Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Valets at The Parking Spot Los Angeles had a hip hop party in my car

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Remember this thread?

Daughter called me other day. She went to a concert in LA. Parked in a strip mall lot and was towed. $465 dollars - storage and towing.

Driving back to Vegas her transmission starts to act up. Luckily or coincidently there was a recall so she lucked out with a new transmission.

She is nuclear. Wants to sue. Lot had a cardboard (not metal permanent) sign. She thinks this is a code violation.

My advice?

Find the store owner or strip mall guard next time and open your wallet. Take care of your people kid.

I ain't helping you on this one.
    That's bad advice.

Your daughter fell into the "after hours strip mall" tow trap/scam.

They hide tow trucks nearby, and an employee of the towing company hides in a vehicle, watching anyone who parks in the lot. As soon as someone steps off property and gets far enough away to not notice what's going on, they rush the tow truck into the lot, and the vehicle is gone within 5 minutes.

The strip mall owner gets a substantial kickback from the whole thing.

I actually posted about this scam last year (in relation to a news story about it), and jsearles spent several pages arguing with me like a douche, insisting that there was nothing wrong with laws that enable this. (This is despite the fact that his OWN state passed laws against this practice.)

Anyway, the correct advice to your daughter was to never park in a "too good to be true" strip mall in places where parking is tough.

Tipping the parking lot attendant or anyone else in the area wouldn't have helped, because they are making big bucks on each tow. If your daughter found the guy in charge and slipped him a $20, he would have laughed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    The difference between Druff and I in this situation, is that the dumbass valet would have not ruined my drive home.
    It didn't ruin my drive home.

There was no actual damage (from what I can tell), and I knew I couldn't do anything about it until Monday.

I decided to post about it here because I thought it would be an interesting topic for PFA.

I am going to talk to them on Monday and follow this up, and see what I can find out. I do feel my privacy and property were violated, so I do hope the asshole who did it gets fired. But I'm not letting it rule my life or thoughts, even right after it happened.

If the manager refuses to refund me, I will charge it back on my credit card and let the chips fall where they may.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The difference between Druff and I in this situation, is that the dumbass valet would have not ruined my drive home.

There was no actual damage (from what I can tell), and I knew I couldn't do anything about it until Monday.

I decided to post about it here because I thought it would be an interesting topic for PFA.

I am going to talk to them on Monday and follow this up, and see what I can find out. I do feel my privacy and property were violated, so I do hope the asshole who did it gets fired. But I'm not letting it rule my life or thoughts, even right after it happened.

If the manager refuses to refund me, I will charge it back on my credit card and let the chips fall where they may.

So you were not upset by this?

Is this just a jew angle shoot to get free parking? If so my hat is off to you. Well played.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Is this just a jew angle shoot to get free parking? If so my hat is off to you. Well played.
    Yes, I was upset by this, but not enough to ruin the rest of the evening.

It's actually not a Jew angle shoot for free parking. If it were that, I would have tried to pressure the assistant manager to just refund my money right there. I didn't, an just left after he took the report.

Instead I am going to talk to the general manager on Monday, so they can actually look into it and maybe catch who did it.

The refund part is simply because I don't believe I should have to pay for this "service" because I did not get what I paid for (basically to have my car professionally parked and not tampered with).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Remember this thread?

Daughter called me other day. She went to a concert in LA. Parked in a strip mall lot and was towed. $465 dollars - storage and towing.

Driving back to Vegas her transmission starts to act up. Luckily or coincidently there was a recall so she lucked out with a new transmission.

She is nuclear. Wants to sue. Lot had a cardboard (not metal permanent) sign. She thinks this is a code violation.

My advice?

Find the store owner or strip mall guard next time and open your wallet. Take care of your people kid.

I ain't helping you on this one.
    That's bad advice.

Your daughter fell into the "after hours strip mall" tow trap/scam.

They hide tow trucks nearby, and an employee of the towing company hides in a vehicle, watching anyone who parks in the lot. As soon as someone steps off property and gets far enough away to not notice what's going on, they rush the tow truck into the lot, and the vehicle is gone within 5 minutes.

I actually posted about this scam last year (in relation to a news story about it), and jsearles spent several pages arguing with me like a douche, insisting that there was nothing wrong with laws that enable this. (This is despite that his OWN state passed laws against this practice.)

Anyway, the correct advice to your daughter was to never park in a "too good to be true" strip mall in places where parking is tough.

Tipping the parking lot attendant or anyone else in the area wouldn't have helped, because they are making big bucks on each tow. If your daughter found the guy in charge and slipped him a $20, he would have laughed.
    It was a quality thread.

The thread brought the issue front and center and I found myself echoing word for word what was discussed there. The kickback between tow operator and property owner. I am not niave, but I never gave it much thought before.

I was conscious while talking to her that I was plagerizing PFA without credit and was laughing to myself, all along.

Was my advice bad? That's harsh. You are presuming the $20 price. We will examine that. The approach & transaction philosophy will serve her well.

The $465 charge clearly reveals the size of the kickback. $20 certainly is not the number. Having identified the player, if she can, you negotiate and come to terms. Maybe no deal results but you are not gonna get something for nothing. She thought she might and was promptly re-educated.

My experience bribing for strip mall parking ideally results in getting an employee parking space. I have had clerks go out and move their car and give me their spot. I try to get them to write up a paper sign for the dash.

I frequent a club in Allston, Boston suburb, for live bands. This is exactly my script those nights.

This is a tip I forgot to tell my daughter.

Great fatherly advice. It is my job to ramp up her cynicism and remove any childlike notion of trust and idealism in the fairness of life.

Hopefully this experience inspires her boyfriend who is in a band to write a song on the subject.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm a little confused. I presume she parked in that strip mall to avoid a parking lot charging $20 or so.

So tipping more than $20 in that situation would be self-defeating, unless there is absolutely zero towing in the area.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Druff runs like god in these situations not to mention he may escalate these situations for forum fodder. So yeah, can't really blame him for over playing this hand. Since your this far let's see if you can earn your Jewish black belt 3rd degree by getting a manager approved full refund, good luck.

You don't deserve a refund that's for sure, but good luck any ways
    Last edited by FPS_Russia; 04-03-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I barely skimmed this thread, but the correct answer to pretty much any situation in Los Angeles where parking is difficult or alcohol is involved is to uber everywhere. You really will be saving s ton of money and stress in the long run.

Comments

Charham: I havn't parked at an airport in years thanks to Uber! I even spring for the black car for family trips.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS_Russia View Post

Druff runs like god in these situations not to mention he may escalate these situations for forum fodder. So yeah, can't really blame him for over playing this hand. Since your this far let's see if you can earn your Jewish black belt 3rd degree by getting a manager approved full refund, good luck.

Why don't I deserve a refund?

Do you not believe my car was tampered with?

Do you believe that I the service I paid $124 for should allow the valet to tamper with my radio, nav system, and God knows what else, and clearly spend far more time in my vehicle than he was supposed to?

I will concede that they may deny the whole thing and not offer a refund, but only because they will assume I can't prove it.

If I could prove this happened in court (which I can't), I would likely win a small claims case against them (for at least the refund), as they did not provide the service as contracted. (An employee tampering with my car for fun while in their possession is a violation of the "contract" I have with them to park my car.) My only difficulty would be proving it, but if they showed up in court and admitted this happened, I would highly likely emerge as a winner.

So I'm confused why you think I don't deserve it. For some reason you keep insisting that it's no biggie that a parking attendant fucks around with your car while you're gone. I don't get it.

Load Metric
    they should make the guy who runs the parking company be your personal butler for like a week.

Comments

The_Lurker: at least 2 weeks

gauchojake: HOF

Load Metric
    I'm a little confused. I presume she parked in that strip mall to avoid a parking lot charging $20 or so.

So tipping more than $20 in that situation would be self-defeating, unless there is absolutely zero towing in the area.
    Nothing was available.

East Coast bias never considers parking cost. Usually, the only question, "is there any parking?" Period.

Bryce Canyon today. West Coast bias. I am playing the game wrong.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 717
Size:  329.0 KB

I am drifting further & further off topic. I fold.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: this or reriase

The_Lurker: Bryce canyon is the most beautiful place I have ever been

Jayjami: Let's take Utah back from the Mormons.

big dick: Im gonna drive there this summer.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    nice to think some fat greasy loser farted up that sweet Corinthian leather and playen shit music on a Bang & Olufsen stereo after only playing 80s hits since new..... time to sell i think.

nuke em
    B&O is usually on Audis. BMWs have Karmen Hardon.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: Either are top top
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    nice to think some fat greasy loser farted up that sweet Corinthian leather and playen shit music on a Bang & Olufsen stereo after only playing 80s hits since new..... time to sell i think.

nuke em
    Which ones have Blaupunkt? They're the nuts at least they were back in the 70's & 80's.

Fuck I'm old.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: Gezer rep
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post

Which ones have Blaupunkt? They're the nuts at least they were back in the 70's & 80's.

Fuck I'm old.
    Alfa's

Load Metric
    The Lurker is becoming quite the Seales aka quite the troll. Tight life.

Fucking tool

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

Fucking tool

At least I'm not a racist closet queen

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS_Russia View Post

Why don't I deserve a refund?

Do you not believe my car was tampered with?

Do you believe that I the service I paid $124 for should allow the valet to tamper with my radio, nav system, and God knows what else, and clearly spend far more time in my vehicle than he was supposed to?

I will concede that they may deny the whole thing and not offer a refund, but only because they will assume I can't prove it.

If I could prove this happened in court (which I can't), I would likely win a small claims case against them (for at least the refund), as they did not provide the service as contracted. (An employee tampering with my car for fun while in their possession is a violation of the "contract" I have with them to park my car.) My only difficulty would be proving it, but if they showed up in court and admitted this happened, I would highly likely emerge as a winner.

So I'm confused why you think I don't deserve it. For some reason you keep insisting that it's no biggie that a parking attendant fucks around with your car while you're gone. I don't get it.
    Using your definition of tamper. You don't deserve a refund because you dropped your car with a valet knowing they would tamper with it. You know, turning the steering wheel, hitting the brakes, turning the ignition off n on, removing the keys, locking and unlocking the doors.
    Last edited by FPS_Russia; 04-03-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

Fucking tool

At least I'm not a racist closet queen

PFA supports Twinks for Trump, don't get it twisted.

Name:  trumpcrop1.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  56.6 KB

Load Metric

It's actually not a Jew angle shoot for free parking. If it were that, I would have tried to pressure the assistant manager to just refund my money right there. I didn't, an just left after he took the report.

Instead I am going to talk to the general manager on Monday, so they can actually look into it and maybe catch who did it.

The refund part is simply because I don't believe I should have to pay for this "service" because I did not get what I paid for (basically to have my car professionally parked and not tampered with).
    You are gonna try and get the guy fired?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post

You are gonna try and get the guy fired?
    This is the man that will refuse payment/slow-pay free roll winners if they aren't polite to him on the internets

Thread Information