Thread: DEA TO DECIDE ON LEGALITY OF POT IN JULY

Load Metric

DEA TO DECIDE ON LEGALITY OF POT IN JULY

The DEA will decide whether to change course on marijuana by July

Memo also underscores how little marijuana is being made available for research purposes

In a lengthy memo to lawmakers, the Drug Enforcement Administration said it hopes to decide whether to change the federal status of marijuana "in the first half of 2016."

Marijuana is currently listed under the Controlled Substances Act as a Schedule 1 drug, meaning that for the purposes of federal law, the drug has "no medical use and a high potential for abuse" and is one of "the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence." Marijuana shares Schedule 1 status with heroin, and it is more strictly regulated than the powerful prescription painkillers that have killed more than 165,000 people since 1999.

First set in 1970, marijuana's classification under the Controlled Substances Act has become increasingly out of step with scientific research, public opinion, medical use and state law. Citing marijuana's potentially significant therapeutic potential for a number of serious ailments, including chronic pain and epilepsy, organizations such as the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics have called on the DEA to change the drug's scheduling status.

But the DEA has rebuffed numerous previous attempts at rescheduling, sometimes after decades of stonewalling, and in at least one case overrode the recommendation of its own administrative judge. The current petition before the DEA was initiated by then-governors Christine Gregoire of Washington and Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island in 2011. In a previous letter to lawmakers, the DEA indicated it had all the information it needed to make the decision as of last September.

The current memo, written in conjunction with the heads of the Department of Health and Human Services and the Office of National Drug Control Policy, also provides a detailed look at how the federal government provides marijuana to researchers. Currently, the government grants a monopoly on marijuana production for research purposes to one program at the University of Mississippi. "Because of this monopoly, research-grade drugs that meet researchers’ specifications often take years to acquire, if they are produced at all," a Brookings Institution report argued last year.

According to the memo, in the years between 2010 and 2015, the government provided marijuana for research purposes to an average of nine researchers per year. Given the rapidly changing marijuana policy landscape, experts say that level of support is nowhere near enough to keep up with research demand.
    Wonkbook newsletter

Your daily policy cheat sheet from Wonkblog.

"That number is totally insufficient to meet public health needs and to answer the number of [research] questions that pop up yearly," the Brookings Institution's John Hudak said in an interview.

Hudak said the small number of researchers working with marijuana in any given year is less a function of the government turning down applications, and more a function of an onerous, convoluted application process -- one that requires approval from multiple government agencies and deters academics from even pursuing this type of research. "People just aren't applying because of all the headaches involved," he said. "It's a huge disincentive for the academic community."

The bureaucratic hurdles also mean that colleges and universities are often hesitant to fund marijuana research for fear of running afoul of complex federal regulations. One ongoing study on the use of marijuana to treat veterans with PTSD has been struggling to get off the ground for more than five years, for instance.

Meanwhile, researchers say, families desperate for relief for loved ones' ailments are taking matters into their own hands, moving across state lines and turning to social media to answer complicated questions about marijuana dosing and treatment -- questions to which researchers themselves don't have the answers.

Still, Hudak credits the DEA, HHS and ONDCP for the thoroughness of their response to lawmakers' questions in this instance. In addition to detailed information about the quantity and type of marijuana the federal government makes available to researchers, the memo outlines the steps the government is taking to improve coordination among federal agencies on data quality.
    Some vids at link:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...juana-by-july/

Comments

MumblesBadly: 'Bout fucking time!

Load Metric
    This thread gave me a boner

Comments

Hockey Guy: Having a boner rep.

4Dragons: I gave you a boner rep

Banned
    Load Metric
    Memo also underscores how little marijuana is being made available for research purposes

I hate it when I run out while doing research.

Load Metric
    If weed were bad for you in the short to medium term people would be dropping dead in the streets every day.

Fuck that we need more research. More "research" is done every day then all the other drugs combined in this country. And this is from a non smoker.

Load Metric
    I absolutely LOVED the ganj when I was in high school and college, but legalizing it will be a travesty. Part of the fun of getting blazed was the implicit danger surrounding the process of getting a GRAM of bud and splitting it between four heads. Legalizing weed will essentially end the creativity required before, like smoking in a forest/dog parks/abandoned homes/friend's shed etc... IMO if it's legalized, it loses a lot of the romance. Mind you, I had many close calls, but was never caught by the cops.

Comments

varys: Ugh

vegas1369: Terrible post

Brittney Griner's Clit: absolutely. Also if you feel the need to carry over felony amounts you are for sure a peasant... or part of a cartel

DJ_Chaps: terrible rekkanize terrible ^^

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    I absolutely LOVED the ganj when I was in high school and college, but legalizing it will be a travesty. Part of the fun of getting blazed was the implicit danger surrounding the process of getting a GRAM of bud and splitting it between four heads. Legalizing weed will essentially end the creativity required before, like smoking in a forest/dog parks/abandoned homes/friend's shed etc... IMO if it's legalized, it loses a lot of the romance. Mind you, I had many close calls, but was never caught by the cops.

This post literally says, "I smoked to try and be cool."

Comments

Mintjewlips: druff but fair

Silver
    Load Metric
    Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they kept it schedule 1 because they are irrational assholes that can't admit failure.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they kept it schedule 1 because they are irrational assholes that can't admit failure.
    DEA does the Executive Branch's bidding. The Executive Branch 'Evolved' it's way of thinking in like 2009. That there is even an announcement of this is pretty much telling you what you need to know. Or i'm completely wrong.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    DEA does the Executive Branch's bidding. The Executive Branch 'Evolved' it's way of thinking in like 2009. That there is even an announcement of this is pretty much telling you what you need to know. Or i'm completely wrong.
    It depends upon how aggressive the prez wants to press a particular agenda. Because if the prez doesn't like what an agency is doing, he/she would need to either successfully pressure the agency head or replace outright with an interim appointment. Because the heads of major agencies have to approved by Congress. And if Congress doesn't play along, the prez can only appoint an interim agency head *after* the permanent head resigns.

With respect to the DEA, Obama was an idiot and didn't immediately replace Bush's toady when he came into office. Here's the former DEA head/conservative dipshit that Obama didn't replace until last year who said before Congress that pot was just as dangerous as heroin just a few years ago.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 283
Size:  18.6 KB

And she ignored Obama's publicly stated policy to not go after state-approved medical pot dispensaries.

https://m.dailykos.com/story/2010/2/15/837065/-
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

It depends upon how aggressive the prez wants to press a particular agenda. Because if the prez doesn't like what an agency is doing, he/she would need to either successfully pressure the agency head or replace outright with an interim appointment. Because the heads of major agencies have to approved by Congress. And if Congress doesn't play along, the prez can only appoint an interim agency head *after* the permanent head resigns.

With respect to the DEA, Obama was an idiot and didn't immediately replace Bush's toady when he came into office. Here's the former DEA head/conservative dipshit that Obama didn't replace until last year who said before Congress that pot was just as dangerous as heroin just a few years ago.

And she ignored Obama's publicly stated policy to not go after state-approved medical pot dispensaries.

So let's get this straight, you post that the head of the DEA left last year and they make this decision just after she leaves? It's like your supposed to hear bells going off in your head, but I think i'd have to throw the bell at you before you noticed.

Load Metric
    The legality of drugs should be left up to the states.

I think with the legalization of marijuana spreading, it's only a matter of time that states legalize it completely and tax the shit out of it.

If you had bet me a years worth of my salary 6 years ago that Texas would have legal medical marijuana and eventually restricted recreational marijuana, i would have given you 10-1 and lost.

Although recreational marijuana is not legal in Texas, the penalties in the majority of our county's have lessened, in the liberal county's as long as you dont have over an ounce on you and aren't driving while intoxicated, they don't care.

I was surprised to find out 3 years ago that Texas had medical marijuana in some places. It's was for severely ill people tho, like extreme back pain or cancer patients, and it was only given to those who qualified and requested it. And the rumor is the greedy politicians who once pandered to their bible thumping constituents and the prison lobby's in the state, have seen the major success in colorado and are planing to implement a similar system but with way more restrictions. I can't wait to see how they sell this to the ideologues in east and west Texas. I'm sure the prison lobbys will be working overtime to get support from the bible thumpers.

Load Metric
    Just a matter of time till the dominoes fall... Except for in shitholes like Mississippi.

Comments

Mintjewlips: SFTRUE

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Just a matter of time till the dominoes fall... Except for in shitholes like Mississippi.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I CANT WAIT til this is legal so there is a 100 percent chance the weed I get is pumped up on the good chemicals!!! Right now I sometimes still get this home grown garbage. I look forward to the day when respectable businesses like Philip Morris look out for my safety. I'm gonna laugh at all the suckers going to Whole Foods to buy their faggot Organic Weed for 1000 dollars an ounce when I can pick up a pack of Marlboro Greens for 10 dollars.

Oh fuckk... There's really gonna be Marlboro Green's aren't there.

Am I wrong that if this is made legal it won't really be legal. As in only Big Pharma can grow it and it's illegal for anyone else to grow it?
    Last edited by Brittney Griner's Clit; 04-07-2016 at 01:47 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

So let's get this straight, you post that the head of the DEA left last year and they make this decision just after she leaves? It's like your supposed to hear bells going off in your head, but I think i'd have to throw the bell at you before you noticed.
    Before the last midterm election, Obama was a chickenshit and didnt have the balls to push her out even though she openly defied him regarding raiding state-approved pot dispensaries. But after the (again) disastrous midterm election, he apparently said "Fuck being scared of the GOP". Because while the GOP won't approve of his interim appointment to the DEA, that guy *is* working to implement Obama's stated policy of de-escalating the War on Drugs.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Apparently I didn't throw that bell hard enough.

Banned
    Load Metric
    You couldn't put a dent in that thing if you shot the bell out of a cannon.

Load Metric
    The point you are not recognizing that I'm pointing out is that the heads of US agencies don't *always* do "the bidding" of the president, which is what you implied in your post that responded to.

A great example is the back-to-back firings of the interim heads of the DoJ by Nixon in order to get one to fire the Watergate Special Prosecutor, an affair thst came to known as the Saturday Night Massacre.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...s/102173-2.htm

Another is when the head of the IRS wouldn't follow Nixon's request to audit a list of Nixon's "enemies" before the 1972 election in order to further disrupt the Democrats chances in the upcoming election.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...nixon/2360951/

So, the "bell" bounces right back at your think head.

Load Metric
    If you want to keep current with marijuana law, this is by far the best resource on the net:
    http://www.cannalawblog.com
    They are currently doing a "countdown" of each states' laws.
    http://www.cannalawblog.com/state-of-cannabis-missouri/

Thread Information