphetamines.

Murray said he's shocked to see serious drugs in the hands of young teens.

"It's the first time in my career I've ever had this, and I've been in the business 46 years," Murray said.

Police said they believe this is an isolated incident. The 14-year-old student faces a charge of being in possession of a controlled substance.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/04/07/m...in-california/
    Is Murray a fucking idiot or is he fucking blind?

Those are also "rockets" here in Canada & not the same "smarties" from the OP.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: blind and naive, IMO rep.

Gordman: Yes he is. 46 years and you never once heard about drugs disguised as candy?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Other than that...

Ketchup Chips: For the life of me, I cannot understand why we don't have these here (same thing with the All Dressed Chips). Believe it or not, the first time I heard the term "Ketchup Chips" as an actual product, was in Jon Lajoie's song "High as Fuck", and i was like...why the hell haven't these been invented yet?? Then I realized they were a real thing, but the U.S. doesn't sell them.

Hickory sticks: I've never seen this actual bag, but I feel like i've seen something very similar to this on shelves somewhere.

Montreal Smoked Meat: Well, America (and me) loves smoked meat, so id bet that this is being made somewhere here.

Kinder Eggs: Yeah, im sure lawyers would be salivating over the chance that those would be sold here and some kid somehow "accidentally mistakes" the toy for food.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I had it in Montreal a LONG LONG time ago. The bartender kept saying he recommended smoked meat but it sounded like smoke weed with his accent. We were all like "ya we all smoke weed hook us up"

Also Hockey guy, they have those flavored chips now in about 50 different flavors

Thread Information