Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Molly's Game" movie about poker superhost Molly Bloom being cast, to be produced by Amy Pascal

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    While trailers are often misleading, I don't have a lot of optimism about this one.

I didn't read the book, so maybe people can help me out here. Did the trailer seem to follow along with the book?

I ask this because the trailer seems to paint Molly as a persecuted and highly moral woman who had to start these underground poker games in order to strike out on her own after being mistreated by various people (mostly men) who underestimated her.

Then the bust came down, and she ended up with the scrappy lawyer who was willing to take on forces much more powerful than him -- a plot point lifted directly from Erin Brockovich.

So is this really a look into the interesting nosebleed private poker game scene, and the woman who rose to be the queen of it, or is it another "mistreated girl forges her own path, then fights the powers against her" type film? Seems more like the latter, in which case it will suck.

Durff, i bet you i can name a few classics and i bet you've seen none of them.

Ever see Mean Streets?

you probably haven't.

which means your knowledge/ opinion on movies (and their trailers) is as much as my knowledge of Kansas City Lowball.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    I Read the book sometime last year and did enjoy it. A big part of its appeal was that Molly named names, and didn't seem to hold back. Actors, gangsters, etc. (She even included some table banter, I recall an instance of Ben Affleck being quizzed by the table about JLo's ass, for instance.)
    If the movie strays too far from her real story then it'll probably be just meh.

Load Metric

I didn't read the book, so maybe people can help me out here. Did the trailer seem to follow along with the book?

... and it would appear you have no interest in ever reading it

I have always been struck by the fact you haven't read any of the books that chronicled the poker boom. We had a lot of discussion on this board about Tzvetkoff and we even had Chad Elie on the show and yet you were never interested enough to read Alligator Blood.

Speaking of another Molly, you never read "The Best Team Money Can Buy" by Molly Knight - a recent release about the fail history of the Dodgers. You would have a better appreciation for how remarkable this season has been in the context of the long history of stupidity. The whole summer would have been even more astounding and fun for you.

So if poker and the Dodgers can't inspire a guy with reasonable intelligence & plenty of free time to read you gotta wonder what the deal is.

The Huff Post, Twitter and 2+2 is not literature.

Is reading an east coast thing Kunt?

Comments

MumblesBadly: He likely gets most of his "information" from Breitbart and Drudge Report headlines, rounded off with "Louder with Crowder" videos.

Load Metric
    Let's simmer it down a notch Sally

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Interesting radio show interview of the real Molly Bloom during the media blitz for her book from a few years ago.

Perhaps Drexel can reach out through his connections to ask her to agree to do a call-in to the PFA radio show...

Oh, wait. I forgot the scathing indictment that Druff posted above about the movie based on its trailer. That might put a damper on that possibility.
    Why did they cut away from live when she showed up? Is she fat now or something?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Interesting radio show interview of the real Molly Bloom during the media blitz for her book from a few years ago.

Perhaps Drexel can reach out through his connections to ask her to agree to do a call-in to the PFA radio show...

Oh, wait. I forgot the scathing indictment that Druff posted above about the movie based on its trailer. That might put a damper on that possibility.
    Why did they cut away from live when she showed up? Is she fat now or something?
    If by "now", do you mean "3 years ago"? 'Cuz that's when this *radio* show interview was recorded (during the book's media tour). Here's a video still of her from another interview about that time. Do you think she looks embarassed about her looks to keep it hidden from public view?

Name:  IMG_7070.PNG
Views: 653
Size:  1.75 MB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

I have always been struck by the fact you haven't read any of the books that chronicled the poker boom. We had a lot of discussion on this board about Tzvetkoff and we even had Chad Elie on the show and yet you were never interested enough to read Alligator Blood.

Speaking of another Molly, you never read "The Best Team Money Can Buy" by Molly Knight - a recent release about the fail history of the Dodgers. You would have a better appreciation for how remarkable this season has been in the context of the long history of stupidity. The whole summer would have been even more astounding and fun for you.

So if poker and the Dodgers can't inspire a guy with reasonable intelligence & plenty of free time to read you gotta wonder what the deal is.

Much of the criticism of the Dodgers is obsolete at this point -- even some of it from previous years where, despite making some mistakes, they held onto important prospects like Bellinger, and even made a few good fringe signings like Turner.

Didn't read Molly's Game because books about one particular topic in poker become too long to hold my interest.

I fear that this movie will be a fail because, as Kuntmissioner pointed out, the most interesting part of Molly's story involves the celebrities who played the game. If they can't be named, much of the intrigue here is lost.

And it seems like from the trailer they are turning it into a story of a victimized, almost-saintly girl who had to forge her own path and fight an unfair indictment.

And that's just not really very interesting, nor is it true.

This isn't about sexism, as Young Larry is intimating.

In fact, I would love to see a chronicle of Molly's actual story without the whitewashing, showing the good, bad, and ugly sides of her, which led her to be so successful at what she did.

This just looks like a victim/girl-power piece to me, and that wasn't at all the story here.

Load Metric

Didn't read Molly's Game because books about one particular topic in poker become too long to hold my interest.

In fact, I would love to see a chronicle of Molly's actual story without the whitewashing, showing the good, bad, and ugly sides of her, which led her to be so successful at what she did.
    So you would like to see the movie hold more true to the book - but you won't read the book.

Movies because of their limits - particularly length - force screen writers to make an adaption which is done through the prism of what interested them about the story or what they think the audience will enjoy.

The Blind Side took a certain inspiration from the book but was hardly a lesson in the economics of football. Why the least valued person in America (homeless, fatherless black 13 yr old) became the most valuable teenager coming out of high school.

Pretty Sandra Bullock played better for the masses.

As with most books you can draw what you like from the events as the are related. You might find more interest in the players and their disregard for money and their reasons for playing. Personally, most of the great poker stories have been tales about how people totally unprepared for an opportunity adapted, exploit and undergo a personal metamorphosis.

A high school pizza boy in Australia becomes one of the most important players during the poker boom - Tzvetkoff. Chad Elie similarly was unprepared. He wasn't finance. These guys were fearless opportunists. Molly is a similar story of kismet and opportunism.

This is how movies work Druff. You get a subset.

The failure here is your own

Comments

Prodigal son: Rofl

Load Metric
    The truth about Molly Bloom becomes the truth about Druff hating books.

Comments

Sanlmar: Damn - 200 needless words when only one sentence would do. I gotta work on my game

Kuntmissioner: ROFL

varys: Crushing

ToasterOven: haha
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    The truth about Molly Bloom becomes the truth about Druff hating books.

And women

Comments

Kuntmissioner: sides

sonatine: coge.

ToasterOven: lol

Load Metric
    Why make this into a movie?

She's not even hot enough to be sexually harassed.

Comments

Kuntmissioner: Three for three

varys:

gimmick:

ToasterOven:
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

Much of the criticism of the Dodgers is obsolete at this point -- even some of it from previous years where, despite making some mistakes, they held onto important prospects like Bellinger, and even made a few good fringe signings like Turner.

I fear that this movie will be a fail because, as Kuntmissioner pointed out, the most interesting part of Molly's story involves the celebrities who played the game. If they can't be named, much of the intrigue here is lost.

And it seems like from the trailer they are turning it into a story of a victimized, almost-saintly girl who had to forge her own path and fight an unfair indictment.

And that's just not really very interesting, nor is it true.

This isn't about sexism, as Young Larry is intimating.

This just looks like a victim/girl-power piece to me, and that wasn't at all the story here.
    Druff, it's a two-hour-or-less self-contained big-screen Hollywood studio movie, not a multi-episode Netflix series. The plot has to have dramatic punch even it if means tilting the storytelling to make the "villians" and interpersonal conflicts to be two-dimensional and simplistic.

P.S. And enough T&A to make it palletable for a guy dragged to it by his squeeze.

Name:  IMG_7091.PNG
Views: 514
Size:  520.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_7089.PNG
Views: 560
Size:  757.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_7088.PNG
Views: 500
Size:  912.6 KB
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 08-21-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Silver
    Load Metric

If by "now", do you mean "3 years ago"? 'Cuz that's when this *radio* show interview was recorded (during the book's media tour). Here's a video still of her from another interview about that time. Do you think she looks embarassed about her looks to keep it hidden from public view?

Pretty obvious from watching the radio interview she told them she wouldn't appear on camera. Maybe she was pregnant or something but it was weird for her not to want the cameras on her.

She got arrested in a pretty big bust - the Russians in Trump Tower (1 floor below Donald's Penthouse) were part of it - Abe Mosseri, Boosted J, the Trinchers, etc, etc.

She definitely wasn't the first person ever federally charged for running a poker game, so no idea WTF she is talking about there.

Load Metric

Pretty obvious from watching the radio interview she told them she wouldn't appear on camera. Maybe she was pregnant or something but it was weird for her not to want the cameras on her.

She got arrested in a pretty big bust - the Russians in Trump Tower (1 floor below Donald's Penthouse) were part of it - Abe Mosseri, Boosted J, the Trinchers, etc, etc.

She definitely wasn't the first person ever federally charged for running a poker game, so no idea WTF she is talking about there.
    Or a bad hair day, or not comfortable with her makeup. Because she also appeared on camera in other interviews at the time, including on The View at about the same time, and it definitely has a makeup team at the ready for guests.

Load Metric
    The one constant with all the poker scandals during the poker boom has been that the criminal gets to keep the loot.

Sorry Druff.

This has been the only sure thing in poker. It serves to reaffirm my world view too. Tzvetkoff is my personal hero in this regard.

I leave Mollys Game disquieted. The Feds froze her bank accounts. Did she get the money released? What I have found indicates she only gave up $125,000.

I think she will do just fine with the movie rights but I can't find anything showing her end of the deal.

I guess I just have to trust the math in these cases and leave the story with a smile.

GG

On a side note, this is a rare instance where the real life principal in the story is more attractive than the actress playing her.

Edit:
    Special Oscar goes to BGC for enlightening me about merkins. I must be living under a rock but I'm now good for the Valentines Day gift next year. Gonna be HOF.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-23-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Load Metric
    The one constant with all the poker scandals during the poker boom has been that the criminal gets to keep the loot.

Sorry Druff.

This has been the only sure thing in poker. It serves to reaffirm my world view too. Tzvetkoff is my personal hero in this regard.

I leave Mollys Game disquieted. The Feds froze her bank accounts. Did she get the money released? What I have found indicates she only gave up $125,000.

I think she will do just fine with the movie rights but I can't find anything showing her end of the deal.

I guess I just have to trust the math in these cases and leave the story with a smile.

GG

On a side note, this is a rare instance where the real life principal in the story is more attractive than the actress playing her.

Edit:
    Special Oscar goes to BGC for enlightening me about merkins. I must be living under a rock but I'm now good for the Valentines Day gift next year. Gonna be HOF.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Me thinks it's a matter of personal taste. Because almost assuredly, Druff would find Ms. Bloom's "ethnic" beak a deal breaker...

Name:  IMG_7155.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  90.5 KB

...versus the delectable Ms. Chastain's "classic American" visage.

Name:  IMG_7153.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  257.9 KB

Load Metric

Sorry Druff.

GG

Edit:
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Me thinks it's a matter of personal taste. Because almost assuredly, Druff would find Ms. Bloom's "ethnic" beak a deal breaker...

Little too masculine and the red hair. She'll prolly appeal to the female audience

Molly took a beating in the face by some Soparano style thugs in NY. Definitely got her nose broke.

One criticism of the book, especially in the latter half, was how incidents like these were given short shrift.

Load Metric
    The reviews all look great.

Dec 25th. Long wait

I can't see a single reason to trek to the theaters before then.

Load Metric

Little too masculine and the red hair. She'll prolly appeal to the female audience

Molly took a beating in the face by some Soparano style thugs in NY. Definitely got her nose broke.

One criticism of the book, especially in the latter half, was how incidents like these were given short shrift.
    Chastain's red hair is a plus in my book, especially with her other features. But like I said above, it's a matter of taste.

As for Bloom's nose having been broken, absent good plastic surgery, that would have affected the shape of the nasal bridge, not the bulb and tip. Bloom's nasal bridge os quote smooth, with no obvious indication of having been broken. The top part of bulb is quite arched, while the tip swoops down so much, she prolly has to careful to not regularlly bob it into her cosmos.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 10-21-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If the reviews are good, then the movie is probably good.

However, poker fans may still be disappointed in how the movie isn't about poker, and probably not all much about the underground games she ran or the people in them.

Thread Information