Thread: Gripsed View Botting? Does he have a moral obligation to do right by the twitch community?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Gripsed View Botting? Does he have a moral obligation to do right by the twitch community?

Curious what you guys feel about this? Jamie Staples even responded with what appears to be proof something isn't right.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/24...55/index3.html

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Also I tried to ask him about it on his training site/facebook page and was blocked from writing on his wall again. LOL.

Load Metric
    Also I tried to ask him about it on his training site/facebook page and was blocked from writing on his wall again. LOL.
    Other people have reported being banned from the Twitch stream for the same question. SOP at this point I presume.

Well, I'm against view-botting. Then again, I started the 2+2 thread you linked to heh. That all originated from Reddit's /r/poker forum, where another discussion is ongoing as well (Jaime Staples included). Here are the relevant links:

Original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/poker/comme...aud_on_twitch/
    Staples follow-up thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/poker/comme...sed_situation/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The data don't lie in this case. One form of revenue for partnered twitch streamers is from ads they should care a lot about this because they are paying him for fake viewers.

I noticed he had a ton of viewers that shot up at once and the only way that happens so quickly is if you are Jason Somerville or get hosted by a streamer who had a ton of viewers before shutting down for the day.

When someone with a ton of viewers hosts a guy who has say 100 viewers they will shoot up to a high amount like 1000 or so but if you check how many viewers that streamer has in 5 minutes then 10 minutes it will drop off significantly since they only stay around for so long. These people do not stay watching forever like many have already said in these threads so it's very obvious that Gripsed (Evan Jarvis) stream contains view botting.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    The data don't lie in this case. One form of revenue for partnered twitch streamers is from ads they should care a lot about this because they are paying him for fake viewers.

I noticed he had a ton of viewers that shot up at once and the only way that happens so quickly is if you are Jason Somerville or get hosted by a streamer who had a ton of viewers before shutting down for the day.

When someone with a ton of viewers hosts a guy who has say 100 viewers they will shoot up to a high amount like 1000 or so but if you check how many viewers that streamer has in 5 minutes then 10 minutes it will drop off significantly since they only stay around for so long. These people do not stay watching forever like many have already said in these threads so it's very obvious that Gripsed (Evan Jarvis) stream contains view botting.

From how I understand it Twitch doesn't end up paying for view bot ads as they don't see ads. But they essentially make ads less valuable in the long run. As price of ads are based off real viewers. I'm not exactly sure how this translates to dollars and cents and how much Twitch bottom line is affected by this sort of thing.

I happened to hear about it in a stream earlier so I looked up read about it an figured I'd get your guys opinion on it. This would have to be classified as shady. He's essentially stealing other peoples place who have earned their spot. Right? Casual viewers tend to lean to the top 5-10 spots. So if he's consistently view botting up there and he's a partner, that's kind of shitting on streamers who are trying to work their way up to the top in a legit way without breaking Twitch TOS.

Curious on the morality behind it. Or if people frankly don't give a shit.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMyNuts21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

From how I understand it Twitch doesn't end up paying for view bot ads as they don't see ads. But they essentially make ads less valuable in the long run. As price of ads are based off real viewers. I'm not exactly sure how this translates to dollars and cents and how much Twitch bottom line is affected by this sort of thing.

I happened to hear about it in a stream earlier so I looked up read about it an figured I'd get your guys opinion on it. This would have to be classified as shady. He's essentially stealing other peoples place who have earned their spot. Right? Casual viewers tend to lean to the top 5-10 spots. So if he's consistently view botting up there and he's a partner, that's kind of shitting on streamers who are trying to work their way up to the top in a legit way without breaking Twitch TOS.

Curious on the morality behind it. Or if people frankly don't give a shit.
    I didn't think about it that way regarding not seeing ads which people with ad block on don't see either so you are right on that.

View botting is a very shady practice. The guys who already have a huge following aren't likely to see too many dips since their regulars will come out but it could take away a bit of growth from newer people who might go to the view botted stream instead of others at the top. It also sends a bad message to the little guy trying to grow a stream that cheating is the way to get to the top, which it isn't.

If you go to a twitch stream where nobody is talking and look at the user list in chat seeing only 20 names in a stream that says it has 1000 viewers watcing it's quite obvious the streamer is view botting too.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Gripsed seems to only stream on Sundays and always pumping some kind of product. View botting can help get viewers to notice his channel (since it appears on the top of the poker directory) but ultimately if his content sucks no one is going to stay. Not sure how the revenue sharing works with ads - - I would guess most of their income would come from subscribers who pay $4.95 a month.

The mind boggling thing to me is the amount of donations some of these streamers get. Jaime Staples and his roommates all get 1000s of viewers. One of the roommates (Kevin) plays $2 - $20 MTTs full time (says he makes his living from Twitch) - - and I've seen one person donate up to $1000 to him over the course of a couple months!

I'd much rather "subscribe" to PFA and give Druff $5 a month. Much more deserving of my $5 than watching some dude play poker on twitch.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMyNuts21 View Post
    Curious what you guys feel about this? Jamie Staples even responded with what appears to be proof something isn't right.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/24...55/index3.html
    This just goes to show -- and to prove what I've being saying for years -- there is no such thing as a "community" anything!

It's dog eat dog and that's the way it should be!

When I sit down at a poker cash game or tournament, I'm there to make MONEY -- NOT friends!

And, that always is and will forever be the bottom line for me, while it comes to poker or any other thing involving making money.

I can sit down at a cash game or tournament for 6 hours straight and not say a word to ANYBODY. And, that's just how I like it! Just call me Helen Keller!

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by drake View Post
    Gripsed seems to only stream on Sundays and always pumping some kind of product. View botting can help get viewers to notice his channel (since it appears on the top of the poker directory) but ultimately if his content sucks no one is going to stay. Not sure how the revenue sharing works with ads - - I would guess most of their income would come from subscribers who pay $4.95 a month.

The mind boggling thing to me is the amount of donations some of these streamers get. Jaime Staples and his roommates all get 1000s of viewers. One of the roommates (Kevin) plays $2 - $20 MTTs full time (says he makes his living from Twitch) - - and I've seen one person donate up to $1000 to him over the course of a couple months!

I'd much rather "subscribe" to PFA and give Druff $5 a month. Much more deserving of my $5 than watching some dude play poker on twitch.
    Up to $1,000, you say?

Fucking FOOLS who deserve what they get!

LOL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    What douche this guy is. This is his response video to what happened.

NOTE: You might not even want to watch this shit since it's really a waste of time.
    Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 03-24-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Thread Information