View Poll Results: Do you support free speech even of folks you think are idiots?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It is a basic human right.

6 85.71%
  • No. Rabble rousers should be carted off to prison.

1 14.29%

Thread: Are you for or against free speech?

Load Metric

Are you for or against free speech?

Watch and vote.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I believe in the first amendment...which says Congress shall not abridge freedom of speech...but that is not the same as someone being able to say anything they want anywhere at anytime

Comments

Tellafriend: Maybe a lawyer rep
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 02-26-2016 at 11:41 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I believe in the first amendment...which says Congress shall not abridge freedom of speech...but that is not the same as someone being able to say anything they want anywhere at anytime
    Perhaps you need to remember that constitutional law in the US is determined by the *court precedent* per case law, *not* simply by referring to the original text. Because the SCOTUS rulings on 1st Amendment rights extend to also limiting the ability of state and local government to ban speech.
    http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/...estions-speech

And that is also why *local* governments can't ban those annoying sign spinners on sidewalks even if it has ordinances restricting billboards and business signage. Because case precedent has determined it to be a protected form of speech.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Amendment I

Perhaps you need to remember that constitutional law in the US is determined by the *court precedent* per case law, *not* simply by referring to the original text. Because the SCOTUS rulings on 1st Amendment rights extend to also limiting the ability of state and local government to ban speech.

And that is also why *local* governments can't ban those annoying sign spinners on sidewalks even if it has ordinances restricting billboards and business signage. Because case precedent has determined it to be a protected form of speech.
    mumbles, first you need to remember what you asked..."Do you support free speech?" i'd like you to please define what you mean by free speech...i gave you a hint by quoting the first amendment, which limits the ability of Congress to curtail free speech

i will engage you no more on this topic
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Amendment I

Free speech is important. However I would like to propose another factor to take into consideration when putting this argument forward, and this would be the not wholly inappropriate or discourteous request for you to shut the fuck up.

Comments

MumblesBadly: I respect your right to make that request. But, alas, I can't in good conscience comply.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    PREMIUM CONTENT

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    PREMIUM CONTENT
    Are you for or against Premium Content?

Thread Information